[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you do kings and queens? Are monarchs justified in your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1460756955112.jpg (2 MB, 1116x1474) Image search: [Google]
1460756955112.jpg
2 MB, 1116x1474
How do you do kings and queens?

Are monarchs justified in your setting or do you show it for the antiquated political system it is?
>>
File: 2015-04-12 23.47.15.jpg (150 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-12 23.47.15.jpg
150 KB, 640x480
>>47307862
>>47307862
The land of Atmos is ruled by the empress Apollonie of the Sun cult. 100 years ago, she drove off the goblins invasion and united the three race and three regions (North for Elf, Middle for Dwarfs and South for humans).

As a lot of cities and political places has been destroyed by the goblins, she decided to choose her own for each sub-region, based first on merit, but also wealth and popularity.
In some places, those people would simply be called governor, if they were fit to it.
In others, humans by exemple, had used to use the word king for their leader, even if Appolonie nominates them now.
Sometimes, those kings are from old noble family that were lucky enough to stay rich and powrful despite the goblin chaos, and the worthy among them are sometimes nominated as kings.

So, there is actually one king, that has runned the sub-region for 40 years due to his skills, and comes from a noble family, that did manage to get all their wealth back through trading.
>>
>>47307992
are you a fellow french rpg payer ?
>>
>>47307862
Some monarchies are effective and some are not. It depends on who the monarch is and how corrupt their society has become.

The poorest worst-off nation in the setting is a monarchy, but one of the wealthiest most-advanced lands is also one.
>>
You know OP, constitutional monarchy is one of the best political systems there is, even today.
>>
>>47308083
>You know OP, constitutional monarchy is one of the best political systems there is, even today.
Not really. I've yet to see a convincing argument for it.

And a monarchy in which the monarch has no real power can scarcely be called a monarchy.
>>
>>47307862
Up the butt. I can't be doing with no royal illegitimacy issues.
>>
>>47307862
>Antiquated.

Nigga I'm going to ignore your ass hat of a statement, because I'm assuming you're just being cheaky.

But to the point, I like my Monarchs to be realistic, and not just an excuse for lolrandumbsneaksneakstab. You'll have those who grew up in Noble houses believing in the divine right, seeing their crown as a holy duty to the people/tribe, and you have tyrants who see the crown as their right of birth, and their duty to strike against their enemy before they are attacked.
>>
My entire setting is about the power vacume left by the death of the world's sort of gwyn, and the conflicts between his old nobility struggling to keep his order in check and mortal upstarts seeking to appropriate control for themselves, as well as cults attempting to import another god king from the place the old king came from and asshole outcast types taking the opportunity to rampage more or less unchallenged
>>
>>47307862
By actually including proper Feudalism into the system with all the political implications involved, instead of just going "der be Kangz an sheet"

Also, the setting is Bronze Age inspired, so it still kinda works
>>
I was a queen once in a game, only time it's ever directly affected me.

In that situation, it was might makes right.
>>
>>47307862
In my setting, they have minimal power, pretty much just there for show
>>
>not having your nobility be overwhelmingly tiefling/aasimir/sorcerer/favored soul/half giant

Its the only thing that really makes sense desu. Just like in real life, those with the best inherent qualities would inevitably rule over the plebs
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.