[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PERHAPS THE STUPIDEST PROJECT EVER PROPOSED ON /TG/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: fab 5.png (564 KB, 1025x1096) Image search: [Google]
fab 5.png
564 KB, 1025x1096
So, since I can't get Fallout 4 to run on my old comp, and I'm over halfway through binge reading Revenge and Gold quest, I thought I'd stop and propose a silly little project, something in line with old adage "/tg/ gets shit done".

Namely, I noted that, with 5 notable and remembered quests (Though why so few people remember House Bulwark is an interesting question), there's likely more than enough to make a custom deck of /tg/ houses for Game of Thrones, the Living Card Game.

And since I have a few hours to spare, but not enough to actually run my quest, I thought I'd head up this silly, silly project.

Now, I'm going to be basing everything off the SECOND edition, which just recently came out. If you don't know it, or the LCG in general, I plan to explain it shortly.

Here's the preliminary information: a study of the House Decks released in the core set shows that each deck consists of essentially the same load-out:
3 events, 1 Attachment, 4 locations (one being a repeat of another), and 12 characters.
The only deck to violate this is the Night's watch, which sacrifices 2 locations for an extra event and character. So our baselline will be 12 characters, 3 events, 1 attachment, and 4 locations.
>>
>>43626250
So, first off, the logical auto-includes:

Lord William Bordain

Lord Brynden Malroy

Lord Dustain Karban

Lord Artys Harrock

Lord Garrette Brachen.

Personally, I also think we could include

Dontos Malroy

Damien Clawwater

Oskar Stone

and then have 4 non-unique characters.

You may wonder why I picked those three. For Dontos, it's a matter of his excellent character. For the other two, I liked the idea of the deck including some Night's Watch characters, making the custom deck the only one to include such characters, making them an easy deck combination.

Locations, I have to say are a touch trickier, though I think the generic repeated location should be a Mine, given their notorious wealth producing capabilities in GoT threads.

Of course, we could always scrap the generics and add more characters. This is all very off the cuff.

Now, for some basic explanation of the LCG in general, and the 2nd edition in particular.
>>
>>43626349
If you've never played, the Game of Thrones LCG is, logically, a living card game set in the Song of Ice and Fire universe.

The basic goal is to accumulate 15 power before your enemies.

There are three kinds of challenges, each with differing results.

Military challenges represent force of arms, and allow you to kill your opponents characters if successful.

Intrigue challenges represent scheming, treachery, and short-term political manuevering, and force the opponent to discard cards, disrupting his plans if successful.

Power challenges represent establishing political dominance, force of will, and personal presence, and take power from your opponent if successful.

As such, I think it's safe to say that, for instance, William and Malroy likely have military icons, allowing them to participate in military challenges. It's unlikely William has an Intrigue Icon, given his general lack of political acumen.

Now, beyond these basic interactions lies the PLOT cards, which, in addition to having a noteworthy effect, determine your initiative, base gold for the turn, and your claim. In the second edition, they also determine your reserve.

The winner of initiative decides which player acts first, which, depending on the house, could be an advantage or disadvantage.

Gold is what you use to play cards.

And claim determines how much of the resource you affect when you win a relevant challenge. (so if you have claim 2, and win a military challenge, you kill 2 of the opponent's characters)

Reserve is your maximum hand size allowed at end of turn.
>>
>>43626502
Various cards are allowed to affect basically every part of the values I've listed. Some characters improve your initiative, some roles increase reserve, Cersei, for example, raises your claim during Intrigue challenges.
>>
>House Brachen

Ouch man, I miss that quest too much. The pain just came back.
>>
I'm interested.
>>
>>43626349
So let's start with an example that I feel I can definitely weigh in on: William Bordain.

William's a young lord, but is noted as a combat powerhouse. As already discussed, he likely has the military icon, but no intrigue icon. Now, whether he has a power icon is more...technical. Unlike some of the other lords in the quests, William's never really gone out of his way to flex his power as a political entity. In general, he uses his power as a military entity to do that for him. But, on the other hand, he's also known for not being overly impressed or crushed under other's political might. We'll hold off for now.

As far as his strength (the number he adds to challenges he participates in), let's put him at 5. That makes him roughly the equivalent of Eddard Stark, the Knight of the Flowers, and several others. It's toward the top of character power.

Now, assuming all he had was a military icon and 5 strength, he wouldn't be all that impressive. But of course, he needs a special ability as well. And that's where things will get interesting and tricky.

Offhand, a couple ideas spring to mind:
"William does not Kneel when declared as a defender" makes a great deal of sense, given his "outlast them" combat style.
Further, and this is where we can exploit an above mentioned characteristic, we could add:
"He may defend against power challenges as if he had a power icon."

This makes William a notably powerful defender. So for now, let's leave his card at that.

William Bordain
Military
Strength 5
William does not kneel when declared as a defender, and may defend in power challenges as if he had a power icon.

The only thing missing is a cost, which we'll tentatively put it at 5.
>>
>>43626861
Now, while I may be biased, this is also a potentially great spot for our one attachment.

Attachments in game represent conditions or items that affect characters. Longfang, the Watch Commander's Valyrian Steel sword, is an attachment, as is Widow's Wail, or Heartsbane.

In fact, all the core deck attachments are some form of weapon. Drogo's Arakh, Ice, etc.

But, when it comes to highly notable items among the quests, one stands out. William's Dreadnought Armor. (hence my allowance that I may be biased.)

Now, in terms of bonuses, most of the various attachments give +2, and then some conditional extra. Several of them provide an additional benefit in the hands of a specific character. Let's try a mixture of all of these, with a conditional PENALTY.

Dreadnought Armor
Attachment
Attached character gains +4 Strength.
Attached character may not be declared as an attacker unless it is William Bordain.

This is a big thing. a +4 Strength attachment makes the attached character functionally perfect as a defender. There is no two card combo of character and weapon that can overcome that. However, it can still be beaten with a touch of extra effort. There are plenty of two-character combinations that beat it, and events can turn the tide.

I'm going to price it at 3, as that's the cost of the more powerful attachments.

So, we have 2 cards of 20 tentatively done.

Let's move to another quest's character, Brynden Malroy.
>>
>>43626707
If you have any suggestions or ideas, feel free to add them. If you like, I can give you a bunch of examples from the core game, to give you a sense of scale.
>>
>>43627139
Brynden Malroy is notably a hot-headed young man, loyal to the Targaryens, and dealing with the loss of much of his house's prestige and power in Robert's Rebellion. He's also a noted Archer, and tends to act without thinking.

Offhand, we can give him the Military Icon, and we'll wait on the others until we touch on some other numbers.

Now, my first suggestion is to make Brynden strength 4. This puts him UNDER that top row of combat monsters, but I think we can tweak that in a second.

As to character abilities, Brynden has quite a few options, with two main ideas coming to mind:

"Brynden gains +1 Str while you are the first player". This serves several purposes. First, it recognizes Brynden's skill at archery, and his hot-headed nature. It also ties him into a theme of mechanics that the Greyjoys use, giving the deck another connection it could exploit.

He could also have the intimidate power, recognizing his frightening nature in personal dealings and negotiation. Further, he can have the following rule:
"When you intimidate an opponent's character, Brynden claims one power from that character if possible."

This allows Brynden to serve as a monumental harassing force, driving him to always be trying to overwhelm enemy defenses to lock down their characters, and drain political power from them. However, given the nature of intimidate, it also means he'll constantly want support, in order to intimidate characters worth robbing. In terms of field effect, he's probably around 4 or 5 gold, so let's err on the side of caution.

So our first draft of Brynden ends with

Brynden Malroy
Military Icon (Maybe power?)
Strength 4
Intimidate
Brynden gains +1 Strength while you are first player.
When you intimidate an opponent's character, Brynden claims one power from that character if possible.
>>
>>43627436
looks good, does he have a weapon of note?
>>
>>43627487
Soon to be acquired dragonbone bow.
>>
>>43627517
cool, I haven't read Malroy's quest yet, still reeling from Brachen's never continuing
>>
>>43627436
I'm going to snag some lunch for like, 15-20, and then come back.

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to post, and we'll talk about them!

>>43627487
Not as such (or rather, he doesn't YET). He does have a mount, of his family's rare bloodline of warhorses, so it's possible we could add Goldsong as a character, which would give him an automatic support option.

If we did want to use the Dragonbone Bow, we could have it give +2 Power, +1 while you're the first player, thus tightening his connection with the Greyjoys, and making Brynden a real threat on his own when equipped with it.
>>
>>43627556
I think the horse would be cooler, more unique
>>
>>43627598
Humorously, it also matches the way the Starks work with their Direwolves, giving ANOTHER thematic cross over.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, one that ties into the Baratheons is next!

Now, so far, I've focused on Characters, and suggested our one Attachment, but we haven't touched on the other two card types: events and locations. Events are one-time cards that provide an immediate change or shit, and locations are supporting, enduring cards. Luckily, I can think of an event that ties into all the characers' stories (well, almost all)

Tournament! 2 Gold
Event
In order, each player may kneel any number of characters they control. Whoever kneels the most strength this way claims one power for their house for each 5 points they beat the second highest strength.

Now here's a way for the /tg/ houses to snatch a victory out from the noses of the bigger houses. A challenge of straight man-power. You may have more gold, and better intrigue, Lannisters, but do you have the knights?

However, this also plays into the Baratheon's battle-strategies. Stannis Baratheon only allows two characters to stand a turn, meaning that if your opponents commit to the tourney, you can lock down their armies for quite some time. Robert Baratheon gets +1 Strength for every other kneeling character, meaning he's likely to take any tourney he participates in, or, if you play him AFTER the tourney, he's pretty much guaranteed a victory in the challenges phase.

The card ALSO support Tyrell connections, as they have many cards that let them stand their characters and grant them bonuses, allowing them to SEEM to over-commit to a tourney, and suddenly raise an instant defense source.
>>
>>43627931
No cards for the other /tg/ MCs?
>>
>>43627931
>change or shit
SHIFT. My apologies.

Also, I should clarify that Stannis allows two characters PER PLAYER to stand a turn.

So, now, from our initial outlay of 12 characters, one attachment, 3 events, and 4 locations, we have 2 characters, 1 event, and 1 attachment. We're 1/5th done!

Now, let's look at the characters we have to finish.
Dustain Karban
Artys Harrock
Garrette Brachen
Dontos Malroy
Damien Clawwater
Oskar Stone
Goldsong

>>43628009
All in due time. I just had the tournament idea while making lunch, and wanted to get it down before I forgot.

Now, here's an important question: Who knows a lot about Harrock?
>>
>>43628053
I know a bit about karban and brachen, not a whole lot on harrock.
>>
>>43628053
While I wait for that answer, I'll push on.
We've got two military monsters in Brynden and Bordain, so let's move to more civilized spheres:

Lord Dustain Karban, while certainly not a liability in combat, is not a man of violent action, He's a man of court cases, courtships, and market values. As such, I think he'd have the intrigue and power icons, but not military.

In terms of actual POWER, interestingly, while amazing in many regards, Karban was more of a regional entity than a kingdoms spanning one. We'll put him at 4 power.

Further, he's Dustain Karban, the luckiest lord in Westeros, and, if his luck holds, one of the richest men in the reach. There's no reason to NOT have him add 1 gold to your pool every turn. Actually. No. Even better. Because Karban's gold came from his LANDS. His vineyards and mines, his smallfolk.

"At the beginning of your marshalling phase, add 1 gold to your gold pool for every 2 locations you control."

That one line makes Karban one of the most efficient gold generating cards in the game, but still leaves him vulnerable. It's enough to justify him costing 5, though he may need playtesting to iron out exactly.

first draft of Karban

Lord Dustain Karban 5 Gold
Character
Intrigue, Power
At the beginning of your marshalling phase, gain 1 gold for every two locations you control. (rounding down)

>>43628099
Cool, I know a lot about Bordain, Brynden, and Karban. Tell me about Brachen. I remember he had super-high warfare.
>>
>>43628256
For one he was the Lannister's left hand man, he also had a warfare of 5 I believe. Higher than all the other MC's. However his one on one fighting was a bit low, he also wasn't the best from a horse. However he was really good on a ship and was unmatched using a spear, he even managed to duel a dornish knight to a draw.
In the last thread he had just received a Valyrian steel spearhead. Which are incredibly rare.
His Bastard may be worth mentioning as he was almost as good as his father in fighting, and was a decent commander.
A thing to note, Garrette took part in the massacre of Castamere and all of his successful campaigns thus far were ambushes/ skirmishes with few losses.
>>
>>43628256
>Tell me about Brachen. I remember he had super-high warfare.
He's the guy Tywin sends before he goes "make it Reynes" on your ass.
>>
>>43628357
Alright, so a man of Cunning. Let's go with

Garrette Brachen 6 Gold
Military Icon, Intrigue Icon
4 strength
Insight (allows him to draw a card when he wins challenges)
As long as you control a Lannister Character, Garrette has renown.
Marshalling Phase: You may kneel Garrette to choose a player. Until end of turn, your claim is 1 higher against that player.

That should do. It depicts a cunning tactician loathe to leave survivors/show mercy, and it ties his rise to power to the Lannisters (making him the first character to thematically combine with them.)
>>
>>43628470
I don't think Intrigue works well, he's not a politician. Just a very shrewd tactician
>>
>>
>>43628511
lol, that still gets me every time
>>
>>43628511
Brynden entry into that would either be him fucking every girls in the bar and getting them pregnants or having a fight.

Good thing the world of ASOIAF doesn't have elves and shit, cause there'd be an entry with Mik burning down the bar.
>>
>>43628496
Curses. This deck needs more dudes with intrigue. I'll drop the intrigue for now, and consider dropping his cost by one coin.

Since I don't know Harrock well enough to put to a card, (I have ideas for abilities based on his love for his family, and his defense of them, but nothing else) we'll come back to him.

So let's jump to one of our built-in thematic connections: Damien Clawwater!

For those who don't remember, Damien Clawwater was a minor lord of the Arbor, who Karban eventually proved had engaged in smuggling, and who was consigned to the Wall.

Here, we'll discuss a facet of characters I've not as of yet discussed: Affiliation/Loyalty and Traits!

Affiliation is, super-simply, which faction the card belongs to. Decks can only contain so many cards of other factions. "Loyal" cards CANNOT be used in other faction decks. For example, Tyrion is a Lannister card. Tywin is a Lannister LOYAL card. You could make a Tyrell deck that includes Tyrion, but not one that includes Tywin.

Traits are a series of single word descriptors that put characters into categories. Tyrion Lannister is a Lord. Jaime is a Knight and a Lord. Cersei is a Lady and a Queen. This allows cards to reference things like "Knights gain renown" or "The first Lord or Lady you marshal this turn costs 3 less"

Now, until this point, all the characters have been Lords, with some flourishes. Bordain is technically a knight, so he could have that trait, while Brynden did not start as one, but he might have had the Essosi trait, or the "Sellsword" trait.

I bring these up, because Damien Clawwater has had a rough fucking life, and his card shows that.

Damien Clawwater. 2
Intrigue Icon
3 Strength
Steward, Traitor
Damien Clawwater is considered to be affiliated with every faction.
Damien cannot be declared as an attacker unless you control a Lord, Commander, or King.

Damien was forced to engage in treason at the behest of his insane lord father and demented lady mother.
>>
>>43626250
>/tg/ gets shit done".

Get out old man, and take your /v/-tier memeshit out of this board
>>
File: 1431834524072.gif (87 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1431834524072.gif
87 KB, 400x400
>>43629231
cute
>>
>>43629182
Also, sorry for that delay, I had to re-visit the threads to remember what he was like.

Let's handle his brother in arms, Oskar Stone.

Oskar Stone was a Targaryen loyalist who raised trouble in Bordain's lands until he nailed his tongue to a post, and sent him to the wall.

Oskar Stone 3 Gold
Military Icon
3 Strength
Ranger
Stealth
Oskar Stone gains +1 Strength if you control a Targaryen Lord or Lady.

Now, let's talk about another character with Targaryen sympathies, Dontos Malroy!
>>
>>43629260
Ser Dontos is an anointed Knight of the Seven, and deeply loyal to the Targaryens. Beyond that, he is skilled enough that he could have been a member of the Kingsguard, if not for an arm break setting incorrectly, and damaging his confidence.

Dontos Malroy 4 Gold
Military Icon
5 Strength
Knight
No attachments except Weapons.
Ser Dontos gains a political Icon and Renown as long as you control a Targaryen Lord

This character pairs well with his hotheaded nephew, and even better with his hotheaded Nephew and Targaryen support.
>>
>>43627139
>Longfang

Wasn't it Longclaw?

Or did Jon name it that after getting it from Jeor?
>>
>>43629355
This leaves us with only 4 characters left to stat:
Harrock
Goldsong
and three non-uniques/armies

two events, and all 4 locations (technically 3)

Now, when it comes to locations, the existing decks all follow the same pattern (except Night's Watch): 2 unique locales, and 2 (identical) generic locations that lessen costs.

However, that leads to an interesting question. See, so far, each deck's generic location reduces costs for "[affiliation] cards". Which would mean we'd either need to make another affiliation for these cards, or we could make it so they benefit something else. Like "Knights" or "Sellswords". Just some food for thought. For them moment, I'm going the former route, making the deck its own affiliation, and making the following card.

Rollan Mines 0 Gold
Marshalling Phase: You may kneel the Rollan Mines to reduce the cost of the next TG card you marshal by 1.

Boom, two more cards done!

Now, let's talk locations. As far as options go, here's what I thought of, and potential effects.

Morderengrad (Bordain's Castle, likely gives some sort of defensive bonus)
Morderengrad Steelworks (Potentially improves the strength of all knights/attachments)
Steadhold (Brynden's castle, bonus unknown)
Violet Plains (Home of Brynden's famous horses, likely improves Knights or makes marshalling them cheaper.)
Saltmouth (Karban's home, likely improves funds, or trades gold for cards.)
High Harrock (Harrock's keep, bonuses unknown)

Any thoughts?
>>43629508
I was wondering how long it would take for people to notice that mess up. Yeah, I got it confused with another setting's sword, and used the wrong name. It's totally Longclaw.
>>
>>43629601
You should add Brachen Hall and the Tumblestone coast.
>>
>>43629601
>>43629644
Tumblestone could place a negative on Ironborn, as it's where the Brachens killed several of the salt kings from the age of heroes.

Brachen Hall could make rangers cheaper or better 'cause Garrette's best troops were dornish trained guerrillas/rangers.
>>
>>43629601
>I was wondering how long it would take for people to notice that mess up. Yeah, I got it confused with another setting's sword, and used the wrong name. It's totally Longclaw.

That's totally fine, Page. Honest mistake.
>>
>>43629644
Excellent, tell me about them. I know little of Squire's run. I posted like, twice in the first thread.

What distinguishes them? I recall that the Tumblestone coast was a long-raided point, the source of Brachen's dislike for Ironborn.

>>43629700
Interesting.

One thing it could do is something akin to what Danaerys does. Danaerys reduces the strength of any character attacking you by 1 as long as she's standing. Tumblestone Coast could do something similar by kneeling during a challenge.
Also, side note, I learned that every faction has a mostly identical character we can toss into the non-uniques. They all have a 1 cost, 1 icon(almost all power), "Kneel to make the next AFFILIATION character 1 cheaper", so we could have one of those, call it "Personal Guard" or "Lord's Council", something like that.
>>
>>43629806
While we wait on further discussion on which locations to use, and/or what they should do, let's knock out a couple of the last characters we need.

First, the freebie

Lord's Advisor 1 Gold
Political Icon
1 Strength
Ally
Marshaling Phase: Kneel this character to reduce the cost of the next TG character you marshal by 1.

Then, the last unique character I know how to make.
AS noted, the bloodlines created and bred by the Malroys are unique in the Seven Kingdoms, giving them exceptional warhorses, with distinctive manes. Knights who ride the horses are known to be well-funded, and men with a skilled eye for horseflesh.

Goldsong 3 Gold
Military Icon
2 Strength
Cannot be declared as an attacker unless another Lord or Knight is attacking.
When Goldmane attacks, choose an attacking Lord or Knight, that character gains renown until the end of the phase.

Boom, Goldmane supports any Lord or Knight, and builds with Brynden's desire to be constantly attacking.

With that done, we have only 2 non-unique characters left to make. I recommend making them Army picks, since that's a trait that can be exploited, and as of yet, we have none.

Offhand, the options that strike my mind are

-An army of skilled Woodsman, for Brachen's guerillas/rangers, and Bordain's guerillas.

-An army of knights, for Bordain's elite Cavalry, and Brynden's horsemen.

-An army of Sellswords, for Brynden's Sons of Gold, and Bordain's Great Company

-An army of Arbalesters for Brynden's unique units?

- An "army" of the Elite Personal Guard, representing Bordain's Bloodsmiths and Karban's Steel Guard.
>>
>>43630050

Knights and Personal Guards, seem best.
>>
>>43630207
Cool cool.

Listen guys, I gotta bow out for the next...probably 4-5 hours, (hence why I didn't try running my quest)

I'll check the thread when I get back, and if there's any ideas, I'll work with them, and hopefully have a full set of 20 by Sunday, where I'll give them a first playtest and see how they do!

Thanks for going along with this thing, and feel free to keep posting!
>>
>>43630501
>feel free to keep posting!

No offense, but I think this might fall off.

Not that popular of an idea, it seems.
>>
>>43630534

See?
>>
>>43631921
>>43630534
Oh, I figured as much, I just never want people to say "Oh, I wanted to post, but I thought it was over."

It's a super fringe thing. You gotta like the GoT Quests, and know the card game, and like homebrew.
>>
>>43632015

I like the first, haven't done the second, and the third can vary.
>>
have a bamp
>>
>>43626250
I miss bitches and money quest, Karban Edition.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.