[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Money pits and how we love them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8
File: 02521F.gif (53 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
02521F.gif
53 KB, 350x263
So I bought 12mm dice made out of semiprecious stones because the campaign is set in Forgotten Realms' Bloodstone Lands.

They arrived and I realized just how much smaller 12mm was than 16mm. So now I need to buy two sets of 16mm, and $80 each.

So inspire me to spend $160 on two sets of dice by posting your favorite hobby crap that you know you was a waste of money

Hard Mode: Don't post GW purchases
>>
>>43613161
I spent maybe 60 ish on a set of dice myself, plus another set that was split among friends after we got a bulk order. As for the biggest waste of money my hobbies have resulted in, I'd honestly say GURPS.

Most of their shit is out of print, and I'm a stickler for hardcover, so I ended up spending some serious dosh on new and like new GURPS books, including Magic which can get up around a hundred or so, and thaumaturgy which is about on par. All in all, I spent almost 300 bucks and I've only been able to convince my group to part from D&D for once campaign so far.

Also, I just backed DropFleet Commander, which is opening up a pandora's box financially, but the models are crazy high quality and the rules so far looks outstanding. Of course, knowing my luck not a single person within a hundred miles of me will play it.
>>
>>43613161
Buying Shadows of Brimstone, all the expansions , even though I no I won't play it that much. Thats like 300 dollars.
>>
Bought Dark Vengeance for my GF while we were at NYCC a few years back. She was just getting into the hobby, and at that moment decided that she hated SM and CSM...
There's $100 I'm not getting back, ever...
At least I have the minis to remind me of how dumb I am.
>>
File: CollosalRedBW.jpg (95 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
CollosalRedBW.jpg
95 KB, 800x600
$70 miniature.

I used it a grand total of once for a game, and it's been sitting on my shelf since then.

I still really like it, and right now they sell for over $200 online.
>>
I bought the Reign core rulebook hard-cover off of Ebay because it's no longer in print and I really wanted a physical copy. It was eighty bucks, and I already owned the PDF.

I also got a custom dicebag and a set of 80 d10s, with 60 of them being blue (for the six players to use), and 20 of them being red (for the gm), because I like having physical knick-knacks for the games I own. Now both of those are in the "Reign" section of my games library.

All told it was about a hundred and fifty bucks for a bunch of shit that I didn't need on account of having access to Roll20 and the digital game rules, but fuck it I ain't looking back. I think a lot of the fun in these games is in the "feel" of them, and having physical objects like that enhances the fun.
>>
File: pic2314583_lg.jpg (114 KB, 618x542) Image search: [Google]
pic2314583_lg.jpg
114 KB, 618x542
>>43613525
>Shadows of Brimstone
I think my Rifts campaign just got more expensive.
>>
Thanks, /tg/. Making me feel like other people do it, too, makes it ok.
>>
>>43613799
No it doesn't, it just means we're all just as dumb with money as you.

We can just be dumb with money together.
>>
>>43613972
I meant that, mostly. We should. I have a bitchin' selection of LotR models, if you ever want to play the wargame with literally every model produced before the hobbit line. Which I have never actually played.
>>
>>43613161
Wow, I always cheap out and buy mismatched dice from a fishtank in the front of my store for 75 cents each. I don't care if they even go together, I just go for rad looking colors, like a black and orange speckled D8. I named it Hobbes. I also have a pink and black D4 I named Johnny Rotten and a sparkly gold D20 named George.

Anyway, I spent around at least 400$ on the manabase for my Magic: The Gathering decks last month because I wanted a foil Temple garden and a foil Verdant catacombs, among other things. I barely even pay attention to how much I spend anymore, to me it's always "A lot", but just barely enough that I can still pay rent and buy beer.
>>
File: dicebox.jpg (278 KB, 1409x706) Image search: [Google]
dicebox.jpg
278 KB, 1409x706
$40ish for this dice box. Spalted tamarind, foam liner, and a magnetic closure, the hard 'clack' of which is an unbelievable tactile satisfaction.
It holds a single polyhedral set.
>>
>>43616407
That is gorgeous.
>>
>>43613161
I spent close to $125 on the Firefly board game that I consider wasted because I never want to play it
I really only buy it for some of my friends who like to borrow it on occasion, but I probably won't bother getting the latest expansion
>>
>>43616407
That's a really nice timber they've used. Well worth 40 quid
>>
File: PB130005.jpg (541 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
PB130005.jpg
541 KB, 1600x1200
Found this mahogany, antique chemist's display in an antique store. From memory it wasn't very much, only about $50 or so, but it was perfect for putting all the mini's into
>>
>$2000+ foiling a MtG deck

It looks sweet, plays well and is EDH so is never going to be completely unplayable but financially was such a dumb idea.
>>
File: 20111103234352.jpg (376 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
20111103234352.jpg
376 KB, 2048x1536
>>43613570
Friend of mine had one of these, plus gargantuans for all the chromatic too. He was playing DM for us in an in-between-sessions game where myself (usual DM for the group) and our backup-DM and former-DM were playing over-the-top high-level munchkin characters. We were a Frenzied Berzerker, Mystic Theurge, and Ninja. Nothing the DM threw at us was a challenge, and he was kind of running out of ideas. We kept saying we wanted to fight a dragon. Finally he threw a white one at us, because he didn't realize they were the weakest. Pic related.
>>
File: 20111116004213.jpg (349 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
20111116004213.jpg
349 KB, 2048x1536
>>43621130
We kill the white really fast, and we decide, fuck it, we wanna fight the colossal red. No more fucking around.

Next session he brings the colossal red mini, and it shows up in town and attacks us! We killed it in three rounds. Then the frenzied berzerker killed me. That was our last session in that campaign.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.