[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm looking to get back into Magic (after having not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 900x506
So I'm looking to get back into Magic (after having not played since Champions of Kamigawa). I'm hoping to pick up some more Kamigawa block cards, and some of the more recent sets, probably Khans of Takir and later. Since I don't have a local game shop, I'll obviously be buying online and I was hoping to get some buying advice.

You know, where to buy, what to buy, how not to get ripped off, etc. I'm pretty much entirely going to be playing Legacy, EDH, and Modern, and entirely casual, but I do have a little bit of cash to get something cool.

Anyways, any advice would be much appreciated.
>>
File: Mana Vault Alter - Imgur.jpg (64 KB, 399x555) Image search: [Google]
Mana Vault Alter - Imgur.jpg
64 KB, 399x555
>where to buy
Tcgplayer.com is a pretty good source to buy from. Sometimes you can get a good deal on pricier cards on eBay, but everyone else is too.

>what to buy
Stay away from buying boosters/other sealed product. Buy singles after you know what decks you want to play.
>>
>>43569394
>Stay away from buying boosters/other sealed product. Buy singles after you know what decks you want to play.

While that is solid advice, part of the problem is that I don't know what I want. Aside from a few games here and there using decks that weren't mine, I am very far removed from the game. Even when I was playing I was using either whatever I pulled from boosters or could trade for, never really had the option or money to buy the cards I needed.

I don't know, I guess I'm also wondering if there's some sort of list I can specifically buy from or a packaged deal that give me a good section of cards that I can really get a feel from so I can learn what I want?
>>
>>43569827
I'd recommend checking in on your LGS and getting an idea of what they play there.

Maybe ask to borrow a deck and play some rounds to find a deck you want to play. Freshen up on the game a bit ahead of time so it doesn't become a chore for them to help you though.

Also, if you have a few friends who might be interested in starting with you I'd really recommend that.

Drafts are something you can do without owning any cards, and also allows you to gain card capital to start trading or building your own decks, good for before you know what you want to build.

Best advice is simply to go ask people at your local area, they will be able to give you a far more accurate idea on what formats to focus on.
>>
>>43569292
Dude, I'm basically the same way - I haven't played since Mirrodin & Early Kamigawa, and just got back into it this summer. Strangely, one of the biggest disappointments for me was that I couldn't buy any old packs anymore - they're just too damn expensive. It makes sense, obviously, and I know its better to buy singles and all that, but I miss that nostalgia factor.
>>
>>43569991

No local gaming shop, like I said. I can only find a fraction of my old cards, barely enough to make a deck of any color, and a couple of old mediocre decks. I can't even find my rare binder, though I know it's somewhere.

There is the local gaming group, so I suppose going in without anything except a brush up on the rules and hoping somebody has a spare deck is my best option. I know they like to play EDH, but not much in the way of Legacy or Modern. I can't even make an EDH deck at the moment.

>>43570060

Yeah, that's a pity. I was in New Zealand on a student exchange when Champions of Kamigawa came out, and I had a lot of fun and made friends playing it.
>>
Check out the following games instead:
Android: Netrunner
Doomtown: Reloaded
VS System 2PCG
Ashes - Rise of the Phoenixborn
Dice Masters
Summoner Wars
Mage Wars: Academy/Arena

Those are the ones I can think that could scratch your "magic itch" without making you (that) poor. You get more nag for your buck. Also most of this games are superior to an outdated old game like magic.
>>
>>43570670

Thanks, but I am trying to be more Meatspace social and this is a group that meets to play MtG.
>>
No other advice then?
>>
>>43569394
>Stay away from buying boosters/other sealed product. Buy singles after you know what decks you want to play.

What happened to the old "theme deck, a fat pack, five boosters and then trade" game I grew up with?
>>
>>43573683
>edh
try to buy one of the edh precons then.
>>
>>43573707
I started playing a month ago, that's how I started and it's pretty fun. I use the BFZ event deck with some modifications. With things I got from fat pack and boosters I'm trading towards a deck I want. It would probably be cheaper to buy singles but getting prizes at fnm or drafting and then trading is tons of fun.
>>
>>43569292
EDH IS entirely casual. It's only non casual mode is french(which imho is the best magic format together with legacy) but nobody plays that.
>>
>>43573707
This is the correct way to start (or restart) playing magic. The "fuck packs, buy a tier 1 deck for modern/standard" comes from the tryhard mentality of LoL and other games where you're expected to know the meta before you even know the basics of the game
>>
>>43573707
Competitive players. They'll tell you that it's the only way to play, and the problem is that the playgroup has to match the most competitive player in it. He or she will inevitably end up setting the actual power level, so, even if they only buy one copy each of a few rares that they want to build around, everyone else is going to have to start buying singles in order to match, and it just snowballs.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.