[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Battle Serfs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: Chapter Serf.jpg (343 KB, 728x1041) Image search: [Google]
Chapter Serf.jpg
343 KB, 728x1041
So how would you go about setting up a Chapter which uses some of their serfs in active combat duty? As in, not just supply side or defending the home base, but actually bringing them in to assist as light infantry.

I'd start it off with having the chapter get its shit rocked. Hard. To the point where it has to take a break from even minor engagements due to very low numbers. Partly to alleviate boredom, partly because for the next few decades the chapter serfs will be their major military force as for even defensive purposes the marines will either be spread far too thin to take advantage of their nature or able to concentrate into only a few small groups which wouldn't be able to adequately defend the necessary territory.

After a while, they begin actually integrating them into regular tactics. First as a necessary thought experiment (If we are attacked, we will need dedicated strategies to take full advantage of our serfs), but they begin to realize that they could, if used properly, help fill in a missing tactical role that the guardsmen wouldn't always be there to fill (if it helps, imagine that they got overwhelmed repeatedly because they outpaced the guardsmen and are just starting to learn their lesson).

From there on, some of the more talented serfs as assigned as roughly the equivalent of men at arms to each squad, kitted out properly to either further the squads goal (stealth troops if assigned to scouts) or designed to fill in weak points (marksmen to defend as counter snipers for close combat troops, meltagun users to keep snipers safe if they're snuck up on). They could also serve to defend and maintain hardpoints on the field while marines strike into enemy territory so they'd be certain of a safe place on the field to regroup at.
>>
>>46806177
Like the idea. Have a similar concept myself, where each imperial guard regiment raised from thier home world had a squad of marines + a company of scouts "tag" along.

Basically the commander of the regimentS are in nominal control but like the ensigns in the British army they rely on the tactical acumen of the veteran sergeant leading the marine component.

The marines themselves are then used as field commanders with the scouts acting as thier Co. Squads (carapace armour isn't used within the chapter, instead before graduating to scout they have to craft thier own power armor under the supervision of the tech marines - know your equipment theory).

While looked upon with suspicion the fact that they only control thier own world (they hand over control of planets to the admin); and tithe regiments (when normally a marine planet wouldn't ) + getting results has led the administration to turn a blind eye to this raising and use of auxiliary forces.

Due to the recruitment and supply of the ig regiments they don't use standard ig vehicles instead using rhinos, whirlwinds and predators. Though the handy lasgun is still the main stay weapon.

Tldr.
Basically play it as imperial guard army with a 9 man space marine squad + capt. And sm vehicles with bs 3.
>>
>>46806512
I kind of like that too. I was thinking that using their serfs (who already at least have to go out with them in ships) would sidestep the issue of them being used as auxiliaries partially since they'd still be dependent on the chapter for resources; the time and money spent on building up their serfs is time and money spent not legion building, and while it does make a significant tactical advantage their serfs would still be just human. Well equipped and possibly given commissar level enhancement, but more useful for keeping a failing chapter afloat than bringing its might to bear against the Imperium.
>>
>>46806177
It worked for Huron. Yeah.
>>
>>46807174
Really? I can't find much of that. Obviously he used them to support in naval battles, but he was legion building; battle serfs would serve to round out a chapter without having to legion build.
>>
>>46806177
Would they just be outfitted with guardsmen gear, or something more hefty like scout-tier equipment?
>>
>>46807344
Serfs are usually kitted with 'void hardened carapace armor', so Guardsmen commando tier, assuming they weren't excessively upgraded (which they might be, depending on how many friends their chapter has; a first or second founding chapter might be able to get away with scout tier equipment for their serfs, but a later founding would find it a hard sell).

They certainly wouldn't have bolters, but they'd be decent.
>>
>>46806177
I would do more than that. I would shape them, I would mold them.
I would have the serfs constantly fight and train against other space marines while being completely unmodified. They'd get their ass beat, we'd bring them back with medicine and hospitaliers, rinse and repeat.
Force them to use space marine bolters chainswords while still unmodified, send them into lighter combat roles.

The ones that survive would become the most unstoppable force the universe has ever seen once they undergo the process.
>>
>>46807478
>space marine bolters
See, that's not an issue of skill. A human being physically cannot use those unmodified with a good degree of accuracy. If nothing else, they literally just don't weigh enough. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. A marine can fire a bolter and retain decent accuracy because its not giving enough force to dislodge his arm significantly. Even if a human had the muscle to keep his arms straight (which they don't), they would be physically moved because that kinetic energy has to go somewhere.

Hell, if the hypothetical rock armed serf fired straight down, he might start flying.
>>
>>46807581
I could modify existing bolters for slightly lower caliber rounds so it's not like they're shooting fucking tank shells. To be honest though, scouts don't wear the same class of armor and aren't nearly as modified as full blown marines, and they can still handle bolters just fine.

My ruling on melee weapons still stands though. They must master marine melee weapons as humans.
>>
>>46807478
Oh, and that also kind of misses the point. They exist to supplement marines, not replace them. Sure, they have a fair bit of training, but they're intended to be super soldiers. Just really good soldiers.
>>
>>46807614
>but they're intended to be super
they're not intended
>>
>>46807614
Well, not all the serfs need to become marines. The ones that volunteer would go through especially grueling and possibly life threatening training.
Just a fun thought I had lol. Think about it, you'd be unfuckingstoppable.
Your soldiers would think a Bloodthirster is a cakewalk in comparison to the time they had to fight a goddamn space marine as a lowly serf.

A
>>
>>46807667
Most serfs are failed aspirants or the children of failed aspirants (who themselves were found wanting); they wanted to become marines but didn't quite make it or showed the skill but lacked genetic compatibility.

Also, aren't marines only taken from adolescents? Most serfs that would be considered for being battle serfs would either be grown up or failed aspirants who failed early enough that they didn't die along the way.
>>
>>46807667
>a lowly serf.
Oh, and most marines heavily respect their serfs. Remember; these are the guys that the Space Wolves trust Fenris to when they're off fighting too much to adequately defend it.
>>
>>46807794
Hope I got my to's and too's right. Probably didn't. Fuck.
>>
>>46807774
Well I don't know about the whole genetic compatibility thing. I thought pretty much any human in good health could do it, just a matter of resources or some shit.
Well if they wanted, I'd personally let failed aspirants try again. They can choose to remain human as just guardsmen(well...much better than """"actual"""" flashlight wielding guardsmen) or *attempt* to become a marine. Probably would be fatal in a lot of cases but if they succeed, you have one badass motherfucker.
>>46807794
Ya no I'm just saying that they'd be used to overcoming impossible odds.
>>
>>46807871
>whole genetic compatibility thing
Its not mentioned a lot, but I don't think many sources go into detail about the whole process so its not surprising. Each aspirant is tested; if they're not compatible, they get offered a chance to join the chapter's serfs. Since this is a pretty fucking good life by WH40k standards (and a lot of potential recruits from feral worlds nearly worship the marines), most say yes without feeling too down that they can't become marines.

>>46807871
>I'd personally let failed aspirants try again
Again, there's a time thing. If they're too old (read; an adult or even a late teenager), the implants don't work properly.
>>
>>46808027
Well damn. That sure rained on my parade.
Lol whatever, they'll just have to be highly trained humans which is the vibe I'm already getting from how these serfs are described...
Hell, anything beats being a guardsman. God, those guys are more expendable than a cheap condom in a whorehouse.
>>
>>46808120
>anything beats being a guardsman
Except when they have their tanks. Also, what is this concept of 'a guardsman' you have? From a tactical perspective, there is no such thing as 'a' guardsman. There are only guardsmen.

>have to be highly trained humans
Basically the idea, yes. Since they're drawn from people who almost became marines and receive training directly from marines. Even normal chapter serfs fall under that category.
>>
>>46806177
Simple. Have the serfs be something of a consolidation force with their own weapons, wargear and motorpool. The Astartes go first and conquer stuff, while the serfs waltz in afterwards and entrench the strategic positions.

In more serious situations, the serfs become heavy fire support or flanking forces. The marines are the anvil, the serfs are the hammer.
>>
It actually occurs to me that the M&M's might do this for shits and giggles. Except instead of arming them with high quality arms and armor, they give them rejected guard equipment.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.