[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good afternoon, /tg/! A few days ago I posted a thread asking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Pantheon.jpg (196 KB, 1238x744) Image search: [Google]
Pantheon.jpg
196 KB, 1238x744
Good afternoon, /tg/!

A few days ago I posted a thread asking for help in filling out a pantheon of gods for a setting that I'm working on.

After getting a few suggestions I decided to limit the pantheon to a very manageable five gods, arranged in a seasonal cycle.

Now, though, I need to give them names! The culture that the players are going to belong to is very Viking-inspired, with elements of the pagan Celts.

The five gods are as follows:

The God of Time is also the god of Knowledge, Magic, and Justice. He is the King of the Gods and the Father of Men. As the Hub of the Wheel, his power doesn't wax and wane with the turning of seasons.

The God of Life is also the god of Earth, Planting, Fertility, and Passion. She is strongest in the Spring, when all is green and growing.

The God of War is also the god of Fire, Honor, Art, and Skill. He is strongest in the Summer, when blood runs hot.

The God of Death is also the god of Wind, the Harvest, Wealth, and Wisdom. She is strongest in the Fall, when things begin to fade.

The God of Peace is also the god of Water, Diplomacy, the Dead, and Luck. He is strongest in Winter, when the world is barren.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
>>
Vidtharr First-father (or Last-father at the end of the year)
Gefjun All-Earth
Thun the Red
Ilmarig End-Seeker
Sjofn the Quiet
>>
>>46751885
These are pretty good!

Thanks!
>>
>>46751637
>I need to give them names!
Do you really? You could as well name them after what they are. Why not just find translations for those words in an old tongue, or perhaps the words of the seasons, and use those?

As another side note, who is the mother of men? If it's not important that it be some non-god, why not make it Time? Making him both genders would preserve the gender balance you've got going on.

>>46751885
>Vidtharr
Viðar is a real Norse god though, who is unlike that description.

>Thun
If we're doing pre-roman stuff from the north and the isles, why not render it Þún?
>>
>>46752499
>You could as well name them after what they are. Why not just find translations for those words in an old tongue, or perhaps the words of the seasons, and use those?

Huh, I hadn't thought of that.

>As another side note, who is the mother of men? If it's not important that it be some non-god, why not make it Time? Making him both genders would preserve the gender balance you've got going on.

I was thinking that it (the 'Mother') was the Earth itself, perhaps sometimes personified a la Gaia and Jord.
>>
Sand
Silt
Smoke
Salt
Song

Easy.
>>
>>46752711
So Time literally stuck his dick in a cave somewhere and spewed divine jizm into it?
>>
>>46752755
'Father of Men' was meant to be more... hyperbolic than literal.
>>
>>46752825
He's a god. His hyperbola is literal. That's what makes them gods, instead of just kings or something.

Plus, norse/celts. Gotta have some shit like that.
>>
>>46751637
i like this painting because they invited over some egyptian gods and a little polynesian tiki guy, thats nice of em.
>>
>>46752884
I suppose so; I just hadn't considered it that way.

I'll definitely need to come up with an appropriate creation myth when I flesh out their religious practices.

How about a brief change in discussion for a moment?

I'm thinking of running the game using the REIGN system, which I've only recently become aware of.

I've played in an Unknown Armies game and read through NEMESIS, which are by the same author and use much of the same mechanics, but I don't know much of anything at all about REIGN except that it's designed for fantasy play and is incredibly lethal, which works for this campaign because I'm going for a 'lower' fantasy instead of, say, Tolkien's work.

I also love the idea of Companies, as the plan is to have the characters help their recently-founded colony thrive on a new and dangerous continent and those rules would let me stat said colony as a unique entity.

Do you guys have any thoughts?
>>
>>46752499
Yeah, all I did was search Norse gods on wiki and latinized some of the names.
I replaced thorn with TH because they're the same sound and I was too lazy to use an accented U.
>>
>>46752884
At the same time, he might have done something more cosmic and beyond the men of mortal minds, so people have rendered it down into something they're more familiar with for ease of mythology. His jizzing in a cave might have been a bit more complicated and magical than that, but it's best to leave that discussion to the sages and the gods themselves.
>>
File: →→46752738 Underrated post.png (94 KB, 1221x943) Image search: [Google]
→→46752738 Underrated post.png
94 KB, 1221x943
>>46752738 Underrated post.
>>
>>46753836
I'm not sure that I understand the reference.
>>
>>46756906
Not really a reference, the joke is just that it's in all fields.
Even the pointless fields (options and filename).
>>
>>46757182
Oh, no, I get that.

I meant the Sand, Silt, Smoke, Salt, and Song stuff.
>>
>>46757338 They're monosylabalic words that start with S.
Near as I can tell, they're related to the gods' domains.

Sand -> Hourglasss -> Time
Silt -> Fertalizer -> Life
(also Silt -> Planting)
Smoke -> Arsonry? -> War
(also Smoke -> Fire)
Salt -> Salting the Earth -> Death
(also Salt -> Wealth)
Song -> Merryment? -> Peace
>>
>>46758718
Oh, that's great!

Thank you.
>>
So, I had the thought of using Steel as a currency in lieu of precious metals, which would be used more as a decorative thing than as a medium of exchange.

Would that be completely stupid?

I figure, you take iron from the ground, purify it into steel, and stamp it with the seal of the issuing Jarl.

In this way, a Jarl's wealth is directly correlated to his military power.

What do you guys think?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.