[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about characters in fantasy games using magic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: books_dnd_livingdead_pic2.jpg (35 KB, 300x432) Image search: [Google]
books_dnd_livingdead_pic2.jpg
35 KB, 300x432
How do you feel about characters in fantasy games using magic to enhance their appearance? It's one of the basic staples of the Witcher games, and it makes a lot of sense to me.

Why Mialee didn't do it I'll never know.
>>
I imagine the trained eye could spot a magic nose job, maybe with a spellcraft check or something, just like you can sometimes tell if somebody's had work done IRL. Like cheaper or outdated magic tits being obviously too round or firm to be real, that sort of thing.
>>
>>46831111
Provided the capability is there, the nobility absolutely would be into this. Hell, we do the same thing in our day with plastic surgery, botox and, if you want to stretch the analogy far enough, even basic makeup made from synthetic lab-designed formulas.

Now, that does of course require the groundwork to be in place first. Some settings, on the other hand, don't quite have the capability of direct magical alteration, but even then argument could be made for, say, skilled facial surgical reconstruction with the aid of magical healing and disease control.

Long and short, looking less than artificially perfect is either a choice, or the consequence of not being wealthy enough. In the former case, well, more power to you.
>>
>Why Mialee didn't do it I'll never know.

That IS her altered appearance. "Mialee" was originally 10/10 human chick named Mia who could never get taken serious as a wizard, so she used magic to turn herself into a homely, horse-faced elf permanently. Now she has to be judged by her magical ability only, not how big her titties are.
>>
>>46831111

Depends how "high fantasy" your setting is. Witcher would generally qualify as high fantasy. In this case we'll use the "Magic is relatively commonplace and frequently used, the average peasant probably has probably seen or been in the presence of, a spell being cast and he isn't going to go crazy over one." Though Witcher limits this by saying that mages tend to keep to themselves and give a mighty middle finger to anyone asking for spells to be cast without inordinate sums of cash.
>>
File: 1450747940497.jpg (239 KB, 1107x1600) Image search: [Google]
1450747940497.jpg
239 KB, 1107x1600
Probably happens a lot, not many could pull off this look with only their natural born assets
>>
File: 20 Charisma PC.jpg (101 KB, 700x520) Image search: [Google]
20 Charisma PC.jpg
101 KB, 700x520
>>46831111
Generally I try to avoid shapeshifting magic in my games... although this has more to do with how much broken "conservation of mass' laws break my immersion when things like transforming into a werewolf happen and less to do with magic nose-jobs.

Do I have a problem with it? No.
Is it necessary in a world where the players can pick whoever they want as their characters and magically heal wounds to leave no scars anyway? Not really.
>>
>>46831111
Since elves aren't humans, they porbably find her hot.
>>
>>46831111

It increases her intimidation skill.
>>
File: 001.jpg (59 KB, 384x816) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
59 KB, 384x816
>>46831111
She did. This is how she was before, hideously ugly by elven standards.
>>
>>46831418

>musclegirl
>futa

>ugly

GTFO
>>
If you marry someone good looking and you have ugly children, which then leads you to discover that your waifu improved her looks with magic would that be ground for divorce?

The People's Republic of China think so.
>>
>>46831418

Nah na, that's what she'll polymorph herself to look like when she gets enough gold.

I mean wouldn't you?
>>
>>46831719
How did you get futa from that?
>>
>>46831796
They also think gutter oil is a good idea.
>>
>>46831796
Wait, what?
>>
>>46832135
There was a court case in China where they decided having plastic surgery and not telling your spouse about it counts as some form of lying.

Sparked off by a guy getting pissed that his children were ugly motherfuckers.
>>
>>46832156
That.....is amazingly petty. Then again, I guess the guy was highly pissed because he ended up with one ugly child and was allowed no more due to the pop controls.
>>
>>46831111

Fuck you, Mialee was always cute.
>>
>>46832204

>horseface

>cute
>>
You have looted a wand of Polymorph: Mialee.

It has 2d4 charges left.

What do.
>>
>>46832342
Polymorph from or to Mialee?

If it's to Mialee, I use it to curse rich people before racketeering them of all their money under the pretense that I can transform them back.

If it's from Mialee, I sell it to Mialee for a hefty sum, no need to even know what it transforms Mialee to, she'll take it.
>>
>>46832415
>If it's to Mialee,

Such a horror must be burned.
>>
I bet there are wizards in every setting who prettify themselves up with magic: stuff like cantrips to depilate, moisturise, give a little lift, etc. to go with those clothes-mending and candle-lighting ones. I mean, if you can cast a spell and literally turn into a different species, a little cosmetic stuff wouldn't be far out. Especially if you're some vain sorceress type or a priestess of Sune.

As an aside, medieval beautifying treatments were hardcore. No Gillette back then, so if you wanted to get rid of hair, you plucked and pumiced, or used honey and sugar. Reading about female pubic hair maintenance in the middle ages made my balls crawl into my stomach. No wonder the well-to-do ladies had maids in waiting to help them in looking pretty.
>>
>>46833722
>No Gillette back then

Hairy women everywhere
>>
>>46834329
Actually, fewer cavewomen than you may think.

For a long time the female fashion was for long hair (really, really long), high forehead, thin eyebrows and alabaster skin. The first was achieved by regular grooming and letting the hair grow out, but for the others you had to take the pain (well, for alabaster skin you also had to stay out of the sun as well, which isn't that painful).

Eyebrows were plucked, as was the forehead-covering hair for that fivehead look. Body hair - armpits, forearms, legs - were shaved (also note that the Norman fashion for men was a shaved face and back of head for a long time) and pumiced, and pubic hair was trimmed and plucked.

This took time (it could take an hour just to brush and arrange the hair that hung below your arse) and grit to endure the plucking. But if you wanted to look fashionable and pretty, well, no pain no gain.

Note that peasants rarely did this. They didn't have the time. However, the leisured classes which includes the urban middle class did.

As for non-Europeans examples, Persian women used sugar and honey a lot to groom, Arabic women regularly took out any hair growing below the head, and in Japan, prostitutes went completely bare down there.
>>
File: 1443068572110.jpg (56 KB, 799x1000) Image search: [Google]
1443068572110.jpg
56 KB, 799x1000
>>
File: 1443102220821.jpg (61 KB, 900x1400) Image search: [Google]
1443102220821.jpg
61 KB, 900x1400
>>46835465
>>
File: 1443163071006.jpg (71 KB, 800x1132) Image search: [Google]
1443163071006.jpg
71 KB, 800x1132
>>46835486
>>
>>46834663
>for a long time
This is literally just medieval fashion for ladies and whores.
>>
>>46831418
Can I, uh, get a source on that? image search has failed me
>>
>>46832182
Well, the kids looked like they were downz and would need plastic surgery to not be treated like shit by Chinese nationals.
>>
>>46831233
The best kind of magic.
>>
>>46835465
>>46835486
>>46835541

None of these are canon.
>>
>>46835543
Precisely. I'm just pissed off that people think medieval people where idiots who didn't groom themselves, didn't bathe or wash themselves, didn't like to look good, smelt of shit to 30 paces, were hairy like cavemen and wore sackcloth and if they were really well off, brown.

There's a reason why that female ladies look lasted for centuries: it looked good (the fivehead may be debatable).

The same goes for fashion: too many people think you couldn't look sexy until it was time to go tits out during the party years at Versailles. However, that really tight fashion that lasted from about 1100 to 1300 (before the fashion went for more puffy look)? Put one of those on a fit body and it looks just as good as a tight jumper today. Women wore rather cunning crap back then to lift their breasts (since the ideal size was considered to be an apple, in shape round and firm), but there were tit-fanciers in that era just as there are now.

And it's equal opportunity sexy as well. The men's style of shortish tunic and hose lets you show off those knightly calves, broad shoulders and chest for the swooning ladies of the court.

The point is: if there's a chance a woman (or a man) could make her/him look better with a few words and some material components, they sure as hell would do so. They went through enough shit in medieval times to look good.
>>
>>46836986
Who gives a shit?
>>
>>46835756
http://g.e-hentai.org/tag/artist:hidari-kiki
>>
>>46831111
There are at least two examples of AD&D Forgotten Realms books that state in certain big cities, mages who do the arcane equivalent of plastic surgery are a thing and how it can be quite the lucrative career.
>>
>>46831111

I still don't understand why they made Mialee so ungodly hideous. What is the benefit they went after? SJW points? Even they don't like ugly people, just fat people. Did they try to illustrate how CHA is unrelated to appearance by making a CHA 18 character who looked like total dogshit? That should have been a one-off joke at most, not an "iconic" character.
>>
>>46834329
Ancient egyptians removed hair from literally their whole bodies. The post you replied literally tells you medieval europeans shaved their cunts too.
>>
>>46835802
Half of the chinese look like they're downz (no offence).
>>
>>46841017
>Mialee
>CHA 18
Say what now?
>>
Maybe artist was shit, i remember his other pieces didn't do faces well either.
>>
>>46841345

He missed a 1. It's 8, not 18
>>
>>46841017

>CHA 18

I thought it was 10.
>>
>>46831111
Well, for starters, Mialee isn't a Witcher character.
>>
>>46840629
I like you, you can come over to my house and fuck my sister.
>>
File: 1414616913253.gif (2 MB, 290x436) Image search: [Google]
1414616913253.gif
2 MB, 290x436
Been reading the series.

I'm surprised not many people have called Yen on her bullshit.

Geralt is a smart enough man that he she at least see through the veneer and be horrified by the idea of a thin veil that separates this stunning woman from the crookback, long nosed 91 year old woman she truly is.
>>
>>46831968
No, but I would polymorph someone into that and then fug them.
>>
>>46844948
Its not a veneer, the magic altered the physical shape of her body. This is obvious in that she no longer has a serious spinal deformity, and is able to do things that require a normally shaped back. They go over this in 'The Last Wish' and apparently 'World of the Witcher' has more details, although the pertinent section is easily available on the wiki.

Anyway, the reason no one brings it up is that most sorceresses were ugly before magic school made they good looking and as a result quite vain. Since sorceresses are both individually powerful and quite human, at best commenting would be very rude, and at worse dangerous.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.