[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a good unforgiving game for a barely experienced group?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: Sunday School.jpg (332 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Sunday School.jpg
332 KB, 800x600
What is a good unforgiving game for a barely experienced group? I was thinking about pic related but I want recommendations

Story: I've been GMing for a goup of friends of mine who had never played a TTRPG. Some hadn't even played a video game RPG. I decided to GM The One Ring, since everyone was a fan of the movies. And although the game can be unforgiving, I've really gone soft on them except on a few occasions, so they're not used to their precious PCs dying horrible deaths. I want to blood them, but I also want to make it an interesting game. I was thinking about Dark Heresy II, but I've never GMd it. Would you recommend another game that will have the players taking up new PCs because their previous one is a pile of phosphorescent goo every 15-30 minutes?

P.S.: This is not to punish my players or to feed my sadism. I'm thinking of doing a one shot that's particularly cruel but ultimately winnable, just so they can experience PC death in a safe environment for the first time. So give it all you got.

P.S. 2: Yes, it is a little to feed my sadism.
>>
Haven't played 2nd ed. but Dark Heresy 1st Ed. did this really well. Even the basic mission in the back of the book could easily lead to TPK if the GM is playing everything by-the-rules. I've never played Only War, but considering that you're playing as an Imperial Guardman in that one I'd imagine it probably has a high mortality rate as well.

The biggest problem you'd be facing with these systems would be less the system themselves and more the setting. 40k can be difficult for newcomers to wrap their heads around and is nearly impossible to explain with brevity. If this is a group who have never heard of it, that could cause you some problems. Not saying you shouldn't go for it, but it's something to keep in mind if this group is as green as you describe.
>>
>>46690362
DH2 has retained the lethality. Especially since psykers can't cast fettered anymore.
>>
File: 1397003643560441.jpg (31 KB, 468x322) Image search: [Google]
1397003643560441.jpg
31 KB, 468x322
>>46690413
>>
>>46690362
>>46690413

Even without the setting, I loved the system.

Well, not skills. Crazy-high failure chance on the things you're good at, let alone the things you suck at. GMs should probably only use unmodified skill rolls for in-combat actions; out of combat, when you can take your time, you should get a +40% modifier or something.

But the combat is a joy. It's wonderful to have mechanics that encourage in-game thinking! Use flashbangs, use cover! Fight like a swat team, or wind up on a slab!
>>
>>46689877
LIFE
>>
>>46690518
Agreed. Talents can also end up becoming a drag towards the higher levels (simply due to how many a character can rack up over the course of a campaign). But yeah, combat is pretty much XCOM on tabletop (hilariously bad aim and all).

Pic extra related cuz an average human in DH has a BS of 35, and the bonus for being at point-blank range is +30 so....
>>
>>46690695
Note that combat in DH2E considers the enemy to be moving and trying their best not to be hit. If an enemy is not moving at all and will not react it is effectively considered Helpless.
>>
File: reincarnation.png (8 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
reincarnation.png
8 KB, 450x450
>>46690574
Unless you believe in reincarnation, taking up new PCs every 15-30 minutes isn't going to cut it for LIFE. And even then, we should be talking about bacteria or other microorganisms.
>>
>>46690847
>I am incarnation of Escherichia coli.
>>
>>46690695
At least in first edition, it's not quite THAT bad. Accurate weapon, red-dot laser sight, full round action to aim is already +40. With 35 BS, that's 75% to hit before even considering range.
>>
>>46690997
The second retains that, but makes it harder for low level characters to get a load of cool things.

The result is an actually harder start, but once you get going gear is easier to get a hold of.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.