[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Limited
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11
File: en_0KtJV0DIju.png (147 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
en_0KtJV0DIju.png
147 KB, 265x370
So Shadows Over Innistrad is out. Anyone do any drafts this weekend? How'd you do? What'd you build? Any good pulls for other decks?
>>
if drafting dont pick blue if you can
br madness is absurd
white is strong
mono G can work and will be ignored by other players if you draft
>>
File: 1319393515847.jpg (7 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1319393515847.jpg
7 KB, 250x188
>>46591428
I won with this glorious bastard last night.

>first pack, open him
>wanted to build white anyway because it looked fun
>next 3 packs (5 players) someone passes me a Hope Against Hope, Nahiri's Machinations, and a Haunted Cloak
>ended up fucking steamrolling
>>
>>46591428
Went 2-1 on Friday with UG clues splashing Sigarda and Odric. Overall, pretty insane cards for the clue engine, but I would have needed some removal, one or two more threats and some decent three drops. Against a mono red aggro deck in round two I could only keep blocking with Ulvenwald Mysteries unitl I got to 13 lands, because drawing 3 a turn means nothing if it's all lands.

Last game went like this:

>board is stalled, I get hit slowly beat down by two flyers
>after attacks, I play my third Briabridge Patrol
>next turn, opponent holds back a flyer since I have the creatures to flip Westvale Abbey
>During his second main phase, I sacrfice four clues
>gain four 1/1s of Ulvenwald mysteries
>Draw Odric and Rabid Bite
>EoT play Odric off Briarbridge Patrol's effect
>During my turn, sac tokens and a 2/2 to flip Abbey
>Have Ohrmendal Rabid Bite his only flying blocker
>Swing for 35 Vigilance Flying Indestructible Haste Lifelink Trample
>>
>>46591428
went 2-2 yesterday with a B/U evasion deck. don't usually play control so I made some questionable decisions with counters and stuff which cost me a few games. buuuut i won with triskaidekaphobia twice and tied with it once so i'll take that as a win.
>>
Drafted abzan value with about 10 removal spells and odric. Came second overall. Also pulled westvale abbey but didnt get to flip it.
>>
>>46591428

Trying to get a SoI redraft going with friends, but proving difficult. Schedules not lining up to get more than 4 people together. Everybody wants to do it, especially people who missed the pre-release, but still.
>>
>>46592439
Who the fuck passes those

What kind of badness did you draft with?
>>
>>46592118
I can vouch for this. I was nearly ready to go mono green before I got some tasty whites in there. G/W human is strong, even without their wonderful rares backing them up.

Our draft was absurd, I got passed lots of the rare dual lands, a pack guardian, and yet they were still pulling solid stuff. I didn't use a single rare that I pulled, and still made it all the way to the final round before losing 2-1 to mana screwage.

This format is fantastic.
>>
I was all set to do some kind of weird UR madness build, but then I pulled an Odric in my second pack and switched to Boros

Went 2/2
>>
3-1 at prerelease with br vampires. Olivia is a bomb, got some aggressive 2drops, a couple of madness spells and the deck played itself because you beat down quick and got efficient removal. Got turn 4 kills in limited which is pretty insane.
3-0ed a draft on friday with RG wolves, I got lucky and opened Arlin in pack 3 after having picked up all the wolf removal and some decent creatures. Arlin won 4 out of my 7 games, when I drew her she just took over. Absolute bomb and the extra value in a beatdown strategy is ridiculous.
1-2-1 in a sealed yesterday where I played UG clue value things. The deck was missing some pieces and lacked removal, so that wasn't surprising at all.

Generally I'd say beatdown is easier to build than anything else, the UG clue deck looks hilarious though and I hope I can get it together in a draft once. I was surprised at how open wolves was at my draft since it seems like one of the more obvious archetypes. Format can be really fast but I like it, looks diverse once people figure out how to draft the not-so-obvious decks.
>>
Drafted a deck with Ulvenwald Mysteries, Ongoing Investigation and 2x Fleeting Memories. Only one Erdwal illuminator but shit was super fucked up. I'd basically force a board stall with x/3, x/4 and x/5 critters then clue up and grind them out or deck them.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
So I bought my first MtG cards ever, what now?
>>
>>46599779
Regret wasting $15 on shit cards.

Intro packs are usually pretty terrible. Your best bet mext time is a duel deck, a booster box, or commander intro pack. All depending on what format you want to play.
>>
>>46599833
Why are starters shit?
>>
>>46600084
so muh secondary market doesn't get affected
>>
>>46600084
Why Wizards make them intentionally bad? answer >>46600133

Why are they bad decks? They have bad cards in them. Take that to FNM and post results. It's -okay- when first starting out as a skeleton to be changed but they have low synergy, can't win in even 15 turns, overcosted (the spells cost too much mana for what they do), etc.
>>
>>46600360
I see, I was hoping to get a deck that would have decent synergy so I have an easier time learning how to play.
>>
>>46600435
To be honest, the spirit deck isn't an awful starting point, even if you did make the 'mistake' of buying one.

The R/W one is offensively bad, but the spirits are pretty simple to expand upon.
>>
>>46600476
>>46600435
Intro decks aren't a terrible starting point honestly. They're just the worst option. You'll be fine. It's how most of us started out.
>>
>>46600779
I started with Selesnya United and it was completely worthless.

You're gonna go far, kid.
>>
>>46600779
they aren't a terrible starting point for casual magic. They are decently tuned against each other and they are mostly there to teach you the rules and give you a couple of cards. You can't expect to win a single game on an fnm with one though, and that is the problem with the product. The learning curve in mtg is quick and competition is what keeps the game interesting for most players, these decks are completely unsuitable for any form of competition though.
If you want to grab a friend and learn the game, play some casual magic together and have fun then intro packs are a good product, for all other purposes they aren't.
>>
>>46600806
orzhov power over here
>>
>>46600476
Which one is the "R/W?"
>>
>>46600983
The one they've entitled Angelic Fury.
>>
>>46599779
Post what's in those packs.
>>
>>46591428
oh man... had a pretty horrible release night. pack rares were the red spell copy enchantment, the red sorcery that summons devils and deathcap cultivator. Only saving grace for value was a cryptolith rite that got passed to me.

Built g/w aggroshit. few games was able to dump my hand by turn 3 with rite. Any other game I got steamrolled. Just some generic green and white dudes without much syngery. few werewolves, few humans, nothing to deal with flyers.

Second dude I played against had Sigarda, Abbey, hydra and that blink instant. Totally smashed me.
>>
>>46601375
Here's pack 1
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 4032x3024
>>46601688
Fug
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 4032x3024
>>46601688
>>46601749
Pack 2
>>
>>46592118
Why avoid blue? I've drafted it twice, both times being UW flyers (no real spirit synergy other than a bunch of Apothecary Geists), and my overall record is 6-1.
>>
File: pretty good.jpg (33 KB, 339x425) Image search: [Google]
pretty good.jpg
33 KB, 339x425
>>46601749
>Invocation of St. Traft & Eerie Interlude
>Some solid utility commons like Dauntless Cathar
>With the purchase of the Blue White Spirit Deck
You're getting decent additions off the bat. I wouldn't call it a bust at all.
>>
>>46601818
The art on Open the Armory is the best thing ever
>>
>>46602261
Like seriously look at this baller-ass motherfucker

Dude could probably kill everything on the plane
>>
>just got into Magic after reading about it but not playing ever since original Zendikar
>also got my boyfriend into it
>farting around with modified Intro Packs

we're bad but having fun

Arlinn Kord is my waifu and I hope I pull her soon
>>
File: whoa what.jpg (13 KB, 232x185) Image search: [Google]
whoa what.jpg
13 KB, 232x185
>>46602356
>got my boyfriend into it
>Arlinn Kord is my waifu
>>
>>46602409
People are bi, anon. It's why the lorefags want Nissa/Chandra/Gideon action.
>>
>>46602409

I'm mostly straight but have made an exception for my boyfriend

he got the W/B spirits started and I got the G/B one but scratch-built R/G werewolves

Return to Khans when so I can play Mardu, I feel cheated for missing out
>>
>>46602579
>I'm mostly straight
OK
>but have made an exception for my boyfriend
Nah you gay
>>
>>46602604

I'm mostly straight with some wiggle room. My boyfriend is FtM; I'm not attracted to cis men.

What are you playing in SOI Limited? What do you want from Eldritch Moon? I'm hoping we get an unexpected Planeswalker card.
>>
>>46602757
>ftm

Then she's your girlfriend
>>
>>46602757
>What are you playing in SOI Limited?
I generally force Green White wherever I can, and it's usually pretty easy, since the flashy cards are usually everywhere but in those two colours, unless someone pulls Avacyn or something.
>>
>>46602905

But he tops and is going to have his chest removed soon.
>>
>>46603074
Fucking degenerates
>>
File: 1447641893864.jpg (21 KB, 252x368) Image search: [Google]
1447641893864.jpg
21 KB, 252x368
>>46602579
is it just me, or does the /tg/ realm of hobbies tend to have more Bi people than would be statistically representative?

In other words, anon, why do we like dick?
>>
>>46600806

Saviors of kamigawa intro. You cant complain about shit
>>
>>46603468
Oh buddy. That's rough.

I can say with absolute certainty that Selesnya United was indeed better than the Kamigawa starters, because me and a buddy pulled them off the shelf at our FLGS together at the same time and cracked them immediately to start playing.

I won handily.
>>
>>46603200

The average person is less straight than we are led to believe and an anonymous forum of individuals who already exist in a shunned niche are likely to not care about fitting a marginalized identity?
>>
>>46600806
>>46600936
Well my first starter had a Skullclamp in it so I could have a skewed opinion of starter packs.
>>
File: unf.jpg (133 KB, 500x746) Image search: [Google]
unf.jpg
133 KB, 500x746
>>46602295
That's one of the things I love about Innistrad, is that the humans are the "take no shit, Humanity fuck yeah!" type of humans.
>>
I took out my LGS's first SOI FNM 4-0. Doesn't say much about my deckbuilding so much as people tunnelling their chosen colours or poorly evaluating rares.
Decklist ended up as follows:
2x Stitched Mangler
1x Niblis of Dusk
1x Ghoulcaller's Apprentice
1x Tooth Collector
1x Kindly Stranger
1x Accursed Witch
1x Stitchwing Skaab
1x Erdwall Illuminator
1x Reckless Scholar
1x Thraben Gargoyle
2x Asylum Visitor
1x Prized Amalgam
1x Mindwrack Demon

3x Dead Weight
1x Murderous Compulsion
1x Ghostly Wings
1x Jace's Scrutiny
1x Ongoing Investigation
1x Slayer's Plate
1x Tamiyo's Journal

SB: 1x Engulf the Shore, Pore Over Pages, Magnifying Glass, Catalog, Stormrider Spirit. Hatedrafted some pretty strong uncommons too.

>>46597640
>who the fuck passes those?
Anyone who isn't fucking terrible. In a vacuum they're all atrocious and you should feel bad for thinking otherwise. In fact, they're so bad had I been the Odric guy I'd probably have passed them and bet on the wheel if the packs were anything other than dessicated shit.

Go for what's open, guys. Don't force B/R vamps because at least three shitters at every table will be gunning for it. Werewolves can be similar but are stronger individually so you aren't quite as fucked when they dry up.
>>
>>46599833
>duel deck
>commander
>a booster box

nice try Jewzards of the Coast
>>
>>46601852
yeah uw works and i had a doubt about pointing that out
but i tried ub and find out lack of sinergy inbetween mechanics of the two colors, like having no fast madness enablers from blue or having zero interaction with clues from black
>>
>>46591428
I went 3-0 on with BR madness vampires
Shit was mad fun, didn't even pull a single value card while drafting but the prize netted me a westvale abbey and a jace
>>
>>46600476
What about the UG one? I was thinking about buying it.
>>
>>46607009
Sounds like your Magic game is as bad as your grammar. UB is an inherently complementary pairing. Murderous Compulsion and Stitched Mangler. The fact that UB has a tribe of its own is another strong hint for you. As for the whole no madness enablers twaddle, try Reckless Scholar, Stitchwing Skaab, Rottenheart Ghoul, Pale Rider of Trostad, Call the Bloodline, Ghoulsteed or Murderer's Axe. There are a bagful of enablers -- try being less retarded.
>>
Flyers are extremely powerful because there's so few

Gryff's boon is amazing
>>
>>46603468
Didn't one of the Kamigawa intro decks come with a Jitte?
>>
>>46600983
Red/White
The abbreviations are the first letter of the color with U representing blUe.
>>
>>46599779
Don't pay attention to the losers anon. Welcome to Magic! I'm sure you picked that deck because you fancied the flavor, the colors, or the promo seemed cool. It may not be winning you any standard tournies as is, but with a few additions you are well on your way! The next step is to open those boosters and see if you have anything to improve your deck. This week practice and start the long journey of researching as much as you can/practicing, and this Friday find a local store that hosts a draft for you to join. This way you can open packs, pick more cards in your colors, and improve your base deck even more!

tldr; Welcome to Magic, I'm an optimist.
>>
>>46602757
If Tamiyo isn't in the follow up set I will quit magic.
>>
>>46592118
The thing with blue is it has the 2/1 looter at uncommon. The card is busted as fuck with madness in the format. I did a draft where I got 4 and I destroyed. I just shat value everywhere till I dug for my bombs.
>>
>>46608989
>the 2/1 looter at uncommon
Which one is that? I know that Mad Prophet got a reprint but I can't think of the blue looter
>>
I drafted Jund Madness/Delirium.
Mad Prophet and Macabre Waltz are crazy value, Vessel of Nascency is a really nice boost to consistency.
>>
>>46609096

Reckless Scholar. In SOI it's uncommon. In original Zendikar it was common.
>>
>>46609096
Reckless Scholar.
>>
Anyone remember the practice game that came on a CD with the 9th edition starter pack?
"Creatures deal their combat damage." OK. "OOMPH!"
>>
>>46602295
Daily reminder this guy is shooting bear traps at Angels
>>
File: 66259065.jpg (63 KB, 483x270) Image search: [Google]
66259065.jpg
63 KB, 483x270
just waiting patiently for the new set to be released on MTGO so I can finally start playing
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.