[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
No That Guy thread? Let's vent /tg/ >Starting new game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53
File: rageface.jpg (129 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
rageface.jpg
129 KB, 1600x1071
No That Guy thread? Let's vent /tg/

>Starting new game
>Advertising for players
>Guy comes up.
>Wants to play a custom class
>Red flag waving
>Look over what this class is, named "The Ninja".
>It surprisingly isn't overtly weebish
>Basically a rogue.
>Except it has all these funny abilities about stealing things from people who "know, trust, or travel with the ninja", often with low level mind magic to make them forget they had the item in question to begin with.
>Ohfuckno.jpg.
>Starts whining and asking what's wrong with the idea, most of the abilities "aren't even that good".
>Tell him that that kind of player to player dickery isn't what I want at my table.
>He calls me a shit for trying to keep thief types from stealing. "It's what they do!"
>Goes over to other potential players and starts stage whispering about how much of a shit GM I must be, since I absolutely forbid any intraparty conflict, even when it's organic.

Where do these people come from?
>>
File: user.png (16 KB, 448x448) Image search: [Google]
user.png
16 KB, 448x448
>>46372236
PTU player here,

>Be gaming with group
>come across lake of magikarp
> that guy tells us it must be a major plot point
> we tell him its just a lake of fish
> 30 mins of arguing.jpeg
> eventually we give in and battle the magikarp
> levels 2-49
> oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
> we win after another 3 HOURS of battle...
> GM tells us its over for the night

LATER

> Get message from GM
> States that the player is demanding double XP for finding out the GMs plot point
> GM stats that it was just filler to fill out the world
> Player is pissed and demands to have the double XP still
> GM says no
> TFW our group is now divided over something stupid like this
>GM wont kick this guy because "muh friendship"
>>
File: MURDERHOBO ADVENTURES.png (432 KB, 1078x729) Image search: [Google]
MURDERHOBO ADVENTURES.png
432 KB, 1078x729
>Join a campaign that's already in progress
>Spend a few days before the session talking with the GM and some of the players over skype to hash out my backstory.
>End up playing a mage character from a city in the setting that's basically a city of academics and mages.
>Said character is, understandably, very loyal to the his city and the queen that rules it.
>Literally before the first session is over, the one player I didn't talk to decides he has some personal grudge against the Queen and mages in general (the GM literally gave him no reason to be enemies with her, the party had never even been in her city before now.)
>Player proceeds to guilt-trip me the entire time because I refuse to join him in a random attempt to assassinate her.
>Even after we get him released from prison by playing the thing off as a misunderstanding, he continues to guilt trip me for "trying to tear the party apart".
>Literally nobody else in the game wanted to be a part of this, but That Guy guilt-trips them relentlessly too, until they all eventually give in because they just wana play the fucking game.
>I eventually just leave because I don't wana be playing a game where one player's out-of-character whining is supposed to get my character to betray their homeland on one player's WTF RANDUMB whim.

2 sessions later another player quit for similar reasons, but fuck man, this seems to happen to me alot. I'm not sure if the problem is mine, and if I stick to being in-character too much, or if the problem is just that I get shitty players and/or GMs who don't know how to deal with them...
>>
These kinds of people are why I'm terrified of trying D&D. I've always wanted to play a tabletop rpg but I'm worried my noobness will just be taken advantage of. Or worse, I end up as That Guy.
>>
>>46373621
>Or worse, I end up as That Guy.
You are already on a good way to not become one
>>
>>46373621
>Start Playind D&D
>Worried thanks to the stories posted in /tg/
>Weeks in
>Surprisingly no one is That Guy
>I have some problems adjusting to the feeling of a combat oriented game
>Avoid openly attacking people or using lethal damage
>Finally hit something
>Sudden Realization I haven't damaged anything thanks to the -4 penalty and shitty character over the course of the whole campaign
>As a Fighter
>tfw I was That Guy all along.
>>
>>46372288
The solution is quite simple: Give him what he wants.

Give him the double XP, give him the major plot point. Actually, give him double XP for the rest of the game.
For his slaughter of a lake of Magikarp, he gets cursed with the Wrath of the Magikarp. Every Pokémon he owns turns into a level 1 Magikarp that only knows Splash whenever it enters its Pokéball or when he falls asleep.
At night, he has nightmares of fleeing from a horde of Magikarp while the silhouette of a Gyarados looms in the distance and its faint cry can be heard.
After a few days, reveal to him that he is slowly turning into a Magikarp himself. As his transformation progresses, the Gyarados in his dreams becomes clearer, louder and closer.

The cure to his condition lies at the end of the actual plot.
>>
>>46373621
>These kinds of people are why I'm terrified of trying D&D. I've always wanted to play a tabletop rpg but I'm worried my noobness will just be taken advantage of. Or worse, I end up as That Guy.
It doesn't completely discourage me from playing RPG's because I usually volunteer to GM (as it's my preferred role) and I can take comfort in the knowledge that I'm more stubborn than even the bitchiest That Guys.

But I'm still reluctant to run anything in certain systems like Pathfinder simply because I can't bring myself to trust players enough to not abuse the fuck out of the system.
>>
>start fantasy campaign because people wanted it
>one player can only make it every other two weeks
>gm works around him a few times but difficulties arise
>another player has an idea he wants to run in the off weeks
>promising but shaky start
>next session off week gm doesn't run, he searches host's apartment for guns, causes host's bike chain to drop by shifting gears while its stopped, and generally confrontational
>just a prank, bro
>next time he's supposed to run he cancels game the day of, only communicates that because someone in the group called him first, and calls people cunts for calling him out on it

I understand having a life outside of game and that things come up unexpectedly. What I don't get is treating the host like shit or having such an insanely high double standard.
>>
File: image.jpg (181 KB, 668x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181 KB, 668x900
>>46373621
I'm gonna drop some knowledge on you.

There's an old /tg/ saying that goes "No Game is better than a Bad Game," but recently I saw it condensed into something that holds true even more.

No Game > Game.

The hard truth of our hobby is that the sheer number of That Guys, That Girls, Shit GMs and bad parties outnumber good players with good social habits to such a degree that any given game you join or try to run is almost guaranteed to be a bad game. And the worst part is this: the good gaming groups are not good enough, will never be good enough, to live up to the group that you want in your head or the headache of weaning through bad games until you find a passable one. It will always leave you feeling empty in the end. There's so many That Guys because we are That Community. The fact of the matter is, we might just be That Hobby. No game is better than trying to get a game together.

That doesn't mean you can't enjoy /tg/. He bright side is that you're enjoying the hobby right now in the best possible way: in theory, not in practice. Traditional gaming is infinitely more valuable as an exercise in theory crafting, the discussion and exploration of mechanical systems, world building, and vicariously enjoying the distilled highlights of other people's games. And don't let yourself be fooled, every last "RPG highlight story" and "epic greentext" is, when not an outright fabrication, the result of a desperate attempt on the writer's part to justify the sunk cost of hours and hours of shitty gameplay by extracting a handful of standout moments. The experience of playing tabletop games is almost invariably miserable, and the exceptions will always only be "good enough."

Don't feel bad about That Guy stories putting you off from finding a group. Accept That Guy as what it is. It's the norm, that natural state of things, and then do what I did years ago: walk away, appreciate the concept of our hobby from a distance, and accept this is how it's meant to be.
>>
>>46375243
See, that sort of defeatism is exactly what allows That Guys to proliferate.

Don't just back out of it, for fuck sake, or if you do then at least accept that you have outright abandoned the hobby. Its Traditional Games, remember? You need to play to participate.

Its fine if all you want to do is watch other people play and such. However, if you have the balls, you should play. Fuck That Guy, fuck That DM. Make your own group. DM yourself if you have to. You can find great enjoyment in this hobby, as I myself have, and defeatism such as this will not lead you there.
>>
>>46375243
holy shit dude

this isn't a copypasta, which leads me to believe that this isn't bait, and its really, really sad to know someone thinks this way and probably tells other people this shit on a regular basis.
>>
>>46375243
Or you could just like... not play on the internet.

Seriously, having a good gaming group is as easy as having friends you actually get along with in real life.
>>
>>46375243
That is a well thoughtout and thoughtful, if depressing, point of view. However I find I must respectfully disagree with your end conclusion. It's that we ALL have been "that guy" one time or another. Any community has their good and bad, and everyone has issues. And while yes, gaming can be a pile of crap with several shiny moments, but so is sports, exersizing, reading, TV, movies and everything else mankind does. You can concentrate on the bad or see the good.
Again, I totally see your point and for many years I was a proponent of this view. Then I found my current group. Are they perfect? No. But we have fun and in the end, that is the point of the hobby. It's what gygax and Anderson did right up to the day they died, and it is what I want to do as well.
I truely hope you find a group my friend.

Tl;dr I respectfully disagree
>>
>>46372236
>Start campaign
>Inter-party conflict is explicitly allowed (not hugely happy with that as GM but we had a group vote)
>That guy goes with Player X to kill Player Y (i.e. is ok with betrayal)
>gets mad when Player X turns on him
>starts whining how "betrayal ruins the game" when he was fine with it earlier
>>
>>46375243
How much of antidepressant do you eat to deal with that amount of cowardice?
>>
>>46375243
I am afraid I too must disagree. No group is the perfect group, but there are groups you can have fun with, without That Guys. My group right now isn't perfect, and at times each player has their That Guys moments. But in the end I enjoy playing with them, and they're good 99% of the time.
>>
File: 1458888026041.png (13 KB, 555x407) Image search: [Google]
1458888026041.png
13 KB, 555x407
>>46375243
>The hard truth of our hobby is that the sheer number of That Guys, That Girls, Shit GMs and bad parties outnumber good players with good social habits to such a degree that any given game you join or try to run is almost guaranteed to be a bad game.

I mean, if that's your experience, fine, but I've never had a That Guy in my games. A couple of players who weren't very enthusiastic or never quite grasped the rules and slowed play down because of it, sure, but never the kind of willful pig-headedness that characterizes That Guy.

>inb4 "you are That Guy"
>>
>>46376298
This. Admittedly, I've had a few "that guys" over the years... but they were the rare exception, not the rule.
>>
File: 1447711237161.png (1 MB, 1100x731) Image search: [Google]
1447711237161.png
1 MB, 1100x731
>>46374788

>he was a magikarp all along, the plot is a story of his self-actualization
>MFW

Please do this, OP
>>
>>46375243
That Guy detected.
>>
>>46376529
>I'm a gay fish!
>>
>Friend asks me to organize a party for a game he wants to dm. Everyone gets hyped up to play.
>everytime we can get together he bails last minute
>it's been 2 months
Is he that guy or just flaky? Would it be a dick move if I just took over and ran a game?
>>
>>46376696
Could just be a flake, does he have a history of anxiety or depression? That's caused some of my players to dip out of games last minute before. Bring it up to him at some point, inoffensively, and see if he can shed some light on it.
>>
>>46376768
He's a cool dude and a good friend but it just drives me nuts when everyone else can settle on a date and the night before says he can't run it. I feel bad for the other guys in the game
>>
File: Magikarp.gif (271 KB, 500x235) Image search: [Google]
Magikarp.gif
271 KB, 500x235
>>46374788
>>
>>46375243

Who hurt you?
>>
>>46377483

Magikarp, of course.
>>
>>46375243
Speak for yourself, Bubba.
>>
>>46373621
This is why I don't play tabletop games at all.
Too sanguine. I'd end up punching That Guy in the face.
>>
>>46372236

>VERY low magic fantasy setting.
>A bit more than the early ASOIF books, (and a very different tone) but think along those lines.
>PCs get embroiled in a war between two neighboring kingdoms.
>Their side ultimately wins.
>During the peace, the king of the country they sided with demands a heavy reparation: A magic sword.
>Cue in That Guy.
>Oh, it's so stupid
>Oh, it's not realistic
>It's not even like the sword is that good, it's only a 3% greater to hit and a tiny bit more damage.
>Why is the king so retarded
>Why does he want this piece of shit anyway? I thought most people fought with crossbows in this world in any case, it's not going to make his army stronger!
>The other, non-autistic players all immediately grasp that it's for the prestige; there are like 5 confirmed magic swords on the continent, and having one means You Are A Big Deal.
>Does not get it.
>For literally months afterwards, any time he had a complaint about the setting, he would wind up going over the fucking magic sword indemnity.
>>
File: RuneSoldier4.jpg (90 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
RuneSoldier4.jpg
90 KB, 640x480
>>46375243
>>46373621

If a group's bad, you leave. If a group's good, you stay.

I've had a couple of bad groups, a couple of average groups, and several FUCKING AMAZING groups.

Last night, the party freed some slaves on the way to kill the enemy general. The party barbarian found the remainder of her long-missing tribe among the slaves. They had a narrow window to kill the general, but the slaves needed to get past a golem to escape; the party basically had to either let the slaves get crushed or let the BBEG escape.

After a heartfelt discussion of loyalty, honor, and tactics, the barbarian gave her most powerful magic item to the escaping slaves to fight the golem with, and also convinced the party spellcasters to blow their wad sending a couple of giant elementals to help fight the golem. They then went to fight the villain at a disadvantage, for purely roleplay reasons. As their GM, I am proud. Barbarian girl deserves a story reward, gotta think of something.

Keep looking, there are good groups out there!
>>
I'm realizing that I'm That Guy in my group

>first time playing tabletop let alone D&D
>choose to be over the top, murderhobo fighter based on a popular professional wrestler
>every one else is playing some weird weebish concept so I feel justified being dumb too
>every time the DM throws out a plot hook I lead the party away from it
>eventually the DM has a DMPC hold our hands and lead us to the plot because we're just dicking around
>I instantly hate the plot we're given and do my best to continue to avoid it
>everyone else is on board though so I'm the only one doing this
>I insult every one of the NPCs to their (the DM's) face
>I show up drunk every meeting
>I constantly try to separate the party so things go slower
>I constantly try to kill anything and everything the DM introduces
>I tell all female NPCs about my dick to derail their half hour speeches
>I make racial slurs at all non-human PCs and NPCs (there are a lot of these)

I feel bad now that I think about it, but at the same time it's just a bunch of dweebs trying to out snowflake each other including the DM. I feel like I should just drop the group and stop getting in their way, but they're the only group that plays on the campus that I know of.
>>
>>46377945

Man up and drop out.
They're trying to have fun, and you're stifling others' creativity at every turn.
>>
>>46377945
should have rolled a barbarian and you would be in character
>>
>>46377945
And no group would accept you if that is your behaviour.
>>
>>46377945
That Guy completely depends on the group.

I played a goofy fantasy orc in a game intended to be a '/k/ vs fantasy' circlejerk. I was That Guy then, you're That Guy now.
>>
>>46378075

That's kind of where I'm at with it. I feel like I'm being a douche but I've essentially become defacto party leader because the group loves my jokes and general shitty hijinks. I can't fathom why, I mean I spent a good amount of time whisper-telling the other human in the party that we needed to kill the "greenskin" orc and the table including the orc player ate it up. I was just being an asshole imo but they thought it was funny.
>>
>>46378139
I mean, if everyone's having fun...

Try and strike up an agreement to "blunder" into the plot with your DM if you want to stay with the group, and have your dicking around be productive?
>>
File: bear monk.gif (4 MB, 200x164) Image search: [Google]
bear monk.gif
4 MB, 200x164
>>46376696
>>46376768
>>46376991

I used to have that problem. Lots of ideas, lots of enthusiasm, social anxiety. I would enjoy running a game once or twice, but then it would become a weird nervous-making burden and I couldn't do it any more.

I got over it. Half of it is that I'm handling all my shit better, but the other half is that my group is now mostly stable couples. Getting two couples together for something is much less difficult than scheduling four singles.

And we're all good enough friends now that they know my deal. If I'm having a bad day, we can just cancel or watch a movie together instead. Knowing that I have that out, that no one's gonna be pissed off if I can't run, makes me much less anxious. As a result, last night I ran my game's 50th session!
>>
>>46378180

This sounds like the best solution. You don't have to leave, and you don't have to take things seriously, but try to direct your efforts toward advancing the game and making things fun rather than trying to ruin it. You can be a wisecracking asshole and still go on quests, if there's gold in it.
>>
>>46374190
far from "That Guy" status. Now if you were bitching about the game being unfair because you werent doing damage or trying to force a sex scene with the GM however...
>>
Story from early in my very first game

>party in some nice manor over run with bandits
>everything is going fine
>bandits are in some cult. They stole a holy book from the local temple.
>we cut our way through the bandits. Murder fuck their leader
>find the book
>we get ready to leave. It's late at night and our characters are all tired and wounded. We decide to call out in the house
>end session
>next session. One player is missing.
>where is anon?
>story is he tried to steal the book and run. He failed and ran away
>real reason is he wanted to murder our mage for being a 'good guy'
>apparently threw a fucking fit when the dm said no.
>>
>>46378482
>real reason is he wanted to murder our mage for being a 'good guy'
>apparently threw a fucking fit when the dm said no.
What.
>>
File: orc fem rider.jpg (333 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
orc fem rider.jpg
333 KB, 1000x750
>Running a game for 30 year old married people
>They treat each other with respect
>They treat NPCs like people
>They have passionate in-character arguments about goals and ethics
>I prep the game, someone else cooks, third person brings beer
>No That Guy, no That Girl

The dream is alive! Don't give up hope!
>>
>>46378651
Tell us stories anon
Give us hope
>>
File: lemmetellyouwhythatsbullshit.png (609 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
lemmetellyouwhythatsbullshit.png
609 KB, 720x720
>>46375243
>The hard truth of our hobby is that the sheer number of That Guys, That Girls, Shit GMs and bad parties outnumber good players with good social habits to such a degree that any given game you join or try to run is almost guaranteed to be a bad game.

That's defeatist bullshit. All it takes is a GM who isn't a limp noodle when it coems to confronting That Guy. We have a player with That Guy tendencies in our group. Hell, several of us have them. Whoever's the GM - thier job is to ruthlessly squash that shit if it starts to crop up.

GM's that let that shit slide because it's their buddy doing the dickery, or because they don't want to lose a player, or whatever - they're not doing their fucking job, which is to manage the fucking game. Part of managing the game is managing player conflict. If you can't do it, get out of the GM chair or designate a bouncer to do that shit for you. Sometimes if you want to have a good time you have to take out the trash.

Alternately, you know what you can do? Play with people who are within punching distance, and have to look at your overweight, neckbeardy face. That Guys are so much more common online, because they don't see people. They don't see a someone who could lay them the fuck out if they act like a giggling tool, and all they'll see is your character avatar - which they can sexualize so much more easily than your stubble-ridden pimply mug.

Choosing the theoretical over the practical is how you get shit like 'the 3.5 fighter is sooooo overpowered! Look at all those attacks!' When all it takes is one actual encounter with a dragon, or one combat where the druid goes bear legion to disprove it.

I feel sorry for you, Archwizard, in that you have given up - but I have a great deal of fun playing all kinds of tabletop games, and only in two cases did I feel my time and money were completely wasted. I'm gonna keep gaming - and GMing.
>>
File: 1437936279690.jpg (561 KB, 991x786) Image search: [Google]
1437936279690.jpg
561 KB, 991x786
>playing a game with my brothers and cousins, all of whom are about 16-22 years old
>all half-elves or humans
>all fighters or rangers, with the exception of one wizard and rogue
>wizard complains about lack of scaling and attack power while standing in the middle of a goblin horde and screaming LotR memes
>is this nigga really trying to minmax
>he also cries about having no good items despite the fact I've been giving out loot but he sells it immediately for gold
>the rest are OK but they're could care less about story, lore, or NPCs
>I've just resorted to having enemies rape them if they fall in combat to entertain myself
>mfw I realized I thought a bunch of kids who came from playing LoL and CoD could roleplay
>>
File: spell chits.jpg (248 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
spell chits.jpg
248 KB, 1280x960
>>46379049

Well, for one thing all my players are super creative. One of them has access to a laser cutter and made pic related for keeping track of spells used! The wood ones are for the druid.

We use notecards to keep track of items and spell descriptions, and these always get made into beautiful little works of art. I prep and run sessions, and I get rewarded with cute little cartoons of magic swords and people casting spells! And then there are the minis... once they'd made minis for all their characters, they started in on their NPC friends and villains. I know they like one of my NPCs when they get a fully painted mini.

And they always talk to NPCs before attacking! They woke up in the middle of the night to find orcs, led by an ettin bard, boarding their airship. Instead of rolling initiative, the PCs offered them refreshments and asked to hear their names and deeds. Then they told the war-bard of a greater and more glorious threat that the PCs were heading off to fight, and called in a favor the Kaiser owed them to offer the greenskins land and titles in exchange for aid. Now the Chainbreaker Horde are their allies.

I love this group.
>>
>>46378651
Sounds like my group. We're all late 30's/early 40's people, some married, some not. The 'core group' of three have known each other since High school, 2 others we picked up around 15ish years ago at our FLGS.
>>
Can someone be a That Guy just because he's so passive? He never disrupts the game but he never does anything that's expected out of him either, unless it's explicitly stated.

Can't hate him but he makes everyone frustrated regularly and at worst delays the game a bit.
>>
>>46379996

I actually prefer tradtional that guys' to chucklefucks like these.

The worst is when you confront them, and they come at you with some bullshit about anxiety or not knowing what to do. Like, chill, asshole, everyone hears you snickering to bullshit let's plays and LoL matches.
>>
File: happy snake girl.png (389 KB, 481x481) Image search: [Google]
happy snake girl.png
389 KB, 481x481
>>46379576
>I've just resorted to having enemies rape them if they fall in combat to entertain myself
This reminds me of the subtitle of a game I played once.
>>
>>46373535
You shoulda killed him. If trying to talk things out with That Guy doesn't work, just take them down in PVP.
>>
File: 1439941074733.gif (1010 KB, 350x264) Image search: [Google]
1439941074733.gif
1010 KB, 350x264
>>46375243
I'm super sorry to hear that you've been beaten down so heavily. Not everyone has fallen so deeply into nihilism, though.
>>
>>46375665
>it's not fun when it happens to meeee!
>>
One of the ways to avoid disruptive/That Guy behaviour is to play with smaller groups. This gives everyone more spotlight and less wait time. Disrupting the game usually occurs when you're waiting for turns etc. Groups with 3 to 4 players don't suffer that much.

If the player is 'oh so random' it's very easy to explain that you and the rest of the players are looking for a different type of game and ask him to leave. "Everytime you mess around the others get annoyed. I know I wouldn't like that. Maybe this place isn't the best for you" In case that he's your friend. Run a second game with people who also adore the monthy python quotes, lolsorandom idiot acts and ohsofunny quips. Open yourself up to that and it could be hilarious. There's always a solution besides stamping your foot on the ground and grinding your teeth.

I've been lucky, my first gaming group was perfect and we've been gaming for almost 8 years now. We're not married 30 somethings like one of the anons before us but we handle the same 'one dms, one cooks, the rest bring booze' system. It works, everyone knows of each others shortcomings and strong points and the GM handles accordingly. One of the players has the tendency for rash actions. The answer has always been to shove that player into the consequences but making sure those consequences are interesting.

We play games with heavy in-party conflict (we mostly play VtM which lends itself to that kind of thing) but everyone has been mature about it.

There is always a solution to turning a bad game into a good game, and even if there isn't a good game is worth wading through all the shit ones for.

Don't lose hope, don't stop doing what you like. Keep gaming.
>>
>>46375243
If you never have any good games, you're that guy.
>>
>>46375243
Your advice is terrible. Please kindly fuck off and never return
>>
>>46379576
You've been raping your own family's fantasy self-inserts? Jesus Christ, bro, why?
>>
File: 1449036001560.jpg (106 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
1449036001560.jpg
106 KB, 554x439
>>46376298
I can register only two occasions of "that guy" occurring.
1 was a friend who we literally had a intervention with because out of game he was actually a decent fellow but his in game attitudes were fucking everything up. When he realized how much of a problem it was he came around and now is quite functional.

The other one however...Christ
This was from a different group I go with and he was a friend of one of the regulars. And he was by far the most whiny and annoying pieces of shit ever. He cause tons of problems in game and would just complain and whine if ever called on it.
This ended with him threatening to being a gun over a simple in game argument. He's since been banned for life from the store and we are all better for it.

Point is if you have a THAT guy in your group and aren't alone in having a problem with then then odds are you can do somthing g about it if you fucking try
>>
Fairly new DM here, made a huge mistake a couple months back that i will never repeat.
This was my first 5e campaing as a DM.
Also i apologize for the shitty english
>Starting a new campaign consisting of old firends i've played with before.
>New girl enters
>fairly naive, typical nerdy girl
>claims to have played the game beforehand
>I trust her and hand her a character sheet and begin to explain how it works
>"oh no its okay, i already made a character"
>hands me a character sheet and a drawing
>character sheet is good, nothing missed
>but the drawing is that of some kind of martian abomination
>"uhm... i dont really want to introduce new races this early"
>"What? Thats my character, a human ranger" she says, smiling nonchalantly
>"alright, what's her name?"
>gives me a stern look
>"Anon, its not a girl. it's and androgynous person"
>Red flags in my head
>"yeah sure, sorry"
>we start playing
>group is consisting of half elf wizard, half orc barbarian, gnome rouge, human ranger
>no one is too crazy or wild
>but her character always walks away from the group or tries to blame them for shit she does
>never stays consistent in her role and always changes personality and behaviour
>to make things worse, everytime i accidentaly calls her character a 'she', she flips her shit
>party is going to hell
>everyone uncomfortable
>i end it early
>friend tells me:
>"this was a horrible idea, inviting her"
>never invite her again
>>
>>46379696
I don't even DM and I'm still jealous.
>>
>>46381444
Checked.

Sounds like a case of you needing to simply lay down law.
The second time she flips her shit you shpuld have said somthing along the lines of: "if this is your reaction everytime we reference your character then you shpuld fucking leave"

Meleodramitic shit is awful and should never be tolerated
>>
My group is usually pretty good, but I had a new player ask to be a skeleton wizard with one spell: Sticks to Snakes.
>extremely low magic world, out of hundreds of thousands wizards are in the single digits
>skeletons are unintelligent and feral
>fucking sticks to snakes
>
>>
>>46382023
Fuck that guy, mang. That's an end-goal, not a starting point.
>>
>>46381333
I'm living my fantasy through these guys anon
I go home and bust the biggest load thinking about penetrating Gandork's unconscious body
>>
>>46382211
And after I told him no he wanted to be a guy who had two giant shields that fit together to make a hamster ball. In a world where black powder is a recent invention. And before this, when I wasn't GM, he was a loli summoner.

Actually, we already have a guy with two big shields, but he actually fills a role in the party being a diplomat and navigator. In combat he blocks doors.
>>
File: goebbels stare.jpg (39 KB, 634x592) Image search: [Google]
goebbels stare.jpg
39 KB, 634x592
>>46375243
Jesus christ, you sound like Morgan Freeman's character from Seven.
"Whelp, the world's completely evil and will never be good. Might as well whine about it and make it worse."
Please consider suicide, you bitter, jaded motherfucker.
>>
>>46382417
Not gonna lie, that hamster ball idea sounds hilarious, and I'd love to see it properly executed.

The problem is that I can't think of a way to make it feasible in any low-magic, pre-industry world.
And while the summoner class will always hold a special place in my heart, lolis will always have a special place in hell, as do the men roleplaying them.
>>
>>46382558
We actually talked that one over. The biggest problem is that someone outside the ball would have more leverage than someone inside it. Also, carrying around 600 pounds of unwieldy iron would really slow down a three-man party. And no, they couldn't get a wagon, there are pretty much no roads where they're going.

The final straw was that we already had a tank.
>>
File: Calvin4.png (22 KB, 494x186) Image search: [Google]
Calvin4.png
22 KB, 494x186
Saw this guy posting in a lgs facebook group and thought of these threads.
>>
File: 1413217833689.jpg (24 KB, 515x600) Image search: [Google]
1413217833689.jpg
24 KB, 515x600
>>46375243
As much as I want to disagree with you I've only ever found this to be true.

I wish I could quit cold turkey.
>>
>>46382780
The dragonborn part is a bit shit, wanting darkvision is a bit shit, but that's a clever solution.
>>
Just wanted to say that while no game is better than a bad game, the only way to find a good group is to keep looking. Don't get discouraged. The good groups are worth having to wade through all the shitty people out there. The best players I've ever met were all randoms from /tg/. Your group is out there. If you're looking for them, they're probably also looking for you.
>>
>>46383161
People say that about girlfriends, and yet I'm still single.
>>
>>46383239
Well, you can find a group online. You can find your group on this exact website. I wouldn't recommend doing that for a girlfriend.
>>
>>46383550
I'd never mix personal life and internet life, don't worry.
>>
I dunno if I'd be that guy but I asked multiple times to join a pathfinder game and made several character sheets but the DM said there were too many players every time. I've never gotten to play a tabletop game.
>>
File: ladyboy-rogue.png (1005 KB, 3500x1451) Image search: [Google]
ladyboy-rogue.png
1005 KB, 3500x1451
I miss the other people in this game. They were pretty cool, mostly.
>>
>have played alot
>start a new game with friends and a couple of guys who've I've never met
>"nah it's cool, they've played before"
>basic low level stuff
>roll totally random characters
>we're townsfolk with one of the new guys playing the local blacksmith the other is a traveler passing through
>at the local tavern
>traveler newguy sits in the corner with his hood up
>oh boy here we go
>suddenly zombies, zombies everywhere
>fight a few off with chairs and bottles and shit
>barricade the door
>one player is hurt bad, several npcs dead
>hooded newguy "I keep drinking my ale"
>for fuck sake
>the blacksmith newguy "I've got weapons at my shop, if we can get there we'll have a fighting chance"
>this might not be so bad
>we bust out and fight through the streets
>desperate fight through the streets
>hooded newguy doesn't help at all
>"the personality I rolled for my character is he only cares about himself"
>make it too the shop, which is now on fire
>ohfuckohfuckohfuck
>blacksmith newguy is horribly burned grabbing some weapons from the shop
>one player badly mauled, one horrible burned, one dead, just me and the hooded newguy are uninjured
>huge stitched together centaur horror thing comes running down the street
>try to fight it off but it's tough as balls and we're rolling poorly
>hooded newguy ducks down an alley "for better positioning"
>newguy blacksmith is dead
>Me to hooded newguy "For fuck sake will you help?"
>Hooded newguy to me "I told you he doesn't care about anyone else, but sinces he's an academic of etiquette and manners he could not refuse a proper request for aid"
cont.
>>
>>46383989
>"Will you PLEASE help?"
>he draws a black powder pistol and lights up the centaur horror monster
>for fuck sake
>town is in ruins fire is spreading lots of people are dead or dying
>dead players roll up new characters
>one is town sheriff so he's actually armed
>we head off towards an old abandoned keep out of town that we suspect the zombies are coming from
>hooded newguy "Nah, I've done enough. I head the opposite direction"
>pull out my phone under the table call an uber
>we we make it to the keep, there's cultists and shit
>"I circle back into town and see what I can loot"
>cult leader is behind the attacks
>more bad rolling, we're fucking dying
>"are there any girls that's husbands died and need 'comforting'?"
>phone dings, car is here
>stand up
>"I'm out of here guys, let me know when this asshole isn't invited"
>out the door
>into the car
>off to the bar to forget my troubles

Haven't been back since apparently the party is so split that he's literally miles away from the main party and they are straight up just trying to ignore him but he keeps showing up and trying to get the spotlight on his guy. Fuck I want game but I cannot stand that guy.
>>
>>46373535
Jesus, is that real?
>>
>>46375243
That was so goddamn well written that I don't give a shit about whats written. Also loved the part about "That Hobbie".
5 star post, even if it's just one side of the equation.
>>
>>46384013
You did the right thing.
Told them what the problem was, and left before it could turn out into a fistfight.
>>
File: ButWhy.jpg (38 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
ButWhy.jpg
38 KB, 500x418
>>46372236
>Running a homebrew game with some old buddies.
>Party is as follows.
>LE merc leader warlock. Player used to be our Railgun ranger, but he got pasted a few games ago.
>CN Minotaur barbarian (That Guy).
>LG Aasimar paladin
>NG human bard
>NG Orc wizard
>CN undead tinker/alchemist (myself)
>Campaign is pretty much camp incarnate, held to ground by some actually serious story telling from our DM and formerly Lawful Stupid paladin.
>Archamge sends us off into the mountains to find a contact who might have some help for us.
>We're moseying through the mountains and wander into a confrontation between a group of orcs and dwarves.
>First instinct is to help the dwarves, but the Paladin makes an observation about our contact's name. It's highly generic. Unless we know his surname he could actually be a member of either party.
>Take a round to observe. Orcs are fighting to knock out, dwarves are fighting to kill. Dwarves are losing so we sit it out.
>Halfway through combat the minotaur just kind of wanders across the clearing.
>Orcs look at him weird, but he doesn't move to engage them so they let him pass.
>Orcs eventually knock out all the dwarves.
>Paladin walks into clearing. "We're looking for NPC."
>Orcs agree to take us to NPC, on the condition we lay down our arms.
>Most of the party is YehWhatev.jpg
>I'm a cheeky fuck and literally pop off an arm and lay it on the ground. Orc lead gives me a funny look before I pop it back on and actually start dumping all my stuff.
>I'm basically that short guy from the animated Sinbad movie, but with more explosives and potions plus some random clockwork bits.
>One orc gets all my stuff. Obv. heavy as fuck but he lifts.
>Not totally happy with this. My character is all equipment based so I'm pretty much just a skeleton in a fancy coat and goggles right now. Luckily if shit goes down I can replace most of it.
>Keyword: Most.

cont.
>>
File: BetterNot.jpg (247 KB, 1224x1445) Image search: [Google]
BetterNot.jpg
247 KB, 1224x1445
>>46384309
>begin heading across clearing.
>Minotaur has been out of earshot this whole time. Assumes we are being taken captive (for some reason).
>Hides behind small outcropping
>Waits until the orcs are right on top of him.
>Swings.
>At the one orc carrying all my stuff.
>DM speaks up. "Guy. That orc is carrying all of Anon's equipment. Including his Biggest Gun... are you sure you want to hit him?"
>yes
>"Guy, that's one of Anon's ultimate abilities being carried by that orc and it's on the side facing you. Are you SURE?"
>yes
>this goes on for about five minutes. No one wants Guy to follow through with this.
>Guy eventually swings.
>Hits like a truck, but orc is wearing ALL OF MY STUFF, which takes the hit for him.
>"Guy, you have destroyed Anon's Biggest Gun, which he can't replace."
>My character is fuming. He's a complete technophile and Guy has just destroyed what's likely the most technologically advanced item in the world.
>Immediately use my racial ability, try to possess Guy.
>Don't really like using the ability, as it's normally OOC or suboptimal, but Guy's crossed the line.
>I have to succeed three consecutive Oppose Int checks. Guy's int is ~6, mine is 20. Win easily.
>Walk him off a cliff.

His character was basically immune to falling damage, so it was more just an elaborate way to tell him he could go fuck himself, but it felt good.

Thankfully the DM set up an impromptu system that'll allow me to repair my weapon later assuming I can pass some high checks, but Jesus I was pissed at the end of that session.
>>
>>46379696
How many players do you have? I've found that my experiences have without exception been better with smaller groups.
>>
>>46382909
Why is wanting to play a dragonborn shit?
>>
Do these have to be DnD related?

>At a gaming shop playing board games with a friend
>Fucking Yu-Gi-Oh tournament going on around us,
>Most players in the tournament are black 18-22 year old guys, with a handful of 8-14 year old awkward kids
>Game right behind us suddenly get real
>Black guy stands up and shouts "YOU JUST ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD NIGGA" to a kid who had to be no older than 13
>Friend and I take our games to the back room
>>
>join game in progress with new people
>game is 50/50 courtly intrigue and dungeon crawl
>make murderhobo dorf fighter so I can at least help with combat
>I have no idea on the full backlog of the politics this far in the game, and my character hasn't been written in as being part of it
>spend the dialog heavy portions of the game with my PC getting himself and half the town drunk
>pass notes to the DM describing the level of rowdy party in looking for, loot spent on bar tab, etc
>try to always leave character at some comedic relief disadvantage, such as losing a good item from his gear, or entering into some absurd social contract
>everyone chuckles and resumes intrigue until it's time to go sober up the dorf so he can go hit something
>worried I'm being that guy by distracting the group from the politics of the main plot, even though my no INT no CHA beardling would be completely useless in it
>>
>>46384667
That's awesome
>>
>>46372236

>Running a game of GURPS: Tactical Operators, Operating Tactically.
>First mission had the group use explosives to blow out a wall and get the drop on some terrorists.
>Good first session everybody had a blast
>Let the group plan out their missions from session 2 on.
>Most of the group want's to do things a quietly as possible because of hostages, the element of surprise etc.
>That Guy want's to solve every problem with blowing up walls
>Blueprints out of date and the entry point is now sealed off? Blow the walls
>Hostages? Blow the walls.
>Terrorists with a bomb? Blow the walls.
>Hostages in an ART MUSEUM? Screw the delicate exhibits blow the walls.
>Starts as a funny quirk
>Becomes grating
>Goes from complaining about how they never do it his way to a screaming match that almost got us thrown out of FLGS
>I will tame this dragon

Cont.
>>
>>46384013
What the fuck, why would the GM allow that shit? That's some busta ass shit.
>>
>>46384369

>DM fiats that the swing hits the worst possible place in the worst possible way, instead of leaving it up to the dice.

That is a really shitty way to do things and I take a lot less umbrage with the minotaur's player (whose assumption that you were captured is questionable but not entirely without reasoning, given you were marching behind orcs who were carrying all your shit) than I do with the DM (who could've at the least given the minotaur player a chance for a clean hit with a roll penalty).
>>
>>46384789
Same tournament, earlier in the day

>Old dude (mid 40's) playing kid who looks about 12
>Old dude apparently proceeds to beat the ever loving shit out of this kids
>Apparently tables the poor kid
>Kid asks guys what he could have done different to have won, or do better in future games
>Guy proceeds to tell kid a list of card he needs and that his deck is one of the best currently in the game
>Guy is oblivious to the fact that he has indispensable income for his shitty card game while this kid is probably lucky if his mom gives him enough money to buy a few packs at a time.
>Shit is painful as fuck to watch, as this guy continues to brag about his amazing deck to this kid.
>>
>>46384878
That's not awesome
>>
>>46384869
DM actually rolled to see what exactly was facing the minotaur and also had the orc make an AGI check to see if he could swing my stuff to take the hit (because it was the closest thing he had to a shield). I should've made that clearer.

What bugs me so much is that we sat there for five minutes explaining exactly why this was a bad idea and all he could come back with was "Well it's what my character would do." All he had to do was not swing at the orc, but apparently he couldn't contain himself.
>>
>>46384667
>that guy that played 3of royal decrees in every deck
I'll admit, I was that guy.

Also, on a sidenote on yugioh. I just want to state that I think dragon's mirror is one of the most underrated cards in the game, even in its early form before future fusion shenanigans, when you could have 3of foolish burials and send 3 dragons to the graveyard and let your opponent keep killing masked dragons all day and you had an easy 5 headed dragon. Then future fusion became a thing, then red eyes became a thing, and all of a sudden dragon decks now have 2 2800 beaters, 2 3000 beaters, and a 5000 beater by turn 2 and royal decree
>>
>>46384801
>Give them a mission where blowing a wall is the best choice
>In fact it's the big scene of the mission
>Contact rest of group and tell them to let him blow the wall
>"Aces can do!"
>In session when one PC fails to get a keypad locked door open on the first try
>That Guy yells "Just blow it up!"
>He's outside in the van right now waiting for his go signal doesn't even know what's going on.
>Other player ignores him and says he want's another try at the key pad
>"Stop fucking around and just blow the fucking door up!"
>I can see the argument starting, I will loose another session because of That Guy's shit.
>I snap a little. "You hear a knock on the van door"
>Group looks at me puzzled
>That Guy opens back door
>It's Jesus Christ "Jesus says you're acting like a prick and that you need to be less selfish at the table"
>"Says your GM put together a whole mission just so you could have a fun time blowing your way into a room and you're acting like an ass right now."
>Christ jumps into a red convertible and speeds off.
>Stunned silence.
>I call for a short break.
>Come back and we finish the mission as planned but everybody is a little quiet
>That Guy tells me he needs to take a break from the game and take care of some stuff.
>Rest of the group keeps playing.
>>
File: well_theres_your_problem-56537.jpg (73 KB, 550x333) Image search: [Google]
well_theres_your_problem-56537.jpg
73 KB, 550x333
>>46373535
>playing online
>>
>>46384789
Some black guys that are still into yugioh are pretty bro, but most of them, I imagine, are those weird guys that wear headphones around their necks, naruto headbands and tie bandannas on their wrists.
>>
>>46385081
Wait, Woolie plays yugioh?
>>
>>46375243

I can agree with this. I'm primarily a DM, and I've grown weary of dealing with shitty players that it's slow strangled my love of things. I'm surrounded by rpg books that once held such potential, but now only remind me of how autistic the community is capable of being and how much I hate the dregs I always deal with.

Regarding the folks saying otherwise, well, I've got a friend I've personally seen sit in silence for 6 hours in a game ran with 8 players, one of which loved to hear himself talk. I told him the game was shit and the DM was shit, he thought it was great.

I'm other words, im happy you guys are happy, but I'm with anon on this.
>>
>>46385081
What's wrong with headphones around the neck?
>>
>>46385109
There's an entire secret society of black geeks, anon. They mostly congregate around Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh and Street Fighter, though. You see a lot of them online, but I've never encountered one in the wild.
>>
>>46385278
>>46385081
Holy shit, I thought I was the only one who noticed this.
Yeah, I've known three or four guys fitting this exact description.
>>
>>46385278
I see a lot of overlap with Pokemon and Smash
>>
>Hey DM, what should I take for my Favoured Terrain?
>Oh, anything in the general area would help, you'll be switching terrain pretty fairly
>Ah Okay

>Choose Urban
>Next session we leave the city we've been questing in
>"Oh okay, well we'll likely be back soon"
>In Cold Terrain now
>This continues for 5 weeks
>Its been 15 sessions since I've seen urban terrain

Why has she forsaken my poor city slicker?
>>
I have to say, I would love to get in any of the games being talked about here. Autists give me some giddy excitement that borders on ASMR. I had one attempt to join my game, and I was in heaven every time he pulled his hilarious antics, though I kicked him rather quickly since I liked the others. I wish I could find more.
>>
>>46385109
I actually think he does.

>>46385207
Nothing by itself, but adding all those things together groups you into that category of weird punk kids who bang the same girls. I myself wouldn't add headphones to my daily look
>>
File: 1458759123869.jpg (141 KB, 715x590) Image search: [Google]
1458759123869.jpg
141 KB, 715x590
I've got a good one boys, buckle up.
>Be me
>been with a group thats a mix of 2 half drunk scotts, a crazy englishman and a shithead from new jersey (That Guy of this story)
>We've been switching between 40k RPGs over the few years current game is RT.
>Party consists of 2 Arch Mils (me and one Scott) a Psyker (That Guy) and our Pilot (crazy british guy)
>Whole colony embroiled in civil war with cultusts, previously glassed hivs city has hardcore problem with the fact that the veil between reality and warp is thin thus daemons and cultists MUST be coming from their.
>2 Arch mils go investigate innaTaurox, hear the word our psyker has gone missing
FuckMe.jpg
>Investigate the city, weird shit keeps happening, statues bleeding, walls bending crazy shit.
> out pops our psyker from thin air
Lolwut.png
>"D-don't freak o-out guys, I brought a friend who saved my life. Meet Doggo"
>Out comes a sentient daemon dog thats glowing an obvious red.
DUDEWHATTHEFUCK.gif
>OOC that guy goes nuts "If you guys kill my pet ill destroy this game rattah rattah bitch and moan"
>Me and scott are incredibly conflicted between keeping IC and the loyalist we are and fist fuck both of them with bolt shells and power fists or break character to not be dicks about this.
>I argue OOC with the DM and other Scott Arch Mil that this pits us in a hard place, DM lets it happen so we let it slide.
THEN HE STARTED KILLING OUR TROOPS
>"stop overreacting anon they tried to shoot me" as hes walking around with a talking, pulsing bright red psychic dog daemon.
What should I do /tg/? Should I glass the fag and his daemon? They're obviously up to no good and its not the first time he's fucked us, but I feel like a hypocrite because I've That guy'd also due to character circumstances (touched the wrong thing, went insane and rolled on mutations. Got daemonized and stole a starship that got blown up, story for another time)
>>
>>46373535
Wait, in character some "dude I just met" said "I am going to murder your queen, ruler of your country reason for you being here right now and probably the same person you use for curse words" and you didn't kill him or at least get 6-7 guys to help you do it? God save the queen what is wrong with you?
>>
>>46385871
Image source? Google gives me nothing
>>
File: A'ok.png (137 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
A'ok.png
137 KB, 640x360
>>46385871
Are you a good imperial, emperor fearing citizen? Then you know the fucking answer.
>>
>>46382023
I feel like I'm missing something here. Why is Sticks to Snakes so bad? I get that it's a low magic world, so being a wizard is asking alot, but is that spell particularly bad for some reason?
>>
>>46386204
Its from a manga called berserk, mid-later chapters when a bunch of crazy worshipers doin their thing.
>>
File: received_914126608624453.gif (1 MB, 500x206) Image search: [Google]
received_914126608624453.gif
1 MB, 500x206
>>46386228
Time to do the God Emperors work anon.
>>
>>46377831

This reads like pasta but I haven't seen it before.
>>
>>46382780
The min maxing and gimme-gimme is shit, but all that aside, that's sweet as fuck and I'm borrowing it for an npc bandit captain.
>>
>>46384614
that guy detected
>>
>habitually lies in and out of character
>believes he is an expert on all subjects
>ex meth addict
>argues each round on what he should be allowed to do, even when system/character does not support it
>consumes 4-5 jars of olives a game
>out of combat refuses to take part of character conversation unless it involves loot/shopping
>lives by internet builds

Fuck this guy is annoying. He is the best friend of the guy whose house we use to play. Talked to him and the group about trying to hammer out the game problems but he ignores it and they wont try and enforce any of it, unless I just start being an asshole about it.

Last game, he came in talking about how a man who just died donated all of his collection of native american artifacts to the local college. I mentioned the man, my boss, was not dead as I had just left work for the game and was talking to him. Player argued the man had been dead for 6 months and they just now got around to putting them on display.

In the game, he tried to argue his level 4 character had 4 attacks in a round then wanted to argue that if he used two of these, he should be able to set a trigger/delay with the others. 10 minutes of arguing then he tried to change it so he could get a free move action instead. Shit makes running in any system we have already played a nightmare. New systems get him to stop this for about 3 sessions.
>>
>>46386500
You know what you have to do.
Change systems every 3rd session
>>
>>46384089
Not that poster, but it's probably from lazytown-usa's tumblr.
>>
>>46384089
Fuck, meant liartown usa.
>>
>>46386558
YARHARFIDDLEDEEDEE
>>
>>46386500
>consumes 4-5 jars of olives a game
That sounds disgusting.
>>
File: 1410471230348.jpg (26 KB, 369x368) Image search: [Google]
1410471230348.jpg
26 KB, 369x368
>>46375483
>having a good gaming group is as easy as having friends you actually get along with in real life.
>>
>>46375483

Pfffffffffhahahahahahahaha!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>
>>46385871

Don't be a faggot anon, terminate that guy.
>>
File: 1433263987460.jpg (65 KB, 601x450) Image search: [Google]
1433263987460.jpg
65 KB, 601x450
>>46372236
>Be in a group full of Those Guys
>Paladin
>Apparently multiclassed into a wizard as he is seemingly omnipresent
>Anyone talking to someone? "I walked into the area when they started to talk and..."
>Anyone trying to do some solo class-based shit? Like a rogue trying to unlock a gate? "I see him doing this and seeing that this is unlawful I..."
>Anyone trying to reasonably not take on a creature that is likely 5 over your current CR level? "Since my god is the god of courage, I refuse to heal them after this display because..."
>Rogue
>Never helps in a fight, is always just stealthing around making checks to find treasure before he has to split it with the rest of us whilst we die
>Always gets us into trouble in any town we go into as we are always guilty by association when he, once again, got caught trying to steal from Merchant #183
>Steals from teammates constantly but because he's "playing into his character" we're expected to not kill his ass
>Bard
>That-Fucking-Guy Bard
>What do you mean I can't get the entire towns worth of women on muh dick? That was a 20 performance.
>What do you mean the judge won't let me sleep with his wife? It was a 20 persuasion.
>What do you mean the executioner didn't kill himself because I told him he was me? That was a 20 deception.
>Wizard
>Would be the only tolerable guy there
>BUT
>Muh 20 INT makes myself to far above the rabble to give two shits about anything that is ever happening. Ever.
>I'll just read books while we are in town.
>And out of town
>And in dungeons

I am now the silent, world-weary fighter. Wondering when the end will finally come and save myself from the invisible cage that the DM refuses to let me leave.
>>
>>46385278
Their leader: Marcellus Black: Shogun of the ROW!
>>
>>46386889
>What do you mean the executioner didn't kill himself because I told him he was me? That was a 20 deception.
my god this is hilarious
>>
>try and gather a group of nerds to play with at college
>they all flake almost immediately
>have never been able to roleplay since
>have never done tabletop rp to this day

It fucking sucks.
>>
>>46386889
Awful. I've only had the rogue problem before and only one THAT guy a game. What a crapper you've landed yourself into.
>>
>>46372236
>start up a rifts campaign with a couple of friends
>decide that we'll run it at friend's house
>friend goes for rogue scholar, we have a cyber-knight, mage
>thought it would be a good fit for a newbie
>he writes up a pretty good backstory and has some pretty good stats
>his scholar's thing is that he likes books
>he's a book guy
>whenever they're in combat he sits back and does nothing in game and real life
>He just takes pictures of everyone and tries to get us off topic
>every waking moment out of combat he is looking for books
>expects me to know everything about every book he finds
>Ex. "you find 5 books"
>"what do they look like?"
>"they're kinda beat up, they've seen better days?"
>"I'm gonna read the top one, how many pages is it?"
>he does this with every book
>they go to a market and he goes to every merchant looking for books
>every merchant
>Have to RP every merchant, if they do have a book I have to know everything about it
>Can't kick out because other than that he's a pretty nice guy, just can't roleplay for shit
>>
>>46386889
>can't kill rogue because he's playing his character

What? And you're not allowed to play yours? The guy who cuts off the hand of anyone stealing his shit?
>>
>>46379696
You let your players decide whether they should roll initiative or not? I wish my DM did that. I'd like to settle more encounters in non-violent ways, but once initiative is rolled I'm too scared about wasting my turn and dying.
>>
>>46387063
>"He's only stealing from you, there isn't a reason to really kill him."
>"YOUR character wouldn't do that."
>"I mean, yeah, he's stealing from you, but I can't just let you attack each other over that stuff."

The second one was my favorite.
>>
>>46387134
Fuck that noise. I'd insist on attacking him anyway and roll the dice. At most I'd tell the GM I'm not going to kill him, I'm going to hurt him.
>>
>>46387134
>>46387261
He's got it right, by the time you finish your sentence your initiative has already been rolled
>>
>>46384013

>pull out my phone under the table call an uber

What even what? How does that even work? Crouching under the table seems more likely to draw attention than anything else and if you just dialed under the table then made the call normally the whole "under the table" part doesn't accomplish much.
>>
>>46387500
You don't actually need to make a call.
>>
>>46384708
it sounds more like you are actually role-playing your character.
>>
File: lol.png (5 KB, 113x89) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
5 KB, 113x89
>>46385066
>>It's Jesus Christ "Jesus says you're acting like a prick and that you need to be less selfish at the table"
>>"Says your GM put together a whole mission just so you could have a fun time blowing your way into a room and you're acting like an ass right now."
>>Christ jumps into a red convertible and speeds off.
10/10
>>
>>46385066
God damn.
>>
>>46372236
I have a bit of a that girl.
>session one involves us all waking up in a place without remembering how we got there
>occasional random spooky shit, people turning into corpses and horrors
>upshot of it, we were all on a witch hunt, and the witch turned out to be WAY above our pay grade and was toying with us all in her massively powerful illusion world
>eventually the witch is done playing with us, we make it out
>we've all seen some shit
>particularly the rogue girl with the low will save
>she decides that her character has PTSD

That's cool and all. Seems like a good bit of role playing, no biggy

>session 2
>she plays the character as coping poorly
>wakes up screaming and attacking people with vivid nightmares
>won't go into combat with us as the group tries to deal with our situation
>the witch cut us loose but thinks we're good sport, and will eventually be back, so we all are desperately seeking resources and a solution
>not her though, she takes a scribe job in town
>tries to fuck EVERYTHING
>hits on every male NPC of note, literally derails for 15-30 min at a time with her attempted romantic exploits
>doesn't trust the party at all, fucks with us in her paranoia, including light theft and locking us out of our rooms

She's not a terrible role player, but she also doesn't have a firm understanding that DnD is a team effort. Fortunately, the GM has been reining her in, not indulging her side craziness much more than necessary.
>>
My That Guy is also the only good DM we have. It's amazing how well he can run a campaign while simultaneously fucking up the game just as much.

>Set up a great plot and has everyone involved for once
>we've been playing weekly for half a year, all of us love the world + our characters
>one of us DMs a side story in his world to give him a break
>he makes an evil dragonborn who wants to become a dragon
>very mary sue but he'll probably just die or something so whatever
>side thing ends
>he ends up letting his own character destroy most of the world we were adventuring in, with no chance for our characters to stop it
>this isnt stuff that happened under another person DMing, just in between adventure stuff
>almost every city is burned to the ground by this level 8 dragonborn
>doesnt even set the dragonborn as the new BBEG, just has his memories wiped and alignment changed
>game falls apart
>>
>>46374190
Having a shitty character build in terms of metagaming is nothing close to what "That Guy" is all about.
That Guy ruins fun. Unless the rest of the group are powergamers and your non-effective fighter gimps the party's maximum efficiency, being shit at dealing damage shouldn't detract from any of the fun.
>>
>>46374940
>I'm more stubborn than even the bitchiest That Guys.
You don't need to be stubborn.
You only need two steps
1)Just say no.
2)Boot from the group.
You may repeat step 1 a couple times, but if it don't work, go to 2.

That goes for any kind of asshole behaviour, including system abuse.
>>
>>46372236
am i a that guy?
>play tn bard
>do not make attacks in combat
>spend my time abusing prestidigitation and mage hand and fucking with the enemies, general dickbag stuff
>always try to fuck with npcs
>through a series of events got a townswoman executed and her 10 year old son is on his own
>sidetrack the fuck out of everyone
>>
>>46387954
also im usually quietly playing guitar in real life while other people are doing their things
>>
File: THED.png (124 KB, 280x390) Image search: [Google]
THED.png
124 KB, 280x390
>>46387812
>tries to fuck EVERYTHING
>hits on every male NPC of note
>doesn't trust the party at all

Kill two birds with one stone. You know what you must do.
>>
>there's an event on campus that has one shot roleplays being hosted
>figure this is my chance to get into an rpg group and roleplay often
>never done a tabletop roleplay of any kind

How do I not be That Guy?
>>
>>46387954
>>46387974

Someone probably considers you That Guy, yes.
>>
>>46387974
This isn't that guy behavior

>>46387974
THIS IS
CUT IT OUT
>>
>>46387954
>>46387974
Yes. You sounds like a pretty shitty player
>>
>>46372236

TLDR: That Girl is a bitch, but hard to boot because group loves her boyfriend.

>Player in my group is a real Debbie Downer.
>Says passive-aggressive shit ALL the time.
>Can't not create a loner. Ever.
>Bitches constantly that no one will listen to her.
>All she does is complain about the party and the choices that they make.
>Everyone just kind of tolerates her because she started dating a real bro who also plays in many of the same games.

Anyway, the lastest storytime!

>5th Ed D&D Game
>Several Sessions in, Started at Level 1, party level 3 at this point, almost 4.
>BBEG steps through a portal, 2/6 members of the party are unconscious and the party KNOWS for a fact that the portal will be open for 24 more hours.
>Party decides to wait for the unconscious Cleric and Paladin to be at full and rest up for full spell slots.
>That Girl decides she will just jump through the portal, AFTER everyone decides to rest.
>The party can't risk going after her right away.
>She bitches out of character "Why is no one following me?"
>Fawk...well....BBEG sees her and offers her a chance to save a village by convincing them to hand over McGuffin piece #2 to him, and he won't just waltz in and lay waste to the commoners.
>"I attack him."
>...
>Not sure how to salvage this without making the villain look like a pussy.
>She fights him, loses, cries about it/
>Gets up and rips her character sheet and throws it away.
>dramatically leaves.
>bitches that I am a Bad GM for not giving her any options.
>Tell her SHE chose to go through the portal and then SHE chose fight the Guy that laid the Paladin and Cleric flat.
>Bitches that I was railroading her, ONLY giving her the options to enter the portal and fight the villain.
>She says how much she hates the game and me as a GM.
>Tell her she doesn't have to come back.
>Next day, her Gamerbro boyfriend talks to me about it and the group agrees that she can come back.

(There is more after this...should I go on?)
>>
>>46388001

Of course anon, do continue
>>
>>46387995
>>46387993
>>46387983
damn, i knew it
>>
>>46388001
Yes. Keep going.

Also the solution here is to find Gamebro a new girlfriend. It's what my sister tried to do whenever my ex pissed her off.
>>
>>46373535
You should start a new group with that other player who left.

Then murder That Guy.
>>
>>46388001
(cont'd)
>Everyone in the group agrees that she can come back, as a favor to Gamerbro.
>She comes back with a new "more party friendly" character.
>Some kind of pacifist druid half-drow (SCAG) who hates the drow, men and will only speak in broken languages or Undercommon.
>A few sessions go by with no major input from her other than she is bored because no one is trying to approach her.
>Anytime a PC or NPC tries to talk to her, she won't engage. She won't take to conversation if they are male. If they are female, she pretends not to understand Common or Elvish. If they speak Undercommon (her go-to), then she insults them and starts speaking broken Common instead.
>They manage to track down BBEG from before to a large secluded Dwarvish Settlement.
>The party picks up real quickly that magic is kind of mistrusted here and that they should be careful since there are magic users in group.
>Group notices that the tech level in the city is a tiny bit more advanced than what they are used to.
>Setting a scene later, I describe snow falling and the wind picking up. They spy an Inn, they suggest going there.
>That Girl casts the Produce Flame cantrip in the city streets.
>Witnesses grumble, disperse.
>She goes to a building where they are treating the wounded for whatever reason.
>Starts magically healing people.
>The group gets told by guards that it is a crime to use magic in the settlement for what can be done without magic, and that they are impeding technology.
>Group generally apologetic, I decide this may be a good opportunity to bring her into the game to show her that we "want" her there...
>Magic sympathisers seeking to overthrow the current ruler and his anti-magic laws find out that she was the girl who can make fire from nothing and seek her out.
>Long roleplay inviting her to basically Mockingjay for them.
>She pretends not to understand them, insults them, and leaves without telling the party jack shit about what happened.
(Shall I go on?)
>>
>>46375243
yeah nah fuck you man.
I'm getting into GMing and I WILL have myself a great game by my own idiot-slapping hand and thatguy-kicking boot.
>>
>>46388204
>(Shall I go on?)

Yes tell us everything you have to tell.
>>
>>46388204
I just don't understand how someone can blatantly refuse to roleplay, and then complain that they don't get to roleplay? It just fuckin baffles me
please continue
>>
>>46388043
He HAD an awesome cutie pie girlfriend that everyone liked but he dumped her because he wasn't sexually attracted to her.
That Girl is not what I'd call attractive by a longshot. To be fair, my girlfriend is definitely the hottie in the group, but I wouldn't touch That Girl after any level of alcohol. Most people question why they are together at all...but apparently IT makes Gamerbro happy.
Strangely enough she's actually fucked someone else in our gaming circle....someone that is generally agreed upon as being attractive. He admits to copious amount of alcohol but....damn...damn....
>>
>>46388247
>>46388254
I'll continue, I have to write this up though so it'll be a few mins.
>>
>>46375243
fag
>>
I play a lot of x wing and there is a usual That Guy I encounter

>'I only play for fun anon' 'anon stop building lists to win just enjoy the game'
>make a retarded 3 Punisher list because I love Redline
>Completely crush his netlist
>'stop being so competitive'
>basically wants me to build shit lists so he can win
>says he plays 'for fun and doesn't care about winning'
>will 'call you out' for using actually thought out builds
>will literally stand up and leave the table if players take out their Dash Rendar card
>'I just don't have fun playing against him'
>Read: I'm a salty fuck and it doesn't matter if you like your list, only if I like it

Fucking hell I hate That Guy.
>>
>>46388327
>'I only play for fun anon' 'anon stop building lists to win just enjoy the game'

Why does this seem to be a common theme with wargames? Why the aversion for optimal builds in the communities of these games?
>>
>>46388204
Ok, you are pretty up to date on that game, next session for that is on Wednesday. I'll have to go back in time a bit now.
Before she was dating Gamerbro
>Cool GM from another store comes to my game, brings That Girl along.
>Everyone likes Cool GM, she's been dying to get into one of my games and as luck would have it, two of my players moved away the previous month.
>Cool GM and That Girl start playing in the game, That Girl seems new, but I could tell that Cool GM may have been trying to avoid her.
>Everything going ok for a few sessions.
>That Girl won't talk to anyone and is very condescending when she does.
>I thought she was making a character choice at the time. An unlikeable Tiefling Monk...yeah, I can see that.
>Cool GMs Husband gets a promotion and they have to leave town also.
>Stuck with That Girl and no real reason to kick her out yet.
>Party is running through Lost Mines of Phandelver.
>Monk claims Glass Staff, no arguments.
>Ranger (somebro) dies in the fight with Glass Staff. She takes his Ring of Protection, the only other Magic Item in the party.
>OOC, the group tells her that they usually split treasure evenly and try to balance Magic Item distribution.
>"No, you don't know that I have it."
>Does this with EVERY magic item that the group comes across, even the ones she can't use.
>Gets VERY passive aggressive when someone casts Detect Magic and suggests that she shares some of it.
>"Whatever." with arms crossed for the rest of the session.
>Starts trying to fight other characters after they come up with a more equitable split for the magic items, especially since Wave Echo Cave coming up soon.
>She scoops up the magic items and runs away at full speed.
>Mechanically outpaces the party.
>Gets mad when I won't run her solo adventure
>Group breaks up, won't play with her.
>Luckily I recruit most of them into my other groups.
There's more but I'm not sure how much more "Fuck this Bitch" I can convey tonight. It's like she hates gaming
>>
>>46388254
It drives me insane too.
Also the people that want to be loners in a party based game.
>>
>>46388395
Yup, and one of the first things I said during character gen (and usually say) was "DO NOT CREATE A LONER!"
I'm also pretty sure I threw in a "Give your character a reason to want to work with the party, These are choices that YOU are making when building a character. That way no one can be like....I steal from Paladin, it's what my character would do!. No! That shit don't fly. I get that it's what your character would do but YOU are making the choice to create a character that would do that. Those are not the kinds of characters we are looking for in this group."
>>
>>46387500
bruh its basically a 5 second text/tapping based process. No vocals required.
>>
>>46388391
>>46388423
And you greenlighted that half-drow? I get you brought her back as a favor but holy crap. I have to wonder what kind of table breeds this sort of player. What was her first game and GM like? What experience was so fun, rewarding, and enjoyable that from that day forward she decided

>Yes, I like to play abrasive asshats and that is what I insist on playing now
>>
>>46387979
I am running a female character, and she doesn't openly swing that way.

Unless you meant OOC?

I did. It went less than optimally. She's a teeny bit temperamental.
>>
>>46388490
I meant IC. Get one of the male party members to apply D therapy.
>>
>>46388350
If he actually didn't care about winning, didn't cry like a child when he lost, then it wouldn't even be annoying.

You can have some great fun when you just build fun lists, but you can't 'play for fun' while also expecting to be able to "break the meta with random combos" - that's a thing he actually fucking said...
>>
>>46388464
Yeah, Gamerbro convinced me That Girl was gonna be a "freedom from drow and fuck the drow" kind of character.
Half Drow aren't that awesome, desu. Mechanically, I like the standard Half Elf MUCH better, but I told the players that anything from SCAG that didn't have wings was ok with me.
Also, it may just be time for a talk with her and tell her that she is not playing the character that she presented to me during concept. I just really fucking hate talking to her. I need a chesty red head (Gamerbro's USUAL type) that games to miraculously drop out of the sky and pull him away from That Girl. Otherwise, I'm not sure how much longer I can go without booting her. It's just kinda hard to deny a favor to someone that's been such a good friend to you for years. I honestly believe that he thinks she has potential.
>>
>>46388505
He speaks the truth, I applied D therapy to a drow witch NPC because she went full PTSD after we saved her ass. A good party at the tavern and a few nat 20 performance checks later and my party now has a lvl 7 witch at our side should we ever need her
>>
>>46388525
Ha ha, I forgot about the desu filter!
>>
>>46388391
and everyone just let this happen? She must be beautiful. Or else why bother?
>>
I have a story of That Guy becoming That DM. Think I've posted it before, but it's worth typing out again.
>Game start, plot hooks yet to be engaged, just making our way through a city for now.
>My character is good aligned drow rogue
>Rogue as in sneaky backstabber, not thief
>DM gives everyone character flaws, decides my flaw is I'm a kleptomaniac
>Try to explain that I'm not a thief, he doesn't care
>Forces me to randomly steal from people
>Encounter a baby dragon in the city
>Just a baby dragon, just like, hanging around and stuff
>Also said baby dragon is an all powerful psychic, steals my stuff with his psychic powers
>I try to get my shit back, he psychicly drops my pants around my ankles
>Am pissed off with this character and the DM at this point, throw a fucking dagger at him (the dragon, not the DM)
>Uses psychic powers to teleport the dagger out of mid air back into it's sheath
>Then he just lets us walk away
>Later on in the plot, we encounter some sort of DRAGON tomb and become DRAGON warriors and get these awesome sets of DRAGON armor which gives uus a shit tonne of unbalanced homebrew DRAGON powers.
>He has a fetish for dragons btw
>Our party at the time is two rouges and one mage
>Decides he wants us to fill the holy MMO trinity and makes me fill the warrior type
>All the special DRAGONtm abilities he gives me are related to straight up combat, one of them is summoning a magic rapier at will
>Forces me to take rapier proficiency even though my character is built around using daggers
>Read again, he doesn't GIVE me rapier proficiency he makes me spend a feat on it
>Mean while the other rogue gets to turn invisible whenever he feels like it and the mage can now cast in his full plate equivalent DRAGON armor without spell failure
>Later on, encounter a ranger in the forest
>He has a dragon animal companion
>I die a little bit inside

I got more ,but my microwave dinner is ready, might post again later.
>>
>>46375243
Couldn't agree more.
>>
>>46386413
>Distracting flames in your face whenever you open your mouth
Yeah no, that's retarded.
>>
>>46388554
Holy Shit I feel terrible for you anon. Keep fighting the good fight, one day you will get a great game.
>>
>>46388550
Very much the opposite. Now, I've ridden a few mopeds in my time, but I could never see myself with That Girl, not even for a night. Also, that particular group was 4/6 players Female and many of my players are polite to a fault. We all just want everyone to have a good time. Well, most of us.
>>
>>46377945
>I feel bad now that I think about it
You shouldn't. You are doing the right thing.
>>
>>46388525
>chesty redhead who games

Isn't that everyone's type?
>>
>>46388574
I prefer chesty brunettes that game!
>>
>>46388490
My options are limited. 2 male PCs. One is evil and maybe plotting to murder the character in question for all the problems she winds up causing.

The other is a naive idiot played by a sweet but slightly autistic girl, who I do not think would be down. Though the idea DOES have merits. There would be some serious yuks to be had watching Janet try to romance Brenda.
>>
>>46388569
It's alright, we've moved on, I've been playing with the same group for about 5 years now and we've had plenty of great games.

Funnily enough it was that DM who bought the rest of us together.
>>
>>46388598
>The other is a naive idiot played by a sweet but slightly autistic girl, who I do not think would be down

She must. Sweet girls needs to before the evil guy kills her instead of diabolically giving the rogue the D.
>>
>>46388634
Thats good to hear my friend.
May the dice gods bless your PCs with 20s and your enemys with 1s
>>
>>46382417
I'm sure a well-made tower shield could easily block early gunpowder guns bullets.
>>
>>46387980
Don't go against the flow. If it's a serious campaign, don't play le ebin CN bear rogue named Sir Bearington
If the party is mostly rogueish types doing rogueish things, or just generally people that aren't going to follow the rule to the letter don't play Serious Sam Smite-And-Cleave
>>
>>46388593
And I prefer chesty blondes that have their own hobbies. We should fight crime together or something
>>
>>46387980
Don't hog the spotlight

If you're being railroaded go along with it

Don't make a special snowflake character with a deep elaborate backstory, for a one shot 3 sentences are more than enough

Make a character that fits with the party

Don't split the party
>>
File: 1449312515997.jpg (18 KB, 227x192) Image search: [Google]
1449312515997.jpg
18 KB, 227x192
>one of our three party members is a furry
>makes a catfolk monk with no added points in strength
>the party comes across a fox in the middle of a meadow with its leg caught in a trap
>interrupts the DM to declare that he's going to help the fox
>surprise, it's a trap, goblins pour out of the trees
>ignores the goblins, fails a roll check to disarm the trap
>other guy sprints out to defend him from the goblins, I plink them off with a bow
>monk fails a strength trap to pry the trap open
>entire fight is me volleying arrows and the other guy defending the monk as he REFUSES to fight, every turn making the same strength check to free the fox
>keeps failing it
>DM going on and on about how he aaalllmost gets it, but just isn't quite strong enough
>I'm laughing my ass off
>he gets pissy at me
>fight ends, he and I are unscathed, third guy's severely wounded
>monk keeps making the same roll and eventually frees the fox
>I'm the only one with any kind of healing capability
>monk turns to me to help the fox
>nope
>the next 2-3 sessions are filled with the guy babying the fox and taking it along with us everywhere despite mortal danger

christ
>>
>>46379996
Does he play drow inquisitors a lot?
>>
>>46380084
Sounds like you need a "no electronics at the table" rule.
>>
We have this slow ass mongo in our group thats good friends with the DM so we're not getting rid of him.

He generally doesn't make traditional "that guy" characters or anything, he just slows down the game to an insane extent.

>We're fighting a Chimaera
>Errybody doin' their rolls and all
>Its Mr.Slowpokes turn
>He looks like he just woke up, his gaze wandering between the DM and his char sheet
>Looks like he doesn't remember where he is
>After apparently reading through his whole character sheet like he saw it for the first time turns to me
>"What should I do now?"
>"How 'bout you attack the fucking big monster thats maiming our paladin?"
>"Yea, sure, do I roll or..."
>And before he attacks he wants to actually read about Chimaeras, effectively halting the game for like fifteen minutes in the middle of an intense battle
>DM just says hes out of this fight so we can move on
>Slowpoke sits there reading about Chimaeras while we fight one
>Has the fucking nerve to complain that he didn't get any loot afterwards

And this fucking guy has been playing with us for about six months, he knows how to play, he's just the most indecisive and slowest fucker to curse the earth with his existence. I hate his guts so fucking much. What do?
>>
>>46384989
To be fair, if it's what his char would have done, it what should have happened. It's unfortunate that you got your shit wrecked but that's just how role play goes. That being said, he deserved to be walked off the cliff by your spell later seeing as your character is understandably mad
>>
>DM mutants and masterminds game
>everyone has fun, useful power ideas
>That guy shows up
>Says he's gonna have Power Negation
>Not on one person at a time, but on everyone
>Tell him thats fucking stupid
>Tells people im a "No fun allowed" GM
>When he literally wanted "No fun allowed" the power

I wished more people played this system so I could find a solid group for it
>>
>>46388771
>player roleplays
>you are a faggot

its you, you are that guy
>>
>>46388771
>not just taking less than 5 seconds to heal the goddamn fox
You're That Guy, anon.
>>
>>46372236
Fuck, I had a session last weekend with "that Guy" in it.

>Playing Sunless Citadel in my group for the first time, as a full-blooded good Orc party, or GOP as we;ve jokingly come to call it
>Always done custom games before so this is a very different experience
>First two sessions are great, having a blast with our party even though we have no rogue so are basically tanking traps
>Third session rolls around, one friend is sick, another friend in our group who has a hard-on for the DM says she is free
>coowhynot.jpg
>night of the game she's in a fucking mood and a half because our DM has a new girlfriend or some such nonsense
>She plays a monk and proceeds to bitch and moan about literally every decision we make
>She also remembers she's played Sunless Citadel before, and constantly remembers and blurts out stuff as she remembers it, usually just before the DM says it.
>We generally try not to listen because we're roleplaying our characters properly
>Night goes on
>She gets shittier as DM texts his new GF
>She eventually starts complaining about how this game is taking too long, and she's too cold, and she wants to finish the game already
>Fucking fine then
>we get her to go first into the next room as we stack up in a hallway
>She opens the door and gets peppered by javelins by the goblins and hobgoblins on the other side who got a surprise round off on her
>one of the gets a crit. success
>We're playing with crit card too because fuck yeah
>"Triple damage, and you lose an eye" DM tells her
>insta ded
>The entire party sighs a quiet sigh of relief
>I rage and proceed to kill over half the encounter on my own ith my Cleric buddy basically ubering me TF2-style
>She pouts the rest of the game and we all just enjoy the peace and quiet.
>>
>>46387980
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdC_uHqXQzs
>>
>>46385278
You forgot about Tekken. The type of black you're describing also loves Tekken. And DBZ.
>>
>>46385278
>>46389137
It's uncanny how accurate this is.
>>
>>46389008
She just seemed like a crappy player but not overtly terrible. You'd be mad if you got cucked too.
>>
File: 1446793932280.gif (89 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1446793932280.gif
89 KB, 600x450
>Planning a game for a buddy, my wife, and two of buddy's coworkers
>Buddy's co-worker knows one of my friends who is sadly That Guy
>Invites him without my knowledge
>We start and make characters
>Doing a bequeathed Inn to "friends" of the deceased
>They all get equal shares
>Have to make a fifth Character to run as DM because my wife cannot stand That Guy
>Party is: I'm a Kobold Cleric, That Guy as Human Fighter, Buddy as Half Elf Cleric, Vegan coworker is Elven Ranger, and second coworker is Human Pally
>Human Fighter is of deposed nobility
>Half Elf Buddy Cleric is hunted by assassins who killed his father though he was raised by his mother
>Elven Ranger was from a village raided and burnt out by Orcs, orphaned
>Paladin is from a big city, wandering to dispense Justice
>DMPC Kobold Cleric is looking for a permanent home for their tribe
>Vegan Ranger keeps losing/forgetting sheets and dice
>That Guy insists on coup de gracing all fallen foes, while Buddy Cleric stabilizes them to recover on their own, leading to party arguments
>Last game That Guy looked up a module I was using to get inside info(thought it was funny, and told me after)
>Using that info, decided to test my handling of character knowledge, DM knowledge, and meta gaming
>Suggested that, as the only character with Darkvision, I enter a spider room
>Once ensnared, suggests that the rest of the party just leave
>Luckily I have stupidly good AC and the rest of the party was down for a fight and felt like that it would be impolitic if I did manage to survive
>We drive the Spider into negative HP
>Our Buddy Cleric heals the spider back into positive hitpoints
>Ranger wants to befriend the spider, uses wild empathy
>Impressed by this, and by their success in managing to make peace with the spider, congratulate them
>That Guy is convinced that they're going to lose out experience
>>
>>46373621
The main thing you have to look for in a group is that you can discuss your preferences, tastes and dislikes with the other players and the DM without anyone getting salty or feel attacked on a personal level.

The DM and the players should also make effort to agree on what kind of game they want to play ("We're a bunch of peaceful pilgrims in search for a lost city and we want to spend evenings around a campfire somewhere trading stories." vs "We're a bunch of battle-hardened grave robbers in search for a lost city and we want to spend evenings preparing for an ambush."), so that stuff like 'but I just wanted to play an ordinary guy in a setting full of naruto-ninjas" doesn't happen.

If you can get the group to resolve conflicts out of game, if everyone knows what everyone looks for in a game, then you'll be fine.
>>
>>46389156
Trust me, I spared half the details because otherwise the post would be three posts long.
>>
>>46387893
>Powergamers
Dude, if you have a -4 as a low level character that might even bring your to hit below 0, and that fucks up the party even if they don't optimize.

We had a dwarf once who was all about CA, feats for CA, combat expertise, tower shield, everything, and his to hit and damage was null, well, it dragged us down hard because he was supposedly the main damage dealer and the wizard (battlefield control) and the scout (skill monkey survivalist) couldn't kill shit alone, game ended in TPK.

Fuck, his CA didn't even matter because enemies just ignored him after the first turns because they couldn't hit him and he couldn't hit shit, not even with nat19s.
>>
>>46389303
But detailed stories are best stories.

Give us some more highlights and backstory here.
>>
>>46389321
haha fair enough, it is a good place to vent after all.

So some other things That Girl pulled in our session.

>Coming into a 20ft hallway filled with caltrops and goblin javeliners down the other end behinds a wall
>I instinctively ask how high the ceiling is after the last session where I got 27 total on a roll and jumped so good I smashed my head on the low roof
>"It's the same height as before, about 7ft high" says DM
>I tell her in character that we shouldn't jump over and should just use projectiles because we'll obviously just hurt ourselves like last time, and in combat no less
>"Nah I'm a ninja, I'll be fine" she says
>Proceeds to brain herself on the roof losing 4HP, falls on caltrops losing 1HP, and gets jabbed by goblins using javelins because she uses the rest of her movement to get up losing 3 more HP
>we proceed to, right after her turn, kill the 2 goblins and make her entire ordeal moot
>She proceeds to bug our cleric to use up one of his spells to heal her right after he gave her a potion of cure light wounds because she "didn't want to waste it"
>She already has three other potions of cure light wounds in her backpack
>she eventually resorts to trying to flirt with the Cleric player out of character to get healing off of him
>The rest of us spend a minute or so cleaning up the caltrops to find nothing of worth on the other side of the room anyway

god just thinking about her fuckery makes me mad.
>>
>Long time friend says he'll be DM'ing a campaign
>His other friends from work are playing, not our usual lot
>First time they'll ever tabletop but sure
>One guy can't role-play for shit, even when he says he'll "get into character" for something
>Guy also kinda takes everything personally, gets irritated for whatever the fuck reason and does shit in game because of it like burn trees and shit
>Kinda want to back down now, but I give him a chance
>First three sessions were pretty okay, no one was being too explicitly dickish
>We switch DMs, my friend becomes PC and his friend to DM
>This can't be good
>Guy kept on hogging turns, DM just giving it to him
>I don't think this is how this works but fuck it, I'll be the bigger man and let him
>In a dungeon
>Guy hogs turns a again and takes a fuck ton of actions trying to open a chest in a MAGICALLY WARDED ROOM
>"You sure? Why don't we check for tra--"
>"DUDE MY TURN JESUS LET ME FINISH"
>Strangely, gets inside room, opens chest
>Gets magically trapped inside, has to solo a fight and nearly dies doing so
>"GUYS WHAT THE FUCK WHY DID YOU JUST STAND THERE WE'RE A PARTY"
>Our ranger gets to tame a wyvern
>Guy goes and roll to tame it as well
>"No, it's already imprinted to him--"
>"BUT I ROLLED HIGHER THAN HIM"
>"Dude, that's not--"
>Kills the wyvern, says we needed more XP anyway
>DM goes "He's right, Jim."
>Few sessions later
>Party is now full murderhobo because of same guy just wanting to breeze through everything
>DM not giving consequences for murder
>Morality is literally nonexistent
>Everyone else is just letting it happen

Should I just leave? I now they're new and shit but seriously. They're just disregarding the fucking plot and just kills anything that moves to level up and whatever. They're literally the only D&D session in my area, and I really don't want to go back playing online.
>>
I'm unsure if I pulled a that guy in my last session.

To cut a long story short, I kind of ended up getting two characters I dislike immensely OOC and IC killed through interparty violence via a scheme I'd been plotting out over the course of about four sessions.

I can elaborate if need be.
>>
>>46387058
Just tell him to cool it with the books, man. He's making SOME KIND of effort.
>>
>>46375213
>searches the host's apartment for guns

What a fucking faggot. It ain't his business whether or not the host has firearms in the house

>This triggers the /k/ommando
>>
>>46377945
>dweebs trying to out snowflake each other

What >>46388571 said, you are doing a good job.
>>
>>46387812
Why are so many girls so infatuated with PTSD
its very odd
>>
>>46389771
internal character struggle + sympathy points = vagina bait
>>
>>46388989
>>46388916
Nope, you two are morons. Not him by the way.
Don't help the party in a fight, don't expect them to help you later. The trapped fox could wait. Goblins threatening your life should not be second priority in that situation.
>>
>>46388350
To be fank hyper optimized builds piss me off from Time to Time. I Play mtg and a bit ofbwh40k and i take no enjoyment from gettig stomped after 5 min of play
>>
>>46377843
That is fucking amazing. No matter what happens, let the slaves escape and figure out a way for the PC's to know. Even if the BBEG kerbstomps them, they won't feel like their efforts were in vain.
>>
File: Gregor Wilkins.png (164 KB, 600x1500) Image search: [Google]
Gregor Wilkins.png
164 KB, 600x1500
>>46385871
This sounds strikingly similar to the situation in a game I'm in. This image familiar to you?
>>
>>46375243
Show me on the doll where That Guy touched you
>>
>>46389950
He touched my dice.
>>
>>46385871

Just tell your troops to stand still when he comes around with his pet, it can't see you unless you move.
>>
>>46386981
Your humble executioner, Roger A Murebe
>>
>Playgroup consists of me and 5 other guys
>DM, is new but does it well - shows signs of beginner DM stuff but forgiveable
>Me, changed my character from an experimental DB monk which turned out to be really shit, to a Half Elf Bard. I meta-game, not so much so that it ruins combat or RP - but so that people learn how to do things effectively without wasting time. (ie not carrying a shit ton of AlcoFire because obvious death awaits.)
>Friend A, plays a Human Barbarian - insists on using his Ipad and Apps WHICH HE DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO USE, for everything.
>Friend B, Quiet guy, little odd but otherwise good hearted. Rolled a broken character and has become the center of the part and won't shut up about it.
>Friend C, Elf Warlock (played like a wizard), doesn't pay attention at all during encounters and doesn't want to play Warlock properly - generally a nuisance and makes RP difficult.
>Friend D, Human Cleric, pretty swell guy actually, plays fair and does clericy things.

I guess all of us except for the DM and D are that guys.
>>
>>46389564
Seems like you'll need to take the reins and DM a proper game to show them how to not be cunts.
>>
>>46372236
There's also no need for a Ninja class when this is exactly what a rogue/shadowmonk cross class is for.
>>
>>46375243
Ye be a wise ol' Wizard
>>
I've only had That Guy in my years of GM'ing. The minute his true colours began to show--whining at the very start of every downtime between dungeons that there wasn't constant combat. Then when I got fed up with his bitching, I threw him out of the game and my house (he explosively threw a fit over a small group of cavefishers stealing his basic sword)
>>
File: clown.png (1 MB, 2048x1648) Image search: [Google]
clown.png
1 MB, 2048x1648
Not a that guy thing but I guess a complaint I have about my group

>i'm the dm
>because I have a nice phone I can message everyone and everyone is too socially retarded to actually have each other's info on their phones
>by this amazing privilege, this makes me organizer when we can do d&d
>most people I have to deal I do d&d once a week with, so it can't be that hard to deal with, right?
>wrong, it's a nightmare
>2 of them can't schedule shit right so it ends up they have stuff to do on d&d day
>and they neglected to tell me so I'm stuck trying to message them to find out what the deal is
>but then they never respond
>or they do respond, but only once dnd should've started, and it's a really vague unthought out answer like "sorry I can't do d&d today"
>then there's the others
>who will happily pile shit on their fucking d&d day, they know it's fucking d&d day, but fuck it, they do it anyway
>then they tell me at the last minute, so we get to wait between 1-4 hours before we can fucking start because missing players sucks shit
>or they tell me then can't do d&d day, but then they try to, at the last minute, organize d&d day on another day because they have something more important
>leaves me feeling depressed and used, like a clown you keep in your closest that you deploy once a month to have fun, but jerk it around otherwise

I fucking hate this shit so fucking much, how hard is it to fucking clear one day a week goddamnit? I'm not even a neet and I can fucking do it almost ever week and I fucking know when goddamn I have something overlapping it so I can tell others "sorry guys, I'm unable to do d&d because I gotta fly out to (insert location) for job" instead of texting to one guy, 3 minutes into session, "sorry i cannot d&d"

Does anyone else get what I mean? This shit is fucking bananas and it's just depressingly angering to deal with on an almost weekly basis.
>>
>>46390211
Ditch them. Recruit reliable people.
>>
File: Roland portrait.png (170 KB, 900x800) Image search: [Google]
Roland portrait.png
170 KB, 900x800
>>46385871
Just let it near your resident Master at Arms.

He won't fucking hesitate.
>>
>>46390251
I would, but these are my dear friends I'm talking about. I love them, but at the same time I'm really angry at them and I can't tell them how furious I am because it'd hurt their feelings
>>
>>46375243
You sound like this board has poisoned you. /v/ poisoned me so bad I can't enjoy Vidya anymore. I hope that this won't happen with /tg/.
>>
>>46390788
>/v/
Video games are shit nowadays, don't fool yourself.
>>
>>46386230
In my setting magic works a bit differently. You either have all of it or none of it. Also the skeleton thing.

>>46388705
We already had a guy with two huge tower shields.
>>
File: Dogblood Mercs.jpg (274 KB, 875x1157) Image search: [Google]
Dogblood Mercs.jpg
274 KB, 875x1157
I've been That Guy before...

>have a pretty solid game group
>end up having to go out of state for a few months
>in my absence, group has added four new people
>getting set to come back, been working up an L5R game, dumping all my creativity into it
>put in a tremendous amount of work writing up new houserules
>everything is ready to run the moment I get back
>get back - group is still currently in a campaign
>one of the new people to the group is running Birthright using Pathfinder rules
>ok
>couldn't be less interested, and I'm starting to lose focus on my campaign
>try to make the best of it, and join the game
>make a character whose basically a mercenary captain who came from nothing
>GM tells me that my build is shit and that I have to optimize
>always played D&D from a "character and backstory is more important then stats" perspective, so I don;t even know wtf optimizing even is
>whatever, getting annoyed, but do it
>all the while I've been briefing the new people to the group on upcoming L5R, since most of these folks are completely new to the setting (my group regulars already know it)
>current GM is getting annoyed at this (as he feels I'm trying to co-opt the group, and sideline his campaign)
>in the game, since I joined super late, most of the characters have already got plans and kingdoms and plots in motion, and I'm just a guy with a mercenary company
>no one even tries to include me, im immediately seen as an outsider
>finally get the opportunity to deploy my troops and help, but can't do it because of local laws about moving troops through a forest
>OOC, thats fine, frustrating, but fine. IC its monumentally stupid and I don;t hesitate showing it, and voicing how stupid I think it is IC (because character is pragmatist)
>GM's buddy thinks I think its stupid OOC and now hes getting pissed at me
>try and explain that im just method actor RP'ing - doesn;t matter (these guys were already annoyed at my touting of L5R)
(cont)
>>
File: 1438433606814.png (197 KB, 600x604) Image search: [Google]
1438433606814.png
197 KB, 600x604
>>46390889
(cont)

>campaign was supposed to wrap up in three weeks - but its still going
>I've not been able to do anything of note, and now I'm just bored, and losing my interest to even run my L5R game
>finally get an opportunity to do something as the campaign climaxes with the defense of a castle
>elite troops are needed - well guess what, I lead a ton of veteran elite badasses
>can't. roll. for. SHIT.
>get more surly with the whole experience
>GM and his buddy get more and more fed up with me since it seems like I'm looking for any opportunity to hate the experience
>the rest of my group was having a blast though, and they loved the campaign AND Birthright
>I didnt
>finally, campaign ends, and its time for me to run L5R

I didn't even know how much people were really pissed at me, so I think there was probably some expectation that I run a truly fantastic game to make up for all my bullshit the last month

>run L5R
>it starts out really well and I'm weaving awesome heroes who will become legends over the course of a long quest
>devolves into bickering between two players who hate each others characters (OOC, not IC)
>I'm so tired of it that I just yell at both of them to stop being assholes
>wrong thing to do, both of them just decide that I'm the asshole
>the two new guys have huge smiles as everything goes up in flames
>my L5R game doesn't even last a month

After that, and while it was somewhat systematic and short, I ended up losing every single one of those people as friends (save one), and moved out of state. I remember it as an object lesson that if your forced to suffer through something you dont like, you better fucking do it with a smile because no one wants to hear it if your not having fun - they WILL remember it and use it against you later
>>
>>46388898
Are you the only one having problems with his behaviour?
>>
>>46390788
I don't ever go to /v/ and I barely enjoy any vidya either. So it may be not as connected as you think.
>>
>>46388913
Just /ignore him.

It's not that hard: if someone is rude to you, just straight up ignore them. If he talks shit about you in public and you're there, though, call him out on his bullshit.
>>
>>46388916
You are wrong.

The furry should've helped kill the goblins and then help the damn critter.
>>
>>46389472
>I instinctively ask how high the ceiling is after the last session where I got 27 total on a roll and jumped so good I smashed my head on the low roof

Your GM is shit by the way. You might want to tell him that, for me.

Because if you roll good, then you shouldn't be punished for some god-forsaken reason: your GM a shit.
>>
>Talks about how 40k is about being a hobby, not only a game where you play with half assembled, grey primed models.
>Guy gets upset and starts to argue the case, as of course he is all about the game.
>Gets a few butt buddies to catch on to strengthen their argument and gets angry at any turn he is proven wrong.
>In the end, everything about 40k is shit apparently (and still he plays it?!?), nothing is fixable, all Codex are shit and he refuses to accept 7th idea of using allies and formations.
>Stuck in a 3ed mindset that just wont change, he insists all others thinks like him, and not the other way around. If you don't, your an idiot.
>He wont accept that conversion and modeling is also a big part of the hobby aspect that can solve many of his problems of "bad" units, by simply converting models to represent other forces of the game (fixing alternative weapons and looks). Hell no, everything should come as it sells straight out of the box, and he is buttmad that you actually have to put effort in to gluing and painting your stuff before playing.
>And when one tries to argue the gaming aspects of the hobby it gets even worse. As it turns out the guy rarely plays the game, but he knows everything there is to know about statistics. Tactics and individual experience is irrelevant, and all is mathhammer and luck/un-luck

Realizing I just went a trip past the 40k threads, I'm sad to say this is your average "hobbyist" in /tg/. Props out to screaming anon who literally starts using Caps Lock every time he gets mad and tries to strengthen his "I'm right" impression. That guy is literally everything I described above.
>>
>>46389564

>>46390081 is right. Take up the GM mantle and show them how it's done!
>>
>>46391027
Plus people shouldn't enable retarded decisions by helping thrm afterwards.
>>
>>46389625
Please, do elaborate.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.