[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wbg/ - Worldbuilding General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 84
File: flat,800x800,075,t.jpg (253 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,t.jpg
253 KB, 800x800
Worldbuilding Thread

Some worldbuilding resources:

On designing cultures:
http://www.frathwiki.com/Dr._Zahir%27s_Ethnographical_Questionnaire

Random generators:
http://donjon.bin.sh/

Mapmaking tutorials:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Free mapmaking toolset:
www.inkarnate.com

Random Magic Resources/Possible Inspiration:
http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/magic/antiscience.html
http://www.buddhas-online.com/mudras.html
http://sacred-texts.com/index.htm

Conlanging:
http://www.zompist.com/resources/

Random (but useful) Links:
http://futurewarstories.blogspot.ca/
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/
http://military-sf.com/
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/
http://donjon.bin.sh/
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/index.html
http://kennethjorgensen.com/worldbuilding/resources
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/wiki/books/europe#wiki_middle_ages
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuilding

Questions:
>Would you want to live in your world? If not, why?
>Pick a country in your world:
-->What kind of government is it? What is the title of the ruler, and who currently has this title? What kind of person is he/she?
-->Are the people generally happy?
-->What are the major imports/exports?
-->What kind of army does this country have? -->What is the most effective part of it?
>Who is one of the most dangerous warriors in your world?

Hard Mode and Dante Must Die Mode questions available upon request.
>>
>would i want to live in my world
maybe for a week. then id get the fuck out of there cause id rather not get a hand cut off or catch some disease
>pick a country in your world
Cordania
A monarch ruled by a king. Havent decided who he is or what kind of person he is.

>most dangerous warriors in your world
Artemus. A Messian Lion Knight of Renus. They were some of the most elite warriors in history. He's basically the guy on the cover of dark souls 2. The only difference is he wears satin red rather than the blue green.
His father and his squad were the last remaining lion knights until they were killed by unfortunate events.
He didnt fully complete his training but what he does know is still enough to put him in the top 3 in terms of most dangerous warriors in the world.
Im still trying to think of ways to make him different from the dark souls guy but everything about him is just perfect for what i want.
>>
>>46293132
forgot to ask for hard mode questions. hard mode questions pls.
>>
>>46293132
No. I'll take boring real world problems to Early Modern Period plus Magic ones.

Uril. A northern nation that was conquered 50 years ago by the dragon Narsus. Unique in that he's not an animal, but a sapient spellcaster as well as a dragon. He technically breaks setting rules (muh adventure hook). Uril is a major industrial center under a black cloud of endless production, and it's the site of the only stable planar gate in the world, making it an alien trade hub. Uril's army is similar to most in this setting: tercios. Tercios for days.

Hernando Fuerra. Deadliest swordsman around. Legendary gentleman adventurer. Priest. Heretic. General. Slave. Spy. Mage. He's done it all, and has published his memoirs as adventure tales.
>>
>>46293132
Yes, most definitely.
-->What kind of government is it? What is the title of the ruler, and who currently has this title? What kind of person is he/she?
It's an autocracy, lead by the Dragonheart Emperor. Generally speaking, the government only tries to maintain order. Economically, the Empire aligns more closely with a capitalistic system.
The Emperor himself is an old man, as he's a magic-blooded human who is several hundred years old. He's strong in combat, and acts as a figurehead for the nation's Paladin orders.

As happy as they could be. Their country is safe and secure, crime is handled, and their nation is wealthy.
Also polygamy.

Butchered meats and dairy, as well as trained magic users. The invention of magical freezers and refrigerators has made this a lot easier.

-->What kind of army does this country have?
Mostly hired mercenaries called Adventurers, a several Knight orders, and a few Paladin orders.
When the need arises, a group of Paladins will organize the various mercenaries and knights into brigades.
-->What is the most effective part of it?
Magic Artillery. It still has room for improvement, but a barrage of spells is enough to kill nearly anything.

Any of the Wardens. If someone's strong enough to use a Titanium weapon, they're strong enough to cut you in half; through your armor.
Their leader is a deadly anti-Mage, who literally "wrote the book" on defeating spellcasters as a swordsman.
>>
>>46294869
>Titanium weapon
Is this a different titanium than real life? Because titanium isn't that heavy, hell it's 40% lighter than steel.
>>
>>46294968
I'm only stealing the real-life nomenclature.
It's a "Titan" metal because it's a magical alloy of Adamantium, with almost double the density. Much heavier and more durable than typical Adamantium, but exponentially harder to forge with and produce.
>>
>>Would you want to live in your world? If not, why?
No, don't wan't to be a Landsknecht
>>Pick a country in your world:
>What kind of government is it? What is the title of the ruler, and who currently has this title? What kind of person is he/she?
Duchy of Merm, feudal monarchy, Henry III. Duke of Merm and Margrave of Seemark, quite cynical and militaristic but humorous.
>Are the people generally happy?
They can not complain.
>What are the major imports/exports?
Imports: Iron, Copper, coal
Exports: Oak wood, guns, pikes
>What kind of army does this country have? -->What is the most effective part of it?
They use non mercenary Landsknechts soldiers and the core part of them are the axemen, which are in the middle of the formation, attacking after the fronts have clashed.
>>Who is one of the most dangerous warriors in your world?
Atmark Zwirm, he's slaid a dragon after three axe blows. (Because I fucked up the balancing of the dragon and the player rolled three crits)
>>
>>46294447
>What is the most advanced banking institution in your world? Do they charge interest, or give credits/money of account? Is money of account recognized as a valid form of transaction?
>What is the most popular form of transaction? Barter? Money?
>If magic is an important or controllable part of your world, how has it influenced farming and trade? For example, teleportation making it much easier to transport goods and services.
>What kinds of strange and esoteric concepts exist in your world's religions?
>What's the biggest ocean in your world? Is it usually safe to cross? If not, what precautions do sailors take, if any?
>>
No because I like this one a bit too much.
>>Pick a country in your world
Sarragd, city of warriors.
>>What kind of government is it? What is the title of the ruler, and who currently has this title? What kind of person is he/she?
It is ruled by the council of lesser martial gods, Mach, Gepid, Sarta and Tylla.
Thwy are warrior gods, proudly leading their people to holy war. Each is a child of the Sun Goddess(the true god of war). They represent a different aspect of warfare and have corresponding personalities. The council also includes 5 mortals chosen by the people usually for their skill in warfare.
>>Are the people generally happy?
They are similar to Spartans in their outlook on life so one could say they are.
>>What are the major imports/exports?
Siege weapons and mercenaries.
>>What kind of army does this country have?
It is divided in 5 parts specialized in the art of war of the deity that leads them.
The blademasters of Mach. The cavalry of Gepid. The bowmasters of Sarta. The siegemasters of Tylla.
>>What is the most effective part of it?
The siegemasters of Tylla.
Of the mortals it is Nikodemos, a son of the god Mach and a Makallian(quadripedal sapient species) woman. He has slain 4 river spirits at once (river spirits are basically gods of a river and have superhuman powers) and won many battles and duels.
>>
I've been trying to write a story based on reality, but I am having a hard time placing it in a location that I liked. At first I thought I would do what I know and just follow the Lovecraft route and base it on my hometown, but it's pretty small and insignificant. It's a horror story though, so I thought maybe it could be ground zero?

I know this isn't traditional worldbuilding but it's sort of a divergent alternate history and I am just curious if horror can happen out of the way of a city or something or if that would even be interesting.
>>
>>46295631
>What is the most advanced banking institution in your world? Do they charge interest, or give credits/money of account? Is money of account recognized as a valid form of transaction?
Banks are only a simple storage of Gold bullion, nothing more. "Interest" and "Debt" are completely unknown concepts.
The "national bank" in each major city issues bank notes and coinage relative to gold within their stores, so currency is very common in civilized areas. In villages or towns, barter is much more common.
The average citizen can spend only 5 silver, or 1/10th of a gold piece, on food each week and live comfortably.

>If magic is an important or controllable part of your world, how has it influenced farming and trade?
Nearly all villages have a local Druid to fertilize their fields through magic. Sustenance farming is not a factor, and the world would likely suffer from overpopulation if villages weren't so prone to being massacred by magic beasts.

Nothing too strange.
There's a theocracy that worships a long-since-dead Wizard, which trains Clerics in his name. Having Clerics derive power from worship of a Wizard is kind of weird.

>What's the biggest ocean in your world? Is it usually safe to cross? If not, what precautions do sailors take, if any?
I haven't named it, as almost no one sails it. It's full of ridiculously strong sea monsters and aquatic lesser dragons, nearly all having supernatural abilities.
The sea creatures ignore anything that isn't food, so the only group that sails the seas are skeletons.
>>
>>46293132
Yeah probably. I mean it's not a bad place as long as you keep your head out of crime and polotics.
>Pick a country in your world:What kind of government is it?
Dictatorship but it has a sort of parliament. The King has final say regardless of the vote though.
>What is the title of the ruler
The King
>and who currently has this title?
King Barosovok, first of his name.
>What kind of person is he/she?
He's a tough old man, veteran of the unification wars and now enjoys showing the people the benefits of unification now that the undead are all but gone.
Mostly happy, more then usual with the Kings decrees.
Due too hostile relations with neighbors they try hard to remain independent. But they deal a bit in fish and animal hide.
>What kind of army does this country have?
Tons of light infantry with spell casters and converted vehicles. They used too have more but then much was lost in the previous war and they are eager for peace.
>What is the most effective part of it?
The vehicles. Most are off road vehicles with a cannon or other large gun that they use to harass the enemy and attack supply lines.
It's impossible to pick just one.

Nothing special but it's a work in progress.
>>
>>46296356
Check a map of the world's "ley-lines", if you need help picking an occulty hotspot.
If one goes right over your home town, you're in luck.
>>
>>46296356
Set it in central Asia in the period between 1917 and 1949.

It was a time when murder-hobos, opium sellers, dispossessed nobles, bandits, assassins, wandering sorcerers, fanatical warlords, and treasure seeking adventurers coexisted in a nightmarish wasteland of ruined ancient cities.

Perfect for basically any /tg/ related content, and all manner of horror.
>>
My setting is based on greco-roman artwork, fetish games like Corruption of Champions, and is a parody of the recently coined "grimdark" genre (aka too pretentious to label themselves dystopian goth punk emo wannabes). I need reasonable justifications for why warriors would run around wearing skimpy fetish gear or nothing at all instead of real armor. Magic, easy access to sex, easier sleeping in armor, fused to their flesh, etc?
>>
>>46295005
previous answers
>>What is the most advanced banking institution in your world? Do they charge interest, or give credits/money of account? Is money of account recognized as a valid form of transaction?
The Bank of Krehemen, they lend money to anyone, but are pretty rough if someone isn't repaying their debts. (except if it's a nobility.) And no, it isn't.
>>What is the most popular form of transaction? Barter? Money?
Mostly money. The peasents are often trading as well.
>>If magic is an important or controllable part of your world, how has it influenced farming and trade? For example, teleportation making it much easier to transport goods and services.
Magic is an important part of the world, but mostly for warfare. The people haven't discovered the more peaceful kinds of magic yet, not even the elves.
>>What kinds of strange and esoteric concepts exist in your world's religions?
The highpriests of Magkrul are usually smoking vines, which are being heaten through a golden hob. It's a bad omen, if the vines won't burn.
>>What's the biggest ocean in your world? Is it usually safe to cross? If not, what precautions do sailors take, if any?
Haven't made up a name yet, since I haven't even drawn it on any of my maps.
>>
>>46296621
Skimpy armor means their skin is open to the air, negating the risk of their spells failing. The weakness associated with skimpy armor is removed through magical defenses.
>>
How do you make magic interesting in your settings?
>>
>>46296713
So armor interferes with magic? What about low or non-magic settings?
>>
File: 1448041786546.jpg (3 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1448041786546.jpg
3 MB, 1988x3056
Tell me, /wbg/: what IS magic?

Where does it come from? Is it a gift from the gods? Is mana the residual energenies from the creation of reality? Is it the manipulation of spirits, spillover from other realms, or something else entirely? Does the planet your setting takes place in produce the energies of magic as naturally as it does precious stones, or is magic something entirely otherworldly?

How does one learn to manipulate magic? Are they born with a gift? Does it require decades of research and the studying of specific formulae and incantations, or does it come as a second nature to those who possess it. Who CAN wield it? What dangers are involved.

Tell me about your magic systems.
>>
>>46297091
Mana is radiation from distant stars, much like light. It accumulates in one's body, and spellcasters can learn to use it to fuel magic.
Most spellcasters manipulate magic through belief, whether it's belief in a deity, belief in an ideal, or belief in the natural world. Sometimes individuals are born with magical blood, which lets them manifest magical effects instinctively.

Wizards, and the derivative Assassin and Magewright classes, learn magic through research and understanding of arcane circles and runic magic. Wizards are the ones who develop new spells, with the risk of blowing themselves up in the process. Most spell lists are simply spells that have been tested and extensively documented.
>>
File: The City-States.png (9 KB, 271x327) Image search: [Google]
The City-States.png
9 KB, 271x327
>>46293132
Yes, it might be Early Modern, but a short sharp low-tech life is all I want
Sotneva
>What kind of government is it? What is the title of the ruler, and who currently has this title? What kind of person is he/she?
Loose confederacy of city states, recently entered a civil war between Monarchists (as one country we are strong) and the Last Free Cities (fuck off it's my money and my army). Ruler names vary.
Depends. The central riverine and southern maritime cities were merry in their wealth, the northern borders have just lost two states in wars. Now there is a civil war and happiness is down.
It's a Mediterranean country between the mountains and the coast. Each region can provide much of what the rest need, but light cloth for the environment must be imported, along with spices from abroad. Exports of all varieties exist, but namely raw material from the north, and fine crafts from the centre.
Each state maintains its own private army, in the style preferred by its owner. The armies are usually one of well equipped, drilled, or manned, but rarely more than one. The Monarchist armies use tactics which make best use of their superior manpower, whereas the Free Cities have developed tactics and drill based much more on regional and regimental independence.
For the Monarchists, the vast infantry"fortresses of men" which are nigh unbreakable, but unwieldy. For the Free Cities, the well-equipped infantry and cavalry regiments, operating on personal initiative.

>>46295005
>Landsknechte
>Not mercenaries
>Use axes, not pikes

???
>>
File: Nordish tercio.jpg (199 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Nordish tercio.jpg
199 KB, 1280x720
>>46297386
Landsknecht just means servent of the land, so they don't have to be mercenaries.
>>
I want to write out a summary of a nation for my players - 500 words or less - that is background important but they likely won't be visiting. But because I have a pretty clear idea of it in my head, I can't tell what would be useful or pertinent information for the party.

What would you want to see in a brief description of a foreign nation?
>>
>>46297680
>System of government
>Geography
>Culture
>>
>>46297561
I mean, sure, that's the etymology, but when actually describing soldiers, it means Germanic Mercenaries in the Swiss pike-column style of fighting, stereotypically overdressed.

Your pike square seems to make enough sense, except for how do the axemen get between the pikemen?
>>
>>46297091
Mana is the latent energy from the creation of the universe It was previously infinite but is now finite in a sense. All things are fueled by faith in their existence. In the beginning there was only one sentient mind that of the unnamed creator god who was himself synonymous with the universe but in thinking about other sentient life imbued organisms with sentience. The first of these were sentient cosmic phenomena and stars who through their radiation passed it along to other creatures.
Fast forward millions of years and all manner of sentient life now control most of the forces governing their lives. Simply by believing in the power of gods, magic, and even things like gravity or life and death they force them to exist. Very few beings know this is how it works and most unmake themselves accidentally upon discovering it while others become even more powerful than gods.

This fuels life and in regards to your original question magic on the world. It is widely regarded belief that magic draws upon forces of varying nature such as a god's divinity or primal elemental forces in the land and animals. Over thousands of years rituals, invocations, and intricate magical formulas have evolved each a separate philosophy of magic that believes it has power in large enough numbers that even gods believe it and give it their power as well. Wizards create new spells in this manner by testing out new combinations of ingredients and words that have been given power. It is mostly their own confidence and doubt in the workings of magic that cause their new spells to succeed or backfire.
>>
So, I'm not entirely diving into a Whole New World(tm), but I am writing up Heaven and Hell in a biblical apocalypse.

What approaches *haven't* been used for setting up Heaven and Hell? Bureaucracies for both have been pretty prominent, hell's got its "pits of fire and brimstone"...
>>
File: Ophanim-copy.jpg (640 KB, 800x721) Image search: [Google]
Ophanim-copy.jpg
640 KB, 800x721
>>46299961
Heaven is so dedicated to order that everything is geometric and mathematically perfect. Anything even remotely humanoid is uncanny valley symmetrical, and the majority of inhabitants are weird shapes.

Hell is the opposite of that, more as if it were born from a drug-fueled fever dream than any rational mind.
>>
Has anyone here made a procedural generator for civilizations' societies or histories?

If so, how'd it turn out, and do you have any advice?
>>
What would a barbarian-style society do with a log the size of a skyscraper? I know it's prime dungeon material but I want to do something different with this one. I guess make a really big mead hall? I don't even know.
>>
>>46300601
Carve it up. Praise it to whatever gods they believe, and then begin the decades-long work of cutting it up for resources.

Alternatively, druids and Loghenge.
>>
>>46300465
yeah it's called crusader kings II
>>
>>46299961
Hell is where all the shitty artists went, and then they became the architects.
>>
>>46297091

I like to think of my world existing in three basic realms: the astral realm which is entirely anti-magical and only occupied by a single god being, the material realm which is semi-magical but not innately, and the infernal realm where magic is abundant and often leaks over and into the material realm.

The anti-magic god figure actively tries to stop demons and their magic from crossing into the material realm and hopes to sanitize the plane of magic altogether. The magical demons make pacts with mortals and use portals (made via cultist ritual) to enter the material realm and infest it with magic. Magic works a lot like radiation in my world where these rituals and magical events create a reaction of magic which leaves a nearly unnoticeable residual layer of the stuff across the world.

A person can use magic either by learning to harvest the residual amounts present in the everyday world (which usually takes a lifetime of training and practice), or they can make a pact with a demon and get their magic straight from the source. These styles of magic users represent the material and the infernal realms respectively so of course there are also magic users representing the astral realm despite its devote hate of magic. These people would be clerics or paladins of the holy church who gain their magical prowess through a church sanctioned ritual and ironically use their powers to try and stamp out magic everywhere in the name of their god.

Still working on this though, so if you took the time to read all that criticisms welcomed.
>>
File: FlagofOrelle.png (215 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
FlagofOrelle.png
215 KB, 3000x2000
>>46293132
Considering it's more or less like Earth, but with different geography and peoples, I wouldn't mind, especially since it's got a sort of 1920's-era feel and I'm a sucker for the hardboiled genre.

>Pick a country in your world
The United Kingdom of Orelle. They're a unitary semi-presidential constitutional monarchy. Their sovereign executive is, well, a president, with a royal family fulfilling much the same role as the UK does. The current president is one Aaron Valke, a very convicted man who is dead-set on bringing his nation back to its former glory.

The people are pretty downbeat at this time, having been the losing side of a major industrialized war. Orellians are nothing if not industrious, however, and even with a dearth of young men and massive debts to pay, their economy is steadily recovering. They've maintained their status as one of the major fonts of culture in the world, with one of their chief exports being the new medium of film.

Before the war, they had an army the equal of any on the globe. At present, they're pretty much in shambles, having been forced to strip themselves of most of their armament following their capitulation. They've been left with just enough soldiers to maintain a tenuous grip on their colonies, which their opponents on the world stage know leaves their home front defenseless and thus docile. Orellian pilots had great success during the war, however, and many of them have remained in service as trainers for the next generation.

Given the industrialized nature of warfare in contemporary times, such figures are more the stuff of legends. Many nations have stories of their respective heroes battling titans of various forms--and a few may have evidence to back them up.
>>
>>46295631
>banks
the banks hold and store money. loan sharks also do the same on a smaller scale. you can get a loan with interest and rack up debt but thats the extent of banking.
>transaction
they use gold, silver and copper. bank notes are also used with large transactions between guilds and larger buisnesses.
>magic
none
>>
>>46293132
Absolutely, provided I wasn't a serf in Vybach or anyone at all in Saddhath-Leng.

The Silurian Empire
>--What kind of government is it? What is the title of the ruler, and who currently has this title? What kind of person is he/she?
They have an elective monarchy with an effectively (but not absolutely) hereditary senate that holds most legislative power. The ruler's title is Emperor. Think a large-scale version of Venetian government, with added constitutional protections for the commoners. The current Emperor is Lambert VII; a mild and unambitious old man who views his nation in much the same way that a museum currator looks at the relics he cares for.
>--Are the people generally happy?
Pretty much, though there's a general sense that the nation is on its way down and there is a strong popular nostalgia for a past when they were the only major power on their continent. Still, life is fairly comfortable for even the common man and oppression is known only as something that happens in shitty foreign counries.
>--What are the major imports/exports?
Their main trading partner is the Meridial Leauge, a vast confederation of city-states surrounding an inland sea across the mountain range on their eastern border. They primarily export agricultrual products, coal, and brick, while importing weaponry, machines, and luxury goods.
>--What kind of army does this country have? -->What is the most effective part of it?
In peacetime, they have a small professional army of elite career soldiers drawn from the aristocratic classes. In wartime, this core military force serves as the officer corps for a huge conscripted force of citizen-legionairies. The average infantryman carries a weapon that's basically a light halberd built around a smoothbore single-shot gun, but the real pride of the nation is its fleet of landships and massive artillery guns.
>>
>>46301381
In terms of pure individual lethality, probably Séverine von Eisenkreuz. A high-born assassin, prodigy of the Imperial Duelist's Academy and infamous veteran of the succession wars in Saddhath-Leng, she's absolutely unmatched as a gunfighter and markswoman.

On the battlefield, probably Baron Armand Hanstadt, commander of the Order of the Knights of Nordenmark. He and his knights operate mechanical suits somewhere between large power armor and small mechs, unique works of art that are pretty much the pinnacle of the setting's military tech. In his armor, he'd easily be a match for an entire battalion of ordinary troops.
>>
>>46297091
Magic is part of the natural world, just as gravity is. In fact, magic is just light that is either attached to or channeled through living beings or inanimate objects Most people can't use magic and those that do can only use a specific type of magic. Magic users can learn new spells as long as those spells are related to the type of magic that they already possess (ie. a person who can use telekinesis can learn how to create magic bolts.) In terms of ability magic users can grow in strength through continuous use of their natural abilities. The principle is the same as building muscle. The only way you make any gains is by continuously pushing yourself more and more.

Because magic is a natural occurring thing, there is very little opposition to its use. Everyone from pagans living in swamps to the most fundamentalist of Christians approve of its use in some manner. In fact, prior to Rome's adoption of Christianity, the church created a form of instant written communication so as to be able to communicate with other large congregations in distant regions. The Muslims did a similar thing so that they could micro-manage their ever expanding empire.
>>
>what kinds of unique domesticated animals, pets and war beasts does your world have?
>What kinds of Angels or Celestials do you have in your setting, if any?

Does anyone have a setting where the "elder races" are still in power? we always get the dwarfs and elves as being in decline, does anyone have them at the height of their power?
>>
>>46301619
I have a nation of elves that are so highly evolved they have eliminated poverty and disease within their borders and just debate philosophy and have intrigue filled dinner parties while keeping most people out with their secure borders.
>>
File: Eredin.jpg (553 KB, 561x913) Image search: [Google]
Eredin.jpg
553 KB, 561x913
>>46301619
>does anyone have them at the height of their power?

The Elves are poised to conquer the Kingdom of Sandomir in the far north, and will probably bring their Dwarvish slaves along with them as they push inward.

The Elves of the Moon are always powerful, and have recently begun to set into motion plans to invade the planet and finish what they started thousands of years before.

They've got this weird place in my setting as both the warmongering imperialists and the celebrated minority, as they're featured heavily in one of the setting's major religions. People who don't deal with the warmongers generally see them as ideal spouses and excellent advisors.

As for angels? Never got that far in the cosmology, I'm tempted to pin them as crystallized faith that's called into existence during times of great need.
>>
>>46301416
Commercial banking verges on nonexistence, as rule of law and and institutions are weak. In the more decentralized nations, individual lords often lend at interest to their own subjects, but that's about it. The only trans-national banking institution is The Order, a quasi-religious UN-meets-Catholic-church organization that selectively extends lines of credit to nobles at zero interest in order to advance their own political goals.

Money is common, but is not fiat currency. Precious metal coinage is the order of the day, with every major noble minting his or her own money in fairly common universal weight-based denominations. Barter is generally reserved for savages or particularly large transactions like the purchase of lands or ships where the amount of coin involved would be impractical to carry about.

>If magic is an important or controllable part of your world, how has it influenced farming and trade? For example, teleportation making it much easier to transport goods and services.
Magic is extremely subtle and indirect. The adepts of the Order perform intrinsic manipulations in the foundries of the Meridial League to produce materials that are unbound by the laws of physics, but that's the furthest extent of what you'll see in terms of magic influencing trade.
>>
>>46302680
Most of the western continent is under the sway of The Order. They have no interest in the peasantry and leave them to their own local pagan beliefs, while being intensely interested in the high-born (for eugenic reasons not widely known). They encourage a sort of vague mystical universalism in the elite, while instilling in them a fear of any magic not practiced by The Order's adepts. Their goals are to maintain stability and preserve the carefully engineered bloodlines of the elite without the subjects of their attentions being aware of the hidden powers they possess.

Haven't named it yet, but no, it's not easy cross. There is no land for some thousands of miles and the route from the south-western continent to the north-eastern content takes you across the stormy equatorial waters where the winds are fickle. Unless you have a steamship, it's a perilous journey.
>>
I'm looking for some creepy/interesting interpretations of traditional fantasy creatures. For example

>Succubus
>instead of being a super sexy demon right out of magic realm that tempts mortals for their souls, a succubus is a large disgusting and greedy mass of flesh.
>They're hyper-intelligent and strong with magic.
>They don't tempt mortals themselves. They possess attractive women and seduce men and steal their possessions.
>It's not too unheard of for a succubus to have a few dozen women under her control at the same time.
>When a succubus is done with a woman (usually about a month or two after first possessing them), the woman has absolutely no memory of what she did during the possession.
>Succubi often have hoards of gold and jewels that rival those of dragons
>In fact, succubi and dragons often fight over each other's hoards.
>The succubi's group of mind controlled women make cannon fodder against dragon invaders while she cripples the dragon with magic
>That assuming the dragon is slain by the various traps in her lair
>>
>>46303491
Well, I don't know if it's really an interpretation of an traditional fantasy creature, but it has some similarities with others.

> Skintaker
> A literal blob of spiders that hollows out your body cavities and then uses you to make more babies.

Bugbears are homo sapiens that went down a different path of evolution. Not like neanderthals, something different.

'True' dragons are big and noodley, like chinese dragons, but wiht significantly less whiskers

Rocs are giant owls.

Nothing else that comes to mind off the top of my head.
>>
What is the purpose of gods of X?

Like, a god of smithing? What do you, kill a lamb for him and he makes you a better smith?
>>
>>46304266
You kill a lamb, and the God of Smiths makes sure sparks from the forge don't jump on you and burn you to death.
>>
>>46293132

I have a place that had good welfare and invests in STEM, innovation and commerce so fuck yeah I'd live there.

Also, there are elves, bunnygirls and catgirls

>>Pick a country in your world:

The Empire of Gedask, a human dominated empire.

>-->What kind of government is it? What is the title of the ruler, and who currently has this title? What kind of person is he/she?

Aristocratic empire with the Emperor acting as executive head of state over an aristocratic senate. The strength of the emperor depends on their prowess as a politician and how many of the aristocracy he can convince or coerce to his position and/or support his personal armies.

The current ruler, 32 year old Emperor Kalien, is of moderate temperament and intelligence given to brilliant flashes of political insight. After the steady decline of power the imperial seat has had, he aims to consolidate his position by bolstering support from the east and northern lords and barons and weakening the western and southern dukes. He has also banished his elder sister to a small barony to the south east, a wind swept plain near the foot of the Southern Gates mountains to remove immediate threats to his throne.

>-->Are the people generally happy?

Not really. Serfs and slavery are still a thing but for a human it is a decent place to live. Most of the dukes, lords and barons are fair in their dealings and those that aren't are still better than being slaves to orcs or elves.

>-->What are the major imports/exports?

Major exports are sugar from beets and various plant fiber cloths and dyes. There is a good amount of grain and vegetable products but they are considered inferior in quality and not many are interested in their trade. Major imports are wine and spices from Alwara and metals and gems from Sha'hara.
>>
>>46305026
>bunnygirls
I wish I could include those in my setting, but I set a rule that all Beastmen races must be animals that aren't hunted or domesticated.
>>
>>46305026

cont.

>-->What kind of army does this country have?

Small core professional soldiers and knights from various lords and noble houses and the Emperor's own legion are bolstered by local levies and conscripts. It is numerous but highly unprofessional and heavily dependent on leadership to function.

>-->What is the most effective part of it?

Most effective parts would be the professional soldiers of the eastern lords and barons as well as their trained militia that have trained to fight/are veterans of conflicts with Sha'haran forces, especially Sha'haran irregulars.

Alotie Voudah, an orc lieutenant of the Wolfhounds irregulars. She specializes in using hit and run strategies and local superiority to lead her squads against numerically superior forces. Credited with personally killing 3 Gedan Captains and 2 Kight-Lords in single combat. She prefers to use a battle axe and parrying dagger in battle while wearing a cuirass over woven fiber and leather gambeson.
>>
File: ruurs.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ruurs.jpg
65 KB, 1280x720
>>46305078
Ruurs can be broken or bent, senpai

>>46295631

Currently the Imperial Reserve and Mercantile Bank in the Empire of Sha'hara are the most advanced known. The Mercantile Bank deals in public lending, investment and public deposits charging interests and fees for its services. Unit/money of account is tied to the value of Sha'haran gold coin and exchange value is pegged at the time of signing of the transfer. This makes transfer of funds relating to other currencies possible as well as letters of credit and money transfers with other banking organizations.

In Sha'hara it is money or letters of credit for large amounts. Barter is often used only for low cost purchases or for items and services that have no defined monetary market value.

Magic is a form of science and wide practical application, similar to industrialization, is only currently done in Sha'hara. Roads have been built and paved, farms better protected from storms, water and water treatment is cleaner. Hard and heavy labor can be done by constructs, if you can buy one. Several small magical trinkets are available like a ring which emits a small weak light or chimes that play a tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpLw8VW-R7I

Uh, er... I haven't measured yet. It may be the ocean to the west of the Xuande. Yeah sure you can cross it. For now.
>>
I wouldn't. Everyone is a dick.
Monarchy. Currently ruled by old queen, will pass on her granddaughter any moment now. Just usually queenly stuff. Holding balls, handing out charity and thinking it's enough, while everyone else in position of authority is incompetent or a jerk
Sort of. It's not as bad as it could be. Climate is good and royal family has magic healing powers and might occasionally invite sick people to get cured.
Food, fine cloth, precious metals and occasional magical artefacts because they hold entry to blasted wasteland surrounded by mountains
-->What kind of army does this country have?
Regular standing army
Elite musketeer regiments
Another aristocratic families who all have some kind of elemental combat powers.
>>
>>46293132
Would i like to live in my world
> not as much as continue living in this one. But yeah, its pretty nice play for the most part.

Pick a country, what is the government, what is the title of the ruler and who holds it, what kind of person are they?
> Dol Rykn
> Feudal, essentially tribal with a heirachy of Clans not dissimilar to vassalage.
> Normally the High King currently Hhrothgar Bjornsson, unfortunately he disappeared 40 years ago on a journey and the Council of Thanes rules in his absence with the Herald of Hhrothgar being the most senior member.
> the council has varying personalities but the Herald is a gòod man. He values valour and strength, both of arms and mind. He is wise but unlearned, but generous and in his advancing age becoming more peaceful despite his warlike tendancies of youth.
>>
what are some ways to justify the existence of magic in an otherwise mundane world? for example, the way the witcher explains monsters via the conjunction of spheres. I'm trying to think of some interesting ways to justify monsters and magic without using the "portal from an alternate universe" explanation
>>
File: wizzards.png (204 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
wizzards.png
204 KB, 800x500
What have been some of the great inspirations for your setting?

For me, Porco Rosso.

>>46297091
A mystical force that some practitioners can use to cast spells. The methods are usually hermetic and strange.

In-setting, no one still knows what's it exactly about, despite being a well-recorded and studied subject. The most advances have been in applications and safety.
For almost all living beings, magic itself draws from one of the original sources of creation ( chaos ), which all living things have been tethered to. It isn't only source, however. Gods have their own source, which they sometimes delegate to their most trusted followers. There are also other (some unseemly) things that you can draw from / get delegated. Or you own self, but that's rather dangerous practice.
Of course, this isn't available knowledge, it was only touched when Empire of Zere peaked in its might. And it was lost again in subsequent calamity.

Sorcerers, thaumaturgic practitioners and magicians are a combination of talent and hard studying. They are relatively few, so there is no institutional teaching of such, unlike some other professions. It still works by master-apprentice scheme.

Thanks to the bright minds of Zere, humanity ended up in ruins and without its magic - that is bit of a lie, though. While their tether was severed, they still can utilize the other sources. Problem is that they are just hell less intuitive, so chances of learning to draw from them without prior spellcasting is poor ( and no one really does know where magic sources from ). At least it was bit of a balancing act, because humans were absurdly good at magic.

As for system, I have been thinking about a 'magic contamination' system. Spells are unlimited ( reagents non-withstanding ), but build up contamination that can ruin you. It wears off, after some time.
>>
>>46305677
I once came up with idea that Universe is a battlefield between primal forces of order and chaos. Previously Order had upper hand resulting in mostly structured predictable world but now Chaos is dominating making world more malleable and thus allowing what is effectively magic.
Might be useful as a tie-in with ancient myths and such - gods and magic was real except the last two milleniums when Order was in charge.
>>
>>46305683
.cont

>>46295631
Central Jania's big banks. They are relatively modern in function.
Money in any industrious region. In remote regions / isolated islands, all bets are off.
There is certain influence, but the practitioners are few and the magic is not that powerful - at least for many. Those very, very few who can perform such deeds are more content at researching and teaching.
Religions are numerous, and there are only few large religions. I haven't thought about them too deeply, yet.
The spiritualism of Desw is deeply rooted in concept of rebirth and governs their caste-system. That is not strange, though, since it has similarities with some IRL religions.

World is full of oceans, and it is usually safe. Various beasts can pose a threat, though. Thankfully with invention of aeroplanes, the travel is safer. Seaplanes are particularly popular.

Not a luxury for everyone, though. And pirates are still a problem.
>>
>>46305758
this would be pretty cool, but the setting is godless. the idea of some innate primal force of sort creating magical creatures is interesting though
>>
>>46293132
Yes. Its almost noble-bright. Being an adventurer would be pretty cool.

Aronbor (Kingdom), the Duchy of Bastonne.

>-->What kind of government is it? What is the title of the ruler, and who currently has this title? What kind of person is he/she?
Kingdom and Duchy. Duke Alberic of Bastonne. A knight of renown, he is well regarded for personal courage and astounding self-discipline. Notorious for expecting the same high standards from his subordinates, vassals and household knights alike. As a result he has the smallest household of any Duke, but the knights are some of the greatest in the realm. He struggles with delegation and so has somewhat strained relations with his subordinates, however he is a well respected (if not particularly well liked) war leader but has never been accused of being a cunning politician.

Yes, the Duchy is well maintained and taxes are fair. The people have a militaristic culture which helps with discipline. The coast is harsh and plagued by powerful storms, and the land is not exactly free from banditry and monster attacks, but the knights are quick to respond to calls for aid and the towns have strong walls.

Cont...
>>
>>46298056
>but when actually describing soldiers, it means Germanic Mercenaries in the Swiss pike-column style of fighting, stereotypically overdressed.
They have the swiss style of fighting (or the spanish tercio style depends on the region), but that's a fantasy setting after all. Why the Landsknecht have to be mercenaries there as well?
>except for how do the axemen get between the pikemen?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMEnBHef96c like the daggermen in this video
>>
>>46306168
>>46298056
Or they leave through the back, before other men replace their rows to push against the enemy block.

The axemen are just because of the cavalry in there.
>>
>>46306118
There are a few mines that provide precious ores but the major exports are from the Port City of Summerfall, which is a hub of trade not only for the Duchy but all of Southern Aronbor, being the fastest passage of trade from the south to the east.

>-->What kind of army does this country have? -->What is the most effective part of it?
The army is somewhat small, but highly trained and well armed. They have some of the most skilled knights in the Kingdom but more-so the Duchy maintains a standing army of nearly 2000 men, a good portion of which is mounted. This is done through allotment.

Sir Gyles Whyte "The Swift", Knight Protector of the Realm.
He is a legendary warrior of near unparalleled skill, he has been blessed with long life, youth, strength, speed, and endurance surpassing his mortal limits as well as protection against harmful magic. Even before his ascension though he was regarded as the finest knight the realm having defeated many mighty foes, fighting with unmatched valour and skill.

He bears an runic blade that never dulls and seems that blood trickles off as if it were oil. In the hands of Gyles seems that if can cut through armour with ease - though if that is his strength or the blade is unknown.
>>
>>46301619
dwarves are not an elder race in my setting, they're the result of demon wizards fucking around with sheeps' genome to make homunculi (or generally any beings that would serve and worship them). so yeah, they're at the height of their power, living in small mountainside villages, farming nutritious tree sap and mining for salt and gems to trade with humans.
>>
>>46301619
My dark elves still have a flourishing desert empire. They're the most peaceful of the bunch. Normal elves are practically all subjugated and high elves are backed into a corner racist pricks. Dragons are too unmotivated too make something bigger than a city, which were usually just a couple of dragons and their slaves.
>>
File: goblin.jpg (53 KB, 600x672) Image search: [Google]
goblin.jpg
53 KB, 600x672
>>46293132
Yes, mostly because muh escapism but because while relation between the nations are shaky, there is mostly peace if you're looking for it.
>Pick a country in your world: Knoll
>What kind of government is it?
Ogliarchy, daily decisions run by a select few shamans, who get their directions from the dragons they worship
>What is the title of the ruler, and who currently has this title? What kind of person is he/she?
There is no one ruler, just those who pass on the will of the dragons to the people
They are happy because they don't know that life could be better. Few have been outside their island country, and they have little news of the world beyond.
They are mostly autonomous in that they forge their own tools and grow/hunt/fish their own food, what little coin they gain from trading is tribute to the dragons
Only a small force of three-thousand or so, mostly used within the settlements as peacekeepers and watchstanders. The dragons have never ordered them to war, so they are peaceful to all outsiders.
It's hardy nature. Their entire country is mostly burned-up forests and ruined cities of the dragons of the past, they produce what they can and scavenge the rest. Some of their shamans have taught themselves to read the dragon language, and have learned the lost practice of summoning foreign creatures from other worlds through the few remaining draconic libraries.

Basically, its an island country of goblins that live symbiotically with their neighboring island populated by dragons. Being a bit dull in the head themselves, they see these dragons as all-knowing deities. The dragons, who used to run the greatest civilization known to all of the races, have since fallen into... fucking word limit.

>>
>>46295005
Merm is the way the goosebumps girl would say mom.
>>
>>46307729
The dragons, who used to run the greatest civilization known to all of the races, have since fallen into anarchy over petty squabbles. Most of them returned to their realm and destroyed the worldgate behind them while the other stayed to laze around all day and allow the goblins to support them in exchange for tidbits of knowledge here and there. Basically, this planet gains its racial diversity through large stone portals that link to homeworlds populated by a certain race. Oddly enough, I got that idea through the old Spyro games
>>
So. I've been working on a universe for almost a year, and I've been stumped on progressing and trying to flush it out. I've even tried writing a pair of short stories to help with this. And its been mostly successful.

But I'm stuck. And its pissing me off because I'm beginning to lose interest in it.

I've looked at the Ethnographical questions thing, and it helps some. Is there anything else, maybe more general to help both renew my interest and get them sweet creative juices flowing?
>>
>>46303491
>Succubus
>instead of being a super sexy demon right out of magic realm that tempts mortals for their souls, a succubus is a large disgusting and greedy mass of flesh.

So... Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPKHxbOg19s
>>
>>46293132

Hell no, the now is fucking chill in comparison to ancient/ early medieval times.

The Empire of the Tetrarchy (usually just refered to as the tetrarchy). It's a monarchical empire comprising of a multitude of different nations and peoples. The ruler of the state is the emperor who is seen as the earthly steward of the Four Gods. As my setting is the basis for writing rather than gaming the current emperor depends on at which time in the history of the world the story is set in as I've currently got around 84 individual emperors throughout the 1000 years of backstory I've gotten around to write about. The personalities of these rulers varies as you'd might except.

Yes, as people generally tend to be.

The major imports are silks and spices and the major export is gold. Due to the size of the empire it exports a vast amount of valuables beside just gold however.

As the state is inspired by historical rome the army is comprised of heavy infantry in the form of orderly legionaries with loads of different kinds of auxillary troops and mercenaries. During the long timespan of the empire the military evolves to suit the needs of the empire with heavy cavalry such as cataphracts becoming a key part of it.

However, throughout the history of the tetrarchy the legionaries, that is to say tge professional heavy sword infantry, is the central part of the army.

The Golden Bontorix, High Chieftain of the Vacali, is certainly among the top. He organised and lead a huge invasion force against the tetrarchy during one of its weak periods which resulted in him taking over a significant chunk of it which he transformed into his kingdom. As an aged man he was finally slain in single combat by emperor Silanus II.
>>
>>46308184
that was actually one of the inspirations for the concept. i keep imagining it more as a female hutt though
>>
>>46308184
Is the moustache spanish audio only?
>>
>>46307889
>But I'm stuck.

In what way? I might be able to offer counsel, but I'd need some more details.
>>
>>46308509
Yeah, give me a bit at work. Posted that while on break.
>>
File: tumblr_mpv5z0Kbyu1rwwnylo1_500.png (387 KB, 500x399) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mpv5z0Kbyu1rwwnylo1_500.png
387 KB, 500x399
I'm trying to think of some kind of environmental threat (environmental in the sense that it is not caused by a person or group of people, so it can be disease, storms, zombies, whatever) that I can introduce outside of the normal warfare and human-based large scale threats (invading empires and the like).

I was thinking of doing fungus zombies, but beyond regular zombie fatigue, in order to do zombies well I think you have to really commit to them, which I'm not sure I really want to do. I was also thinking of a disease similar to the Shope papilloma virus that causes people to grow horns and become mutated and freaky. I know things like this have been done, like grayscale in GoT, and that stoneskin one in Full Metal Alchemist, IIRC.

Do you think this kind of thing could be interesting? How would do it so that the disease spreads slowly enough that it can be a climactic and building threat, but also be coherent?
>>
I'm working on the fashion for my fantasy world. It needs to be both functional as clothing, sexy, and able to be integrated straight into armor. Setting has a quirk though. It's not exactly a strange sight to see someone able to punch through an inch of steel with his bare fist. Similarly, you also see people who can flex their muscles and tank that blow (often getting knocked through the wall behind them but being rather unharmed) so the only purpose of armor at heroic levels is to blunt sharp impacts.

Only thing I know about the fashion so far is everyone dresses with tails. not like, catgirl tails, but women wear colorful silk sashes around their waists often with big ribbons, that trail behind them with fancy designs on them. And men wear silk if they're rich fops, leather if they're working men, studded leather if they're soldiers. Knights put full plate mail down their tail to make it look like a demon's tail.

Give me some food for thought about it, will you?
>>
>>46310763
studded leather has no practical use.
>>
>>46310832
That's why it's on a fashion piece you knob
>>
>>46310898
Calm your nips bro. We're all chill here.
>>
>>46310898
It's true, studded leather isn't really a thing. It's a fair point since you mentioned functionality. As far as I know, the modern notion of it was probably based on coat of plates/brigandine since that gives the appearance of studded leather, when in reality is a series of metal plates riveted to an outer garment made of cloth or leather.

Also, to get pedantic, the term plate mail isn't a real thing either.

Besides that, I don't fully understand what you want input on. You mentioned how your setting has long tails as a fashion thing, described how different classes of people dress according to that fashion. Could you be more specific with your question?
>>
>>46308370

Don't female Hutts look exactly like male Hutts? Or do they... no. Nope. Not gonna continue pondering that.

>>46308445
I'm pretty sure it's a mod of some kind. The Spanish is, of course, the game's Spanish audio, and the Latin music was added for the video.

Imagine if someone made a mod that only changed Dante's dialogue to Spanish.
>>
File: Gardullamakeup.jpg (81 KB, 527x629) Image search: [Google]
Gardullamakeup.jpg
81 KB, 527x629
>>46311315
They're hermaphrodites. Male and female distinctions are essentially a matter of choice for hutts.
>>
>>46311196
Please stop trying to give me history lessons. The only way a strip of leather, metal or no, will meaningfully impact survivability is if you're using it in a camouflage function when you lay down. It's completely out of the way, more out of the way that a cape even. It's a fashion piece.

And I don't really have more to say about the fashion right this instant because I'm trying to figure it out.

What about sleeves? In a world of punching really hard (and warm weather) I'd imagine there'd be a trend of going sleeveless both for the temperature and so there's nothing to grab onto. The world has no excessive stigma against nudity.
>>
File: misfits.gif (2 MB, 300x264) Image search: [Google]
misfits.gif
2 MB, 300x264
>>46311483

Oh. O-okay. That's... nice, I guess.
>>
>>46311534
Just letting you know you're using nonsense terms. No need to get defensive. If you're married to using D&Disms in your anime superhero world, do you.
>>
>>46311483
>>46311577
I thought that was retconned as of the new movie? I can't remember.
>>
>>46311810
Studded leather in fact does exist. It's just not armor.

Everyone knows what studded leather is, because we have studded leather today for stupid biker shit and dog collars. That's precisely what I'm describing (except not dyed BLACKER THAN BLACK)
>>
> Want to worldbuild
> Read several blogs, listen to themed music, read on /wbg/
> Oh man, this is gonna be good
> Open up document containing world info
> No motivation
> Decide to play vidya
> Need worldbuilding fix, try Civ V, Rome: Total War, Dark Souls, even try getting around to modding Fallout: New Vegas
> No motivation once I start up the game
> Go back to worldbuilding, maybe my writer's block is gone
> No motivation
> Vicious cycle
What is life
>>
>>46312526
Don't go into it cold turkey. Make a skeleton of a setting first.
Pick some general tropes and some basic races to expand/mold.
>>
Some places, sure.
Deeply Theocratic.
>What is the title of the ruler
The Lumen Voice. Basically the pope and king.
>Who currently has this title?
The only Vivicated person in the country, a woman around 120 years old.
Boring. She has a vested interest in keeping things the same. Tightened on border control.
It's generally peaceful and life is good so yeah.
None, as they are a pissy, walled in society that fears the outside world.
>What kind of army does this country have
None, as their borders are protected well by magical wards and guardians.
The fact that you cannot enter into the warded off areas without certain sigils inscribed directly into your skull without having a brain hemmorage.
Probably a character named VisitorRick, who is essentially Rick from Rick and Morty, but also an Exiled Visitor, which is a race of armor wearing, extremely insular foreigners who showed up from the far away lands and began to sell magic to the people of this continent.
>>
>>46312712
The only ones I really like are my wuxia setting and the post-apoc hero one. They're not very specific, which is why I suppose they work best.

The other one is a fantasy setting, but I think that, like you said, I took on too much at once. I've worked on that thing for months, though, so letting that sit is going to be difficult. Maybe I'll return to it.

Still want to make a fantasy setting, though. Might just have to stick with what I have.
>>
>>46293132
Yeah, I made it so I should.
The Principality of Sakat in Azurea
Limited Parliament/Despotism , Prince, Prince Dragomia "the Beastess" Dali , Basically Vlad Dracula
Well the nobility was purged in a brutal civil war but there has been an increase in the rights of commoners and formation of a new revised government that is leaning in on attracting and empowering settlers. So yes, but not with reservations.
Exports:
Crabs, Salt, Pinecones, Fish, Amber, Timber, Dyes
Imports:
Iron, Coal, Books, Grain, People (They need to conquer Silesia)
-->What kind of army does this country have? -->What is the most effective part of it?
A professional army of contracted soldier personally sworn to the Prince, essentially household mercenaries who are where given lands from the rebel nobles, and a force of part time militia from the rest of the citizenry. Beyond that some of the savages are conscripted under terms of tribute to help the Principality. Most likely the small elite core of Skeleton Rangers, who go on long missions and return at odd intervals after striking terror.
The Prince who with her bare hands can rip someone's limb off, rumored to have become a Vampire on top that previous feat.
Trained and vicious, she is a terrifying fighter equipped
>>
>>46308509
Okay, finally home.

The dumbest, and simplest way to describe the setting, is Shadowrun meets Eclipse Phase. There's magic. There's Ayy lmao's(xenos). It's HFY-ish. There's space battles. There's Mega-Corps.

It's called Dawning, or Reset

So. thus far: I've got 3 of the 7 species specced, 2 1/2 have a back story, or something resembling one. I have a general shape or idea in mind for the other 3. I only need to have 5(technically 6) of the 7 specced and backstory'd. But having them all done would be awesome. I already have an idea of the relationships and the politics between them all.

The magic system is... about 75% done, I have 5 of the 6 schools described, with both physical and mental aspects, I need to name, and give a general personality to the seven Devotes, one for each school, and one wildcard. I need to name, and back story the Immortals, their incarnate, and avatar in our world.

I have no corps planned or even have ideas for them, other than rC which will be SUPER important within the time period that I'd run a Quest in.

I have the two-ish short stories. and a little more about some other shit.

I have no idea where i'm stuck or what on.
>>
>>46308509
>>46314770
>to the seven Devotes,
Gods for all intensive purposes. sorry.
>>
File: 1453685606622.jpg (540 KB, 2163x2163) Image search: [Google]
1453685606622.jpg
540 KB, 2163x2163
>>46293132
No. My world is slowly dying. Magic in the world is rare, unknowingly supplied from the husks of dead gods, who sacrificed themselves so the world could live, after a catastrophe thousands of years in the past broke the world apart. The gods combined their might to save the largest fragment, which is kind of based on the pic, except larger. There is a large volcano-like mountain in the center of the world, from which steam and air pours. Water and cold air fall from the edges of the world, and flow downward through tunnels until they reach the core, at which time they are heated back up and go upwards until they reach the volcano.

However, by the laws of nature, some magic and energy is lost, and so eventually the fragment will cease to be self-sustaining.

Oh, and most people of the world follow the Church of Healing, which is formed entirely of clerics and reveres magic/medicine in all its forms. Think the Adeptus Mechanicus except made up of doctors. The Clerics usually heal through magic, so by helping people, they are depleting the world's magic reserves even more.

It's a fun, lighthearted setting.

Draconia

Oligarchy, led by the Council of Dragons, which consists of one ancient dragon of each color. These ancient dragons are effectively immortal. These dragons are the ancestors of ~1/3 of Draconia's inhabitants, the lesser dragons, dragonborn (dragons artificially created to better interact with humanoids) and 1/2 dragons (children of dragonborn and humanoids). The Ancients, as they are known, are very reclusive, but possess a shitton of knowledge from before the catastrophe that destroyed their world, and they do share that knowledge with everyone, Those who have met them say they are cranky yet wise. And don't put up with any bullshit.
>>
>>46315477

Cont.

Yes. The standard of life is high compared to many of the other nations, and they know it. This is mostly due to the knowledge of the Ancients, and the technology they create or choose to give to the populace.

Technologies disseminated by the Ancients are the major exports. Imports include many of the best and brightest young minds, and hoards of treasure. Recently, though, imports have shifted to include strange rocks, such as bauxite and cryolite, and odd metals such as tungsten.

>What kind of army does this country have? -->What is the most effective part of it?
The army is mostly focused around defense, though as Draconia is situated on an island, the navy is very large and powerful. The most effective part of the army is the airborne corps. Draconia is one of the few governments to have reliable air travel, accomplished by having dragons. Other nation have primitive airships, but their balloons are unreliable and easily catch fire.

The adventurers themselves are the most feared warriors, for they are the few that can harness the power of magic. Or possibly the warrior caste in the Church of Healing, which is made up of clerics and paladins.
>>
>>46313651
>Prince
>beastess
>her
if shes a her then she should be a princess. not a prince.
>>
>>46316001
May be one of those things where a female ruler takes on a male title to emphasize their authority in a traditionally male dominated role. Or they may have made a typo like you said.
>>
>>46314770
>I have no idea where i'm stuck or what on.

Well, if you don't know, how is anyone else supposed to?

Is it a matter of "Well, I think this thing could work well, but it conflicts with this thing"? If that's the case, then one solution I know of is to let that conflict play out and see where it leads. One can never be afraid to undo old work; it's only through revision that art improves.

Is it a lack of motivation? If so, there's no easy way around it other than to keep pushing until you break through, or to take a break and come back to it. In your case, having been working on it for so long, I recommend the former course, since any further procrastination is likely to just kill the project entirely.
>>
File: 1440946009685.jpg (4 KB, 185x126) Image search: [Google]
1440946009685.jpg
4 KB, 185x126
>>46314808
>all intensive purposes
>>
>>46316656
Well. It was intensive purposes, but it's intents and purposes now.

It's just so much more fun to use the old way.
>>
>>46316681
Well, 'intensive purposes' first appeared in the '50s, and 'intents and purposes' appeared in the 16th century, so not quite.
>>
>>46317653
Idioms are a diamond dozen.

To restate a Dante-Must-Die level question from a previous thread;
>What idioms exist in your setting? What's a common saying or anecdote?
>>
File: Blank_map_of_Europe.png (169 KB, 3464x2732) Image search: [Google]
Blank_map_of_Europe.png
169 KB, 3464x2732
The world has herniated chronologically in every direction.

Theres magic, monsters and other wierd shit.\

Ask Questions please god.
>>
>>46318209
>herniated chronologically
What?
>>
File: earth.png (245 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
earth.png
245 KB, 1920x1080
I've posted a couple times about my setting on here. About a week ago I started on a small site to explain aspects of the setting to my players, like a dictionary or storybook.

Does this tell you more or less all you need to know about Earth in 2283? Keep in mind, it will be impossible for the players to go here, it's just background.

Please ignore the shitty art; in time I want to make a version of the Emperor tarot for this page.
>>
File: 1448726102088.png (66 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448726102088.png
66 KB, 1000x1000
What are the top three greatest natural resources a European nation in the 1500s could have?

What were the best industries at the time? I ask because I need to know what industries a duchy or kingdom should have to show they're "a major power player" beyond raw population and arability.
>>
>>46318779
Not European per se (though it was a colony of Spain), but stumbling upon sources of mineral wealth can make a nation into a world power.
http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/mar/21/story-of-cities-6-potosi-bolivia-peru-inca-first-city-capitalism
>>
File: 1277769449720.jpg (49 KB, 604x483) Image search: [Google]
1277769449720.jpg
49 KB, 604x483
>>46318779

Salt.

No, really. Having access to large quantities of salt means you can preserve food, meaning your populations are more secure against famine, and even more importantly, can transport their food around. A few bags of salt was considered a gift worthy of a king. A kingdom with ready access to salt, either through mining or by boiling brine, can quite literally control an entire region and its power players through their dinner plates.
>>
>>46319516
My setting's oceans are freshwater. How would that affect civilization?
>>
File: 1431227602694.png (194 KB, 663x537) Image search: [Google]
1431227602694.png
194 KB, 663x537
>>46319516

Salt
Dye
Textiles (primarily cotton, silk and velvet.)

These are the only three resources that really had "international" appeal in the Middle Ages, as everything else was either local or regional.

I was tempted to add "Spices" to the list, but part of what made spices so appealing was their inaccessibility, so I think a major European power producing large quantities of pepper within their own borders might find the stuff not quite as valuable as if it was being produced in, say, the setting's India.

The best part about those three resources is that the last two play off each other; purple dye is worth it's weight in gold, a bolt of silk was worth it's weight in silver, but a bolt of fine purple silk? That's the stuff your chancellor would present an emperor, and the Emperor will find it a fine gift.
>>
File: 1456957254316.jpg (37 KB, 496x818) Image search: [Google]
1456957254316.jpg
37 KB, 496x818
>>46318349
split across time.
>>
>>46318779

Remember how Crusader Kings 2 is the greatest game to play if you want to understand how feudalism works (at least, at a competent level) and get a good feel for the Age?

Europa Universalis IV is the greatest game to understand how trade worked, how trade made nations, and what trade goods were better than others.

Check this link out: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Trade_goods
>>
File: Papal Album.png (524 KB, 466x600) Image search: [Google]
Papal Album.png
524 KB, 466x600
>>46319762
Including the modern age?
>>
>>46319566
>Oceans of freshwater
It means your planet is a fucking weird one. Hell, life'll develop in a way alien direction without the vast amounts of salt.

On the plus side, maybe there's more arable land or something.
>>
>>46319566

There would be more ice as freshwater freezes sooner than saltwater. Also the beaches would be less sand and more jungle. Think about how murky and gross the edges of lakes can be, that's how a lot of the coastline would look since the freshwater could sustain more plant life. Irrigation attempts using the seawater would be fucking weird as you'd have to direct a body of water away from itself before returning it to its starting position. Normal irrigation takes a water source that is moving in a single direction and then reroutes it, this style of irrigation would have to take a stationary body of water and move it.
>>
>>46319918
Does 1760 count as modern>?
>>
>>46320246

The modern era began in the 1500s.
>>
>>46320332

That doesn't sound right but you said it with such conviction I think I might just believe you. But no, really the modern era started with industrialization in the 1800s.
>>
>>46320457
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_modern_period
>>
File: 1456959430593.jpg (90 KB, 598x539) Image search: [Google]
1456959430593.jpg
90 KB, 598x539
>>46320457
>>46320478
>>46320332
>>46320246
Goddamnit none of these people are me or asking questions about the setting.
>>
File: shen whatever.jpg (54 KB, 723x935) Image search: [Google]
shen whatever.jpg
54 KB, 723x935
>>46320457
>1800s
Nigga they started in -1,000,000,000
>>
I love the aesthetics and technology of the Golden Age of Piracy (mid-17th century to mid-18th century), but I'm one of those fantasyplebs who hates guns and black powder.

If I mash it up with traditional medieval fantasy, is there anything I need to consider? I'm happy to keep medieval cannon, but they'll be rare.
>>
>>46320493
You have given us no prompts other than schizophrenic anachronisms.

Okay, simple question: does Deus Vult?
>>
>>46320493
>Goddamnit none of these people are me or asking questions about the setting.

>Asking questions about the setting

You literally just gave us a blank CK2 map you spent a couple minutes on in paint and said "oh it's real world but split into magic at some point."
>>
>>46320536
Have them use ballista instead of cannons.
>>
>>46320560
Eh at one point I had a more detailed map but a hard drive failure lost it. It had administrative divisions within empires and shit yo.
>>46320542
There is a pope and he lives in Mainz. Christendom outside the HRE doesn't listen to him very much, and the Emperor claims worldy authority over him.

Heres another ten thousand hours in paint map, any conflicts with the first defer to first.
>>
File: timesfucked.png (356 KB, 5146x2631) Image search: [Google]
timesfucked.png
356 KB, 5146x2631
>>46320708
I mean heres a ten thousand hours in paint map. Also maps represent the world 100 years after the even occured.
>>
I'm trying to think about some kind of threat, a large scale threat. It could be an environmental threat, or a technical development or something, that forces people to use BOTH rifles (think about American Civil War rifles) and melee weapons, even large shields that can block bullets
>>
>>46320749

>Carthage out of nowhere
>Alexander is somehow back???
>How did the Byzantines reconquer Italy
>Woah when did the Celestial Empire collapse
>>
>>46320810
Not enough ammunition. The threat, whatever it is has pressed so many people into service many use melee weapons. The British home defense force commissioned 250,000 pikes(never used) in case of a mainland invasion of Britain. The Japanese trained pike suicide squads for the same eventuality.
>>
>>46320810
>guns "and" melee weapons
The only way you're going to be able to justify that is by having exoskeletons or mechs that wield over-sized axes and shit. It would make sense to up the fighter's size when they're fighting hordes of evil <insert thing>, particularly when melee weapons don't require reloading.
>>
>>46320749
>>46320708
Here's your question: explain.
>>
File: 1458836352931.png (425 KB, 841x776) Image search: [Google]
1458836352931.png
425 KB, 841x776
>the stars are in order
>the borders are drawn
>the world has been populated
>the clock has been run until the campaign start
>All that's left is designing characters for your party to interact with

How do you do it? Use the console to give you tons of gold in Crusader Kings 2 and just spam nobles, debutantes and soldiers until your finger bleeds?
>>
File: 1444679020284.jpg (595 KB, 1600x1042) Image search: [Google]
1444679020284.jpg
595 KB, 1600x1042
>>46320810
>large shields that can block bullets

Well, there you go. Some metallurgical development takes place that makes armor much more viable even in the face of firearm advances. Tactics come down to armies maneuvering their large shields across the field, trading fire with the opposing side, and "trench raids" of dudes with melee weapons getting up close and personal. Think pike-and-shot tactics, but even more brutal.
>>
File: 1458523263450.jpg (125 KB, 448x881) Image search: [Google]
1458523263450.jpg
125 KB, 448x881
>>46320857
>Carthage
Pulled from time circia 220 bc, around the time of Hannibals campaign in Hispania. Freed from roman tyranny they have prospered.
>Alexander's Empire
He got over malaria, and his grandson Alexander III rules the empire.
>Byzantine
Its the real deal brother. Pulled from time during hadrians reign.
>Celestial Empire
The Ming collapse in 1650 has devolved into a new warring states period.
>>46320882
An unknown force split the world across time(I was inspired by Time's eye here) and introduced magic and other such fantastical elements into the world.Empires have risen, others weather the storm barely.

For example: The High Kingdom of the North was founded by a man who washed up in Gotland claiming to be Thor, he had a hammer and could teach people how to sling spells. A hundred years of for Odin Jihad and voila!
>>
>>46320952
>Think pike-and-shot tactics, but even more brutal
>even more brutal
Oh fuck.
>>
>>46320977

Wouldn't Carthage, Hadrian-era ERE and Alexander's Empire collapse soon after they're shunted into a far more modern age?

This is like saying Bismarck's Prussia jammed into Europe right now would swiftly become a militaristic superpower.
>>
>>46321071
The most modern states in existence are the former British colonies in america. Nothing sufficiently advanced or powerful enough to sweep the world in a tide of blood.
>>
>>46321140
>Nothing sufficiently advanced or powerful enough to sweep the world in a tide of blood.

Bruh, I don't think you fully appreciate just how powerful a 1066 Holy Roman Empire would be compared to the honest-to-god Carthaginians, or even Alexander.

The Fatimids are going to sweep across Alexander's Empire much like they did the Sassanids, and before long the ERE is going to buckle under the Kingdom of Hungary and Wallachia.
>>
File: 1456444844056.png (160 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1456444844056.png
160 KB, 400x400
>>46321170
I don't think the conflict between medieval era and classical states would be that much of a curb stomp. Sure if the HRE right at the moment of the transition went full muster and invaded the Roman empire they would have a hell of a problem with large numbers of mounted knights but give it time and some pikes and things even out.

Same goes for the Fatimids, by 1066 they weren't exactly at top form of the earlier conquests, I don't think they would be able to just push over Alexander's army.

Also keep in mind things like battle wizards snd clerics exist and are being employed by armies in the setting.
>>
File: 1449980248698.jpg (170 KB, 754x1059) Image search: [Google]
1449980248698.jpg
170 KB, 754x1059
Does your setting have Witch Hunters? Who is there to make sure unsanctioned magic is brought into line, or there to keep sanctioned magic under control?
>>
>>46293132
>would I want to live in my world
That depends on the time period, as well as social standing. Most likely no, it's kind of a fucked up place.
>pick a country
Fotun, the kingdom of the Bloody Dawn.
Government is a quasi-monarchy with religiously appointed leaders, composed of recently united tribes. The leader actually has two titles, one which is basically "Sun King" which is from the religious branch. The other title is essentially "Head Chieftan" as he was the leader of the largest tribe, before they all united.
He is a stern, but noble warrior king, basically "not-sigmar", think "end-times signal and Karl combined".
>are people generally happy?
Well, they are certainly better off than they have been in recent history, but considering that is only because they survived the global disaster that has recently ended, "happy" is relative.

>imports and exports
Weapons are the main import, as they are gearing up for a renewed offensive against the EVIL EMPIRE. They export 1:soliders, as they are the largest local military. And 2: MAGIC STONES

>what kind of army does this country have
Think Europe post rome. Heavy infantry, warrior class, nobles from each clan with the best weapons. This is mixed with local levies recruit from the freemen/farmer class. Further more, the armies are bolster by specialist from the shamans of the tribes, and priest knights from the religious branch.

>the most effective part of the military
Well those priest knights are pretty deadly, the shaman warriors too. But ultimately the heavy warrior nobles are the backbone of the armed forces.

>Who is one of the deadliest warriorso
The King himself. He was a powerful warrior before his "ascension" but now with the powers he has gained from the religious rights, he is all but superhuman.

Hardmode and Dante must die please!
>>
>>46320859
True, if manpower was extremely stretched, and there was some kind of catastrophe, we could see more melee being used.

>>46320878
Yeah, futuristic is one way, I'm thinking of lower tech, but that's a good idea too.

>>46320952
Yeah, that's a good way to do it. Large shields that may or may not be 'retractible' (is that even a word?) when in close combat, to allow for bigger shields against shooting (pavise-like) and smaller or no shields against melee opponents.

The best way to apply this could be 1600s, but I think it would look much much cooler in 1800s, with revolvers and shit.

People could even use some kind of armor, since melee combat is still important
>>
>>46322300
>and who currently has this title
Whoops, missed that one.
That would be Satoris Galasnos, former chieftan of the largest tribe, before the tribes unified. Also heavily implied to be a descendant of the Old Solar Empire's royalty, but no one is really too sure, consider the 500 year magical disaster that collapsed most of civilization and caused huge loss of life.
>>
File: ggggggggggggg.png (214 KB, 3464x2732) Image search: [Google]
ggggggggggggg.png
214 KB, 3464x2732
>>46293132
Sure. Its literally me masturbating with history and living in Hellenistic Babylon would be neat.
>Pick a country in your world
The Kingdom of Virginia
constitutional monarchy. King of the United realm of Virginia. Francis Faquier the Third. Generally considered an able leader and diplomat, patron of the arts, and content with his realm.
Everybody except the slaves.
Import slaves: export tobacco, cotton and rice.
A core of a couple thousand rifleman to be supplemented by militia men in times of war.
Guns do well against armies without them, no battle wizards though.
The elected high king of the north wields the hammer of Thor, which grants extreme prowess in melee combat.

Heres yet another 5 minutes paint map to give a vague idea of the starting points of the time herniation in the Europe.
>>
>>46293132
My current Homebrew world that I'm building.
Ideas and concepts so far.

Comments, criticisms, suggestions are welcome.

"Humans v Orcs v Kobolds"

Tribal orc society based on Native American/Latin American native cultures, mostly Aztec / Mohawk based.

Traditional human nobility based society, castles, cities, farmlands, typical fantasy concepts.

Elves & Dwarves exist in small numbers, primarily live overseas.

Humans follow a "manifest destiny" ideology, backed up by "Elysium", the plane of angels, azata, etc.

Celestials represent Lawfulness/Order.
Celestials support Humans.
Demons represent Chaos/Freedom.
Demons support Orcs.

Kobolds are enslaved by both factions, but are older than both races combined.
Kobolds worship ancient dragons as gods, dragons have been absent for millennia, promising to return.
Kobold society is similar to Pathfinder canon, they love traps, breed en-masse, and are fragile.

Kobolds mostly exist in tunnels, under Human or Orcish slave masters, but independent colonies of Kobolds exist on their own, hidden in the mountains.

Players have the option to start the campaign as one of the three factions.

campaign focuses around war between races, final point focusing on ancient ruin being discovered with a weapon of unknown nature/origin at the center.

factions race to secure it, elemental plane of fire breaches into material plane, as elemental lords seek the weapon.

Mission is to secure weapon/seal rift to plane of fire/defeat enemy factions.

Orcs have modified stats, are significantly more powerful than normal pathfinder orcs, but there are far less of them, humans have numbers advantage.
+4 Str
+2 Con
-2 Cha
-2 Int
Speed 30
Darkvision 60ft
Ferocity (Not Orcish Ferocity, these guys fight until negative CON)
Orcish weapon proficiency
light sensitivity - dazzled in bright light, blinded for 1 round
intimidate/survival are class skills with +1
1d8 racial HD in addition to class levels

All Orcs are +1CR for race.
>>
>>46322839 Continued
Orcs may breed with demons for Tiefling halfbreed orcs, these are extremely powerful and are very rare, only appearing as generals and spiritual leaders.

Orc-Tieflings are as follows:
+6 Str
+2 Dex
+4 Con
+2 Wis

Speed 30
Low Light/Darkvision 60ft
Ferocity - See modified Orc
Orcish weapon proficiency
1d4 Bite
1d4 Claws
+1 Natural Armor
Spell-like ability corresponding to demonic sire, see tiefling variants.
Keen Senses +2 Perception

One random d100 table feature from Tiefling variants.
>>
>>46322300
>if not, why?
Really gotta work on my reading comprehension.
Assuming we are in the realm's "present", there are several reasons I wouldn't want to live in it.
1: War. Not just a skirmish between to nations, we are talking "mobilize everything raise the levies kill all who would oppose us" war.
2: Slavery is commonplace. Slaves being sacrificed in blood rituals is also common.
3: Otherworldly horrors, really nasty stuff. Think "The Nigtlands". Possession is totes a thing that happens.
4: Did I mention the world was still recovering from a giant magicaL disaster? The ruins of the old empire can be seen all over. Basically think "Fall of Rome" mixed with giant magical doom, spread over 500 years
>>
>>46315477

>healing church
>people sacraficing themselves to keep the world going

So you uh, play a lot of Fromsoft games eh
>>
File: 1412083938188.jpg (459 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1412083938188.jpg
459 KB, 1600x1200
Trying to wrap my head around some ideas. Want a second opinion on them. Mostly it's on what races to include in a new setting. For reference I've been thinking on how to combine Hindu, Zorastrian, and Yazidis mythology/philosophy with the idea of Root Races (look it up cuz I don't have room here).

I've got a group of Asgardian motherfuckers meant to replace Dwarves and Elves (Norse flavor, very large and strong, larger than life, masterful craftsmen and warriors, etc). I like these guys so far and what I'm doing with them.

I'd like to have Humans follow a general Aristotelian Elements thing (Fire, Water, Air, Earth), with each element representing a culture, but outside of Greek Earth and Indian Fire, I'm at a loss. I also am not sure whether I wouldn't rather drop humans entirely, or have them be something separate, while using the Elements theme to just have Genasi everywhere.

Going off the Root Races stuff, I'd like to have a "Etheral/Spiritual Race", a "Golden" race (Asgards), a "Lemurian" race (according to Root Race, this would be black people, but since the original stuff said they lived with Dinosaurs I'd prefer either Dragonborn or Saurians of some kind), and an Atlantean race.

I'm sure my thoughts are totally scatter-brained and clusterfucky, but if anyone could help an anon out, I'd be grateful.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>46315477
>world destroyed by ancient catastrophe
>fragment saved by sacrifice from dead/dying gods
>magic is rare
>world is slowly fading
Nigga stop stealing my ideas
>>
>>46324546
>>46324546
I feel like Greek would be better for water, considerng the whole "Mediterranean Sea" deal.
Air could probable be some sort of steppe people, nomads and raiders and all that, the sky is a big thing in those cultures, considering all you have beside FLAT FEATURELESS PLAINS FOR MILESTONE is SKY.
For Earth I figure maybe Gallic culture? You know, druids n shit. Or conversely, if you don't want to go too "Eurocentric" Egypt could also be a good earth choice. All that sand, giant stone monuments, kings entombed in great structures born of earth.
>>
>>46324546
If you're looking at real world cultures for inspiration I would suggest Tibet as a piece of the Air culture if only for it's ritual of sky burial. They also live way high up in the air (built into mountainside) and are nomadic which I think has a bit of an Air culture vibe. Otherwise I'd go with Mongols as horses and open plains are good windy themes too.

For Water it depends on if you want them to simply be a navel power or if you want to get philosophical with it. If the former I suggest just picking a navel power who was at their height around the technology level you are expecting. You can basically choose any sea bordering nation though one example of an uncommonly known navel power is Korea in the mid 1500's who had a very small fleet yet won many battles against the Japanese, fresh out of the Warring States period, through a combination of daring new tactics and knowing their native waters well.

Alternatively, the Water culture could be the one elemental culture without a legit nation. Going back to the Earth elemental = Romans thing they could have taken over the Water culture's lands years prior. Now the Water folk are as all the other people without nations. Not nomads like the Air culture but instead trying to settle and fit their way into the nooks and hollows of other societies.
>>
>>46324912
>I feel like Greek would be better for water
>For Earth I figure maybe Gallic culture?
>Egypt
I know that feel, but I was aiming more for the cthonic qualities of Greek Culture, basically the Archaic stuff from before Classical era. Like, mountaintop temples, underground caverns and shrines, that shit with Hades, Persephone and her mother. Plus I was aiming originally for Greco-Indian stuff, but it's good to keep in mind the Water angle.

I've used Gaelic way too often. I did the same once with Rome and my players got sick of it quick. The Egyptian idea is pretty good though. I wonder if I can use that, but set it in a different environment (deserts are a bit rarer/more remote in-setting).

>Air could probable be some sort of steppe people
Not a bad idea. I worry it's been used a lot before, but since I can't think of a specific example I can probably roll with this.

>>46324995
>Air
I'd like to avoid Tibet since Last Airbender made that so iconic.
>Water
This...is a lot of good points. While I like the Korean idea, I'm very afraid I wouldn't do it justice. It's just not an era I'm as familiar with. I do like the Nomad angle though! Every setting needs at least one, in my opinion.

Would any of these do better as Human or Demihuman races?
>>
File: Ainwae map inkarnate.jpg (789 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Ainwae map inkarnate.jpg
789 KB, 1024x768
As of the present, possibly- they are well on their way to passing their Renaissance era, and one country in particular (though unfortunately being the Drow nation) have created gunpowder, so modernization is sure to come. Plus it's pretty noble bright so plenty of fun for adventure.

The United Orcish Clans of Krepstrana
Stratocracy, run by the military. The ruling leader has the title of Warlord, currently owned by the daughter of the recently deceased previous Warlord. Her name is Hundira Rex, who while thirsty for battle and glory, is rather level headed and tactical. She will make a good leader, in time.
They're happier than before, when all the clans constantly fought themselves. Since being united by Mordekai of clan Avalon 413 years ago, they've become a strong nation and the military might of Ainwae's version of the UN- the Bannered Five.
Exports are weapons crafted from superior orcish steel, folded a thousand times and serrated cruelly, along with mercenary forces. They live in a small cramped area of arid mountains, and do not have many resources aside from a small patch of marsh where they can harvest crops and fish. Most everything else needs to be imported.
It is a conscripted army made of those drafted. Many orcs will remain in service and raise through the ranks as professional soldiers or military politicians, while others might join the paladin corps. They are very effective in both mounted cavalry and overwhelming numbers.
The most legendary is Marcus, the first Psion. Missing since the chaos wars 413 years ago.
>>
File: 1459000657378.jpg (790 KB, 890x1046) Image search: [Google]
1459000657378.jpg
790 KB, 890x1046
/tg/ im writing up a world now for an upcoming game (and some writing on the side), but im struggling to mesh two themes i've been wanting to conjoin.

The idea is a nation / culture that is a mix of arthurian knights and vikings and im not quite sure how to resolve it organically. One thought is that the culture is advancing from its more "barbaric" heritage into a more "civilised" nation.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.
Help me /tg/ you're my only hope.
>>
>>46325444
You should take the idea of the sky burial for the air culture, though. Maybe their priestly orders could build their holy places at great altitudes, with people making pilgrimages to places comparable to Machu Picchu. The head priests could don great, majestically embroidered, flowing sky blue copes with Buddhist-inspired white robes beneath it all.

For the earth culture, perhaps you could also take inspiration from Mesopotamian cultures, maybe mesh them with Egyptian. Maybe, in terms of natural landscape, the Grand Canyon or the heartland deserts of Australia could be of inspiration. The ancient Nabataean city of Petra could also be of great inspiration for an earth-borne culture.
>>
>>46325636
Mutual respect. One part of the culture prefers old traditions and will follow them while the other embraces advancements in their nation and is more "civilized". Out of mutual respect they just each other live as they are while following the same laws, save for a few cases, with cases of mix and match cities/towns/prefectures/whatever who created a half-n-half culture of the two.
>>
>>46326031
What could cause that to occur though?

Two distinct cultures merging like that.
>>
>>46326082
Well a leader who both sides respects rising to power, perhaps the leader being born half viking half arthurian knight, political marriage, mutual enemy which then allows the two earn respect for each other.
>>
File: 1413492346450.jpg (76 KB, 417x600) Image search: [Google]
1413492346450.jpg
76 KB, 417x600
I just created a world map in GIMP using the random generation method described for photoshop (mutatis mutandis). Two questions:

1. I colored the landmasses green, but I also want to make a gradual transition into other colors for certain areas (steppes and deserts). How do I do this?

2. How do I create (national) borders without them looking like big, ugly lines that belong in a program like paint?
>>
>>46326170
1. You just have to keep changing the color slowly for small parts (as far as i know).
2. Find somebody with parkinson's to draw them for you.

On a more serious note make the first drafts roughly and then try to draw around cities, mountains, rivers and such to make it more natural.
>>
>>46326218
>cities, mountains, rivers
Shit, you made me realize I don't have those either. I have a lot to work on.
>>
I'd like to think its a nice place, Noble Bright with some way to make your name rise to the lips of kings without killing people.
The Kingdom of Cillian
Monarchy with an assembly of noble houses and advisors. Ruled by King Erec of House Cardon, descended from a long line of warriors he's more of a diplomat and scholar than a warrior.
Yes, despite the constant threat of beast and dragon attacks Cillian is showing signs of improving its economic standing
Exports ore and timber. Imports grains
The Dragon Knights of Cillian, they use equipment styled or use parts of dragons. Some even have dragon mounts, their purpose is to keep the plague of dragons in their nation and neighboring ones under control and will do missions for foreign countries to exterminate particularly dangerous dragons and beasts. When at war they function as a division of the Cillian Army.
Hunt Corps, not necessarily effective but more prestigious as they hunt abroad while the Defender Corps defends the trade routes and settlements.
Prince Rey of Rowena
>>
rate my orcs, /tg/

>boar-men
>created by demon wizards by fucking around with boar genome to make humanoid soldiers, results didn't prove to be loyal
>copious amounts of body hair (fur?) on arms, neck, ears, back
>two pairs of tusks developed during adolescence (speaking Common is hard, but doable)
>hunched back because of strong neck and shoulder muscles
>light brown to dark grey skintone with dark brown to black fur/hair (newborns have striped fur)
>taller & stronger than the average human
>women up to 1 ft taller than men, heavier set
>live innawoods in underground burrows
>use slash-and-burn farming (primarily beets, potatoes, more beets, plantains, even more beets) and get really pissy if outsiders enter their clan's territory (murdering human lumber workers and stringing their corpses up on trees is a regular occurance)
>adolescent boys need to leave the burrow and live on their own (or in groups of no more than 4) for a year to be considered Real Men and re-accepted into the clan
>those who fail are banned from the clan and generally opt to leave the forests to make a living among humans
>>
File: 1442191306981.jpg (2 MB, 1986x2709) Image search: [Google]
1442191306981.jpg
2 MB, 1986x2709
>>46293132
>>Would you want to live in your world? If not, why? Definitely not. The whole place is pretty medieval.
>>Pick a country in your world: The kingdom of Nordlicht
King Albert Von Dreivitz II is a nice enough guy, just his hands are tied when it comes to matters of state
Commoners are mostly serfs suffering from famine conditions with no sical mobility, so no.
Imports: foodstuffs and artisan goods. Exports: furs, mineral materials, timber and at one point a metric shit ton of salt
The nation is currently a buffer region for the rest of the human world that holds the undead menace at bay, so there's a grand coalition present to keep things nice and secure
Probably the knights of the order of the radiant sun, the personal military arm of the church of the holy light.
Probably Joachim Marquist, the last baron of what was formerly known as whitepeak island, the source of the lion's share of Nordlicht's (and by extension the human world's) salt. He's a vampire these days and once waged a war with his undead army that nearly eradicated humanity.
>>
>>46326673
good
>>
File: 1445392408538.jpg (20 KB, 476x312) Image search: [Google]
1445392408538.jpg
20 KB, 476x312
>>46326673
Do they buhi?
>>
File: 48e.png (359 KB, 662x450) Image search: [Google]
48e.png
359 KB, 662x450
>>46325636
There's something of a historical precedent to the idea you're suggesting from the Christian conversion of the Vikings in Danelaw as part of the peace agreement between them and the kingdom of Wessex.

Saxons are a little bit after the period of Arthurian legend, but I'm sure it might help you characterize your vikings at least. If nothing else, you might come to appreciate why Alfred earned his epithet of "the great".
>>
>>46327278
what does that mean
>>
>>46321938
Magic is a learned science and skill of varying capacity. One faction has extensive training, regulation and licensing. It can be likened to how modern day chemists and medical professionals are licensed and regulated. A rouge mage within this faction's reach will need to contend with SWAT with trained mages, warriors and dragons.

The rest of the known world has more of the "traditional" control system which includes hunters and centralized organizations. These are largely localized groups though without wide-range cooperation or cohesion.
>>
>>46327731
what about azure mages? or verde ones?
>>
>>46324434
>people sacrificing themselves to keep the world going

The Aztec believed they had to sacrifice people to the Sun God because otherwise the world would end.

Because the Sun God was fucking DEAD trying to save Humanity and the continual infusion of blood was all that kept it going.
>>
>>46293132
Nope, I'd either be used as a human sacrifice to Skuxuk gods which involves being used as live giant bug or forced into a life of poverty in a dark, dirty city with the only way out being military service. All that being said it could also be really nice if I was put into a chill island or something like that but considering the majority of the world is fucked I'd rather not take my chances on it.

>Pick a country in your world: Qrikan's Garden
It doesn't have one single ruler, it's run by a
religious council with one high priest representing each of the tribes. But the council members themselves are alright, they just focus on keeping raiders out of their territory and keeping the borders of their holy land away from Edkutian raids and invasions.
Most of them are happy, as long as their holy lands are safe, there's food on the table and human sacrifices for the gods then they don't have a problem, however some of the more extremist warrior tribes want to invade Edkutian land for their constant attacks and raids into Qrikan's Garden.
Their exports would be a lot of medicine, herbs and potions as well as lots of food and building materials. They have no concept of money so they only trade for other items.
The only things they import on a frequent and large scale are slaves to be used in sacrifices and other religious rituals.
-->What kind of army does this country have? -- Their army is very small and disorganised, each tribe controls their own private army and the quality of that army and it's equipment varies greatly depending on the tribe they're from, most armies consist of only priests and magicians. The Skuxuk have never invaded anyone so their warriors are only used to defend their borders.
>>
>start creating world
>super excited, come up with all the core concepts and characters quickly
>get to the details
>feel bogged down and unmotivated, stop
>move onto new setting
Anyone else?
>>
>>46329504
I'm the opposite. I do all the other stuff, and enjoy the hell out of it, then stall on the characters.
>>
File: 1452529539914.jpg (112 KB, 572x303) Image search: [Google]
1452529539914.jpg
112 KB, 572x303
Lads, I need your advice on something, I'm trying to design a Scandinavian nation with a major focus on metallurgy, and with a reputation for exceptionally fine metal goods (especially their blades, armor and jewelry.) The topic of ore came up while I did my research, and now I'm trying to figure out a "cool" way they could acquire the ore beyond simply digging it out of the ground.

Which one of these sounds the most interesting?

>The iron accumulates within the bark of certain trees, which is stripped, shredded, smoked and refined to isolate the iron particulates, in the process adding just the right amount of carbon and useful alloying elements
>Similar to above, only replace the trees with tubers or roots (like potatoes or carrots) that are planted in areas of confirmed mineral-rich veins
>Massive worms that consume mineral-rich soil and process the iron as waste pellets, binding it with carbon before being excreted, coated in a foul-smelling lubricant that can be found by pigs, much like truffles
>Giant filter-feeders that, much like the worms, treat the metal as a waste product, producing "hordes" of gold, silver and steel pellets deposited within hollows carved out by the filter feeder
>Some combination of the first and third, with the worms gnawing on the mineral-rich roots of special trees for that delicious tree food, in the process excreting the iron and other minerals as useful pellets
>They get the ore the usual way, it's just exceptionally pure in their region, and their metallurgical tradition allows them to exploit this to the best of their ability said metallurgical tradition coming from techniques copied by the Moon Elves, using magically-operated electric arc furnaces to smelt the metal and add a little bit of magic into the steel.
>>
>>46329614
>then stall on the characters.

See >>46320941
>>
File: 1458082466464.png (144 KB, 380x304) Image search: [Google]
1458082466464.png
144 KB, 380x304
Please explain to me how steppes work. What geographical/climate traits do they usually have? What are they like in terms of rivers etc.? Other than them mostly being flat, featureless land I don't know a lot about how steppes "work".
>>
>>46320749
What in the name of the holy fuck is going on in North America?
>>
What sorts of factions would come to exist in the immediate wake of a zombie apocalypse? My players may or may not have set one off in modern-day Texas. The military/government is an obvious one (possibly even split), there's a biker gang turned Rangers... What else might be good? Minor groups are accounted for, I mean major players.
>>
>>46293132
Oh yes. Definitely.

Ieydorian Confederation
Government is a military oligarchy. The Twelve Blades govern their territories/provinces and have other vassals beneath their rule. However, they answer to the Lord Commander, the leader-elect of the Council of Blades who rules from the capital of Strathmoore. The current Lord Commander is Alistair Cromwell, Defender of the People. He is best described as 'tough, but fair', with little to no nonsense for empty words and hollow praise.
Perhaps happy isn't the right word to use as much as optimistic is. Hardy folk, they acknowledge the
harsh times without giving into despair.
Raw ore, lumber and a growing fishing industry dominate the exports. Grain and other agricultural products of the like are imported in bulk due to a majority soil being incapable of sustaining crop of the like.
Each Blade has a standing army that specializes in different styles of combat depending on the region. Lord Edmund Goodyre of the Jurian Plains specializes in rapid-response cavalry, while Lady Jalyne Ventris of the Boreal Veil commands a host of heavy infantry. Of course, 'specialization' does not mean exclusive, as the Lords are capable of fielding other types of units on the field as well.

When the Lord Commander raises the banners of war, the Blades must muster at last half of their forces and march to the rallying point.

Prince Emeron II, Crown Prince of the Aderaveth Empire
>>
>>46330380

>doomsday christian cults trying to prepare for rapture
>survivalists going full rambo
>a PMC hired by the government gone rogue
>mexican migrants fleeing from the plague in their homeland
>self-defense citizen militias
>a commitee of scientists that broke away from the government trying to find a cure
> self-aware zombies
>UN-peacekeeping missions helping to restore order, often at odds with the local powers
> texan secessionists and neo-confederates taking the chance to write a glorious new chapter in the history of the Republic of Texas
>redneck refugees
>>
File: topview.jpg (97 KB, 550x648) Image search: [Google]
topview.jpg
97 KB, 550x648
Is there anywhere I can find floor plans of medieval buildings?

I'm mostly finding castles and fantasy maps. I'm after common structures like hall houses and (real) inns.
>>
>>46330592
I like 'em. Not a plague so a few don't work. But like' em regardless.
>>
>>46331526
Just ask the amish
>>
I'm making a world in which the 'sun' is actually a giant phoenix egg in the sky. Soon after the start of the PCs adventures the egg is going to hatch, and 7 small phoenix gods will emerge, one for each color of the rainbow. The shards of the egg will circle the sky, with each shining the color of the phoenix god that touched it.

Now, my question for /wbg/ is twofold:
>What sort of effects would colored light have the environment?
>What sort of effects would colored light have on humans and their society?
>>
>>46333563

The Gay Warlocks will finally have the power to infect the world with the gay, turning all women into fit 13-year old boys.
>>
File: World.png (960 KB, 1442x1190) Image search: [Google]
World.png
960 KB, 1442x1190
Can I get some feedback on this continent/largelandmass map plz?
>>
>>46334803

The delta you've got going in the lower-right is too big, and the islands wouldn't really make sense being there.

The little natural harbor you've got going on in the lower central isn't going to be as lucrative as you might think it will; that island is going to force ships into a bottleneck most captains really don't want to bother with.

What's with the river-lake-river thing you've got in the lowerish left of the continent? The weird-ass fork in the middle of those two major rivers?

What's going on with that river-lake+mountain in the middle right? That doesn't really make sense.
>>
>>46333563

Well, unless there's some gaps between the light shining down, it's going to be a very arid world due to constant exposure. Even then, it's likely to be a pretty dry place. Deciduous plants probably wouldn't exist; instead, they would likely evolve various moisture-conserving traits like the spines and waxy coating of cacti.

Animals would have to evolve to the constant changing light through adapting their eyes to certain wavelengths. Perhaps some predators thrive in certain lighting conditions and retreat during others.
>>
File: Abusing daily use limits.webm (2 MB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
Abusing daily use limits.webm
2 MB, 852x480
What are some examples of large-scale magic?
I'm looking for spells or effects that are somewhat outrageous for a single individual to be able to cast.
>IE: A top-tier Wizard can summon 4, 40-ft radius meteorites to strike a target. In comparison, a large-scale spell can mimic a thermonuclear detonation that destroys a 10-mile wide radius sphere
>>
>>46335291
Earthquakes are a good one. There's also conjuring massive storms both on land and on sea. Mass conjuration of undead, popping up entire forests, mass invisibility for an entire army, teleporting a city, creating a disease so powerful and easily spread that it more or less kills an entire nation in a day, fucking up the day and night cycle by simply rotating the planet faster, freezing time is always a good one, turning an entire ocean to ice, creating mountains, mass illusions, mass mind sweeps, stopping the entire planet, creating a perfect sandwich that is not too large nor too small and has just the right ratio of meat, vegetables and bread.
>>
>>46334912
Thanks for the info on the Delta, will shorten that.

Could you explain what I'm doing wrong on the islands?

That little natural harbor is fine believe it or not, the inhabitants of this place are a lot smaller than us, so the ships would be smaller. I intended for it to be a stronghold not a major port or anything. If you still find problems with that let me know and I'll see if I can adjust.

As for that river-lake-river and the weird fork, its all part of a canal system that would needs to be fleshed out a bit.

That "mountain" in the middle of the lake isn't actually a mountain, if you get my drift.
>>
File: ball-lightning.jpg (37 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
ball-lightning.jpg
37 KB, 500x381
>>46335541
Wizards can already "freeze" time, using transmutation to compress 30 seconds into a nanosecond.
Terraforming and magic storms sound good.

How could I describe a "manastorm"? Ball lightning with a seemingly-random, fluctuating aurora?
>>
>>46335701
Hurricane level winds, ball lightning and normal lightning, an Aurora flashing across the sky, hugging the underneath or just behind the clouds, nearing tunguska level devastation, and a noise, some kind of... "wrong" sound that comes just before, something that lets you know shit is about to get fucked, and it fades in and out during the shitstorm where the fluctuation levels of power rise and fall. You can have some really weird and dangerous shit happening in those areas because of it.

This is my kinda manastorm.
>>
>>46335291

I had one somewhat weak wizard condensing lots of matter into very small point with some weird magic, by rolls it ended up with ever so growing black hole.

You might call it outrageous.
I call it new fucking campaign and very pissed off GM.
>>
>>46335942
That's one of the strongest spells a Wizard can do in this setting. The spell rips a 20-ft radius maelstrom in reality that sends whatever it sucks in to a random elemental plane. The spell only lasts 6 seconds, so it's not that dangerous.
>>
File: tsv1-1p3-650x965.jpg (261 KB, 650x965) Image search: [Google]
tsv1-1p3-650x965.jpg
261 KB, 650x965
https://twitter.com/ctrlcreep/status/670537911045984256
>>
>>46335291
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Random
Click this until you get something fun to replicate magically.
>>
>http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/True_Illusion
This could be interesting. Maybe it transports the caster and the subject to a temporary demiplane, where the caster has control over the demiplane's initial layout, features, and appearance.
Would be an interesting ability to allow ultra-powerful beings to duke it out without harming their surroundings.
>>
File: 1458229225289.jpg (134 KB, 980x1550) Image search: [Google]
1458229225289.jpg
134 KB, 980x1550
>>46330058
Time has been mish mashed a la time's eye but in a more controlled way.

On the east coast in the Caribbean you have former colonies established as independent states, in central and south america the empires and city states were never toppled and have had time to prosper.

The yellow bit around the great lakes is the Iroquois confederacy. The light blue bits are Norse colonies.
>>
>>46335105

The world is more a plane than a planet, so I was thinking that as the shells meander in the skies they would occasionally flip over to a dark side that doesn't shed light, to simulate night and day and to have only one color shine at a time. The plane is afflicted by a curse of thick cloud cover and rain, wild ocean tides, and giant monster infestations, so I really like the idea of animals adapting to colored lights. I had an idea of a sort of 'blood moon', where the red shard woke sleeping monsters or sent animals into a frenzy. I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for every color of shard, though, which is why I came to this thread.
>>
>>46293132
Would you want to live in your world? If not, why?
I would love to visit, but I would never live there. Considering it's a world for gaming in, there's a lot of awful stuff going on and my weak constitution doesn't agree with dysentery or sharp pieces of metal.
The Heldaen Empire
Electoral Monarchy. Upon the death of the previous Emperor, the nobles congregate and elect one of their number to become the next Emperor for life. It usually ends up being the son of the previous Emperor, but the most recent one is a bit of an upset.
>What is the title of the ruler, and who currently has this title?
The reigning Emperor is Thorvir "Blackboots" Edvaldsson, properly known as "His Imperial Majesty Thorvir Edvaldsson, Emperor of Helion and High King of the Daens".
Thorvir is ambitious to say the least. His platform is built on a return to traditional Daen values of honourable warfare and egalitarianism among his people. He is also a raging nationalist and Daen supremacist and believes it is his divine right to conquer and rule the entire continent.
Despite his quirks, he is a competent ruler. Upon his election his first order of business was to put his house in order, which prompted a brief civil war in which concluded with Thorvir personally executing eight mutinous nobles while simultaneously pardoning the men who fought under them.
On the whole, yes. The average citizen currently enjoys a large amount of autonomy, and trade has improved. National pride is at an all time high as well. Thralldom has recently been brought back, but it's better than other forms of slavery.

>What are the major imports/exports
Heldaen exports timber, silver, copper, tin, arms and armour, wool, cloth, beer and mead.
Imports include gunpowder, steel, spices, wine, distilled liqours, and luxury goods.

Continued -->
>>
>>46338402
Continued

>What kind of army does this country have
The new Emperor has issued a decree that every lord must equip and train no less than 1/3rd of the male population under their stewardship. Equipment can be as little as shoving a pike in someones hand, but nobles are given tax exemptions for supplying better equipment. Women are allowed to join, but are not subject to the 1/3rd rule. All Daens are culturally expected to be proficient in some form of martial combat, which means that the homefront is always secure.

The Emperor's personal guard: the Einherjar. They typically fight as heavy infantry armed with two-handed axes, but are able to fight on horseback if need be.
>>
File: 1456980924832.gif (47 KB, 306x469) Image search: [Google]
1456980924832.gif
47 KB, 306x469
>>46329712

P-Please respond.
>>
>>46329712
>>46338882
You have to consider how they discovered the ore, not how they currently gather it.
Waste pellets serving as basic ingots would be exceptionally convenient for them.

Seems like you should be focusing on how they process the iron/steel/fantasy metal, not how they gather it. They'll probably need your setting's equivalent of a power hammer, etc.
>>
>>46339061
Should elaborate; my setting's Dwarves are skilled metalworkers and smiths due to having access to geothermal forges and a surplus of a naturally heat-resistant metal called Iridium.
>>
>>46329712
I don't know the first thing about metallurgy, but I have to admit that there's a certain appeal in logging for your iron and steel.
I find it more interesting than picking roots out of the ground or sifting through waste material, personally.
>>
>>46329712
Collect the blood of enemies, heat it to 2862 °C and distill the iron from the vapors.
>>
File: 1446227794678.png (82 KB, 336x347) Image search: [Google]
1446227794678.png
82 KB, 336x347
>>46339061
>Seems like you should be focusing on how they process the iron/steel/fantasy metal, not how they gather it.

I've already got how they process it, I just needed a decently interesting way on how they gathered it.

It's really just a case of shockingly modern refining techniques coupled with genuinely good blacksmiths.

You'd be amazed how much of a blacksmith's art was dedicated to turning shitty iron into okay steel, once you develop a technique to get top-quality steel consistently, most of your art can be dedicated to fixing up the gear. Hell, remember the whole "folding" thing for blades? That was *always* a bad way to handle your steel, and was only done because they needed to improve their poor quality metal.

The ideal blade was seamless from start to finish... Maybe case-hardened, but that doesn't involve folding.

>>46339209

I've been reading some college textbooks on the subject and the sheer variety of steel is honestly quite incredible, the "perfect" sword is probably made out of 5160 Steel, which is .7% Chromium, .3% Silicon and .60% Carbon. There's a lot that go into what makes or breaks a material.
>>
What is a good alternative title to Knight for a Norse/High German based culture, is Ritter going to be the only option?
>>
>>46340176
>What is a good alternative title to Knight for a Norse/High German based culture

What about "Vaugn", a corruption of "Von?"

Norse had the Thanes, that could work.
>>
>>46319516
Oh shit wasn't there that one story about players who decided to run a salt mine instead of adventuring? I'm blanking on the name right now though
>>
>>46340351
>I'm blanking on the name right now though

Saltspit.
>>
I want to have an undead civilization in my game. How should I go about it? I'd like being undead to be a PC option mostly.

Anyone here seen a well done Undead Civ?
>>
File: 1432850018327.gif (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1432850018327.gif
6 KB, 200x200
>>46341446
>Anyone here seen a well done Undead Civ?

Turn them into introspective, philosophical Byzantines. They're the remnants of a decayed empire that have turned their attentions inward, focusing on matters of the mind and soul since they're now able to devote literally 24 hours a day to it.

As for the PC option? Use this and remove the alignment restrictions: http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/necropolitan.shtml
>>
>>46293132
Not sure. There's plenty of cool stuff to do, but it's more dangerous, and there's a language barrier to moving very far from your homeland.

Daunhom, only prominent Skaven domain
Skaven cultural and civil systems are based off of necromancy in the same way that Classical China was based off Confucianism. They are ruled at the top by a council of "liches", only in quotes because central to skaven death-worship is that one should, eventually, die, and temporary lichdom is seen more as an optional sacrament an an opportunity to study more necromancy or whatever other pursuit than the end-goal. Members of this council serve as long as they wish, and if they choose to step down a moot of prominent individuals in the society elects a replacement from among themselves. A coalition of four councilors can force all five to immediately resign.
In their own way, yes.
Mushrooms, runestones and potions, luxury jewel- and metalwork
>-->What kind of army does this country have?
Skeletons. Lots of skeletons.
>-->What is the most effective part of it?
That'd have to be the skeletons.

This Tiefling mercenary named Xiat. Everywhere he worked, people would later tell stories of all the crazy shit they had seen him do, but he never used his real name so when he went somewhere else he was always unknown. By the time he had taken control of several Orc tribes by beating their chiefs in ritual combat, people started to piece it together. When he died, he used all the unspent killing power from the foes he'd defeated over the years to ascend to godhood, but the nature of godhood this is hard to confirm.
>>
>>46341544
Hey now that's peachy keen right there!

Would they have a mortal underclass, or would everything be undead? Also...what sort are they? I really want intelligent skeletons, but not necessarily spellcasters.
>>
File: 161-610x635.jpg (56 KB, 610x635) Image search: [Google]
161-610x635.jpg
56 KB, 610x635
>>46342025
>Would they have a mortal underclass, or would everything be undead? Also...what sort are they? I really want intelligent skeletons, but not necessarily spellcasters.

Mostly like pic related, I think.

They're not making an effort to lose their flesh, but they're not really keeping it preserved either.
>>
>>46295631
Most powerful bank is probably the Niemsat, controlled by this weird race called the Grigrun. Haven't much fleshed out the specifics of financial systems.

Barter is fairly common, most widely used currency is probably Dwarven coinage, but that is by no means in the majority even.

Magic is common enough that most people know it exists, but it's so varied and oftentimes weird that most people want nothing to do with it. Not that you couldn't use it to, say, improve crop yields, but you'd be ostracized if anyone found out. Teleportation specifically is fairly difficult, requiring either very specific circumstances or very esoteric techniques.

>>46342024 touches on Skaven's death-worship, pic related is basically alchemists' Cabala, vampiric occult has something called "deep flesh-consciousness", Draconic theology is basic all strange, a snakefolk race believe they're made of water from one of the five rivers flowing through their home valley (somewhat literally) and treat which river you belong to like an astrological sign ramped to 11.
>>
>>46342515
>pic related
>no pic
jusd fugg my shid ub senpai
>>
>>46297091
>Is it a gift from the gods? Is mana the residual energenies from the creation of reality? Is it the manipulation of spirits, spillover from other realms, or something else entirely? Does the planet your setting takes place in produce the energies of magic as naturally as it does precious stones, or is magic something entirely otherworldly?
Yes.

>Are they born with a gift? Does it require decades of research and the studying of specific formulae and incantations, or does it come as a second nature to those who possess it. Who CAN wield it?
Maybe

>Tell me about your magic systems
pic related, not even the people in-setting know what the fuck is up with it.
>>
>>46300654
>CK2
>accurately generating or representing anything
go to bed johan
>>
>>46343350

It's the most comprehensive look into feudalism that a campaign will ever need. Anything more advanced than CK2 will just go over the players heads.
>>
>>46301619
Well, the Illithids were essentially the first race native to the planet to have a civilization, and they never really fell, but aren't really a major power. Plus, they were ascended by ancient aliums, and I'm not sure if you want to distinguish between "elder races" and a precursor race.

The Kobolds are basically China and have always been a power at one time or another, but it can be argued whether the current empire is a continuation of the Celestial Kingdom (their name for their first recorded civ), or a successor state several times over.

But I have enough history written that I could easily run a game while the Giants, High Elves, snake-folk, or whoever else are at the height of their golden ages.
>>
>>46343411
I disagree. Even if you don't want to go into too much detail, it doesn't make sense if every feudal society in the world has identical feudal systems.

>Anything more advanced than CK2 will just go over the players heads
What? I would hope that you play with people smart enough to easily grasp Baron < Count < Duke < King < Emperor. You can afford to mix things up at least a little from that, surely?
>>
>>46341544
Tomb kings from warhammer are a pretty good undead civ. They aren't associated with darkness and decay, and they aren't trying to turn the world into an undead kingdom. They have the drive of a living nation, and seek to return to their golden age.
>>
>>46343612
Do you understand there's a lot more to a feudal system than a static ranking system? And have you ever actually played CK2? It doesn't sound like it.
>>
>>46295631
>banks
The imperial treasury. There are smaller private banking guilds but most of them are invite only due to their high income locations, better more personal treatment of clientele, and social atmosphere/community of the upper class. the imperial treasury provides enough benefits for the average normie though
>religion
kind of like greek mythology. the divines are more or less a family that live on another plane and act like regular mortals. Each one has a designated "topic" that they are associated with and a time of year. if you are born under their "sign" then you are encouraged to seek work that is associated with your divine for the best fortune of work.
>magic
in a hotter part of the world aquamancers have the ability to create a stone that conjures nutrient filled water. if you swallow this stone, you basically are living on a more substantial IV, thus eliminating the need for food, thus crippling the agriculture industry.
>biggest ocean
haven't named it. its not really worth crossing. as far as the world is concerned. what with them thinking the world is flat with an end point
>>
File: political-Base.png (706 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
political-Base.png
706 KB, 1000x500
>>46295631
The Worldwide Ocean is unbroken by any continents for two thirds of the planet's circumference, creating an utterly uncrossable stretch of sea. Even in the modern age of steam power, no ship can survive long enough to navigate across it, because it's eternally wracked by storms and unweakened by any land in their way. These storms continually crash into the eastern coast of the Carthacian Supercontinent(center), rendering it all but uninhabitable from the coast to the Great Spinal Mountain Range that runs up its center.
>>
>>46344184
>Do you understand there's a lot more to a feudal system than a static ranking system?
I was describing CK2 there.

>And have you ever actually played CK2?
Yes. Not as much as I've played other Paradox titles, but I definitely have a competent understanding of the mechanics. And I know it well enough to know that, when it comes to worldbuilding, it's useless for anything beyond finding inspiration and doing the most basic of fleshing out. It's fun enough as a game, but it very much demonstrates Paradox's current philosophy: it's not a historical game, it's a game set in a historical period.
>>
>>46338882
How does it not get destroyed by oxidation?
>>
File: 4496895504_744b669861_b (1).jpg (358 KB, 1024x738) Image search: [Google]
4496895504_744b669861_b (1).jpg
358 KB, 1024x738
As far as background themes and plots go, what would make an early modern (Let's say 1500 to 1800) setting different from a medieval setting?

Y'know aside from the obvious like a freshly collapsed super empire, northern pagan barbarians, chivalry, the inevitable fantasy gunpowder taboo, the mysterious western sea, etc.
>>
>>46346465
The rise of merchant powers, e.g. the Hanseatic League

Religious schism, like the Protestant Reformation and the Wars of Religion

Absolute monarchy vs constitutional monarchy

Divine right of kings against newer thinking

Advances in science slowly going against what the Church was thinking, like Galileo and astronomy
>>
>>46346508
I was thinking of having a major event being a colossal religious clusterfuck war like the 30 Years War crossed with the Crusades and Aztec conquest. Like a primitive world war. All the different religions fight it out with the best mystics and saints supporting their respective side. People get killed for everything from witchcraft to human sacrifice. And rulers have actual near-godlike powers. After the dust settles a new scientific philosophy fills the void (like how Confucianism & the 100 other philosophies were born from the warring states period) which concludes that religion and the paranormal is the cause of all mankind's woes. It starts off nobly enough but degrades into blatant terrorism in the name of scientism. Point being that people can and will find any reason to be assholes to each other.
>>
>>46346642
So you want to move the enlightenment up a century or two? Sounds fun.
>>
>>46341446
I have only done one. An ancient undead city made by a pact with a god of death. The dead could be taken there to explore the purpose of life, but they may never leave. It's located deep underground in a great cavern, with a large underground river leading to it. Around it is a decrepit shanty town made by the living seeking the secrets of the dead. From this place did the arcane practise of Necromancy, or The Art of the Dead, emerge. Undead aren't really a playable option and the cities existence in regarded as nothing more than legend.
>>
Where does the magic of your world stem from if it even has any.
>>
>>46348898

the e-Grid, just like energy from The Culture.

It's suggested divine magic is drawn from a similar source, powered by Faith.
>>
>>46348898
The crossover of dimensions/Astral Realm. It's basically not-Spelljammer with more magical cosmic shenanigans.
>>
>>46310763
Can I bump this and not have to discuss studded leather?
>>
>>46349627
What the fuck are you even asking?
>>
>>46305677
bumping this question.
>>
>>46350547
Fishing for fashion ideas that feel fantasy but still make sense
>>
>>46349627
It's hard to answer what you're asking. You're essentially saying "what would the fashion be in a world where armor matters very little?" and the answer is basically anything you feel like at that point. The most I can give you personally is maybe some clothing sewn out of a fantasy material of similar strength to steel so that the wearer isn't bogged down by heavy chainmail but has the same protection.
>>
>>46345027
You're pretending that CK2 only shows you a static ranking system for gentry and nothing else. There's a lot more to feudalism than that, and CK2 includes and gives a feel for a lot it.

Obviously, CK2 is a huge oversimplification, but for a group of players that are not hugely interested in intrigue and real world history, using CK2 levels of sophistication is fine. If your group is made of history buffs, more power to them, and like you said, CK2 would probably be too simplistic as a reference for degree of sophistication.

CK2 does give an uniformed person a good 'feel' for feudalism though, even if it is simplified and forgoes with many details. It can be hard to grasp how all the various elements of a feudal society interact with each other. Vassalship, systems of inheritance, dealing with marriage and all its political consequences, law and centralization, dealing with competing factions at court, using inheritance claims as cassus belli, unifying crowns, dealing with siblings who are also rulers of rival kingdoms and how that interweaves with the inheritance issues, raising armies and making war within the limits of a feudal system, etc.

There's a lot of complexity in CK2, and for an average D&D game that's mostly about dungeon crawling, it really is sufficient. If your argument is 'my game is not an average game, so we prefer more complexity,' that's totally fine.
>>
>>46350599
You'd probably be better off just looking at pictures of fantasy characters and stealing ideas from that. Your world sounds like it's not really bound to anything historical, so pretty much anything goes. Just go on pinterest or google images and search for fantasy characters.
>>
Can bards and minstrels actually make a living in your setting?
>>
I'm building a region in my world where 4 bastard brothers are fighting each other for control. They each control their own small kingdom and, personality wise, I'm basing their personality off the 4 humors. I'm trying to think about how their kingdoms will reflect their personality, either in quality of life, legal code, or otherwise. All have an almost identical culture. The geography is mostly the same; temperate forests and plains with rivers in between. It's mostly a lowland area, so the most there are is some hills. One of the four is landlocked and has no access to a harbor. So /wbg/, what are some ways I can distinguish these nations from each other besides the personalities of their rulers?
>>
What weird organizations does your setting have?
>>
>>46350830
>>46351017
I'm gonna answer these at the same time

In my setting, there are many different ways to cast the same spell, each resulting in a different flair to the spell. For example, if you cast fireball using only verbal components, your fireball might emit from your mouth while if you did it with a material component like a dragon's scale, the fireball may take the form of a dragon.

Well, at one point in my setting, before the witch hunts started, there was a bard's college that specialized in magic. The organization of itself was not weird. However, there was a club within the college that was rather peculiar. This club was called the Minstrels and Magician's Club for Explicit Magic. If the name wasn't telling enough, this was a club where they tried to find a way to make every spell sexual, whether it was through somatic, verbal, or material components, or how the spell took shape itself.

Basically, they made dick shaped fireballs.

Also, bards and minstrels can make a living assuming they don't practice magic.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 84

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.