[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game any good? I've heard that it's basically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: shadowofthedemonlord1.jpg (226 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
shadowofthedemonlord1.jpg
226 KB, 900x1350
Is this game any good? I've heard that it's basically WFRP but better.
>>
>>46035711
I've heard that it's basically WFRP but worse.

Who's right? Who knows. This is the internets, not a scientific survey.

Hell, I could be talking to myself here, I dunno.
>>
>>46035763
That is interesting. Game is not very popular so It's hard to find decent opinions. RPG.net gave it two 9/10 but these retards can't be trusted. It has 8 votes on RPG geek, and 7 on Amazon. I don't really know any other places where I could find good RPG-related opinions.
>>
It's basically WFRP but D&D. The setting is generally worse, a bit heavier on the puerile humor. It has some cool playable races like the clockwork dudes.

I like how you can hang any combination of classes on the basic advancement scheme and they'll all give you some neat abilities. I don't like how it's heavily biased towards magic if you want a decent selection of neat abilities, and I REALLY don't like how some extremely basic build-defining abilities are gated behind Expert and Master Paths, so you need to be level 6 or 7 (out of 10) to get your basic shield bash or improved aim ability.

I would rate it ahead of WFRP 2nd edition, on a par with WFRP 1 and behind WFRP 3, which will probably cause anyone who would be interested in it to disregard my opinion.
>>
>>46035949
>I REALLY don't like how some extremely basic build-defining abilities are gated behind Expert and Master Paths, so you need to be level 6 or 7 (out of 10)

Well you don't really get any class defining characteristics in WFRP 1&2 besides magic so I guess that's something. Also, isn't WFRP 3 super Jewish or something? I remember FFG forcing people to buy an expansion pack just to play with 5 people.
>>
>>46036008
>Well you don't really get any class defining characteristics in WFRP 1&2

Yeah but I see them as more rules light games than Demon Lord. Don't get me wrong I like the school of design where everyone gets a selection of kewl powers but this game doesn't offer me anything I haven't seen WFRP 3 or D&D 4 or Fantasy Craft do better. There's some nasty body horror spells if you're into that though. I like the one that merges any two creatures into one creature with two brains, though it lacks the immediacy of the one that makes someone shit themselves to death.

As regards WFRP 3rd - yes, the starter set is more expensive than about any other RPG. Still not very expensive, considered objectively, when you consider how much playtime you get out of a basic game without expansions. You can play with any number of players, for free, by pirating the version that comes in a couple of traditional rulebooks instead of lots of cardstock bits and pieces. It's out of production so you don't even need to feel guilty. You still need the special dice but there are apps for that.
>>
>>46036200
How do I know I pirated the right version? I mean every PDF might be just the scan of the book that comes with cards and shit.
>>
>>46036237
the book format core set is Player's Guide, GM's Guide and Monster Guide

note: not the Player's Vault, GM Vault etc, which are expansions
>>
>>46036825
Thanks.
>>
>>46036825
Also, are you sure it's not Creatures Guide instead of Monster Guide?
>>
>>46037152
yeah, sorry, it should be creatures
>>
>>46037472
Thanks. Downloaded it all.
>>
>>46035711
It's pretty terrible to be honest. I was expecting a really dark fantasy setting like they advertised it. Instead I got D&D trying very hard to be grimdark and failing at it terribly.
>>
>>46037551
Yeah, the setting isn't really the main draw. The system, especially the class system, is. The setting is take-it-or-leave-it.

Still, the system makes for better fantasy games than DnD5e.

That's what everyone should view this game as:
Better 'grimdarkish' DnD5e. Just like 13th Age is better high fantasy DnD5e.
>>
File: whatthefuck.jpg (597 KB, 1298x1349) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuck.jpg
597 KB, 1298x1349
>>46035711
To make sure there is no confusion like last time, this is a player class. Also, every thread until you like it.
>>
>>46038304
Well. It's a class, which theoretically a player could enter.
>>
>>46037965
Question. Could I theoretically take the mechanic and play in the Old World? An old world with talking golems and goblins living in cities (and not being shrooms), but you know old world with Khorn, Empire, Ulthuan etc.
>>46038304
Is this supposed to be a good or a bad thing? Because it sounds pretty great.
>>
>>46037488
Got a link? I've never been able to find good scans.
>>
>>46039532
http://pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S

First mega link in the paste bin. Folder -> fantasy -> roleplay. If you ever wanted to find this link again it's from the Warhammer Fantasy Battle thread on this board.
>>
>>46038304
Can you give birth to monsters the normal way?
>>
It's not 'better' than WHFRP, but it is good at what it sets out to do, the adventures are pretty spooky, and even though the setting is kind of boring I enjoy it. Definitely worth pirating IMO
>>
>>46037965
I do have to admit that is true. As far as dungeon and dragon influenced systems goes it is pretty top notch.

Thing there though is they mostly advertise it as some game of thrones like dark horror setting. Which it isn't.

I do have to admit though I really love the chronomancer class. Just because it can be used in so many dickish ways.
>>
>>46039323
To be honest it really feels like you were meant to fill in your own setting. The Warhammer World does as good as any. Playable goblins and replacing the colleges of magic with a hundred minor traditions is probably an improvement overall.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.