[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you role play Rangers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 512x374) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 512x374
How do you role play Rangers?
>>
>>45918912
A guy who likes dogs.
>>
>>45918912
If we're talking Pathfinder, I always play Slayers instead, because Rangers having magic and being these weird psuedo-druids is kinda lame.

Aside from that... they're scouts and survivalists, pretty simple. In a military campaign or setting, they're the guys who go ahead of the army, spy on the enemy army, and report back with information their numbers and positions (or quietly stay hidden until the fighting starts, then turn things in favor of their own side by providing cover fire the enemy wasn't expecting or picking off their command-structure via sniping).
>>
>>45918912
Play them as a maladjusted social outcast who obsesses about their (inferior) skills and hasn't bathed in over a month.

Shouldn't be too hard.
>>
>>45918912
I've always treated them as being responsible for keeping all the minor local deities and spirits happy, and extracting a fee for their services from the local nobility or populace. You also have some of the actual guardians of nature types, but they're comparatively rare and most people get into the job for the money.

Want to keep the river spirit from flooding away your crops for the next year? Give me a bag of gold, and I'll keep it happy for you.

Want to stop all the virgin sacrifices? I know the demon you're dealing with, and he'll also accept a certain rare material; pay me and I'll fetch it for you.

That sort of thing.
>>
charles darwin type explorers
survival of the fittest
eat any edible animal you come across
>>
File: MgsCamoExample.jpg (79 KB, 600x469) Image search: [Google]
MgsCamoExample.jpg
79 KB, 600x469
>>45918912
Pic related, but with a bow or whatever their weapon of choice is. Also go with the guy who said to play Slayers instead. Ranger magic is retarded and actually makes them LESS badass.
>>
>>45919429
I like this one, but it's sort of a role overlap with druids
>>
>>45918912
I like playing mine as a bounty hunter who will hunt down whatever he's paid to kill-beast, humanoid, or whatever else.
>>
>>45918912
Depends on how the ranger is built and their backstory.
>>
>>45919632
Its more of how they make money than anything else; they can also serve as scouts or make money as hunters, but there's just more profit in dealing with spirits.
>>
File: punching dinosaurs.jpg (113 KB, 500x387) Image search: [Google]
punching dinosaurs.jpg
113 KB, 500x387
>>
>>45918912
Crazy survivalist who lives innawoods.
May be slightly frayed from isolation, but capable of making uncanny intuitive leaps when in their element.
>>
>>45918912
As a Steve Irwin/Bear Grylls hybrid
>>
>>
>>45918912
Depends on the ranger in question. I roleplay character's, not classes.
>>
>>45918912
Like the best ranger - Drizzt. He's soo cool.
>>
File: legolass.gif (97 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
legolass.gif
97 KB, 480x270
>>45922120
>>
I only ever played one ranger, he was a skinny awkward dweeb who grew up in the city, but was too big a pussy / too socially awkward to keep up with his tough guy peers, so he bought a survival guide and left for the nearest forest.

Ended up becoming a lot better at the whole intuition / sensing part of ranger life than he was at the whole skinning rabbits / killing deer exercises of having to live in the wilds. Ended up coming back to civilization cause he couldn't find any cute shy druid girls to hang out with and he had the thirst something fierce.
>>
>>45918912

In Pathfinder, skilled outdoorsy types that may be a little superstitious and weird in the head. They can be hardcore survivalist types, but don't need to be.
>>
>>45918912
survival arcer, friend of nature, he is defending the nature balance but he is not a Hippie, a silent person but not a social outcast, he wants to help anonimously.
>>
File: 1432785077854.jpg (45 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
1432785077854.jpg
45 KB, 620x349
>>45918912
This is how I play ranger
>>
>>45918912
Roleplay as a priest of Lamashtu. Minor magic and healing skills are a must when your tribe is constantly having half breeds claw their way out of the womb or when the faithful have half their body warped into something hideous.
Get a Demon Mother's Mask and you can even impregnate your animal companion.
Praising the All-Mother lets you do fun things in combat. Any excuse will do to tear the uterus out of female combatants, it always livens up the table.
>>
>>45918912
In Pathfinder, the choice in terms of abilities and theme is between the classical nature Ranger, and a more civilized Ranger who hangs out with people more often.

But even a wild Ranger can be played as anything from a recluse jungle sniper to the guy who tends the King's forest and makes sure poachers don't kill all the aurochs.
>>
By not playing ranger. My favorite "ranger" was a Hunter. Real redneck type, knew everything he knew cos his ma and pa taught him. He was terrible at shooting though, so his daddy showed him that hunting with a big knife and a treeing partner was good enough. His momma was a Green Faith healer, taught him how to take care of his bestest friend, a big kitty.

After leaving home to try and become a town guard, he realized he needed a bigger knife, and picked up a greatsword. Through ADVENTURES, the party had captured a wizard. My character gave her familiar a choice to stay with him instead of getting executed. It was a little white kitty. The familiar rides on the companion's head.
>>
>>45919560
>not inventing pistols to be a better hunter
>>
File: brewpotion5th.png (557 KB, 698x1144) Image search: [Google]
brewpotion5th.png
557 KB, 698x1144
>>45918912
You take Brew Potion at level 5
>>
>>45919510
I want to play one like the great white explorers that tamed Africa, very much of nature and at home "in the bush", but with a butler, a pipe and the fantasy equivalent of a massive 4 gauge shotgun.

A shotgun with a kick so strong i would require six of the local negros to brace my shoulder.
>>
File: teddy_roosevelt.jpg (63 KB, 503x599) Image search: [Google]
teddy_roosevelt.jpg
63 KB, 503x599
>>45918912

pic related
>>
>>45929358
noice
>>
>>45930419
That's not a noice...
>>
They walk the line between nature and civilization, adopting nature to protect civilization.
>>
As the Batman of nature
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.