[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Eye of the Beholder Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: beholder.jpg (50 KB, 736x588) Image search: [Google]
beholder.jpg
50 KB, 736x588
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old thread
>>48334032

What's your favorite 5e monster?
>>
>>48343659
Frankenstein
>>
>>48343659
regarding 'favorite 5e monster' I think I might need to wait until Volo's Guide to Monsters comes out.
Also I might need to read the MM.
>>
Mimics will always be my favorite monster to use. I can't really use them as chests anymore since players will just see it coming a mile away now
>>
>>48343659
>>48343597
People like this think anything with talking animals or animal people is furry fetish crap.

>Werewolves?
Furbait.
>Ducktales?
Furbait.
>Rescue rangers
Furbait.
>Tailspin
Furbait.
>Disney movies
Furbait.
>TMNT
Furbait.
>Thunder cats
Furbait.
>Transformers
Robot Furbait.

Anything you ever liked growing up?
Some kind of fetish furbait fuel.

You can't reason with this kind of loony.
>>
>>48343753
Leave this shit in the old thread you retard
>>
>>48343724
Chests are overrated when they can be
>doors
>tables
>chairs
>statues
>piles of rubble
>piles of treasure in a dragon's hoard
>a meal on a table
>a sword stuck in a stone
>>
File: 02 - Rita's Face.jpg (14 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
02 - Rita's Face.jpg
14 KB, 320x240
>>48343677
lol, ass blasted fourry is mad that his crap game got shelved. kek
>>
>>48336298
Second for this.
Any tips would be taken with gratitude as I don't know much about the investigative processes in the dark ages.
>Trying to avoid the whole inquisitorial aproach of kicking down the door and killing people in the King-, Queen,- and the Empire's name.
>>
>>48343677
This is just pathetic.
>>
>>48343796
>implying that I don't play pathfailure.

>>48343847
Like WotC's release schedule?
>>
One of my players got the sun blade in CoS. Hope she doesn't get ass blasted when Strahd focuses on maiing or killing her and retrieving the sun blade
>>
>>48343939
Zing!
>>
>>48343939
>Like WotC's release schedule?
I mean... yes.
That's actually good one.
>>
File: ....gif (1024 KB, 242x227) Image search: [Google]
....gif
1024 KB, 242x227
How do you homebrew a race?
I like the races they have but there's not enough, and there isn't anything as unanimously good as the Human in PF
>>
>>48343659
Mummy Lord. Perfect example of a monster that demands a campaign built around him.
>>
>>48343992
>How do you homebrew a race?
1. Come up with the fluff.

2. Decide what parts of the fluff are most important to represent in the race.

3. Make the race's mechanics with the existing races as a guide. That is: no negative ability modifiers, nothing that adds a ton of damage to any given build with that race, 25ft speed standard for small/30ft speed standard for medium, and so on.
>>
>>48343939
>WotCs nonexistent release schedule.
>Limited available character options.

This is why I went back to pathfinder. I prefer its problems to 5es problems.
>>
>>48343992
Variant human is pretty unanimously good.
>>
>>48343779
Or like my DM did one, an entire fucking building
>>
>>48343992
Variant Human is damn near identical to the PF human, they just get a +2 to one stat instead of a +1 to two.
>>
What's the best way to control a flesh golem you've crafted?
>>
File: kraken.jpg (95 KB, 556x720) Image search: [Google]
kraken.jpg
95 KB, 556x720
Best 5e monster design reporting in.
>>
>>48343992
In the DMG there are a few suggestions and an example how to build a race.

>>48343659
I love to build stories around Raskshasa. Pretty interesting creatures - want to eat human flesh, can cast disguise self, are fiends and like fancy closing and so on.
>>
File: 57868768687.jpg (38 KB, 240x260) Image search: [Google]
57868768687.jpg
38 KB, 240x260
>>48343677
5E > Pathfinder
>>
>>48344166
clothing*
>>
>>48343991
>delay an Unearthed Arcana for two weeks because of a one day holiday
>3 PM and the UA is still nowhere to be seen
It's ridiculous. And it's going to be even more ridiculous when it comes out and it's a DM's Guild review.
>>
File: bullywug.jpg (51 KB, 736x833) Image search: [Google]
bullywug.jpg
51 KB, 736x833
>>48344196
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/755112375313768448
>new content - should be up today
An actual UA instead of another showcase? Even if it's delayed that's two months of new UAs in a row. I hope that means they saw how pissed people were at DMs Guild spotlights replacing half of UAs and are going back.
>>
>>48344176
Eh. It's okay.

Both games have their problems.

One of 5es problems is very limited sourcebook variety combined with very limited options in the sourcebooks available.
>>
>>48344268
I consider that a non-problem myself. Having to deal with a thousand different sources for material makes it harder for me both as a DM and a player.
>>
Everyone here does realize that this entire edition is just a holding pattern until the current writers can retire?
>>
>>48344268

>D&D 5e releases core rulebooks with literally the most available options for starting races and classes right out of the gate compared to past editions and pathfinder
>Too limited

Why anyone thinks this is beyond me. Is it too limited compared to a game that has been out for seven years with a fuckton of splat-books? Yeah. If you were to compare someone just getting started and getting the core for each though, D&D 5e takes a massive shit on Pathfinder.
>>
>>48344134
With your penis.

Turn it into a flesh joy-stick.
>>
>>48344338
>one of the four books in my system has more options than one of the twenty books for your system!
>>
>>48343659
They never needed to make this. 4e is superior in every way.
>>
>>48344363

D&D, in general, is kind of a shit system, but it is the most popular so it is easier to get a group for it.

Same thing with Magic the Gathering, really. So many other games, even games with a mage v mage battle system, is better than MtG, but that is all you can reliably find a group for.
>>
File: bait en garde.jpg (29 KB, 680x681) Image search: [Google]
bait en garde.jpg
29 KB, 680x681
>>48344313
>>48344363
Poor b8, m8. Try again next time without posting in such quick succession.
>>
>>48344299
>It's a lot of work to read through a ton of sourcebooks.
Less work if everything is listen indexed and searchable, like d20pfsrd or the offline character builder of 4e.

But yes, it is more work than one book.

But that one book doesn't give me enough variety, as it is now.

I could really go for m&m / GURPS style char gen for 5e. Build your character from scratch, design your own spells using spell design rules.

A single book, giving 5e flexibility it would otherwise take at least half a dozen books to achieve.

It would of course, need to be designed by someone who has a good handle on the balance and numbers of the system.
>>
>>48344407
Not the same guy.
Or even the same argument.
>>
File: Dead game you say.png (187 KB, 500x731) Image search: [Google]
Dead game you say.png
187 KB, 500x731
>>48343677
Lel, good one m8.
>>
>>48343991
Is it actually a good burn if everyone agrees with it?
>>
>>48344447
I actually think that the number is so high because there aren't enough people playing the game locally.

Pathfinder society shits up my game store weekly. I don't think they even have 5th edition books.
>>
>>48344134
With your voice?

Maybe put a raven familiar on its shoulder that can command it by mimicking your voice.

>asshole raven familiar sends your flesh golem on a rampage
>>
>>48344527
That's exactly why it's a good burn
5e is very good, but there's 0 content for it
>>
>>48344338
>More options than pathfinder core! It's not fair to compare it to a system with lots of books!

>5e came out in like, august 2014.
>Two years in, and there's fuck all for new books besides adventures, let alone character option supplements.

>Pathfinder came out in 2009.
>by July 2011 it had:
>APG
>Bestiary 2
>Ultimate Magic
And ultimate combat was a month away.
And that's only considering major releases. There were also a bunch of smaller releases and setting books.

But even if it's not fair, people will ask the question "should I play this newer game with no currently available support, or play this other more established game with tons of support?"
>>
>>48344562
My local doesn't sell 5e either.
>>
>>48344447
Dead as in no actual new game books, not as in no players.
>>
>>48344573
More archetypes, more spells, and a class or two every year would be nice.
>>
>>48344587
It's easy to make content when you have an entire edition to plagiarize your shit from.
>>
>>48344590
Well, once you've got the 3 core books there's no reason to go to your lgs for 5e ever again, unless you really want an adventure path
>>
>>48344447
>shadowrun, wod, 40k, and nuSW all at less than 5%.

The masses have no taste.
>>
>>48344590
>>48344562
My local stores sell the Pathfinder core rulebook and no other PF books, but sell all the 5e books and run AL multiple times per week.

It's almost like anecdotes can vary so widely that they're not solid evidence for any one conclusion.
>>
>>48344634
>New pathfinder content was the same as old 3.5 content.
>There was nothing new, or reimagined.
Are you srs?

Besides,
>It's easy to make content when all you have to do is convert stuff from your previous editions.
They just aren't doing it.
>>
>>48344634
I think you mean content creation is easier when things are closer to open source and oppressive licensing doesn't get in the way.
>>
>>48344673
5e actually is fucking great though.
>>
>>48344562
FLGS keeps 5e in a bin under munchkin and the like. Not even with RPG books.
>>
>>48344705
I agree, it's pretty good.
>>
>>48344408
>Alternate 5e character creation system that will build everything from a 5e fighter to any dnd monster to any pathfinder or dnd character to most of the X-Men, and be compatible with 5e adventures and enemies and core mechanics.
Would play.
>>
>>48344697
yeah Paizo is too busy giving us totally new and original classes like the psychic
>>
>>48344804
I'm not saying all their content was good, all I did was point it they actually release content, unlike wotc for 5e.
>>
>>48344665
>Not playing Shadowrun
I don't know, it sounds like they have some taste.
>>
>>48344408
>It would of course, need to be designed by someone who has a good handle on the balance and numbers of the system.

what balance? seriously, the devs don't look at the numbers, the internal math is all over the place
>>
>>48344889
>The internal math of 5e is all over the place.
Really? I thought it's internal math was supposedly fairly well designed, just not quite as consistent as with 4e.
>>
File: ships.jpg (316 KB, 768x1071) Image search: [Google]
ships.jpg
316 KB, 768x1071
Could your character defeat a warship in single combat?
>>
Whats a good spell list for a first level necromancer-to-be?
She's sun/Moon half-elf, so four cantrips.
>>
>>48345167
First level spells sleep/shield go with everything early.
Minor illusion and a damage cantrip would be my only real rigid suggestions for 0's.
>>
>>48345014
Can I sneak attack the warship? If yes, then probably. An inanimate object would count as unconscious, right?
>>
>>48345255
You cannot sneak attack a thing with no self-awareness. That's like asking if you can sneak attack a tree m8.
>>
>Sorcerer is a shitty wizard with the ability to recast spells plus a bloodline that gives no spells
When would you ever pick Sorcerer over Wizard?
>>
>>48345014
Probably. 5e doesn't seem to offer inanimate objects saving throw scores, so a well placed fireball or two...
>I realize that I am ForeverDM, and that all the other games I've played I'm likely never playing again.
Depends, how many Tarrasques can I throw at it?
>>
>>48345292
Because it fits your character concept.

Also metamagic shenanigans.
>>
>>48345292
Fluff. Also if you're a few-trick pony and like twinning concentration buffs on your allies or casting heightened save-or-suck spells on enemies.
>>
>>48345292
Because the DM won't let you buy any spells (forcing you to rely on the two you get per level,) and because Wild Magic.
>>
File: 1446676014913.gif (2 MB, 390x520) Image search: [Google]
1446676014913.gif
2 MB, 390x520
>>48345319
Even without inscribing a single non-level granted spell into your spellbook, wizards still get more spells than sorcerers.
>>
>>48345292
Wild magic is the most well designed archetype in 5e currently.
>>
>>48345368
>Wild magic is the most well designed archetype in 5e currently
I don't feel you.
>>
>>48345368
>Okay if your GM hates fun
>The best thing ever if your GM agrees to using the d100 chart for all spell casts

>Summon a Unicorn controlled by the GM for 1 Minute
>>
>>48345167
>So You Want to Raise the Dead: A Spellbook for Aspiring Necromancers

>Chapter 1: The Foundations of Wizardry
>Prestidigitation and Mage Hand are two basic spell that every wizard should keep in his back pocket.
>Necromancy is not always a popular passtime among the lesser peoples, so have Minor Illusion at the ready to create a distraction.
>And of course, the undead are tools. Sometimes those tools need a good whack with arcane power to keep them from maiming you horribly. Chill Touch is wonderful for serving this purpose, and it's just plain spooky.

>Chapter 2: Before the Grave Robbing
>There's a bit more to the art of Necromancy than simply digging up corpses and infusing them with a false semblance of life. You must first understand the basic principles of the energies you're working with. False Life and Ray of Sickness will help you on the way to that understanding.
>If you're serious about becoming a Necromancer, you'll want ways of keeping an eye on your surroundings while at the same time keeping your own identity hidden. For the latter purpose it is recommended that you learn to Disguise Self; for the former Find Familiar.
>And of course, no mage worth his salt would leave his tower without ample defense up his black-robed sleeve. Mage Armor and the ever-reliable Shield should round out your repertoire of 1st level spells.
>The formulae and incantations for all of these spells can be found in Chapter 3.
>Thank you for purchasing this volume. If you find yourself wanting to further your studies on the Black Art, please be on the lookout for our next volume, Ghoulcalling and You: A Spellbook for the Necromancy Novice.
>>
File: download.jpg (15 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
15 KB, 183x275
So when are you faggots going to start playing Dungeon World?

> fewer rules
> more character options
> combat flows freely
> uses a better dice mechanic

Well? Why are you still playing 5e?
>>
>>48345581
Because that creates the astronomically-small-but-still-possible chance of me playing in a game with you.
>>
>>48345581
5e doesn't have many rules itself, and I can't think of base rules in 5e that I actually think of as superfluous.
>>
>>48345602

That's ad hominem bullshit. I also play 5e despite the fact that it's an infantile game with severe balance and complexity issues. There is a chance you might end up in a 5e game with me. Thus that "argument" is invalid.
>>
>>48345664
>I also play 5e
See, Virt, this how you really make someone rethink playing 5e.
>>
>>48344406
I never fail to get a group for Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards.
>>
>>48345581
>So when are you faggots going to start playing Dungeon World?
But faggots already do play Dungeon World.
>>
New UA today? YAY!
>>
>>48344268
Personally, and I swear to god this is not a shitpost, I actually PREFER the anaemic release schedule 5e has. Gives me more time between players going "Oh this new class/race looks cool can I retire yet another character and reroll as that?"
>>
>>48345681

Good. Start playing Dungeon World and you will see the kind of role-playing you've been missing out on. Last session my human fighter wrestled a vampire out a window. Can't do that in DnD unless you have enough levels in that class and have to roll 500 checks first.

DnD is shit.
>>
File: 1468777715619.png (871 KB, 968x720) Image search: [Google]
1468777715619.png
871 KB, 968x720
>>48345664
>5e
>severe balance and complexity issues
OH AM I A LAFFIN
>>
>>48345581
I did start playing Dungeon World!
But then I stopped after a few weeks!
Because Dungeon World is absolute fucking trash.
It's just a half-dozen mechanics carved haphazardly off of real games and run through a thesaurus, with no real concept of what a game actually is.
>>
>>48345732
>Anecdotes
>>
>>48345732
But I don't want to play Dungeon World because you play it.
>>
>>48345581
>Dungeon world is good
You're a funny guy. Even if you like apocalypse world (I don't especially) dungeon world is an abomination that mangled it into total garbage.

Though I don't play 5e either due to the lack of content. I just come here to discuss campaigns, pay attention to current releases, and discuss adventures.
>>
File: Just Stop.jpg (164 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Just Stop.jpg
164 KB, 1280x720
/tg/, we really, REALLY need to talk about the recent surge in popularity of "Dungeon World" around here, especially the trend of recommending it as a good system for "introducing" players to our hobby.

I understand that there is an obsession with being subversive and finding the most super specialest alternative to D&D possible, but having finally taken the time to read into Dungeon World and the reasons why this game has caught on around here and other forums I feel the need to be frank: this NEEDS to stop. I try as hard as I can not to be a "badwrongfun" style curmudgeon, but this is not a role playing game. Full stop. This is not a role playing game, and this disingenuous promotion of it as such is legitimately dangerous to this hobby. This is an exercise in self-congratulatory free form group storytelling.

This is a "game" where the danger of literally any challenge is by design arbitrary, not just from encounter to encounter, but from action to action. There's no actual combat or tactics at play, everyone takes turns basically describing a "cool fantasy battle" and resolve everything through "dodge danger" and "hack and slash" rolls triggered at the GM's whim. This is a game proud of being anti-structure, where the goal is to explain to the GM how many cool things your players do instead of actively overcoming any challenges in your way.

It's chaos. Consequences of certain failures are decided collaboratively. The GM is encouraged to be more of an antagonistic player than an actual referee of any rules. At /tg/'s suggestion I watched a few videos of people playing this. At one point the *GM* asked the *PLAYERS* what rumors they had heard in town.

I get that the people involved in this game by admission shill it everywhere, but please stop pushing this as a system for beginners. It's dangerous to our hobby and the behaviors it promotes encourages entitled players with disruptive expectations for how parties are meant to work.

Stop.
>>
>>48345702
>Players wanting to reroll when new stuff comes out.
I've never had this happen, with a single exception - an eldritch knight player wanted to switch to magus once magus came out.
>>
>>48345732
>Last session my human fighter wrestled a vampire out a window. Can't do that in DnD
Top kek. You literally have never played D&D, then.
>>
File: Carl.png (44 KB, 256x144) Image search: [Google]
Carl.png
44 KB, 256x144
>>48345292
When you want to play a fucking cunt.
>>
>>48345581
Damnit, I thought you left after last time. Still not sure whether or not you're a troll or a devout fanboy for DW.
>>
>>48345831
Troll.
See >>48345664
>>
>>48345732
My monk suplexed a Lich lord off the back of a flying Dracolich into an active volcano not even ten minutes ago.
This was in 5e.
>>
>>48345867
Story time?
>>
>>48345782
I've missed this copypasta.
>>
>>48345509
*lowers glasses*
Noice.
*back to reading*
>>
>>48345732
>Can't do that in DnD without the grappled target actually getting a chance to make a check to resist it.

This is what you meant?
>>
>>48345292
Wild Magic is fun as fuck. And metamagic is really cool.
>>
>>48345806
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WKS0Se_640
>>
>>48345935
Metamagic is actually a bit boring with what they've released so far. Wild magic is fun when you actually get wild magic rolls. Tides of Chaos being in the DM's hands is a little annoying - I usually just roll a d6 after ever spell and if it hit s the 6 you surge as a table rule.
>>
File: image.jpg (177 KB, 749x937) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
177 KB, 749x937
>>48345879
I mean, it wasn't much.
>Lich lord BBEG discovers the arts of the archdruids
>plans on, for the Lels, erupting a volcano on the major cities of the world
>succeeded in two
>because he's a petty fucker he comes to the one the party is at upon his Dracolich he "carved the heart from an ancient red dragon" to create.
>probably actually did it too.
>Wizard decides he ain't having it, but he doesn't have the fly speed to get up there and wreck his shit in any decent period of time
>so he drinks a fly potion, grabs my monk, and drags us up as far as he can go.
>monk is pretty much a shameless pull of Juan from Guacamelee, because who doesn't like Luchadores?
>Wizard dimension doors us on top of the dragon as Lich is in the middle of evil monologue
>drops Monk off
>Attack, Open Palm Flurry of Blows
>Push the target, just refluffed as a Suplex because the DM is a cool dude
>only way to push the Lich is off the dragon
>Lich boil
>>
File: I was not prepared for this.png (741 KB, 524x562) Image search: [Google]
I was not prepared for this.png
741 KB, 524x562
>>48343659
>>
>>48344408
>players designing their own spells

Yeah nah fuck off
>>
>>48346037
>Wizard dimension doors us
I fucking love support casters so fucking much.
>>
>>48346093
Players designing their own spells is fine if they understand how Wizards balances the 5e spells they put out. If your exclamation is only in protest and recognition that most players are idiots who couldn't make a balanced spell if their life depended on it I won't argue.
>>
>>48346134
If I designed a homebrew spell, I'd just port Weird from Pathfinder
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/weird.htm
>>
>>48346168
Weird is already in 5e though anon.
>>
>>48345581
>fewer rules
I want more fucking rules fuck off. 5e doesn't have enough rules.
>more character options
Not with less rules it doesn't.
>>
I'm going to make a dex fighter, would taking barb at level 1 be horrible? I just want the UAC
>>
>>48346134
>>48346134
>Wizards balances the 5e spells they put out

kek
>>
>>48346168
I've "designed" quite a few, all using their own fluff but borrowing from what other spells of equal or lower level can do.
You can have fire darts instead of firebolt for a cantrip, and just say you shoot a cascade of tiny embers rather than a single bolt at a target, change the 1d10 to 2d4 to reflect the lesser solid-hit potential but greater partial-hit potential and boom - different spell.
>>
>>48346228
They're more or less fine. There are a few partial outliers (most of them being simply kind of shitty), but the only spell I think they legit over-did is contagion.
>>
>>48344082
your dm sounds like a cool guy
>>
>>48346179
Did I stutter
>>
>>48346040
This is my favorite too.
>>
File: spectator.jpg (137 KB, 1000x1038) Image search: [Google]
spectator.jpg
137 KB, 1000x1038
>>48343659
The coolest thing. It is a beholder, but fun-sized! What is not to love?!
Plus, they aren't murderously xenophobic, just exquisitely eccentric.
>>
>>48346229
>player plays a cleric of Talos
>Tempest domain
>sad that Sacred Flame is radiant damage
>change the name to Sacred Bolt, it does lightning damage instead
>player is pleased as punch
>>
After three years, my campaign is over, and the group is disbanding because children, life, and everything else.

I am sad now.

What do.
>>
>>48346224
Just wear studded leather famerino. Ain't worth it to dip just for that.
>>
>>48346268
Yeah - damage-type changes I think are perfectly fine adjustments, since there's no equivalent of an OP damage type in 5e like in say 3.5 with sonic or sometimes force.
>>
>>48346264
What are those fuckers called anyway, I haven't had a chance to look at the monster manual yet.
>>
>>48346224
Dex fighter? You could take a level of Monk, if you wished, to get unarmored combat. That would probably synergize a bit more with dex fighter than barb does.

Still, just for UAC, you'd be better sticking with fighter and wearing studded leather.
>>
>>48346278
Talk about 5e shit senpai.
>>
>>48346278
Compile a "best of" collection of stories, put some design work into it, send a PDF out to your friends in memory.

Commission a group artwork of the group's characters.

Get two groups together and start again.
>>
>>48346278
Make a new group, make a new campaign, post it online, live vicariously through other groups, live vicariously through pc games (planescape enhanced edition is coming), write modules, write a book, start a fucking shit dungeon quest on /tg/, make new friends, play a different game and just drop it.

Not necessarily in that order.
>>
>>48346309
A spectator. It's in the filename.
>>
>>48346309
Read the filename yo.
>>
>>48346309
or the file name, apparently
>>
>>48345912
>This is what you meant?

No faggot, because you still have to roll to succeed in Dungeon World, so it comes to the same. Also Dungeon World has varying levels of success, unlike DnD and it's boring pass fail.
>>
>>48344940
for example, like 10% (if that) of the monsters in the book align with the guidelines for creating monsters

and CR is fucked again too
>>
>>48346319
Started with PF, changed to NEXT, then to 5e. Just finished the session an hour ago. Almost everyone died, but they saved the day...
>>
>>48346309
anons are a shit, AberrationLover90 delivers the stuff!

http://www.aidedd.org/dnd/monstres.php?vo=spectator

All the stats sans lore. Lore is pretty great tho, I recommend.
>>
>>48346377
>they saved the day
Good shit. Their sacrifices will not be forgotten.
>>
>>48346342
>Success against grabbing and throwing an ant is the same as grabbing and throwing a house.
>There's not just success and failure, but the DM can choose to make shit up, too. Let's pretend that doesn't happen in TTRPGs already.

Shouldn't you be in JP's stream sucking some dick right now?
>>
>>48346368
I think the guidelines for making custom stuff might be gimped.
>>
I want to run a political campaign in my current campaign. Any good advice for running national elections?
>>
>>48346412
Yeah, since those that died were fucked since their souls got immediately eaten by the BBEG. The cleric used divine intervention to resurrect them after the barbarian--the only other one left alive--destroyed his soul battery.

Barbarian almost died from the resulting explosion.
>>
>>48345509
But what about elemental evil spells?
And what would a good familiar with an off her rocker necromancer who could very reasonably fit into an Evocation wizard if not for her penchant into magic involving undeath?
>>
>>48346474
Don't model them on contemporary politics.
>>
>>48346487
God bless barbarian damage resistance, HP pool, and advantaged dex saves.
>>
Question: does failing the will save on the Gulthias staff's ability stack, or can you only be affected by the temporary madness once no matter how many times you fail in that particular round? For example, if I hit three times and use three charges, but fail the will save twice, will I also be affected twice?
>>
>>48346511
Yeah.

And now, unfortunately, the group must disband. One player is tired of driving three hours for each session, since he moved and got married. Another player is three weeks away from officially adopting his foster child, and has another child already (they're both fucking adorable, and already play D&D). They pushed through to finish the entire campaign, though, bless those bastards, at level 20.
>>
>>48346550
I don't believe you can stack on more than one, going by the rules for overlapping game effects, if you consider "short-term madness" a game effect in itself.
>>
>>48346550
I am pretty sure the rule is that, if it is not specified, the common rule is that same effects do not stack.
>>
>>48346093
>>48346168
>>48346228
I did specify youd be designing spells using a set of rules to so, not just "make some shit up".

It works well in other games(ghosts of Albion, m&m, GURPS), why couldn't it work here?
>>
I have a question on Charm Person. The description states that the target knows they were charmed after the period is up, but is that relevant even if they aren't ever aware of the situation? Say for example I, a sorcerer with subtle spell, cast CP on an innkeeper to loosen him up and tell me where a person is sleeping that night. The way my group homebrews it, the Innkeeper will later regret his actions, but will blame himself rather than the party, just as if he was drunk when he gave out the information. Of course, if the person was previously hostile, he'd obviously be even more hostile afterwards, and the spell would be obvious to everyone involved.
>>
>>48346586
>>48346593

Excellent thank you! That makes risking it a great deal more appealing.
>>
How does one get past bullshit magic weapons?
I'm playing a Mercer Gunslinger (more of a musketeer crack shot than anything, sword and gun is common)
And on my solo adventure I was cursed by a mad tinkering God named krong.
So was my scimitar-refluffed-as-a-saber and it became a magic-hating death machine that turns shield spells against their owners and crushes them to death and attempts to physically absorb any other magic items I attempt to use, destroying them in the process.
Additionally, if it goes too far away from me it flies back to me blade first.
This wouldn't be As bad of an issue if it didn't explicitly state it did triple damage to its weilder.
And currently remove curse doesn't work, nor does lesser restoration.

This damn sword also killed the party bard and due to his religion in the setting, he isn't allowed to come back.
>>
>>48346644
Seems like your DM has a hateboner for you.
>>
>>48346368
>Monster creation rules are ignored.
>CR is fucked
>>48346471
>Creation guidelines may well be gimped.
That is a damn shame.

So what does 5e still have over pf then? Just the option of "no magic items" as the default rather than an optional rule, and less trap options to ignore like they don't exist?
>>
>>48346696
A better playerbase.
>>
>>48346696
Most monsters do follow the CR guidelines if you actually calculate them out. That anon has been throwing around shit for the last few threads.

The CR guidelines are still miles ahead of PF's.
>>
Is it wrong that my paladin wants to release his enemies, instead of having them stand trial?
His reasoning is that if they are shown mercy, they have been given the chance to do good, while being imprisoned doesn't give them the freedom to do so. However, if he encounters a enemy again who is doing evil, he will slay them, as they have squandered their chance for redemption.
Is this a understandable way of handling enemies?
>>
>>48346721
Is the paladin's Int score less than 10?
>>
>>48346683
But wait, it gets worse.
When I Crit in either direction with the weapon on my person, or a magical effect affects me (including cure wounds or healing potions) the thing explodes into a table of some bullshit wild magic shit that's worth 7d10 worth of different, horribly detrimental effects, up to and including turning everyone in a ten foot radius to stone, dropping a ninth level fireball directly on my face, and all my gunpowder getting waterlogged.
All of these have happened so far.
What the fuck do I do.
>>
>>48346631
The way I see it is that the person can tell if they were charmed, so I go with the rule of one: PCs can often charm non-educated NPCs (like common goods merchants and barkeepers) ONCE before they realize what you are doing and get hostile about it. Of course, other people seeing you cast a spell will get mighty suspicious if the cranky barkeeper all of a sudden start to treat you like the best thing since sliced bread.
>>
>>48346743
get a new DM
>>
>>48346743
Stop playing with a shit DM.
>>
>>48346257
No, but you did link a 3.5e spell on the 3.5 SRD claiming it was from Pathfinder
>>
>>48346721
Is he prepared to deal with the burden of knowing every single death, misdeed and destruction his released convicts cause will be on his head?
Not to mention that will make him a criminal himself, for accomplices are also charged fro the crimes at hand.
Sounds like he has a lot of wishful thinking there.
>>
>>48346802
Are you literally retarded
They're the exact same spell
>>
>>48346743
I don't understand why you use the weapon in the first place.
>>
>>48346780
I would if he wasn't the only fucker around who I could ask for Gunslinger.
Plus the party is great fun sans the arcane trickster who insists she's a loli high elf orphan whose first course of action in the party was to attempt to rob a magic item shop for three RL hours.
>>
>>48346820
Can't not.
It's forcibly attuned to my character and stuck on via curse.
>>
>>48346863
Just fucking leave or stop complaining then
Plus, Remove Curse is a 3rd level spell
>>
>>48346863
>forcibly
>stuck via curse
Why is your DM doing that? What does it stand gain or serve the game or the players?
>>
>>48346803
>Is he prepared to deal with the burden of knowing every single death, misdeed and destruction his released convicts cause will be on his head?
That's a fucking stupid way to think of moral blame. I'm not responsible for what a murderer does just by not murdering the murderer or throwing the murderer in a cell.
The murderer is responsible for what he does, not anyone else.
>>
>>48345014
What is this from?
>>
>>48346923
The DMG.
>>
>>48346907
Some DMs hear of the lolsorandumb players and resolve never to let that person sit at their table.

Some DMs never even realize it was talking about them.
>>
>>48346887
We tried remove curse.
It physically harmed the clerics who attempted it.
The two leads I have now are to A) get a hold of a Warlock Patron or B) personally kill Krong to remove the source of the curse.
>>
>>48344562
I've got a couple of local D&D groups in my city, and all of them are playing 5e.
>>
How do y'all feel about monster races as PCs? I get a lot of negative responses from DMs and Players whenever I bring it up and was wondering if there was some kind of taboo behind it.
>>
>>48346940
Dude, straight up leave, your GM is either a railroading, vindictive asshole or just a terrible person
>>
>>48346968
I just don't allow constructs at my table for metagame reasons.
Then one character insisted on playing a skeleton and it was literally papyrus.
>>
>>48346968
They're fine, though recognize they're going to be treated differently and don't forget to incorporate that. It takes away from a campaign when a goblin walks into a dwarven city and no one so much as bats an eye.
>>
>>48346985
>literally Papyrus
Shitmeme Papyrus or Tragically Flawed Optimist Papyrus?
>>
>>48346940
Stand in an anti-magic field and then melt it down. Problem solved.
>>
>>48347011
>Implying the latter is even an option
>>
>>48347031
Point taken.
>>
>>48346743
Run.

Having no D&D is better than having bad D&D.
>>
>>48346921
Hey, your 'paladin friend' can do whatever he wants, Paladins are not obliged to be Lawful Good anymore, he could be Neutral Evil for all I care.
But if your dude is washing his hand of the responsibility of dealing with a bunch of criminals, something he is well equipped to do (being armed with divine powers and whatnot), I wouldn't really call that upholding his Vows, depending on them.

So if you want to argue morality, sure, he is free of it, but washing your hands doesn't make a 'good deed', just unconcerned and irresponsible.
>>
>>48347079
You're not responsible for what other people do. If you spare a guy who goes off and does something, that's not blood on your hands, that's more blood on his.
There's nothing irresponsible about mercy if your deity literally demands mercy from you. Don't like it? Cry about it to the cosmic power.
>>
>>48347110
>Letting criminals go scott-free isn't morally wrong
Spiderman let that robber go, and that robber later killed Uncle Ben, you twat
>>
>>48346985
I just don't allow constructs at my table for metagame reasons.
Huh?
>>
>>48347110
"Oh, no, I am completely capable of stopping the Tarrasque from rampaging the countryside and ending hundreds of lives, but eh. I don't want to kill the last of a species and commit it to extinction, I am sure if I show it mercy it is going to go in another direction and just flatten a mountain or two. Maybe."

Wishful thinking.
Apply the same to the bandits you set free. I never said you shouldn't show mercy, divine dictate or not, but mercy doesn't mean 'go free to do whatever the fuck you want'. Mercy means not killing them in cold blood.

Plus, Paladins don't follow a deity in 5e, mechanically speaking. Only their Vows matter.
>>
>>48347139
The gods serve out justice in the afterlife, and not a single soul escapes their grasp. When you follow a deity of mercy, you do what the deity asks. The evil guy existentially cannot escape his end.
>>
>>48347171
>implying you need to apply morality to non-core races
Nope - slaughter the shit out of Gruumshspawn owlbears and evil dragons. Anthropocentrism reigns supreme cocksucker.
>>
whats /tg/s opinion on rolling for stats vs point buy vs standard array?

I really like rolling for stats but my players got really lucky in my CoS campaign and theyre stupid powerful. half of them already have 20s in their primary stat at lvl 4.
>>
>>48347178
No, just bring a painful end to a bunch of innocent bystanders because you let him go. You didn't restrain him, you didn't lock him up, you didn't exile him to the ends of the earth, you let him. Go. Free. Again.

That is not a god of mercy, that is an uncaring god that sees the lives of mortals as currency to be weighted and bargained for.
>>
>>48346721
Putting someone one trial and incarcerating them IS mercy. Not being merciful would be killing them. If you'd rather rehabilitate than incarcerate, that's fine, that's great, but you don't just let them go with no supervision and hope for the best. That's horribly irresponsible.
So no, that's not an understandable way of handling enemies.
>>
>>48347226
>bring
>implying you bring anything
You're not responsible for Tyrone killing Juanquishajario because you release him back into da hood. In no world are you responsible for what other people who aren't you do.
It is absolutely absurd to pretend you are.
>>
>>48347243
>Putting someone one trial and incarcerating them IS mercy
>mercy - compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm
One of these things is not like the other~
>>
>>48347201
Pfft. I see your antropocentrism and I raise it by an egocentrism.
Dragon, man, demon or god, I say you do what you feel is right no matter what stands in your way. To do less is to let others live your life.
>>
>>48347310
you edgy as fuck hedonistic heathen.
burn in hell.
>>
>>48347208
rolling for stats is dumb and archaic, for reasons you listed yourself. someone could have nothing above a 14 and someone else could have nothing below a 14. It can be fun for short campaigns or one shots though, I personally like 4d6 drop the lowest reroll all 1s

standard array is boring but works

point buy encourages min maxxing but it's my favorite out of the options.

The only truly shit method is rolling in order. That is just trash
>>
>>48347310
You have fun explaining that to Asmodeus senpai. I'm sure he'll be very interested.
>>
>>48347271
You are absolutely right. We are indeed only responsible for our own actions. Like, let's say, letting a dangerous criminal loose and having they cause all sorts of damage.

So there. You can argue that all you want, you still choose to let them go and had you done otherwise less people would have died, less people would have to suffer.

Your argument is that people are responsible for their own actions. Then fucking take responsibility for yours, piece of shit.
>>
itt: /tg/ fails at philosophy on all fronts
>>
>>48347152
Before I banned constructs I had a warforged who broke the system by teleporting into space and sniped anything that pinged evil through his mechanical attachments and then cast top level spells And generally completely derailed the entire setting though Paladin/Wizard multiclass and being a literal killsat
>>
I love rolling for stats, as both a player and DM. As a DM, I do it differently, because I have them roll two separate arrays, and choose between the two. If neither are about a total modifier of +3, reroll both.
>>
I'm a level 10 totem barbarian now, does this mean I can spam commune with nature to look for fights with things consistently enough on a horse to cover a 3 mile tube to wherever our party goes?
>>
>>48347344
Anyone can be a "dangerous criminal". The most effective means of ensuring no one causes harm to others is to lock everyone up, or else just kill everyone. By allowing anyone to freely exist, you risk them causing some evil. What are you doing then senpai? Why do you allow all the death and suffering they might cause sustain as a possibility when you can end it?
The vein of ethical reasoning you're employing is terribly pathetic.
>>
>>48347338
Asmodean faith is actually quite reasonable. They never claim to be nothing but a terrible cowardly bargain for your evil deeds, but they do deliver what they promise.

There are worse things out there to worship. Like Demogorgon.
>>
>>48346968
I don't really like it. If more than one member of the party does it the entire feel of the game changes a lot
>>48347365
>Teleported into space
Wat. You basically had to let that work considering all the problems with that plan.
>>
>>48347406
You don't have to worship Asmodeus to end up serving your afterlife in his realm. Most of the souls entrapped in the hells barely ever gave a thought to their afterlife.
>>
>>48347387
You are not here to do the 'most effective', young grasshoper.
You are here to do the best you can do, as pitiful as that can be.

Can you save everyone? Fuck no, who do you think you are? Saitama?
But to not save those few you can just because you can't save everyone is really fucking dumb, aniki.
Onegai.
>>
>>48346968
I'm the player who loves monster races and to play as them. All the DMs I've had have said no because "that's a monster and you have to kill monsters" or something like that
Thank God I'm DM most of the time anyway
>>
>>48347480
The best you can do is to lock every soul up or kill them all. No people = no evil. Perfect world ;^)
>>
>>48347455
Agreed, but you can sell your afterlife to try and climb the baatorian ladder.

If you don't want to worship a god or pay only small lip service and doesn't have a good back-up plan (like lichdom), you might just ending up fodder for the Grey Walls. Tough luck, but everything is under a choice there. Taking responsibility for that choice is what matters in the end.
>>
>>48347506
Seems like a no brainer to just be a good person and get a good afterlife.
But hey - what do I know! Being a cocksucking scumbag must have its rewards amirite?
>>
File: brigandine.jpg (200 KB, 1131x1600) Image search: [Google]
brigandine.jpg
200 KB, 1131x1600
>>48346224
Why multiclass just for a few points of Armor Class? Wear studded leather, refluff it as a nice brigandine vest.
>>
>>48347492
>no people = no evil

You need to sharpen up on your non-euclidean, friend. I bet you are one of those scrubs that doesn't know the difference between the weird tree and the eye in a star.
>>
>>48347553
Since evil only comes from people, it necessarily follows that no people = no evil. Maybe touch up on your contingent truths ;)
>>
>>48347535
If you are a warrior that wants to go a warring afterlife being a good person seems kind of counter-intuitive.
Plus, your afterlife in celestia will be boring and uneventful compared to the churning bureaucracy of baator.

Don't take that for my personal opinion, anon-kun, if I could choose I would choose The Wall.
>>
>>48347551
>Studded leather
>When you can have 10+ con+dex mod instead
>And rage
Hell the guy should put three levels in for a bear rage
>>
>>48347579
If you are talking about the reality of it, I couldn't agree more. If you are talking about D&D then you have to get out, you are dirtying the place with the fecal matter of a bovine.
>>
>>48347605
>you can't be a warrior who wants to fight forever on Battlefield and be good
Woah. I didn't it was impossible to play my CG barbarian who adventures across the land looking for evil to fight! My mind = blown.
>>
>>48347632
You can extend the objects of your evil-destroying crusades to the deities too ;)
No people (deities are just special people) no evil ;)
>>
>>48347637
The actual plane of warriors in D&D cosmology is a CG, CN plane, so you really can.
Can you spark wars and cause genocide and march entire battalions against your opponent? No, that is Acheron, the LN, LE, plane.
>>
>>48347675
What about the non-divine beings? The elder evils, the evil planes, even the things that can't be explained, like Lady of Pain.
What of them?
>>
>>48347720
Kill everything. No more evil! ^_^
>We are indeed only responsible for our own actions. Like, let's say, letting a dangerous criminal loose and having they cause all sorts of damage
>So there

Hooray anti-evil cosmic genocide~
>>
>>48346224
depend if you have enough Con and Dex to make it worth it or if you plan to put points in them enough
>>
>>48347616
You do know that rage bonus damage only works if you're using STR for your attack? Which is not what a DEX fighter is going to be doing?
>>
>>48347752
You are not even trying, mate.
>>
/tg/, I'm DMing the final session for a fighter/paladin, ranger, wizard and rogue. They're level 20 and effectively demigods and are about to fight against a Tarrasque with a necrotic breath weapon. Do they have a chance.
>>
>>48347783
You're trying to insinuate that people are responsible for what other people will do. That someone who doesn't do something in regard to a person who may do something bad in the future (which can literally be any being in existence) can be held, *in any way* responsible for what that other person does. Which is absolutely absurdly stupid in its implications. You are absolutely absurdly stupid.
>>
>>48347778
>Implying 2 damage matters in the face of resistance to all damage except for psychic
>Along with free advantage on attack rolls whenever you feel like it
>>
>>48347805
>Ranger
Poor fucker
>>
>>48347837
>implying the person in question wanted to do more than a one level dip into barb in this whole hypothetical
>>
>>48347805
Yes they do.
Ranger capstone sucks dick though.
>>
>>48347861
>Implying he won't after seeing all the great shit he'll get
Or I'll eat my words when he says he wants to play some shitty eldritch knight with rapier
>>
>>48347814
It doesn't matter how you feel in a cosmic sense.
What matters is what the city guard is going to say when they find out you captured the serial killer and then LET HIM GO because "what he does isn't my problem".
>>
>>48347814
And you are telling me what I am *trying* to *insinuate* while ignoring what I have been actively saying.

>You are absolutely absurdly stupid.
Very mature. On that note, have a good night sir.
>>
>>48347896
Why go dex fighter at all at that point? It'd be better to just go barb until five and then swap to fighter, otherwise you're delaying your extra attack by fucking forever.
>>
>>48347850
>>48347878
Luckily, she's a hunter and not a beastmaster, so she still has a bit of something. She's also proficient with a pistol and can use her Multi-attack feature with it.
>>
>>48347904
Nobody gives a shit about the guard. Beat him up and "let him go" to. Or, in your world, just execute him because of the evil he might commit in the future - that's intolerable to allow to live ;)
>>
>>48347805
>Fighter paladinner
Depends on what types, could be good
>Ranger
Poor bastard should've killed himself to play a different class
>Wizard
Oh they're fine unless it's a cantrip only retard
>Rogue
Yeah it'll be fine unless the terryasque acid breaths everyone first thing and just kills everyone
>>
>>48347896
>shitty eldritch knight with rapier
Hey! I take offense to that, it is a pretty ok character and deals decent damage after level 7 and has ok control.
>>
>>48347934
Because dex fighters are shit in the face of giant meat str fighter/barbarian with GWM and two hands of greatsword
>>
>>48347916
I've addressed everything you've been saying, and if this
>We are indeed only responsible for our own actions. Like, let's say, letting a dangerous criminal loose and having they cause all sorts of damage
isn't insinuating exactly that someone is responsible for what other people do - you somehow magically tie "me letting the person go" to "them causing all sorts of damage" when there's no causal relation between the two whatsoever, then there's no such thing as an insinuation.
Ja ne retard-chan~
I hope your feelings aren't too hurt~
>>
>>48347998

>trying this little
Or, and try and keep up with me here, I'll use small words for you:

People who make a habit of criminal acts are more likely to do so again than people who do not. Saying "This man has killed a dozen people! I should release him, because surely he won't do it again!" is retarded.
>>
>>48347990
So you're telling him not to play a dex fighter at all rather than discussing his character around the premise of being a dex fighter, which is what he asked for. Neat.
>>
>>48348006
I gave up arguing with the imbecile. The ignorant will always win arguments because they just ignore what is said at them.
>>
>>48348006
>People who make a habit of criminal acts are more likely to do so again than people who do not
Try justifying that to me given the tautological truth - Either A or not-A. Something is either true or it isn't. Those are necessarily true statements, and don't leave room for probability in the world - there's no such thing as probability or likelihood given something either is (100%) or isn't (0%). C'mon bro.
Keep arguing with the philosophy man. You're sure to win with your super-smart statements ;)
>>
Is an elder brain a suitable patron for a GOO warlock?
>>
What level should 2-3 PCs be if I run them through Princes of the Apocalypse, with as little modifications as possible?
>>
File: whatthepuck.png (68 KB, 451x482) Image search: [Google]
whatthepuck.png
68 KB, 451x482
>>48347934
>Why go dex fighter at all at that point?
>>48347990
>Because dex fighters are shit
>>
>>48348049
...Are you seriously, SERIOUSLY claiming "there's no such thing as probability or likelihood"?

Holy shit, no wonder you're a philosophy man, you're literally nonfunctional in the real world.

Sorry your parents dropped you, man, I'll give you this one out of pity.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.