[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rifts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
You must name five bad things and five worse things about Rifts. If you can't do either, you can't discuss Rifts.
>>
>>48338376
>30+ Saving Throws
>500+ Skills
>Hobo is a legitimate class

>Slave Girls and Tentacles on the cover
>75+ books to understand the setting
>Kevin Siembieda

Okay, now let's list all the BAD things.
>>
> that image
> glitterboy
> the setting
> cyclops in a bowling alley
> the rifts guns sourcebook

Bad things?

> autistic overcomplicated rules
>>
>>48339450
>>48339466
All of these sound great to me.
>>
>>48339707
Yes maybe if your like most of this board and don't ever actually play in a game, but for us who do, it's exhausting.
>>
File: CS_08.jpg (151 KB, 742x844) Image search: [Google]
CS_08.jpg
151 KB, 742x844
>>48338376

I don't really find the rules overly complicated for the most part. At least not the core RUE rules. I think they are very poorly thought out and often incomplete, but still pretty simple to grasp and utilize in-game. I feel like Rifts wouldn't have half the criticisms it currently has if the books had a coherent and sensible layout so people could actually FIND the rules they often claim don't exist.
>>
i can try...

1. bad layout, hard to find rules when you need them.
2. bad balance, easy to powergame or make a character that turns out to be useless.
3. historically, fans who attempt to fix these problems publicly get attacked by the creators.
4. power creep from one book to the next
5. clunky mechanics which seem to just not cover things you need to do from time to time

honestly, i like the setting and the concept and i'm happy to houserule what needs to be ruled so you can enjoy the game anyway, but i don't think it's that hard to identify problems with the game.

on the other hand, i'm not sure how you can justify making a rule that only people who can find 5 + 5 complaints are allowed to discuss the game. is this a meme reference i'm not getting or just a troll thread?
>>
Bumping for shit games
>>
>>48339466
The rules aren't really complicated, the book is just poorly laid out so it's hard to find them quickly. They're no more complicated or autistic than GURPS.
>>
The skill rolls are percentile roll under, combat is contested d20 rolls with modifiers, and both spells and psionics use a spell point system, so they're consistent with each other with none of the vancian bullshit. That's it. The rules aren't complicated, just poorly organized.
>>
>>48340033
>is this a meme reference i'm not getting or just a troll thread?
there's a bunch of threads going around with "you must name 5 good things and 5 bad things about (game) or else not discuss it".
>>
>>48339450
Can we discuss some good things instead? I haven't seen any in this thread yet.
>>
>>48342050
Read the OP.
>>
>>48341271
>because it IS GURPS
Or was that the joke?
>>
File: !crazy long.jpg (105 KB, 398x519) Image search: [Google]
!crazy long.jpg
105 KB, 398x519
>>48342050
>Massive customization possibilities for characters
>Everything in one RPG: aliens, magic, mecha, wizards, psionics, armies, supertech, dimension-hopping, bioware, and on and on
>Dinosaurs! Super-Dinosaurs!! Cyber-Dinosaurs!!!
>>
>>48342290
>Dinosaurs!
I'll be honest, what attracted me to Rifts was the dinosaurs in the old west books. That's my favorite setting.
>>
You know, Rifts is a real piece of shit, but I can't help but love it. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, the game I always choose first when it's my turn to GM for my group.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.