[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>friends all decide to play pathfinder >none of us have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: pepe.jpg (96 KB, 977x799) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
96 KB, 977x799
>friends all decide to play pathfinder
>none of us have played dnd styled games before except the dm
>mention im a lawful evil cleric under asmodeus
>everyone thinks im just being lolxdsorandum and are super angry with me

Am I retarded or something? I was reading about all the gods and a Lawful Evil cleric just sounds perfect for what Asmodeus represents.
>>
It's good, but if everyone else is a lawful/chaotic good types, then your character has zero reason to hang with em.
>>
Why do you need Asmodeus? I agree that this motherfucker is cool, but save up this concept for a more evil campaign
>>
dumb frogposter
>>
>>48332985
>>48332967
So you can't be a character motivated by personal gain while on a mission with a couple good guys? I feel like manipulation and sour deals is the perfect role for an evil person in a lawful group.
>>
>>48332926
Your first issue was telling them your alignment. Everyone should just keep that to themselves and let their actions and dialogue tell the other players their alignment.

Also understand that being evil, especially lawful evil, doesn't mean you just go around killing everyone and enslaving people and being a massive cock just because.

You're a massive cock for a real reason and you stick to that reason like a dried tissue paper sticks to the bottom of a waste basket.
>>
>>48333064
>lawful evil cleric under asmodeus
>motivated by personal gain

>not an LE cleric of abadar
Let's face it, you'll end up following most of the tenets just by acting like a murderhobo anyway.
>>
>>48333075
that does make sense, I did tell them that they were completely unlikely to even know that I was evil by the way I played the character. I shouldn't of even mentioned anything.
>>
File: your new home.jpg (83 KB, 671x427) Image search: [Google]
your new home.jpg
83 KB, 671x427
>frogposter
>pathfinder
>>
>>48332926
Admittedly most games don't provide a motivation then ask you make a charicter. If it did you could be like "my cleric is going to save the princess so that he will become respected, and be in position to expand his cults influince." Bam, there is a reason to be in the party and want to be a decent bloke. Sure you might dick some people over and kick pupies... but as long as you keep that shit kinda quiet it should be fine. But if the GM asks you to make a charicter with no context and you say LE cleric... he might ask why your cleric wants to join a group in foiling evil in the general sense. In this context you seem like your trying to shoehorn in your fetish. It is all about that context.
>>
>>48333246
The majority of evil people would totally on board with foiling other people's evil as long as they get something out of it - even if it's merely eliminating competition.
>>
>>48333246
I think if I did know the content of whats going to be happening id be more willing to switch. I feel like a large majority of stories can be bent for my Chelaxian LE Cleric just wanting to gain power and influence without ruining a campaign for my good party members.

Seeing as im inexperienced I will find out how this works out.
>>
>>48333064
>>48333142
>>48332967
>>48332926
Basically, the issue is there's only so much "screen time" in a group, and the more that you choose to play a character who doesn't mesh with the group, the more "screen time" will be taken up regarding your character, your character's motives, your character's problems, and interparty conflict.

Alternatively, there won't be enough screentime, and you'll just be "evil because my sheet says so" while being an otherwise completely normal character.

Either way, you either add wasted detail or you just waste people's time when they don't want to play that type of game.
Being a bastard sneakily won't work out like you think it will, it won't be fun for anyone else.

Just play a neutral character and channel negative.
>>
File: aclericofAsmodeus.jpg (130 KB, 778x1000) Image search: [Google]
aclericofAsmodeus.jpg
130 KB, 778x1000
>>48332926
>>48333064
Being a lawful evil cleric of Asmodeus has very little to do with being motivated by personal gain. It has everything to do with sacrificing to and worshiping the absolute ruler of Hell.

If you want to be a darker soul motivated by greed and personal gain, you don't have to be a priest of Golarionic Satan in order to do it.

This is the problem a lot of people have with the concept of having an evil party member is that a lot of players have the same misconception you do - that you have to go to the extremes.
>>
>>48332926
the problem is that you make role-playing difficult for the other players if they aren't also evil, it's not so bad if your character is just selfish, but if you are murdering people it's a different story
another player might feel like his character would turn you over to the town guard, but can't do that because then the GM has to divide the story, a chaotic good player might feel his character would just kill you in your sleep, but can't roleplay that because it would make you mad as a player
it makes things tough for the GM because he has to desperately find ways to keep to party from splitting
the basic point is that a sane person wouldn't willingly travel with a murderer, so now you have restricted anyone from role-playing as a sane person, but once again if your character is just an asshole then its not a big deal
>>
>>48332926
>Am I retarded or something?
For playing Pathfinder? Yes.
For playing an evil character in a not specifically specified evil campaign? Yes.
>>
>>48333064
It's fine to be motivated by personal gain, but you have to put limits on what you would do to gain it that an evil character wouldn't do. Otherwise, you'll mess up the game's tone, and cause intra-party conflict.
>>
When ever we have mix group where someone has to play Lawful Evil. There needs to be a goal the groups need to meet together. Say a greater evil, or end of the world kind of thing that units kingdoms, guilds, and adventures to join forces. That is how our DM always played. There is always an over arcing evil the looms in every one of our campaigns that pulls the strings. This way, you get a lot more freedom to pick from races, and alignments(excluding Chaotic Evil/Neutral).
>>
>>48336116
>Not just being old time friends too emotionally attatched to them to clearly see what they've turned into

Then if and when the party split occurs it becomes a wonderful tragedy play.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.