[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Only one 5e class will have an archetype that enables them to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: maidsword.jpg (93 KB, 798x893) Image search: [Google]
maidsword.jpg
93 KB, 798x893
Only one 5e class will have an archetype that enables them to wield an over-sized weapon.

Which class should it be?
>>
>>48328744
Wizard, obviously.
>>
>>48328744
>>48328772
The Dwarf-only Arcane Battle-Smasher archetype. They wield an over-sized waraxe or -hammer primarily, but they can use just about any simple or dwarven weapon of an overly sized proportion.
They specialize in medium armor and can trade spellslots for "counterspell", which is a concentration check with an attackroll that does force damage equivalent to Smite except with d4s
>>
>>48328744

The Bard.
>>
>>48328744
Fighter. Then the wizard will get a "summon thing carrying oversized weapon" spell.
>>
It's so clearly barbarian that I don't even want to say it
>>
Paladins who were good but turned evil and then turned good again.
>>
>>48328992

No it's not. Barbarians historically favoured one-handed swords, spears and handaxes. Big polearms and greatswords were, with only a few exceptions, used by state/feudal soldiery.
>>
>>48328744
I'd be inclined to say fighter, since it's the class based around mastery of weapons.
>>
>>48328744
There are no official rules for weapon sizes, and I doubt there will be. 5e is very, very fast and loose when it comes to it's weapons. They more or less go out of their way to explain that the weapons provided are just guidelines.

I could see oversized or overheavy weapons being a thing though.

Two handed, heavy, higher damage dice, never add proficiency to attack rolls.

There's also a decent 5e monkey grip feat out there.
>>
File: 1428937834387.jpg (419 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1428937834387.jpg
419 KB, 1000x1000
Quasi-related, I want to rekajigger the weapons, especially swords in 5e to slightly more accurately reflect their real life counterparts for autism purposes.

Thus far I've got

Dagger (1d4 S or P) Thrown, Light, Finesse, Simple
Short Sword (1d6 S or P) Light, Finesse, Martial
Rapier (1d8 P) Finesse, Martial
Estoc (1d8 P) Finesse, versatile (1d10), Martial
Arming Sword (1d8 S or P) Martial
Bastard Sword (1d8 S o P) Versatile (1d10), Martial
Longsword (1d10 S or P) Martial
Greatsword (1d12 S or P) Heavy, Martial

I also want a way to distinguish slashing weapons that inflict grievous wounds on bare flesh (sabres, scimitars, falchions, etc) ideally with a weapon attribute, and another that distinguishes weapons better suited to fighting armored foes. Any thoughts?
>>
>>48329397
Your choice not to continue the DnD-ism of longswords being shorter than bastard swords offends me.
>>
>>48328744
Weapons for large creatures IIRC have disadvantage and double damage dice.
>>
>>48328744

Giant Slayer, obviously.
>>
>>48329042
>historically
>D&D
>>
File: 1464375928475.png (1 MB, 1800x1800) Image search: [Google]
1464375928475.png
1 MB, 1800x1800
Ranger
>>
>>48328744
It's bladepact. It always has been bladepact. Bladepact lets you be proficient with any weapon. Proficient means you can use it.

Ergo, you can use any weapon, including over sized weapons.
>>
>>48332298
You can only use weapons that actually have stats for them, and since over-sized weapons did not have stats when Bladepact was written, you can't actually use them.

Otherwise, you could argue that you should be able to make your bladepact weapon into a sword the size of a mountain that deals 10,000d6 damage.
>>
>>48332393
RAW, you're correct, but as a DM I'd allow my warlock to live out his cloude strife fantasies.

He doesn't know he's a warlock. His patron is jenova.
>>
>>48329397
>Short sword
>Finesse

>Estoc
>Versatile

>Arming sword, bastard sword, and longsword in the same system

I'd suggesting scrapping it and starting over.
>>
>>48332026
Holy shit, this art is really really cool.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.