[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys. I've got a little dilemma. Last night, my character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 284x177
Hey guys. I've got a little dilemma. Last night, my character (who is a devout Zeus worshipper) was being dragged to his death by a giant squid. All sirens can die, btw. In a moment of desparation, he said a prayer to Posiedon. Tried to make a deal; get me out of this and I'll devote myself to you before Zeus. The only response was a lightning bolt striking the water near my character. Zeus wasn't happy. Then a prayer to zeus; "okay, if you think you could do better get me out of this shit." Long story short, Zeus revoked my favour with him and I can no longer call upon his aid. My dilemma is how should my character take this? I'm not a religious person myself. How would someone deal with being forsaken by a god they've devoted their life to?

Pic related: how my character feels?
>>
Bump for accurate rp
>>
>>48290746
Make a sacrifice or two. Sing his praises. Kill a priest of Poseidon.

Alternatively, count your blessings that you no longer have to put up with that vain prick and pick a new, better god.
>>
Why would an ancient greek god care that you worship another? It's part of the whole religion
>>
>>48290805
I can see Zeus getting pissy for something like that. It's one thing if you're some random fisherman praying to Posideon, but if you're like one of his champions or something he might throw a fit
>>
>>48290899
>>48290805

Yeah. The use of magic in any form is banned. My life's work has been to respread it as an extremely helpful and versatile tool given to mortals from the gods. I've been traveling for almost 45 years trying to accomplish this in the name of zeus. If magic is lost, the gods are forgotten. I frequently commune with zeus for guidance.
>>
File: images (26).jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images (26).jpg
10 KB, 300x168
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BLEBtvOhGnM

Press both pic and link (at the same time for maximum effect) to get your answer...
>>
>>48290746

For one so dedicated to Zeus, it's strange that he/she calls on Poseidon (which makes sense to you out of character) but in character for one who's life and breath is Zeus it's already a great sacrilege.

And then you just say "ok if you can do better" to the one god your character devotes itself to (supposedly).

For a religious zealot which you (questionably) are, you have a lot of disregard for your god, your one true god.

>how would I take it? Pic related a god turned into man

Yeah really. Believe is all that counts anon. Is there something you believe in so fervently, so intensely that you would give up anything for that? That's all that matters in religion.

And that's how you shall take the blow. The one thing you believe would save you in this wretched world, as long as you held onto your believe that Zeus would "protect you with his divine right". Well, that's gone now. Now you are alone.

Perhaps you go mad with grief, travel from shrine to shrine dedicated to Zeus, trying to find atonement for your disbelief in his powers.

Or perhaps you shrug it off as the metagamer you are and go on your merry way. Either way might work withou you explaining more of what the fuck is going on in your campaign.
>>
>>48290961
This. OP, you just acted OOC. A character who dedicated his life to zeus would pray to zeus for strength or help. You say it's pretty much the basis of his entire life but he flipped to another god immediately because he was in water? You just didn't play your character well. Being in water doesn't mean poseidon is the only one who can help you, and offering to DROP ZEUS immediately as part of that bargain wouldn't even be a concept. I'm not sure why you'd even throw that part in.
>>
>>48291023
You're really stretching his short and unspecific description to the very limit to describe one possible extreme. Frankly, we really don't know exactly what the character went through but I'm not sure why people in this thread are acting like crises of faith are in some way surprising or rare. He fucked up. He was scared and in that moment valued his life above his faith and, for whatever reason, thought Poseidon was a more practical avenue for getting out of danger. The exact way in which this went down could have any number of different implications or reasoning. Obviously I don't know OP's character's backstory at all, but this would be incredibly believable if he had never truly been in danger of dying before. I'm sure he's been in his fair share of combat before but the first time finding yourself in a position where you are truly weak and out of options and entirely at the mercy of another is insanely frightening and I can easily see that as a reason for his wavering faith.

OP, apparently your character survived. Was it that Zeus did save you but then stripped your powers? Because that would be a good opportunity to re-devote yourself to Zeus. Prove that, now knowing the limits of your own power and the limitless nature of his, you can be a devoted follower even without his blessing. Show that you can follow him even when it's hard to do so, as was your character's main failing.

Your character would probably be feeling some combination of anger and anguish at being spurned by his god, not that he didn't deserve it, and I think there's a good opportunity here for humility. You could definitely go the fuck gods/Zeus route here but that does seem a bit hackneyed to me personally I'd prefer it being a humbling experience.
>>
File: 490686-kronos.jpg (33 KB, 295x339) Image search: [Google]
490686-kronos.jpg
33 KB, 295x339
>>48290746
>forsaken by a god they've devoted their life to?

That's the kind of thing you do in modern, usually monotheistic, salvation-based religions.

With older religions the gods are a bunch of dickheads you do your best to keep happy since otherwise there will be plague and earthquakes and famine and all that shit.

So your character has committed the sin of hubris here, and now Zeus is pissed. This means you're fucked well and proper, and may soon end up literally being fucked unwell and improper if Zeus transforms you into an immortal little girl and leaves you in the company of the octodicked rapeocerous.

Everyone else would be well advised to keep well away form you, since the gods are known for shoddy aim and no concern whatsoever for collateral.

Now if such a fate isn't to your liking (and if it is, something that isn't will be brought about instead) your one hope is basically to start licking boots and kissing ass to make the petty, impulse, grudge-holding drunk with the lightning bolts forgive you. Sacrifice mountains of gold, loot, wine and meat to him. Fund shrines and temples. Erect huge statues all over the place. Go full brushie brushie on his ego.

Alternatively you find one of his sons and start talking very convincingly about the merits of sticking to family traditions.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.