[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Meanwhile, on female /tg/...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1.jpg (138 KB, 437x900) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
138 KB, 437x900
Why do boys always play as wizards or warriors? They never play normal classes like rogues or healers.
>>
Look at me, playing the Dee&Dee like some nerd xD, tee-hee~
Is that what you wanted, OP?
>>
File: the-discourse.jpg (59 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
the-discourse.jpg
59 KB, 500x500
>>48290479

I get what you're trying to do here, OP, but it won't end well. Also, ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
So like I forgot my make-up and had to leave the session and take a cab home because I can't be seen among people (taxi drivers aren't people) without being all caked out tee hee hee.
>>
[ooc]Wow, is this shit really what some of you think of da wimmenz? Holy fuck, no wonder we all get such a bad rep.

I'll try my hand at this.[/ooc]

Now, alright, I can dig the whole fantasy make-believe thing. The entire time we're growing up we're fed on Disney movies and being told it's alright to be a make-believe fantasy princess in a magical realm. We're given dolls and we play that out with them. Boys get GI Joes and little green army men and they're told that duty, honor, courage are all manly traits. But mostly that real men go out and kill things.

And therein lies the problem. When I play D&D, I want character-driven drama. Yes, that's going to involve combat, because desperate people turn to violence and sometimes it's the only way to deal with a problem. That said, there should be other ways to settle issues. Nobody sees themself as evil, and so there's nobody who can't be manipulated. Every time I sit down to play with a group of men, even when I don't get leered at because 'HOLY SHIT IT'S A GURL' I have to deal with people whose first, last and only response, the only one they find appropriate, involves swording or other various forms of violence. Even interrogations! They're like, what's magic? What're compulsions?

We understand that power takes many forms, that there's hard power and soft power, and that a few words and the right image can go pretty far. Just look at all the games we play in high school. D&D doesn't model that at all, and these neckbeards just don't get it. They don't understand that influence is its own power, and they think that all power comes at the end of a sword.

To take their own words, 0/10 pig disgusting, would not play again.
>>
>>48291594
That's not a problem between boys and girls, there are a lot of people out there that like role-playing things out instead of just murderhoboing. I'm one of them.
>>
>>48291774
>>48291594 here. You, you elegan/tg/entleman, are not the average D&D player I've run into. I think we can all admit that a lot of what we end up playing, unless we desperately try to avoid this, is action-driven adventure rather than character-driven drama and adventure. The deed becomes more important than the character and the motivations behind the deed.
>>
>>48291594
>da wimmenz
>[ooc]
>even when I don't get leered at because 'HOLY SHIT IT'S A GURL'

I'm a woman and you sound like more of an insufferable shit than most neckbeards I know.
>>
>>48291887
I usually automatically assume that you are the one I was replying to I guess we are all searching for the perfect group to play with. What you want is also probably harder to do than just "here's your dungeon, roll for attack". Tried to talk with your group about it?
>>
>>48291955
>>48291887
Here's an idea, you pretentious cunts; stop playing D&D.
>>
>>48290479
>influence is power
Do people actually believe this? Influence is worthless without the means to complete whatever objective you are influencing for. Influence is just telling people what to do, not giving them the way and how to do it. This has been shown in history time and time again
>>
>>48290479
please, elaborate on this idea that wizard and warrior are not normal classes, and that rogue and healer are. then, expound upon your assertion that this divide is gender based.

also, please provide examples( anecdotal is fine). then we could attempt a proper discussion of "whatever in the hell" you're creating a thread about.
>>
>>48291927
Hmm, well this seems to be derailing from posting mysoginistic misconceptions, so feel free to enlighten me. Non-sarcastic. I'm not going to pretend that I understand women.

>>48291955
I'm actually taking the opposite tack on this! I moved from a low-gaming area to a no-gaming area recently, so I'm building a group online of people who I think will also take interest in the whole character-driven drama thing.

>>48291983
I agree that D&D is shit, I already don't play and haven't in a long time. But let's not ITT edition/game wars, 'k?

>>48292093
Wow do you really believe this? You sad little man.
>>
I like healers, but I like rip-and-tearing more.
MY EDGE IS MY SCALPEL
>>
>>48292255
Influence is not power,
Power is power
>>
>>48290479
Oh, I get it, it's like a Bizarro /tg/ thread except not funny.
>>
>>48291594
Seriously, stop playing D&D if you want to decrease your chances of playing with murderhobo players. Right off the top of my head Unknown Armies, WoD, Fiasco and Delta Green are a few games that are made with character driven/narrative focused play in mind. Most rules light systems are a safe bet for this kind of thing. I'm not even saying that it's impossible to have the kind of game you're looking for with D&D, it's just that it attracts a high number of people that only understand RPGs to be "games where you kill monsters for XP and loot" so your chances of running into people looking for that and only that are higher.
>>
>>48292255
Get the fuck out, Ribs.
>>
>>48294276
>Seriously, stop playing D&D if you want to decrease your chances of playing

Fixed that for you. Your whole "D&D attracts problem players" is amusing, because the honest truth is that it's simply more of a case of "D&D attracts players," with problem players thrown in the mix.

All you're really trying to do is nefariously paint the game you don't like as some sort of great evil against the world, like you can blame it for anything other than being more successful than you'd like it to be, while supporting your claims with baseless conjecture built on your flawed perceptions.

In short, your advice is empty and practically political, and if he wants good players, he's just as likely to find them in the largest player base as he is scrounging around in the back alleys of Hipsterland and the Duchy of "I hate popular things."
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.