[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a feeling, /tg/. Feeling of suspicion. The amount of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: 1409116925188137835.jpg (29 KB, 670x321) Image search: [Google]
1409116925188137835.jpg
29 KB, 670x321
I have a feeling, /tg/. Feeling of suspicion.

The amount of people calling everything "edgy", "Mary Sue" or simmilar pejorative terms passed all the bounds long ago. While those are useful terms when used sparingly in cases of characters/things that are actually lowering quality of anything they are part of because of certain traits, BUT everyone and their mother now is theowing them at anything that bears just any resemblance to those traits, even if it (at example) acually creates a cool, likeable character that fits the story?

Could it be... a conspiracy of faggots that play edgy Mary Sues who are tired of being called out for their BS and now are trying to turn those terms into meaningless buzzwords nobody takes seriously?
>>
>>48272684
Ahh.. Nope.
>>
>>48272684
that doesn't sound right at all
>>
>>48272684
I can't decide if that counts as paranoia or having way too much free time to overthink something someone said on fucking 4chan of all places.
Probably the latter: paranoia is about shit that actually matters.
>>
>>48272684
thas the edgiest marysuery i've ever read
>>
>>48272684
I'm not part of any conspiracy, but I do often call characters /tg/ considers likeable Edgy Mary Sue Unique Special Snowflake Weeaboo Shitscribbles to deliberately devalue the term, yes. Fiddler from Malazan Book of the Fallen, Logen Ninefingers from The First Law, Doctor Makhslood from Throne of the Crescent Moon, I've trashed them all. Just to make the buzzword emptier and take legitimacy from people throwing it at Kvothe from the Kingkiller Saga.

What? You mad, bro?
>>
>>48272684

The words never meant anything to begin with. They started out as buzzwords for loosely defined fandom fads and then were over-applied almost immediately. The best you can do is just get in the habit of translating them to "I don't like this and I'm too lazy to figure out why."
>>
>>48272684
>Tumblr (n) 1. thing I don't like. 2. Someone who expressed positive interest in something I don't like. 3. Someone who voices irritation.

>Autist (n) 1. Person who said something I don't like. 2. Someone who is vaguely knowledgeable about a topic. 3. Someone whose argument I can't refute.

>Cuck (n) 1. A person, esp. someone who expressed positive interest in something I don't like.

>Edgy (adj.) 1. When someone refers to a topic I enjoy in an unflattering way.
>>
>>48273455
Yes, eat shit and die
>>
>>48273803
>words never meant anything

"Democrat detected."
- Merriam Webster

Words DO have meanings, but millennials don't seem to care. You know you're dealing with one when they unironically call a common English term a "meme."

>>48273838
>tumblresque

Emotional pleas lacking sound reason. Usually no more than some weak, unsupported assertion. Ref: Excuse Me, Sir.

>autist

A mental defect which precludes empathetic sensitivity - a condition which mimics sociopathy. Ref: Virt.

>cuckold

A voyeur who enjoys humiliation via their SO flaunting their infidelity. Ref: The WotC IDF.

>edginess

Abrasive contrariness for its own sake. Ref: Every "Fuck WH" topic posted to /tg/: the Warhammer board.
>>
>>48272684
Doesn't ring any bells. Better forget about it.
>>
>>48273838
>>Cuck (n) 1. A person,

k3k
>>
>>48272684
It's a bunch of useless memers who don't play games, cancerous crossboarders who came for quests and stayed for no reason, who'd rather call everything they don't like "shit" instead of attempting to engage in anything creative.
>>
>>48272684

Of course I've played edgy and Mary Sue characters, anon.

We all begin somewhere, and I started at the bottom.
>>
is this that stupid keanu reeves meme. fuck off faggot
>>
>>48274521
>Emotional pleas lacking sound reason.
Actually, it means any assertion that acknowledge human emotions, or any point of view that takes human emotions into account. Its haters prefer to consciously ignore the emotions of others while treating their own as soverign, though of course they won't admit to the latter when they're bashing people for having "bad" emotions.
>>
>>48274521
No autism does not mimic sociopathy - sociopaths are not impaired mentally or socially and can pass as perfectly normal people most of the time.
Autists generally don't interact with other people unless they have to and usually possess below average intelligence, but encyclopedic knowledge of the shit they like. It's easy to spot an autist.
>>
>>48273455
Kvothe is not edgy, but he did become a Mary Sue once he lost his virginity in the second book. It just got worse from there.
>>
>>48272684
No. Languages evolve over time as does storytelling.
>>
>>48273455
>You mad, bro?
nah
You're doing God's work, trying to destroy language like that.
>>
>>48274521
>Words DO have meanings
Yes, but what that meaning is is defined by the people who use it. If you're trying to claim that a language is defined by something arbitrary like the dictionary then I cannot fathom how incredibly messy you must think the production of the first one must have been.
>>
>>48277238
They are defined by their use socially.

Just because a few individuals use a word incorrectly does not mean that word now has a different definition. Languages change overtime as the meaning of a word expands and it's associations change not because someone called someone an autist just because someone pointed out a detai or claimed they were raped when someone looked at them.
>>
>>48277462
You have a very narrow understanding of linguistics.
>>
>>48272684
Edgy and Mary Sue are some of the least abused buzz words around 4chan, I think they're actually used correctly more often than not here.
>>
>>48272684
Yep, just like it happened with "autist" and "cuck"
>>
>>48272684
Given the picture you posted I'm going to assume you're an edgelord from /pol/ so the answer is probably no.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.