[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Helping the edgy player in our group
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1449364666126.gif (5 KB, 166x164) Image search: [Google]
1449364666126.gif
5 KB, 166x164
So i just joined a game, gm has brought in a new player on third session, he started telling us about his character and it is 13edgy666me, mysterious troubled past, hate for everyone but himself, sarcasm nd assholeness included.

I'm about ready to tell him this is a bad idea, find out the kid is only about 15, don't want to hurt his feelings and just say his character is terrible, also can understand he's and angst teen who is probably projecting.

Spent last couple hours making suggestions on how to change his character for the better, refuses to humanize his character or lose some of the edge

so he's entering the game with a sarcastic asshole who has lost everything, and loves nothing an no-one, has turned his back on his family and crown because he doesn't care about it, is depressed because as an elf he's lived so long everyone around him dies.

so... i don't wanna leave the game because he's not going to ruin the campaign by any means, he's just going to be real infuriating to deal with at times, what do you recommend?
>>
Have a sit down and discuss to him how to better flesh out his character, and how to discard particular things that ain't all that great in the manner of working with the group, while not just turning him into the groups dress up doll. If he objects, ask him why he objects, why a piece of his character is so important that it shouldn't be removed/vastly modified and work with him then to make that one aspect more matured out, while remaining true to his original intent.

His concept sounds workable the way you put it. Immortals/Long Lived characters becoming kind of nihilistic is a viable characteristic, using sarcastic comedy to keep their spirits up, and usually just theirs up. Perhaps inspire him to then develop his character to maybe gain hope with the group he's with and overcome their fatigue of being so damn old to give a shit as they adventure together and become a team.

Talk it out, and work as a team irl too.
>>
>>48270024
Go to /b/, save every image in a cringe thread that applies to people who generally think of themselves as edgy and cool(everyone with a fedora and/or katana and/or trenchcoat applies). Show him those images and tell him what makes his character different from them? Is it because he's handsome and well built? So then he's only different on the outside but inside he's an edgy aspie?
Make him question his choices the way you do.
Showing him the first episode of saiki kusuo might help if he's into anime... it just came out and it's about an esper who goes through daily life. He has a classmate afflicted with what they call ''chuunibyo", which is just moonspeak for 1337edgy555666777me. Show him how these characters just look like self-absorbed children.
Tell him how really scarred people try to go on through life showing interest in shallow talk and superficial relationships because they shield them from deep intrusion in their selves. Take him to the ER and let him talk to a doctor(if you're friends with one, otherwise don't bother them in their workplace), he'll see that someone surrounded by dead and dying every day is more chatty, just a little jaded and full of black humour.
You can even use the argument that this kind of character doesn't work for players because in the media it's usually featured(anime) they don't appear much, and since his character will be present most of the time it will get old fast.
Fuck, I mean, even videogames only let you play the edgy, cool, mysterious, mightier-than-the-protagonist dudes after you finish with the lamer characters(or after an installment or two, I'M LOOKING AT YOU ZERO, YOU MAGNIFICENT BLONDE ROBOT).
>>
>>48270024
So why's this character with the other PCs? If he hates everybody, working in a team is just asking for trouble. What can working with the group give him that he absolutely needs enough to break his antisocial behavior?

If he's pissed that everyone keeps dieing around him because he's so long-lived as an elf, why does he keep living in places without any other elves? That's a simple solution: just live with other elves, who are gonna have the same kind of lifespan as you.
>>
>>48270024
As usual, you should have said the exact same thing to him, not to /tg/, you cowardly faggot. If he isn't mature enough to understand it, you should either stop gaming with 15 year-olds or get used to immaturity.
>>
>>48270024
I've seen this before. First, let the DM deal with it. A creative referee can make players like this VERY entertaining for the rest of the group. If the kid is going to behave as bad as you say, then the DM should be playing up as many real-world consequences into the campaign milieu. He/She should make the Edgelord the one elected to be ambassador of the fictional kingdom! Make the Edgelord the one that has to win the princess' hand in (a purely political) marriage. Make the Edgelord have to sing showtoons to ward off a curse. That sort of thing. The player's job is to encourage teamwork. If Mr. Edgelord is not a team-player, then he can go scout for traps by himself, yannos?
>>
>>48270861
When i asked why he doesn't live with other elves he said it was because he was exiled, when asked why he was exiled he responded saying because he didnt fit in. when i asked if he ever tried to go back he said his brother threatened to kill him if he ever returned to the kingdom of elves.

>>48270991
and if you weren't a faggot you would have read that i have been talking to him, i didnt invite the 15 year old our GM did, and seeing posts like yours have gotten me pretty used to immaturity, quit being so hostile you neck beard piece of shit, be helpful or get out.

>>48271019
That is a good idea, i just brought up that to the GM, he is working on putting him in the heroic light more often, even maybe making him become the king he didnt want to be.

and if that doesn't work out, its also a good idea to send him in first. thank you.
>>
>>48271088
". . .because he didn't fit in." <-- A creative DM would immediately take advantage of the "why" here. Psoriasis or a 3rd nipple isn't enough. If he wants to be an Elven pariah, then make him an EPIC pariah! Hell, this even works as a full-blown title, Angsty McEdgy, Elven Pariaaah *guitar lick* lol

". . .he said his brother--" <-- Oh look DM, he just created your NPC for you! It sure would be a shame if someone (or something) impersonated Angsty back in his hometown, provoking the brother to hunt the real one down. Cheaper than hiring assassins.
>>
>>48271019
I wish my DM was a corgi. Everything would be so comfycore and fun.
>>
>>48270024
Sounds like a pretty standard elf, to be honest. Don't punish players for playing their characters. If you don't know how to handle a lone wolf without making the game difficult for everyone, then maybe everyone needs to improve the way they approach the game, and not just the offender.
>>
Kill him.
>>
>>48271088
>When i asked why he doesn't live with other elves he said...

No, Anon, ask him about working with the other player characters. Specifically the other player characters. Edgy McEdgelord characters can work and even be tolerable if you can drill into the players head that they need a reason to be working with the rest of the player characters; a misanthropic little shit who won't get too hung up about doing morally questionable shit can be a useful asset to a party.

As for how to not find him too infuriating - suck it up a bit. If he can make a character that's going to work with the group, which is going to require toning down some of his edginess, at least for his interactions with the rest of the party, then you can compromise a little bit too. You're not a fifteen year old, you should know that games like this are going to require a bit of compromise to make it work for everyone involved.
>>
>>48270024
beat the shit out of him is not legal, therefore, tell him to stop it, if he doesn't change let him die in the game, the other players must follow this line too.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.