[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, /tg/, I ordered one of these, since I'm a beginner,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 495x297) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 495x297
So, /tg/, I ordered one of these, since I'm a beginner, but it has just now come to my attention that I may not be able to play with it forever, since at least some groups require recent cards. Is there a way out of buying cards that become outdated or no?

Sorry for the noob question, I haven't even played the game yet outside of a computer screen, and thanks.
>>
>>48232636
It depends on what format you play. Standard is the only format that rotates, which means cards move out as others move in. Here is helpful site for seeing which sets are legal in Standard: http://whatsinstandard.com/. Outside of Standard, you don't have to worry about cards becoming outdated.
>>
>>48232636
You can always play kitchen-table, just find a local gaming group and see what kind of formats and decks they run.
>>
>>48232636
As an additional bit of advice, there isn't a whole lot of value to a deck builders toolkit. The decks that you will be able to assemble will be pretty low level. You are better served by figuring out what cards you need and purchasing those cards directly.
>>
File: 117075.jpg (13 KB, 234x450) Image search: [Google]
117075.jpg
13 KB, 234x450
If you want something that'll last, you need to find of many of these booster packs as you can, and buy all of them. This is set that you want to go for, this is set with all of the relevant staples that you'll want to build your decks with.
>>
>>48232935
Ha!
>>
Lots of people play standard unfortunately. It's lots of money to keep up with. Try commander. You can start cheap and add a card here and there to make your deck better.
>>
>>48232636
You're referring to formats, specifically the one called "Standard".
whatsinstandard.com

>Is there a way out of buying cards that become outdated or no?
There are other formats. Modern, Legacy and Commander are the biggest ones. Bear in mind that the cost of entry for Magic on any competitive level (in any format) will require buying expensive singles, rather than putting together decks from your booster pack pulls. Standard is a little cheaper, but not in the long term, since your cards lose almost all their value when they rotate out.

>>48232829
>You can always play kitchen-table
This desu. Playing casual games with your friends will really help you get better at everything from card analysis to deck building.

>>48232846
To be fair, the deckbuilder's toolkit is relevant to newbies in that it is a storage unit, and comes with enough basic lands and simple cards to kickstart deckbuilding.

>>48232935
Jesu Christo I laughed
>>
File: 1468038719700.jpg (35 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
1468038719700.jpg
35 KB, 375x523
>>48233036
Just as anon said, kitchen table (playing basically any card printed) is a great way to go.
You don't have to swap out every few months and your deck keeps getting better as you play.
>>
>>48232952
He could have said ''Fallen Empires ''
>>
>>48232935
Jokes on you. Every pack he opens has a Blood Moon.
>>
>>48233036
>>48232829
>>48234125
Not OP but ....
I really enjoy kitchen magic and have been playing it since I was 11. But now that I'm 28 I don't have anyone to play casually with. I recently taught my gf to play but it's going to be quite a while before she becomes a decent opponent. I'm considering starting playing MTGO, they have League Sealed play now which may be the perfect casual format for me. What do you guys think?
>>
>>48238976
of course playing over internet with random people is not the same but at least it's playing the game. I've been basically hording and sleeving/unsleeving cards for the last couple of years lol
>>
>>48232636
NO

Magic is like crack cocaine you have to keep spending money to have fun

Or you can play different versions of the game that have gay rules with spergs who customize their decks with thousands of dollars so its impossible to win, and all their decks are just copies of 3 or 4 champion decks off the internet

The best thing is opening day, go to a store on the weekend that the cards come out, spend 25 bucks, and play with fresh cards that everyone has to play by, this way you get new cards and have fun

Another great way to play is pile all the cards in one deck with no mana and you can use the cards as manna and everyone draws from the same deck

i forget what thats called but it makes the most fun games
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.