[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Realism, Sword attack damage, and Strength
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Wow.jpg (48 KB, 538x398) Image search: [Google]
Wow.jpg
48 KB, 538x398
Hey guys. I'm in the long, arduous process of trying to create a pen and paper role playing game from scratch because I am not satisfied with other available systems. I half expect to never complete this, and I am doing this in large part simply because it's a fun learning exercise.

I am not going to be a strict slave to realism, but I would like to know the answer to this question of realism regardless, in order to guide my work. I believe that immersion is very important, and I believe that keeping realism as much as reasonable is important to realism.

Put simply, according to the following two youtube videos by scholagladiatoria and skallagrim, Strength is of only marginal benefit to a swordsman in a sword fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3OIjpLSaYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip-_vEPotYo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cNO6uRqUcE

I've managed to find this web page that seems to have measured impact force for a sword strike with proper form and technique, and a sword strike that just goes balls out for the hardest hit possible. The difference is a factor of 10!

http://weaponsofchoice.com/extras/weight-effort-and-force/

This fits the description from the above two videos.

Is this right? Is this realistic? How would this pan out in a pen and paper role playing game? Specifically, how would damage from a sword attack scale with Strength?

Or maybe I'm overlooking something. Maybe it's simply that weak persons might not be able to do as much damage in one cut as a strong person, but in the real world, even a less damaging cut is going to win the fight, because the first cut in the real world usually wins the fight.

Thoughts guys?

PS: Picture barely related.
>>
ridiculous high damage by multiplying by your skill. strength gives a slight bonus before multiplying.
Adjust hitpoints or whatever wounding mechanic you use as needed
>>
>>48222315
Maybe it depends on the weapon? A sword may need skill to be used effectively, but with some more 'primitive' weapons there is not much room for skillfull usage, only raw strength.
>>
>>48222315
Try Runequest6
>>
>>48222315
So have you heard of Riddle of Steel?
>>
>>48222524
I have. I need to look into it. It's on my "TODO" list. However, it might just present rules, without explaining in depth the reasoning for those rules. I want to understand how the real world works, before going on to design rules / adopt a system.
>>
>>48222536
So you realize the Riddle of Steel is the closest most game systems ever come to, right realism? And if that's not enough we have a community for Song of Swords, a game developed by people who think even TRoS is not enough in terms of realism.
>>
>>48222551
I did not realize that. I did hear murmorings of such claims regarding realism, but "grain of salt" about such claims. Worse, I am not in a position where I can really properly vet those claims because of my complete lack of first person experience with any sort of weapon martial arts.
>>
>>48222551
But thanks for that. I'll definitely look into it later, and at least read the PDFs and associated forums as relevant.
>>
>>48222581
Song of Swords is regularly played by HEMAfags, just ask them how things work in the general.
>>
>>48222581
If you didn't know, TRoS was written by a veteran HEMA instructor (and former soldier if that matter), in case you doubt his own first-hand experience.
Now I understand how the "why is that like that" an important question as well.
>>
>>48222468
That analysis is completely ignorant and ignores everything about a fighter that is not his weapon such as technical expertise, timing, spacing, endurance (mental and physical), grit, killer instinct, experience, temperment, and relative attitude such as cautiousness or boldness.
>>
>>48222516
This. STR+DEX+skill to hit, STR+Size determines the minimal extra damage you get, and there is no modifier beyond the range of -1d4 to +1d4 damage you might get depending on size and strength.

Your skill and magical influence is 80% of the combat ability in the game, and your stats help but not a ton.
>>
>>48222315
What games have you even played that you ask this question?

Have you tried *any* crunchy realistic system?
>>
>>48222315
Did you try GURPS OP?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.