[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm playing a flail snail in a Pathfinder game and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
So I'm playing a flail snail in a Pathfinder game and I'm wondering: Have you ever played a non-verbal character? Was it fun? What made it work?
>>
File: Magi Arba Young.jpg (121 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Magi Arba Young.jpg
121 KB, 1280x720
The closest I've ever come is playing a Witch in Pathfinder who never spoke due to trauma and an abusive childhood, and instead her familiar did all her speaking for her.

The familiar itself was just a subconscious manifestation of her thoughts and feelings though, so I'm not sure if it counts.
>>
File: 1421046147608.gif (344 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1421046147608.gif
344 KB, 256x192
>>48220428
>never spoke due to trauma and an abusive childhood, and instead her familiar did all her speaking for her.
That's still verbal, dumbass.
>>
Subconcious, eh? A familiar like that could sometimes be at odds with what she'd prefer to say or reveal. Which is cool, if I'm understanding you right.
>>
>>48220518
As long as the player put a barrier between the character and communication and then played it up, it's relevant to my interest, anon.
>>
>>48220528
Yeah, for the most part. No filter. Although the familiar only spoke when there was significant emotional weight or other significance to the things the character wanted to express. It wasn't just randomly speaking aloud every tiny little mundane thought the character had.
>>
>>48220594
Also, sometimes it wasn't always a verbal expression. When the character was nervous, for example, it would translate into the familiar growling and acting like a wary guard dog, despite it being established pretty early on that that it had little reason to care for it's own safety (as a subconscious manifestation made by magic, every time it was "killed" it would simply reform the next day after the character had rested and recharged her magic. There was nothing there to actually "kill", althought nobody, not even the character herself, actually knew what happening with this apparently immortality.) When the character was calm, the familiar would be asleep and quiet, sometimes for an entire day at a time, if it had a been an uneventful session. And during an eventful session it would stay awake for a day or more at a time, even while the character herself slept, if the sleep was uneasy.
>>
>>48220390
I haven't, but in a Pathfinder game set in Ravnica, the barbarian was a mute since her tongue was cut out.
In truth, the player just was more into combat than roleplaying, so the other Gruul character (a savage skald) interpreted for her when she occasionally could contribute to the narrative.
>>
>>48220704
I'm playing with a similar language barrier. Flail snail sign's a limited way of communicating, even with the party's innovations. Slime trails are where it's at, but nobody reads those.

>>48220664
I like it. My party's on the Plane of Dreams and we're using rules for burning hopes and goals to gain temporary bonuses. Tends to change you as a lerson. I'm hoping to use that and the fact that dreams are somewhat tangible as a way to imply to the party what Sneel's been trying to say in all their time together.
>>
>>48220390
if you're playing a literal snail, you could just bring some hand cream with you, and everytime someone asks you a question, just put some on your hand and make squishy sounds that would even make a hentai sound effect guy awkward.

Maintain eye-contact with whoever you're squishing at.
>>
>>48221385
Alternatively, fist a jar of mayo, stir a pot of macaroni or finger a jello cup.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.