[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you mixed holy water with oil, could you produce something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: tfw.png (168 KB, 699x649) Image search: [Google]
tfw.png
168 KB, 699x649
If you mixed holy water with oil, could you produce something like dangerous holy fumes?
>>
>>48193927

>mixing oil and water

Seven words in and you fuck up already.
>>
File: FAE.jpg (6 KB, 350x205) Image search: [Google]
FAE.jpg
6 KB, 350x205
>>48193927
>>48193938
I think he meant closer to conceptually mixed, not physically, i.e. a kind of oil which has been blessed to be holy.

Of course, the bigger question here is: If you can make holy oil, can it be used in holy fuel-air bombs?
>>
You could just steal the magic mormon oil vials and not have to mix in water.
>>
File: Botafumeiro.jpg (313 KB, 600x783) Image search: [Google]
Botafumeiro.jpg
313 KB, 600x783
>>48193927
It might be more thematically appropriate to make it some sort of sacred incense burned in a fancy censer if you want undead-destroying smoke weapons.
>>
>>48194219

Or go the Terry Pratchett route and just bless candles, creating undead-harming light.

Also, can't you just use sage for anti-undead purposes, or is that just spirits?
>>
>>48194161

If you can bless water, can you not also bless oil? Water has many properties, and perhaps the ability to retain holy blessing, either by the nature of the god or the nature of the material, is one of them. But if you can bless the oil directly, I suppose there's no need to get alchemical on this like >>48194040 suggests.

Although holy alchemist sounds like a fun concept, even if I'm unsure of how it would operate.
>>
>>48194243
>Or go the Terry Pratchett route and just bless candles, creating undead-harming light.

That was a bluff.
>>
>>48194307

You sure? Seemed to actually work.

I mean, using arsenic in the candles actually created poison light.
>>
>>48194286
>Holy Alchemist
well now I know what I'm trying next game session.
>pic actually related
>>
File: Arrogant_Father_Cornello.jpg (24 KB, 530x400) Image search: [Google]
Arrogant_Father_Cornello.jpg
24 KB, 530x400
>>48194333
fucking captcha
>>
>>48194316
>I mean, using arsenic in the candles actually created poison light.

It released the arsenic into the air, it didn't "poison light".
>>
>>48194355

Given how fucky Discworld is with the logic surrounding form, function, magic, and holiness, I wouldn't put it past how the setting works.
>>
>>48194355
Maybe you can get away with a priest blessing a bonfire, and anything that's lit from that bonfire is holy.
>>
>>48194316
Discworld vampires are also only vulnerable to holy symbols that they recognise. So it seems that what the vampire believes is a factor in what they are weak to.

As for the arsenic in the candles, remember that Vetinari figured them out and was faking the symptoms until Vimes also worked it out.

>>48194286
>If you can bless water, can you not also bless oil?
That's what the Imperium does for its flamethrowers.
>>
I wanted to put incense into smoke grenades
>>
File: Alucard_Jackal.png (423 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
Alucard_Jackal.png
423 KB, 1000x563
>>48194435
>modern battle priest with incense smoke grenades and holy bullets.

this is some hellsing shit.
>>
>>48194414
It could work, but vampire weaknesses in Discworld vampires work depending on the vampire's (and the people around them) faith. In Carpe Jugulum a vampire overcame the weakness to holy water by not giving a fuck about tradition.
>>
File: K8ySn3e.gif (41 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
K8ySn3e.gif
41 KB, 200x200
>>48194496
>A holy city protected with lanterns lit by a holy flame maintained by the holy leaders of the city is
in ruins by a vampire that doesn't
believe in their god.

I need to make some notes.
>>
>>48194496

But they also turned crazy and had their blood cravings replaced with tea because they drank Granny Weatherwax's blood. Though that's because Granny Weatherwax has a ridiculous willpower score and understands magic better than you ("you" meaning everyone).

Though they use the same trick to help vampires function in mixed society. The one from Monstrous Regiment focused his actually her bloodlust into coffee.
>>
>>48194550
Then their ability to ignore religious symbols failed and they really regretted being taught the symbols of most faiths on the Disc because they could see religious symbols everywhere.
>>
>>48194307
>>48194316

You both need to reread Feet of Clay, the arsenic candles released poison fumes not poison light, and the holy candles were infused with holy water, under the theory that when the water evaporates it just leaves holy.

Being the discworld the plan works.
>>
>>48194286
The Russian Orthodox Church blesses gunpowder and rocket fuel.

Now you know.
>>
>>48194586

It was a good book. I'll slate it for a re-read after I'm done with Good Omens.
>>
>>48194608
From memory, the evaporated holy wasn't how Vimes planned to subdue the vampire. Just how he planned to get the vampire to confess to the arsenic candles.
>>
>>48194286
>If you can bless water, can you not also bless oil
Of course. It is actually needed for a couple of sacraments at least:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrism
>>
>>48194657
As I said in >>48194307

It was a bluff. The Vampire wavered but realised it's abluff, he had to be subdued in some other manner.
>>
>>48194286
>If you can bless water, can you not also bless oil?

Kings are anointed with blessed oil.
>>
>>48194688

Well, there's IRL, and there's fantasy, and many different religions in many different fantasy settings, so it would depend on the rulings but there's a very good case for sacred oils rooted in IRL examples.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.