[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64
File: 2lc.jpg (36 KB, 200x267) Image search: [Google]
2lc.jpg
36 KB, 200x267
>Ïa! Ïa! /ysg/!

>Lovecraft Edition

This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian /tg/ (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.
>Previous Thread:
?

>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
http://www.eldritchdark.com
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive

>Self Explanatory
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
https://mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Recommend things to put in the next OP

>

>Cthulhu lies fapping

>Please create a new thread when the Bump Limit has been reached and we are in the Lower Pages or if the old thread dies.
>If you don't Nyarlathotep will shitpost in other threads.
>>
File: 1467603688316.jpg (47 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1467603688316.jpg
47 KB, 1366x768
Get your Lovecrafts, free Lovecrafts!
>>
File: 1465599679914.jpg (93 KB, 620x772) Image search: [Google]
1465599679914.jpg
93 KB, 620x772
>/ysg/ is back
>>
File: DSC03871.jpg (204 KB, 1127x1600) Image search: [Google]
DSC03871.jpg
204 KB, 1127x1600
I finally watched AM1200 yesterday, and I loved it. Well, maybe loathed is the better word, but in a positive sense. Definitely a good piece with Lovecraftian elements. Pretty easy to turn into a CoC 'adventure' too.
>>
>>48181969
Never heard of it, what's the deal?
>>
>>48181969
>>48182017
Seconded, tell us.
>>
Yog-Sothoth best elder god

THE WATCHER, THE KEEPER OF KEYS AND GUARDIAN OF GATES
>>
File: 1465857266842.jpg (337 KB, 977x1210) Image search: [Google]
1465857266842.jpg
337 KB, 977x1210
>>48182246
He's also the entire Universe.
>>
File: Nyarlathotep by douzen.jpg (127 KB, 900x1104) Image search: [Google]
Nyarlathotep by douzen.jpg
127 KB, 900x1104
>>48182246

>elder god

But he's an Outer God, anon...
>>
>>48182506
Precise categorization is the enemy of horror.
>>
>>48182605
A sage truth.
>>
>>48182506
>has a third arm for a dick

whut
>>
>>48182660
More original than a third leg.
>>
>>48182605

But you just categorized it as an Elder God. If you're going to bother categorizing him at all, it might as well be the correct category.
>>
>>48182685
First, I'm not >>48182246. Second, my point is that elder god vs. outer god vs. great old one /shouldn't/ be categories, except in the vaguest sense; there is no 'correct' categorization for a cosmic horror. None that can fit inside a human mind, anyway. An enemy with defined characteristics is always less scary than one with undefined characteristics, and thus such definitions are to be avoided; a cosmic horror story should only include categories to violate them.
>>
>>48182506
Nah, he's a hoopy frood.
>>
>>48183052
no u
>>
>>48182157
>>48182017

You can watch it, for free, on Vimeo. It's only forty minutes to boot. vimeo.com/102372269

Bascially a businessman does something stupid and is on the run, hears a strange radio transmission, and ends up at the radio station where terrible things lurk.
>>
>>48183052
Nyarly is the hoopiest of froods.
>>
Is Thomas Ligotti his literary successor?
>>
>>48187267
Ab-so-lutely.
>>
>>48181700
>mfw I helped create yog-sothothery
>>
>>48181817
>my pic is posted
yeee
>>
Generally speaking, Shub, Hastur, and Nyarly seem to make for the best modern day horrors, right? What are some of the more obscure creatures you've used in your game?

I've always wanted to use the racist street that ate people.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (190 KB, 974x904) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
190 KB, 974x904
>>48189034
So that's where Morrison stole Danny the Street from.
>>
>>48189034
Yog-Sothot is pretty good as well, considering he pretty much is space-time. Messing around with particle accelerators or studying spatial topology might have unintented consequences when the space-time continuum is alive and aware of you poking at it.
>>
>>48189445
Also because old yoggy isn't a malevolent cunt like Nyarlathotep.
>>
https://mediadiversified.org/2014/05/24/the-n-word-through-the-ages-the-madness-of-hp-lovecraft/
>>48189034
I forgot the story about the street. I looked it up, and bumped into this. I wasn't sure it was about the Bolsheviks or not at the end.

The article just preaches on how Lovecraft was racist, and how we all know that. Fair points. It is in his writings, as well. Racism doesn't drive the plot, nor does it hold the meaning of his stories. It was always the fear of the unknown in many forms, be it an ancestor, a dark city, a problematic neighborhood, or even a place seeing how it was swapped between people.

Are these valid points to take change the award being in the shape of HPL? Is it insulting to give out awards in such a form to colored writers? HPL should be remembered for his writings, and that's why the award exists, but his writings seldom stem from racism.

I'm on the fence, and I am curious what you lot might think about it.
>>
>>48189667
People are always free to decline the award. No one has ever declined a Nobel Prize because the founder was implicit in thousands of deaths.
>>
>>48189445
a scientist at CERN finds a note crumpled up on his desk:
"stop that, I'm ticklish -- Yogg-Sothoth"
>>
>>48189445
On of my favourite stories involving the Hounds of Tindalos was centred around someone inventing a tachyonic antitelephone.

It works quite well until they start getting messages telling them and then begging to just turn it off.
>>
>>48189034
>nobody has used Y'golonac
It hurts man
>>
>>48189890
I did. I ran Love's Lonely Children.

It's fucked up as all hell.

Which is fun.
>>
Does anyone know where I can find an ebook copy of I Am Providence (the biography)? I'm not used to downloading books and Im a complete poorfag in a shitty country so even finding a paper copy is right out.
>>
>>48189906
May those that dwell in the dark bless you a thousand times.
>>
>>48189912
Bumped.
>>
>>48189912
found it in 3 seconds on kat.cr
try harder next time
>>
File: japanese shub-niggurath.png (681 KB, 1115x1600) Image search: [Google]
japanese shub-niggurath.png
681 KB, 1115x1600
I hope y'all niggas are reading the greatest love story ever told.
>>
>>48190481
I feel conflicted about this.
>>
>>48187713
Thank you for using the proper term instead of the more popular "Cthulhu Mythos".

When the Old Ones return, you will be the first to be granted merciful release from this life.
>>
Alright, /tg/, let's talk mash-up.

Lovecraftian zombie apocalypse.

How does it happen?
What does it look like?
How does it vary from established zombie tropes?
How does it conform to established zombie tropes?
How does Michonne's katana still manage to cut through it?
>>
>>48190960
Maybe Glaaki would cause it?
>>
File: Why We're Here.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Why We're Here.pdf
1 B, 486x500
http://www.mediafire.com/download/lipi5basa4wdxr1/Baby%27s+First+Mythos.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dtuswsf8u66bprs/American+Costume+1840-1920.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/c3d0mfbddr0f6gh/Encyclopedia+of+Ancient+%26+Forbidden+Secrets.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2olxbcu30jp4p9f/Encyclopedia+of+Demons+and+Demonology.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/xou2qc5b7qmgjag/Encyclopedia+of+Extinct+Animals.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1kwo0e18n0x8im0/Encyclopedia+of+Ghosts+and+Spirits.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qcor4971cbe9x09/Encyclopedia+of+Mythology.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wr5jc9t0pyz0qhz/Encyclopedia+of+the+Mafia.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dmng4bw6ew9k6gm/Encyclopedia+of+the+Unusual+and+Unexplained.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/huc41es50p579oj/Encyclopedia+of+Unsolved+Crimes.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/b0i3nan78smuim9/Haunted+Places+in+the+USA.pdf
>>
File: Cthulhu Colouring Book.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu Colouring Book.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Pardon me boy,
Is this the Lair of Great Cthulhu?
In the city of slime,
Where it is night all the time.

Bob Hope never went
Along the road to Great Cthulhu,
And Triple-A has no maps,
And all the Tcho Tcho's lay traps.

You'll see an ancient sunken city
Where the angles are wrong.
You'll see the fourth demonsion
If you're there very long.
Come to the conventicle,
Bring along your pentacle,
Otherwise you'll be dragged off by a tentacle.

A mountain's in the middle,
With a house on the peak.
A gnashin' and a thrashin'
And a clackin' of a beak.
Your soul you will be a lackin'
When you see that mighty Kraken.
Ooo-ooo, Great Cthulhu's startin' to speak.

So come on aboard,
Along the Road to Great Cthulhu,
Wen-di-gos and Dholes
Will make Big Macs of our souls.

Under the sea,
Down in the ancient city of R'lyeh,
In the Lair of Great Cthulhu
They'll suck your soul away...
(Great Cthulhu, Great Cthulhu
--- Suck your soul ---
Great Cthulhu, Great Cthulhu)
...In the Lair of Great Cthulhu,
They'll suck your soul away!
>>
Just started reading the collected works of Lovecraft. Good stuff, I highly enjoy it.
>>
>>48191102
I'm half way through right now. Just finished The Colour Out of Space. I would have sworn it was a parable about nuclear radiation if I didn't know the date it was written.
>>
>>48189667
>Are these valid points to take change the award being in the shape of HPL?
No.
S. T. Joshi has written pages of rebuttals regarding this and returned his own awards after the change decision has been finalized. You can read them on his blog.

One of the few, if not the only racism or xenophobia-driven story Lovecraft has written is The Street, and it's pretty much a universal consensus that that story is fucking awful. Using it as a setting for a campaign is genius though.
>>
>>48191872
I agree regarding the story, but I just thought this would be the best place to ask what people feel about Lovecraft, his racism, and people who are insulted by his opinions getting awards in his shape.

S.T. Joshi rips this apart, obviously. I didn't even consider the fact that they honor Lovecraft's work by having the award with his features, and not honoring his political views.
Still, the poem that caused this uproar is to this day hilarious in every shape and form: A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,/ Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.
>>
>>48192106
Don't get me wrong discussion is of course welcome, but I think people should be aware of what Joshi has written on the subject and build on that instead of trying to make the same arguments, it'd be a waste of time.
But to address one of the salient points that comes every single time and that blows my mind all the time, is they never address the fact that reading Lovecraft's letters is basically like reading his thoughts. The article even comments on this: "and seemed to have no filters". But of course the thing is, if everybody was as honest as Lovecraft was... ho ho! Do I even need to say anything?
I'm pretty damn sure that most white Americans of his days harbored pretty much the same thoughts, but never actually committed them to writing. So somehow their silence means that they weren't like Lovecraft, and Lovecraft's voice means that he was literally Hitler. Except not, because he never actually supported any anti-minority causes other than rant about it, and he didn't even mistreat the people he saw as shit.

To be fair to the article is actually slightly calmer and better thought out than the many other similar articles, but the very end tells you all: that for that writer, Lovecraft was racist first (I also love how antisemitism is separate from racism for some reason, what the fuck) and a writer second... and a complex human being with many unlikeable traits like all of us last.
>>
>>48192106
>>48191872
>>48189667
It wouldn't bug me so much if they hadn't arbitrarily decided to make the bust that of some unknown female black author who didn't create an entire genre of writing.
>>
>>48192525
They also conveneitnly avoid the fact that in his letters he apologized for being racist and said his wife had made him see that his attitude was horrendous and ignorant.

That's right, they ignore the fact that he turned away from racism and apologized for it. Isn't that what their whole movement is all about?
>>
>>48183422
Well, I guess I know what I'm doing on the train home
>>
>>48192578
What letter(s) was this?
>>
>>48189667
The radical left just wanted the thing to be a black person. That's seriously all there is to it.
>>
>>48192525
I agree entirely, and they only showed that one horrible, but bloody hilarious poem, which sparked the entire debate.
Not to mention the convention was created in 1975, and it was based around Lovecraft, it's the main reason the convention exists.
It is a curious thing as to why they didn't choose Tolkien as their face. Maybe even Shelley, Machen, Dunsany, Poe.
They also throw away the argument of "Product of his time, and disastrous childhood." like if it was nothing.
BUT it's not just the letters that have racism in them. Jermyn's story (race mixing), Red Hook (huge influx of immigrants and their paganism), Innsmouth (niggers at a beach), Rats in the walls (towards colonials), Re-animator (gorilla nigger). He kind of embraced his views on race in his works, not just in lettes. The ending of the article is outright insulting, yes.
>>48192567
It had to be a minority, and a female, I guess, because a nigress got angry and some latino sparked the petition.
>>48192578
Yeah, the article cites letters from the end of his life, and how his racism still holds, though. 1936:
[Hitler’s] vision is of course romantic & immature, & colored with a fact ignoring emotionalism … There surely is an actual Hitler peril–yet that cannot blind us to the honest rightness of the man’s basic urge … I repeat that there is a great & pressing need behind every one of the major planks of Hitlerism–racial-cultural continuity, conservative cultural ideals, & an escape from the absurdities of Versailles. The crazy thing is not what Adolf wants, but the way he sees it & starts out to get it. I know he’s a clown, but by God, I like the boy!–Letter from Lovecraft to Donald Wandrei, November 1936.
It's not as fierce as the earlier ones sure, but he agrees with dealing with minorities, and getting them out of white countries, but yes, you are right, he didn't agree with how, he just didn't like the idea of race mixing and multiculturalism.
>>
>>48192678
Well of course from time to time racist passages pop up in his writing, but none of his works aside from The Street are actually writings based on the WASPS ARE THE REALEST NIGGAZ EVERYBODY ELSE FUCK OFF view.
I don't agree that Rats has racism in it though. Colonials aren't a race and it's the story of white men falling into sickening depravity solely due to their own fault. It's also worth noting that the unga bunga type of minorities in Lovecraft are not particularly dangerous. White men on the other hand... we got white boys stealing corpses and raising the dead, white boys possessing their own descendants and having torture dungeons of magic zombies, white boys infecting their offspring with a fragment of ancient oneness, white boys setting up breeding-torture-cannibalism dungeons, mutated incestuous white boys living in tunnel networks, white boys becoming cannibalistic because they looked at some pictures, white boys harboring artifacts of the old ones, white boys setting up a rape cult with fishmen on their own community, and much more. The truly horrific humans in Lovecraft's fiction are always whites, the non-whites are generally "mere" degenerates. But the racism critics never bring this up.
>>
>>48192591
Letters to Poe.
>>
>>48192899
Fuck. Never thought of it like that. I was so under that veil of insulted minorities that I didn't even consider how disgusting white characters were in his stories. Damn, this stuff is dangerous to the mind.
>>
>>48190481
Sauce?
>>
>>48192918
I can't find anything called "letters to Poe" m8
>>
>>48192899
>>48192971
Makes sense when you consider that one of Lovecraft's main fears, and also the reason for his racist views, was the degradation of civilization. More specifically, he considered Victorian-era British culture to be the pinnacle of civilization, and that everything has gone downhill from there. His racism largely stems from the idea that any foreign influence would make western (specifically anglo-saxon; as far as he was considered any other western cultures were as bad, at at most barely better, than non-western ones) culture worse by diluting its "Englishness".

Thus you commonly see in his fictions civilized people (read: white anglo-saxons) falling to atavism and depravity, and cults/deep ones/other hidden influences corrupting society from within. The "scary minority" people are less dangerous because they're merely "acting according to their nature", and therefore less horrifying than people who should be "better" descending to depravity.
>>
>>48189835
Does anyone know what this story is?
>>
>>48194995
One Way Conversation by Bryan M. Sammons.

It's in the "Horrors Beyond" collection, here's some reviews of the collection itself, including the stories: http://www.epberglund.com/RGttCM/nightscapes/NS16/ns16rev-a.htm#horrors
>>
>>48195065
Thanks
>>
>>48195065
Er, Brian, sorry.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R1gIp5coYI

It is Majestic 12, isn't?
>>
File: IoOG_WIP.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
IoOG_WIP.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Reposting this since I finished it pretty close to the end of last thread. It's the second Lovecraftian DnD 5th edition thing. Unless somebody has any comment on changes I should make or ideas for some more spells, I'll probably just do the finishing touches (fix typoes, find a cool looking coverpage) on this one and be done with it.
>>
>>48195153
Maybe 15 years ago. Delta Green is official again.
>>
>>48195418
I wouldn't mind seeing more archetypes and variants for other classes.

Like the idea of a Yithian mind-swap sorcerer.

Others could be: Tomb Robber Roguish Archetype, Oath of Dagon for Paladins, Sorcerer Hunter Martial Archetype, or the Circle of the Black Goat for Druids
>>
>>48191094
Were souls even part of Lovecraftian fiction?
>>
>>48197104
I doubt it, it would imply humanity possesses something immortal and of value. Nyarlathotep probably just likes convincing people to sell him their 'souls' since it represents passing a point of no return for people who believe in it.
>>
>>48196200

>being a Yithian

The problem with that is that you'd know too much. You'd have way too much information to be able to plausibly NOT be baffled by simple problems like PCs can be.
>>
>>48197152
The idea was more that you'd picked up some alterations from your time as one of their vessels.

Think like Jack Walters in DCotE And just like him, it might be a bloodline thing, fitting in with the other sorcerer origins
>>
>>48191094
MusicAnon, were you the one that used the Earthworm Jim theme to create one for Nyarlathotep?
>>
>>48198221
Nah, that was me, this one's someone else entirely.
>>
File: image.jpg (289 KB, 1024x1448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
289 KB, 1024x1448
>>48190481
Why would a humanoid Shubby look like that when she'd probably look like this.
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 802x995) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 802x995
>>48198255
Aw... Still good work.
>>48198297
>>48190481
Or this for slightly cuter Shubby
>>
File: image.jpg (535 KB, 1938x1454) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
535 KB, 1938x1454
>>48198319
Is it bad I find this one fuckable?
>>
>>48198370
Eh, not really, she's pretty hot. My question is why she has a drink in her hands?
>>
>>48198533
It's from some lovecraftian smut comic. I forget the name.
>>
Congratulations, you've been selected for a Mi-go brain removal. Any last words?
>>
>>48199617
Gusset
>>
>>48199617
HASTURHASTURHASTUR or maybe if I'm feeling sadistic Y'golonac
>>
>>48190960
>>48191052

Here's what causes it: The Stars Come Right.

When the Stars Come Right, it is said that Man Will Be As The Old Ones. That is generally interepreted as meaning mad, free from the false shackles of good and evil - but it also applies to our relationship with life and death. We would, like the Old Ones, live and be in a death-like state, but never REALLY die when the stars were wrong - but once the stars come right death ends for humanity. Those that were dead rise again, their minds removed (or ascended) by their contact with the void beyond death.
>>
>>48199777
I quite like this idea.

Although the going mad part also reminds me a bit of Crossed, which is like zombies without the dead part.
>>
I ordered a Yellow Sign sticker for my guitar
>>
File: Tom_Bombadil_2.jpg (203 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Tom_Bombadil_2.jpg
203 KB, 1024x768
Ia! Ia! Iarwain Ben-adar fhtagn!
>>
>>48201842
I bet that motherfucker was an Eldritch Horror.
>>
>>48201953

There's actually a pretty neat article/blog post about it. http://km-515.livejournal.com/1042.html
>>
>>48201953
http://km-515.livejournal.com/1042.html
>What do we know about Tom Bombadil? He is fat and jolly and smiles all the time. He is friendly and gregarious and always ready to help travellers in distress.
>Except that none of that can possibly be true.
>Consider: By his own account (and by Elrond’s surprisingly sketchy knowledge) Bombadil has lived in the Old Forest since before the hobbits came to the Shire. Since before Elrond was born. Since the earliest days of the First Age.
>And yet no hobbit has ever heard of him.
>>
File: oldest and fatherless.jpg (32 KB, 244x477) Image search: [Google]
oldest and fatherless.jpg
32 KB, 244x477
>>48201953
>>48202075

>The spell that binds Bombadil to his narrow and cursed country was put in place centuries ago by the Valar to protect men and elves. It may last a few decades more, perhaps a few generations of hobbit lives. But when the last elf has gone from the havens and the last spells of rings and wizards unravel, then it will be gone. And Iarwain Ben-Adar, Oldest and Fatherless, who was ruler of the darkness in Middle Earth before Sauron was, before Morgoth set foot there, before the first rising of the sun, will come into his inheritance again. And one dark night the old trees will march westward into the Shire to feed their ancient hatred. And Bombadil will dance down amongst them, clad in his true shape at last, singing his incomprehensible rhymes as the trees mutter their curses and the black and terrible Barrow-Wights dance and gibber around him. And he will be smiling.
>>
>>48202134
>>48202075
>>48201996
>>48201953

What makes this theory so awesome is that it's definitely not what Tolkien intended, but it fits the narrative as presented much better than the "canon" explanation does. This is exactly how cultists "read between the lines" when they study mainstream holy books, which makes the whole thing almost perfectly meta.
>>
>>48202303
I love you /ysg/ for enlightening me to shit like this.
>>
>>48190960
>Lovecraftian zombie apocalypse.
That's literally what happens in the second half of the "Nyarlathotep" short story; it's just told from the perspective of one of the zombies.

The narrator is exposed to Nyarlathotep's message and thereafter just describes these brief surreal glimpses of a world torn apart by violent conflict and the passage of what must have been an enormous amount of time, though he perceives it as the same night. One can only imagine what has happened in the interim, but it seems there are no longer any people who are not similarly zombified. At the end, he's aware that he no longer has an independent will and is being lead along into some yet more horrifying fate, but can do nothing to resist it.

If you change the perspective to someone who hasn't seen Nyarly's message and is trying to survive in a world where a large portion of people have become like the narrator of the original story, you've got basically all the feel of a zombie setting.
>>
>>48196200
Circle of Black Goat is already a thing in the first "splatbook" I made. As is Yithian, actually, although as a "subrace" in the same vein as the Revenant in one of the Unearthed Arcanas pdfs. Although I did originally also have a thing based on "Polaris" and "Beyond the Walls of Sleep", where you got powers by remembering stuff from your past lives. Removed that because I didn't really have a good idea on what to do with it, but perhaps I should try reworking it in.

>>48197152
I fully admit it was a kind of silly idea I didn't even orginally make for the pdf in mind, and only added it in afterwards. Still, could work in a more high fantasy-ish campaign instead of a horror one. Just be glad I didn't try making playable Elder Things (which crossed my mind, but as a joke; this was around April 1st, so I considered including it in the pdf for lulz and removing it in the next version).
>>
>>48202303
Even in canon, he's pretty much a non-asshole Nyarlathotep or similar being. He's confirmed to not really be a human, much like how Gandalf and the other wizards are also not actually human but more like angels. But he's not a wizard like Gandal either, but some kind of even older spirit, probably associated with unspoiled nature.
So he's an extremely old and powerful spirit, who takes on a human form and mostly just fuck around to amuse himself. Only he mostly does that by chilling in his forest and banging his hot tree-wife, unlike Nyarlathotep who starts nuclear wars for fun.
>>
>>48203177
>implying Nyarlathotep isn't fucking constantly with Yhoundeh
>>
>>48203177

Canonically he's an artifact. Tolkien liked to pretend that he didn't write Lord of the Rings, he merely "translated" it from the original Westron as he found it in an ancient book. One of the features of ancient books is the occasionally inclusion of totally unrelated stuff, like you might be reading the annals of a monastery and in between entries reading "January- Brother Maynard died of the flux" and "April- A cow was born with two heads. there was much lamentation" you might find a poem, or a snippet taken from another book, or just a random story the author liked, that he decided to put in the book to liven it up, or as writing practice.

This is what Bombadil is meant to be, he's a Hobbit fairytale that was "accidentally" included in the larger Lord of the Rings legend by some lazy or bored copyist at some unknown time.
>>
>>48202075
Except wait, the hobbits have heard of him and tell lots of silly stories about him. Tolkienfag here, Tom Bombadil is a mystery wrapped in an enigma who doesn't fit in well with the setting but is pretty much definitely NOT an eldritch horror of any variety. Deal with it. Shit like >>48202134 is just fucking retarded. In all probability he's either a weird Maia (probably of Yavanna, though perhaps of one of the other Valar) or some other kind of spirit who came into the world either when it was created or after it was ordered. Remember, the universe of Arda is a strictly monotheistic one, and there's nothing before Eru.
The closest things to eldritch horror in that universe are Ungoliant and the things that live deep beneath Moria (which I suspect are basically an animate form of Morgoth's corruption, the so-called 'Morgoth element').
>>
>>48204586

>I'm not going to read the blog post. I'm just going to shitpost all over the topic.

K
>>
>>48204236
The way I had it explained by my English professor is that he's an "echo" of the creation song.
>>
File: The Japanese strike again.png (249 KB, 1094x615) Image search: [Google]
The Japanese strike again.png
249 KB, 1094x615
Is this really allowed?
>>
>>48205062
I remember reading a manga where the MC discovers that his onee-san is some sort of yandere eldritch horror.
>>
>>48205134
Got a name or anything? Seems like something to at least check out, as it may be just odd enough.
>>
>>48205179
Sorry I don't remember the name, it was quite a while ago.
>>
File: 1456317787642.jpg (507 KB, 1200x1723) Image search: [Google]
1456317787642.jpg
507 KB, 1200x1723
>>48205062
She's cute and all, but has about as much in common with the Outer God as the final boss of Quake (which is called Shub-Niggurath, but has no connection to Cthulhu Mythos aside from the writers stealing the name from there).
>>
>>48205062
source ?
>>
>>48204653
I've read it several times before. It still triggers the shit out of me. I'm heavily into both Lovecraft and Tolkien, but for God's sake, don't cross the streams.
>>
>>48205632
Did you know that Jar-Jar is also a sith lord, and that the Feral Kid is the new Mad Max?
>>
>>48204586
>Ungoliant

The fact she was there before morgoth is pretty scary.
>>
>>48206285
She was there before anything.

She's pretty damn awesome.
>>
File: Ur-Draug.jpg (22 KB, 290x391) Image search: [Google]
Ur-Draug.jpg
22 KB, 290x391
>>48190960
Ever hear of a video game called "The Secret World?" It's a horror MMO that has really fun lore. In any case, the first area is literally a Lovecraftian zombie apocalypse. You fight a Star Spawn of Cthulhu as one of the raid bosses. Check it out, it's awesome. The zombies are all half aquatic, with tentacles, crab claws, bloated grey flesh, and coral growing out of them.
>>48181700
Has anyone ever incorporated traditional monsters into their Lovecraftian games? For example, the Call of Cthulhu 6th edition rule book has rules for Vampires, Werewolves, Mummies, etc. Would be fun to see the two mix up, I think.
>>
So, Im running a mecha cthulhutech game and was wondering if anybody here had ideas for a plot hook and/or a couple maps id be able to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>48206428
and its not even explained in the similarion.

Kirkbride would say she is from another kalpa.
>>
File: lovecraft romantic comedies.png (448 KB, 684x1656) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft romantic comedies.png
448 KB, 684x1656
>>
>>48207408
what
>>
>>48207418
H.P Lovecraft was simply into tentacles and monstergirls before it was cool.
>>
File: ab0ELdX_700b_v1.jpg (154 KB, 684x1081) Image search: [Google]
ab0ELdX_700b_v1.jpg
154 KB, 684x1081
>>48207408
>>
File: 20860905-weirdtales-mar42.jpg (465 KB, 982x1458) Image search: [Google]
20860905-weirdtales-mar42.jpg
465 KB, 982x1458
>>
File: Weird-Tales-July-1936.jpg (2 MB, 1993x3006) Image search: [Google]
Weird-Tales-July-1936.jpg
2 MB, 1993x3006
>>
File: Weird-Tales-July-1953.jpg (206 KB, 671x994) Image search: [Google]
Weird-Tales-July-1953.jpg
206 KB, 671x994
>>
>>48207408
Lovecraft actually did write one romantic comedy, called "Sweet Ermagarde" or something. I don't think he was very serious when writing it, though, since if I recall correctly the villain is at one point described as literally kicking puppies while twirling his moustache and worshiping the devil.
No tentacles or sanity-blasting eldritch horrors, though. The most shocking turn of events is that the love interest and the protagonist don't end up together, as she instead marries baron von puppy-kicking satanist due to him having more money.
>>
>>48208347
>"Ermagarde Cthulhu!"
>>
File: Dan Backslide.png (678 KB, 766x571) Image search: [Google]
Dan Backslide.png
678 KB, 766x571
>>48208347
So a more cynical take on this?
>>
>>48207408
The world's greatest tragedy is that H.P. Lovecraft never wrote a romance novel. I mean, it's in his freaking last name.
>>48208347
This one hardly counts.
>>
whispers of the old god

mad y/n?
>>
>>48203072
Thank you for making those anon.i fucking love them and they have made my campaign, which was already very much about aberrations, eldritch beings, and the far realm way cooler. You are an elder god among men.
>>
I didn't get what happened to the underground city in rat in the walls, did they all get eaten by rats? Also what was the purpose of those subhuman skeletons? I mean were they in a zoo or were they cattle? Sorry for my poor english.
>>
>>48210604
In the end? The rats probably ate the survivors.

After the subhuman beasts (you correctly identified them as being used as cattle) were eaten, they would have turned on each other, until only a handful were left, prey for the rats.
>>
>>48210139
y
>>
>>48210604
I think that when that one de la Poer guy rebelled and killed his family members, that pretty much shut down the whole underground cannibal cult thing. The occupants of the city (I can't quote right now but in my latest reading of Rats, I've became convinced that the actual "rats" are ex-humans, possibly the cannibal themselves who've become like that white thing the protagonist sees in his dreams) ate each other when they ran out of cattle, and the ones that didn't get eaten by the other cannibal monsters became rat food.

Such a great and terrifying story, I'm amazed every time I re-read it. And some people still dare say that Lovecraft's writing is shitty.
>>
File: Protean.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Protean.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48210201
Man, I'm not at all used to somebody praising my work. You must have very low standards, then (just kidding).
You also might like this one I did, which isn't strictly speaking Mythos stuff, but I intented it as "Lovecraft-derived". Maybe I should at some point try doing a full pdf of not directly Mythos but thematically similar stuff, although that'd probably be a bad idea.

Tbh there's also some other guy's Lovecraftian stuff for 5th edition, which is probably better (his pdf has nice pictures, and the monster statblocks are more interesting, while mine tend to be very simple). I've got his stuff saved and can share with people.
>>
>>48181700
So, I'm really confused.
Is CoC 7th edition on sale in print yet? Or is it still delayed?
>>
>>48211736
I've seen the books for sale in my FLGS since a few weeks ago.
>>
>>48211556
Static +/-3 to damage dealt or taken doesn't fit with 5e. Otherwise I like it.
>>
>>48207392
It is explained. She's a corrupt spirit of some variety.
>>
>>48212833
There actually is pseudo-DR in 5th edition, in the form of a feat that reduces damage from non-magical physical weapons if you're wearing heavy armor, so there is precedence.
>>
>>48212886
The version I'm looking at says: "The Eldar knew not whence she came; but some have said that in ages long before she descended from the darkness that lies about Arda, when Melkor first looked down in envy upon the Kingdom of Manwë, and that in the beginning she was one of those that he corrupted to his service."

The idea that she's a corrupted spirit is one theory, but there's also the fact that she isn't an Ainu. She's not in any of the lists, and even the Eldar's stories simply she's from the Outer Void.

Also, I totally think she crushes on Oromë.
>>
>>48213403
It literally says that the Elves think she came as a spirit aligned with Morgoth, presumably even before the Lamps were made. Given that nothing exists outside of Eru and His Creations (remember that this is a world meant to be in line with Tolkien's Catholicism), one can infer that the Elves' theory on her origins is the most likely to be correct.

Remember also that there are non-Ainu spirits (entities like the Eagles, Huan, and various other minor beings). Presumably some of these came into Arda from outside. Ultimately the Elves' cosmology is probably incomplete with regards to these things, but whatever the truth may be, we can be certain that Ungoliant, like Tom Bombadil, is a creation of Eru's, and not some sort of primordial eldritch being.
>>
>>48214370
One guess by the Elves is not confirmation.

Now, I'm not saying she wasn't a creation of Eru Ilúvatar, just that she's not one of the Ainu.

She hates light, I can't imagine her being one of the servants of the Flame Imperishable. Quite possibly she rejected him before the creation of the Ainu, leaving his vault for the Void.

In this way she would more resemble the Rahab of Jewish folklore.
>>
>>48205632
>I'm heavily into both Lovecraft and Tolkien, but for God's sake, don't cross the streams.
>"Far, far below the deepest delving of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day."
>>
>>48214594
>Rahab of Jewish folklore
So a figure like Yam, Tiamat, or Chaos? Don't those generally predate creation in their myths? I feel like Ungoliant would probably be more like a spirit vaguely akin in temperament to Morgoth: fallen into evil before time begins and thus beyond redemption, something that lusts after the light of the Flame Imperishable. Wheras Morgoth covets the creative power it embodies so that he could create ex nihilo in his own image, Ungoliant desires in an even more selfish way, wishing to possess it and deny it to others (hence the light-drinking). She basically feeds on creatia, devouring and negating potential otherness to fuel her own self. It reminds ne vaguely of Dagoth Ur from Morrowind, when I think of it that way.
>>48215289
Ancient horrors are not necessarily Lovecraftian. Divine providence is antithetical to Lovecraftian horror, which is fundamentally about the insignificance of mankind in an alien and uncaring cosmos.
>>
>>48215757
>>48215289
>>48214594
>>48214370
This is so nerdy it hurts.
>>
>>48216015
Yeah, goddamn nerds infesting this thread about cosmic horror fiction by a 1920s author on a board centred around playing make-believe.

What the fuck do they think they're doing on this Mongolian basket-weaving site?
>>
>>48216067
I merely call them the way I see them.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2500x3322) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2500x3322
Can we get some good old maps of Arkham or related places posted?

I love myself some maps.
>>
File: The Dream Lands.jpg (2 MB, 1440x960) Image search: [Google]
The Dream Lands.jpg
2 MB, 1440x960
>>48220088
Not Arkham, but I feel this is a suitably Lovecraftian map.
>>
>>48189667
>>>48192525

I FUCKING KNEW IT /tg/ can't have one HP Lovecraft thread without it getting derailed about how much of an evil white male neo-nazi he is and whether he was a product of his time or not.

Every fucking time. half-chan /tg/ is becoming too tumblr-lite like what happened to /co/
>>
File: 1459133611468.jpg (63 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1459133611468.jpg
63 KB, 625x626
>>48220994
>>
>>48220088
>>
>>48190960
Cataclysm: DDA?
>>
File: Pokethulhu_frontcover.jpg (46 KB, 318x473) Image search: [Google]
Pokethulhu_frontcover.jpg
46 KB, 318x473
>>48181700

We should put Trail of Cthulhu and Pokethulhu in the OP, Call of Cthulhu is justly famous for introducing a whole generation of gamers to the Mythos but it's a very poor system that doesn't really lend itself to the setting.

Pokethulhu is free, but I don;t have a link to Trail of Cthulhu.

http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/pokethulhu.htm
>>
>>48222032
>>48181700

Also while it's not a Mythos game, maybe a link to Unknown Armies, too. It has by far the best sanity mechanics of any game, and is in general an excellent base system to use for Mythos campaigns.
>>
>>48222032
Trail seems like shite senpai desu
>>
>>48222107

You seem like an idiot fampai.
>>
>>48221188
Not bait. I just want to read one Lovecraft thread without an argument on whether he was too racist for his time or not.
>>
>>48222256

Then you'll die unhappy. Yes, he was a massive racist even for his time, to the extent that his anti-semitic rants would cause his Jewish wife to burst into tears.
>>
>>48222256
I just asked the opinion of /tg/. We weren't saying HE'S SO FUCKING RACIST, REEE.
We were discussing the tragedy of The Howard being removed from the World Fantasy Convention.
>>
File: Arkham-Horror-map.jpg (1 MB, 832x1100) Image search: [Google]
Arkham-Horror-map.jpg
1 MB, 832x1100
>>48220088
>>
File: Arkham Now Map.png (3 MB, 1204x1651) Image search: [Google]
Arkham Now Map.png
3 MB, 1204x1651
>>48223627
>>
File: lcountrymap.jpg (149 KB, 540x350) Image search: [Google]
lcountrymap.jpg
149 KB, 540x350
>>48223640
>>
File: 1000px-Lovecraft_Country.svg.png (563 KB, 1000x1397) Image search: [Google]
1000px-Lovecraft_Country.svg.png
563 KB, 1000x1397
>>48223652
>>
>>48223627
>>48223640
>>48223652
>>48221934
>>48220273
>>48220088
These are some good maps.
>>
>>48222295
And yet another ignorant twit ignores his apology and his regret for being racist.

Read his letters to Poe and Smith.

You people are pathetic.
>>
File: Innsmouth Map.png (2 MB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Innsmouth Map.png
2 MB, 1200x800
>>48223670
>>
File: Innsmouth Chart Preview.jpg (152 KB, 682x488) Image search: [Google]
Innsmouth Chart Preview.jpg
152 KB, 682x488
>>48223683
>>
File: Map1.png (623 KB, 1186x804) Image search: [Google]
Map1.png
623 KB, 1186x804
>>48223693
And finally, from across the pond.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 600x534) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 600x534
>>48223682
He still said he liked Hitler (with a few jabs to him) and his idea of shipping the undesirables out.

He's a complex man.
>>
>>48223727
/endofdisscusion

(Would this be a suitable alternative to /thread?)
>>
>>48223807
Well, it should be /discussion, /endofdisscusion seems redundant.
>>
>>48223727
Not helped by the fact that he changed his mind on a lot of things over time (he never really stopped being racist, though, but did become less extreme in his views over time, and even understood that much of his racism was irrational).
That's what set him apart from a lot of bigoted people, really. He was willing to change his opinion when presented with enough evidence (such as him changing his mind about women never being able to be as good writers as men, due to them lacking imagination, after he wrote some stuff with and befriended a female author), instead of just ignoring or dismissing as lies anything that didn't conform to one's narrow world view.
>>
>>48223807
>>48223821
Yeah, though that could be a workable alternative to /thread if you wanna get back to the topic on hand or something.

>>48223837
And that's why we love Lovecraft. He's a he's a very interesting individual and knew some great people in the literary world.
>>
>>48223854
I thought we loved him because he kick started/was the originator the Yog-Sothothery with his works.
>>
File: image.jpg (198 KB, 1271x1360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
198 KB, 1271x1360
>>48223875
Oh... Well, that too.
>>
Thanks for all the maps, I was having trouble visualising the places.
>>
File: MAP of Inner Earth .jpg (308 KB, 538x552) Image search: [Google]
MAP of Inner Earth .jpg
308 KB, 538x552
>>48220088
>>48220273
>>
>>48223837
That's another reason I enjoy Lovecraft's as a person, is that he did change his views as much as it was for a person with his upbringing and lifespan could, I believe. Changing one's world view, or at least softening it, into middle-age and beyond is a difficult thing to do.

I've always wondered how Lovecraft would've reacted to World War II if he lived long enough to see it, especially the atrocities that emerged from it.
>>
>>48198977
Here you go.
http://g.e-hentai.org/g/949450/49810b54e3/
>>
>>48227634
This hentai's art sucks but can also make me spooked
>>
File: image.jpg (317 KB, 786x1017) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
317 KB, 786x1017
>>48228743
Forgot my image.
>>
>>48228743
The artists can't seem to draw people very well (they all look very blobby and with weird proportions), and lots of the backgrounds are clearly photoshopped in from photographs, but he does satisfyingly gribbly-looking monsters. There's some very nice and freaky designs there.
Story is OK, too, pretty basic Lovecraft-derived but not really Lovecraftian stuff with lots of Mythos references. Although the mood flipflops around too much for my taste.
>>
>>48230245
>gribbly
Whut
>>
>>48231182
It's a perfectly cromulent word.
>>
>>48220273
what is this from?
>>
>>48230245
Not to mention it's really animu.
>>
File: image.jpg (504 KB, 1100x1423) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
504 KB, 1100x1423
>>48230245
What really got me was this fucking page.

Why in John Carpenter's Semen is this a thing?
>>
>>48233700
>Juice
I'm sorry that made me laugh.
>>
>>48227634
Can we have this in the OP, we've found eldritch smut.
>>
>>48236252
Seconded, the weird amount cringe/good alone makes it oddly endearing.
>>
File: image.jpg (258 KB, 786x1017) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
258 KB, 786x1017
>>48236252
>>48236313
Sweet fucking Jesus.
>>
>>48236486
The Religious Symbolism for Nyarlathotep works oddly enough.
>>
So homemade versions aside how much is known or consistent about Aklo's structure, and is there a good list of official words?
>>
>>48237873
Go nuts kid.
http://aklo101.tumblr.com/post/22241815199/aklo-lesson-6-expanded-dictionary-part-1
>>
>>48223670
Huh, so apparently irl Innsmouth is a place called Great Neck.
>>
>>48226356
Probably the same thing that happened with Dr. Seuss.
>>
File: CoC Languages.png (838 KB, 2000x950) Image search: [Google]
CoC Languages.png
838 KB, 2000x950
>>48237873
Buddy, no one can even agree on what Aklo is.

I favour it as the Serpent People language myself, but others would disagree.
>>
I did the finishing touches to the DnD Cthulhu pdf (part 2). It's the same version posted in this thread, but with fixed typos and a proper cover (i might still add more stuff into it if I feel I have a good idea). It's now on my Megaupload (https://mega.nz/#F!EkUC2TAK!N0S0xIhIHeNhC7ANim00KQ) along with my other stuff (I probably should make separate folder for the Mythos stuff at some point).
>>
File: 1462507660573.jpg (110 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
1462507660573.jpg
110 KB, 800x531
>>
>>48239137
Snepeople.
>>
>>48242104
Sneeple
>>
File: Doot Doot mr Servitor.jpg (85 KB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
Doot Doot mr Servitor.jpg
85 KB, 400x550
Eldritch Doot.
>>
>>48205470
https://nhentai.net/g/153643/
>>
>>48246758

That was rather tame.
>>
Has /ysg/ degenerated into lemme show you my smut?
>>
>>48246758
>>48227634
I'm just imagining H.P Lovecraft crouched in a pillowfort with the Nerconomicon on his head, ranting about gooks and their degenerate fetishes.
>>
>>48242321
WAKE UP SNEEPLE
>>
File: LovecraftCircus[1].jpg (28 KB, 363x342) Image search: [Google]
LovecraftCircus[1].jpg
28 KB, 363x342
Anyone have a pdf download of The Unspeakable Oath #20? I want to run Let's Learn Aklo for my DG group.
>>
So I just got one of those free lovecraft collections for kindle, what story should I read first? Second?

Only stories I've read are Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath and Mountains of Madness, and I don't even really remember mountains that much because I read it when I was in school in like 3 minute increments between when I would get to a class and it would start.
>>
File: Cthuvian_Dictionary.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Cthuvian_Dictionary.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>48236486
what comic is this from?
>>
>>48248098
The Color out of Space and the Music of Erich Zann.
>>
>>48249135
>>48227634
There you go friendo. I hope you enjoy it.
>>
>>48239137
See Alan Moores courtyard for the best interpretation.
>>
>>48250486
Was that the good one with Johnny Carcosa in it?
>>
>>
>>48252981
Really like that game.
Yig, Cthulhu, and Ithaqua are tough, and Hastur is fucking impossible.
>>
File: 1468209660983.jpg (789 KB, 1080x1465) Image search: [Google]
1468209660983.jpg
789 KB, 1080x1465
I'm alive!
>THE LAST RADIO SHOW ON EARTH
Astonishingly, there are still sane people on Earth. They are largely concentrated in Tsan-Chan; even if the majority of the population exists in a permanent drugged or neurosurgical haze, the higher echelons are clear-eyed enough. Others cluster in deep warded bunkers, often buried under the continental shelf; water is not a perfect insulator of the Lord of Dream’s emanations, but it helps. The Deep Ones do not help at all; out of hundreds of such bunkers, only a handful survive.
Still more astoundingly, there are a very few people who remain alive and sane upon the surface of the Earth, without the protection of massive sorceries or having already sold themselves to other powers. Just as poets and madmen are uniquely susceptible, there are a few souls which are uniquely immune, and in the maddened mythologies that arise by the thousands among the revelers of the new world order they are holy madmen, for they have been chosen to bear witness to what is becoming, and as reminders of what has been left behind. Only bearing the ordinary insanities of living through the end of the world.
All this is known, because one of them has a radio capable of reaching Mars. (Originally built for interplanetary communication, then repurposed for cultist evangelism, and finally given free for the asking; the cultists are generous to their ‘holy madmen’.) Robert Lawson has, for the past sixteen years, been providing regular updates on the state of the Earth. Or at least as much of it as he can see outside his window; ham radio from other witnesses, the news-bearing cultists, all few and far between. His perspective is necessarily limited, but it’s more than enough to disturb.
>>
File: chained bone king.png (1 MB, 1400x738) Image search: [Google]
chained bone king.png
1 MB, 1400x738
>>48254588
The sun and sky change color. The grass grows eyes. Colors out of space light the horizon, and the air is thick with ash from the stalking of the fire vampires. The dead walk. There are reports of mile-high black pyramids sprouting in the desert like mushrooms after hard rain. The Flying Polyps venture from their holes once more.
Perhaps half, if that, of what is reported is true, and perhaps a hundredth of what is true is reported. The censors do not quite know what to make of it; free distribution among those committees dealing with the Earth, of course, but to distribute among the public? There are no overt threats, no hidden madnesses, in the transmission, but will the public’s fragile morale withstand such a reminder of the world they left behind, and what has become of it? Thus, the broadcasts are illicit, but not illegal, a safe transgressive thrill, and largely ignored; transgression has lost all its shine, the counterculture a bare wisp. Still, every night, there are those who tune their sets to hear… The Last Radio Show on Earth.

So, what next?
>>
>>48254601
>>48254588
Coast to Coast FM?
>>
>>48254703
Haven't heard of it before.

And now, a metaphor I just thought of and like too much to not share:
It is permissible, in cosmic horror, for humans to perform sorcery and use cosmic sciences, but it should never be permissible for them to do so well. Imagine a tribe of bronze-age warriors coming upon a lump of enriched uranium. They don't know what it is, but they do know that it's heavy and anyone who touches it dies, so their leader has a slave tie it to the end of a long stick and runs around whacking people with it. It's effective, more because uranium is heavy and therefore good warhammer material and because the /legend/ of it terrifies his opponents than because of the actual radioactivity. But it is nowhere near the level of understanding required to mine uranium from the ground and forge it into a /real/ weapon.
>>
>>48254828
http://www.coasttocoastam.com
Give it a listen if you're in the US it should be on right now.
>>
>>48246758
>>48247139
The funny thing is that the author apparently got contracted to also do a non-porn version of that comic for serial distribution.
>>
>>48247526
It's /tg/, what did you think would happen? Slaanesh's influence touches all.
>>
>>48198297
>>48198319
The uncle did a ritual in order to have her take a form he finds desirable. Unfortunately for him it cost him his soul.

Though fortunate for his nephew.
>>
>>48253098
What game?
>>
>>48256101
FFG makes me think it's Eldritch Horror. Specifically the Mountains of Madness expansion maybe?
>>
>>48255724
How does a soul work in the mythos context anyway?
>>
>>48256346
Soul, mind, whatever. Dude's in a coma.
>>
>>48223837
Whats wrong with being racist? Are not all races different? Why do you have to "respect" everything? The stuff he said is pretty funny
>>
>>48256472
It's bad for the economy and the economy is what really matters.
>>
>>48256472
His poem of the creation of niggers always gets me chuckling. I absolutely love it, and I find it great that in modern perspective we can look at it and laugh at how absurd it is and how far we've gone from that being serious at one point.

I try to write Delta Green stories, but they all become too actiony, and not enough of that Eldritch horror goodness. How do you guys usually balance it out?
>>
I need some advice.
I am working in a horror themed campaign with heavy investment on cosmic horror in the metaplot for Pathfinder.
>>
File: x_files_in_a_nutshell.png (553 KB, 780x585) Image search: [Google]
x_files_in_a_nutshell.png
553 KB, 780x585
I have this campaign idea but I still got few details to hopefully fill with your assistance.

The instigator for the campaign would be an alienist who wanted to study how far would already damaged minds go if presented with the occult and what actions would they sanctify with it. When confronted by the PCs, the alienist would claim that all of it is made up and the investigators are just as crazy as the cultists for thinking that it is real. Basically I would be pointing out that the players played the crazy Mulder because they knew they were playing a game with Cthulhu in the fucking title instead of being the reasonably skeptic Scully.

To make it more convincing that they are dealing with mythos, I would like to use actual within mythos universe literature as the text that the cultists spout as truth. Necronomicon would be the easy way out, but frankly that's quite overused IMO. Do you guys have any candidates for the scripture? The game would set around western US in the 50's.
>>
>>48256514
How is it bad for the economy?
On another note the economy isnt the be all and end all of life, maximum efficiency gains and expansion only bring so much happiness. What really matters is your enjoyment of life, otherwise we would all just be Germans.
>>
>>48256687
Because our economy is built upon trust. That's why the word credit exists in a financial context to begin with. The functional economy is also what allows you to even have an Internet to begin with, along with instant access to porn and the stories of H.P. Lovecraft.

It's a source of happiness.
>>
>>48256472
Generally, hating somebody over somethign they have no control over, like the nationality of their parents or the colour of their skin, is not very nice.

Even Lovecraft generally regognised that, as evident in some of his letters where he, for example, mentions that if an American family would adopt a child from Japan and raise him like they would their own child, then the only difference between that child when he's grown up and other Americans would be that he looks Asian (Lovecraft is noted to have been racist against Asians, but that wasn't really racism per se, as much as him fearing that China would eventually get their shit together and go to war with western countries; he didn't think they were inferior mentally of physically, just that their culture was different enough that there'd bound to be war if China grew powerful enough to challenge USA).

Although he also did for the most of his life genuinely think black people were a different, less evolved, subspecies of humanity.
>>
File: desert.jpg (46 KB, 557x557) Image search: [Google]
desert.jpg
46 KB, 557x557
what lovecraftian things can I throw at players in a small desert camp
>>
File: Imhotep's_Regeneration_02.jpg (85 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
Imhotep's_Regeneration_02.jpg
85 KB, 853x480
>>48257511
Mummies
>>
>>48254588
GORDON'S ALIVE!
>>
>>48257511
>dose Kiwis

Look up the Achtung Cthulhu guide to North Africa
>>
>>48257649
>>48257511
Actually check the OP for Achtung Cthulhu.
>>
>>48256604
The Gospel of Nyarlathotep.
>>
>>48257400
His pal Robert E. Howard was really more racist in the sense that he considered culture to be bound to the genetic heritage. However, I also keep in mind that they lived in a very different era than we do today and theories of evolution was all over the place.
>>
>>48256604
Well, what do you want them to worship?

Then you can work backwards from there.
>>
>>48257628

Gordon who?
>>
>>48259078
youtube.com/watch?v=MS4_Z84-rRE
>>
>>48257400
People have no control over who they are, but who they are is who they are and race is a big factor in this. If you meet someone you dont like or think about differently its not their fault but it is them, its not like a disability where its just a factor but rather is the substance of who they are.
Some "progressive" sociologists claim that there are no differences but this is simply not true. While someone of a different race raised in the same culture would be more similar, there are still differences, besides culture is part of the substance of someone, "racism" is as much a dislike of certain cultures, which with a few exceptions certain races fully embody. There is nothing wrong with having these opinions, it is entirely natural to judge customs and personalities.
>>
File: poe reads closer.jpg (22 KB, 500x285) Image search: [Google]
poe reads closer.jpg
22 KB, 500x285
>>48259513
This is just civilly-worded redpill speak ain't it
>>
>>48189667
HPL was a great writer, but he was not a great person. He was kind of a douchebag it seems, unless you were a fellow writer he loved. So yeah, there are probably better people to model the award after. It's not Lovecraft that fundamental to the development of science fiction (though of course he is for horror).

Also, it's just plain hideous, and really old and outdated by now. Just fucking change it anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 854x859) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 854x859
>>48259513
But all of our blood is descended from Africa.
>>
>>48259807
Iä! Iä! Shacka Zulu fhtagen!
>>
>>48259513
>People have no control over who they are, but who they are is who they are and race is a big factor in this.

Doesn't that depend on who they are?
>>
So, which Durleth works are worth it? It is funny having read all of HPL and still knowing fuck all about the Mythos.
>>
>>48259926

First of all, there really isn't a Mythos canon. There are gods and books and some events, but it's not a clear cut canon like a television show or comic books. Just a bunch of jagged pieces that can be fit together in countless ways. You can learn about the different gods, entities, places and people, but that could be overturned at any time. In short, don't sweat it, you can think whatever you like and no one can say 'you're wrong'. Even Lovecraft didn't stick to a strict universal underpinning.
>>
>>48259807
And all dogs are descended from wolves, is a beagle different to a labrador? Is a terrier different to a greyhound?
Plus just because we are all originall from the same place, doesnt make us all originally the same race, certain groups moved, different ones stayed. There are solid DNA differences as you can trace ethnic groups from their DNA markers. Also a black manis not genetically compatible enough to recieve an organ from a white man and vica versa, thats quite a difference. ( blood can as that depends on blood types).
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.