[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me, please!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: pls.png (15 KB, 200x233) Image search: [Google]
pls.png
15 KB, 200x233
So, I am really desperate now, since I do not understand one thing about D&D (5th edition). I am new to it and I haven't played it before. I am reading the Player's Handbook and watching some videos, but I don't understand shit.

HIT DICE AND HIT POINTS

Okay, so let me put you in my shoes:
I created a lvl1 druid, high elf. Now, the PH shows me that the Hit Dice for a druid is 1d8. And to get my current max HP, I have to add my CON modifier to 8 (because this is the max Hit Dice). My CON mod is +2.
>8+2=10
Now, this is my maximum HP at this level.

But I do not understand, that if I level up, how do I calculate my new max HP?
And what does this mean: "Each time you gain a leveI, you gain 1 additional Hit Die. Roll that Hit Die, add your Constitution modifier to the roll, and add the total to your hit point maximum."
What does it mean, that I "gain 1 additional Hit Die"? Do I get to roll a physically another d8 or what?

Please help.
>>
>>48160946

You roll the hit dice and add the result to your total hit points. This happens each time you go up a level.
>>
>>48160946
Each class lists a hit dice that you roll every time you level up in that class. You take the result and add your constitution modifier. Add this number to your current maximum hit point total and you have your new maximum hit point total.

This is how it works with 3.PF as well, if you ever play one of those.
>>
>>48160946
>Do I get to roll a physically another d8 or what?
Yes, so your new maximum will be 10 (what you had at first level), plus the 1D8 roll, and +2 for your CON again.
>>
You might find this helpful. It's an easy to navigate website that helps explain things a little easier for new players.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules

Also, personally, I just use the average rule for increasing HP.

>Alternatively, you can use the fixed value shown in your class entry, which is the average result of the die roll (rounded up).
>>
Don't worry man, the hit dice mechanic in 5e is a wee bit archaic

What you do on levels 2 and up is you roll your 1d8 (say 4), add your CON mod to it (+2) and then add it to your max HP

When it says "gain 1 additional hit die" what it means is you add it to the box on the Char Sheet marked Hit Dice. You have the same number of hit dice as your total level, but you have to keep track of how many of each kind you have. This is so if you have say 4 levels of druid and 1 level of wizard, you have 4d8 and 1d4 hit dice.

Hit Dice are used when you take a short rest. Basically you roll them and recover the rolled amount of HP+ your CON mod. This expends the Hit Dice. You get half back whenever you take a long rest.
>>
>>48161065
What kind of scrub avoids rolling dice when he's given the option?
>>
>>48161100
Someone playing Torchbearer?
>>
>>48161100
Someone who doesn't want to abuse the divine luck they've been blessed with.

It's not really fair if you keep rolling max HP while the rest of the group rolls average or less.
>>
Wait, so basically:

I am level 1 atm.
Hit Points max : 10
Hit Dice: 1d8

Now, when I level up.
New Hit Points max :
[Roll 1d8 + CON modifier] + current total HP

Atm, I rolled 7, so this means:
[7 + 2] + 10 = 19

Is 19 my new max HP on level 2 then? And is the Hit Dice still 1d8? And what does that Hit Dice Total mean?
>>
OH I THINK I GOT IT NOW
Is it like this:
for example, lets take an fighter, whose class Hit Dice is 1d10, okay.
Let's say that CON mod is +3. So on level 1, this dwarf has [10+3] 13 max HP, right?
Now, when he levels up, he rolls a 4 on a d10:
[4 + 3] + current max HP, which is 13 = 20 max HP.
Am I correct or still mistaken?
>>
>>48161173
>>48161289
You get it now.
>>
>>48161304

YES!
Thank you guys so much for it! It was really bothering me, but now I got it. I just didn't get it right with the first hit, when I read the book.

But still, one thing bothers me more...
As this guy >>48161094 said:
>This is so if you have say 4 levels of druid and 1 level of wizard, you have 4d8 and 1d4 hit dice.

Does the Hit Dice increase then with every level? When I am on level 2 and I ding to lvl 3, I must roll 2d8 with my druid, and then add the CON mod and then all of this to my current max HP?
>>
OH WAIT
I didn't concentrate enough. I got the whole thing now.
It is so, that with every new level I get 1 more Hit Die.
Let's say that my druid is level 8, so my Hit Dice is 8d8, right?

Thank you guys, really helped me! Definently going to visit /tg/ more often.
>>
>>48161411

Level 8 druid has 8 hit dice.

Monsters have hit dice too that can roughly tell you how tough/big/powerful it is. Use to be for what level of a dungeon you would encounter them on, but that's ancient history.
>>
>>48161411
When you are level 8, you have 8 hit dice, which are all d8s.

To calculate the max hit points for a level 8 druid that has 16 con.
>11 from first level
>1d8+3 for each level after first (7d8+21 total)
>Total hp is equal to 7d8+32, or 67 if you chose not to roll
>Definently going to visit /tg/ more often.
Thanks. Just be aware this thread was very lucky. Normally you'd get a lot more shit-posting and flame-baiting, but this thread was has been completely free of it so far.
>>
File: wat is.png (135 KB, 754x765) Image search: [Google]
wat is.png
135 KB, 754x765
>>48161471

Hmm, okay then. I will remember that.

But I am still one question short.

What I use that for (marked in red)?
Do I write the '1d8' there and beneath it the amount of Die I actually have (i.e for level 4 I have 4 of them etc)?
>>
File: I may have gone too far.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
I may have gone too far.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>48161100
A tired DM who mistook the CR 8 monster as a CR 3.
>>
>>48161548

Oh, okay. But uh... I am pretty stupid. I understand the formula '7d8 + 21'. I get that. But where did this 32 came from and this 67?
Sorry, I am just so dumb. But I got my main question answered, so that's a win for me already.
And yeah, to be honest, I expected to see some shitposting and just being an ass, but to my surprise - I had very nice replies!
>>
>>48161632
11+21=32. 11 starting, 3*7=21 for 7 levels' worth of flat bonus.

67 if you use the don't-roll-just-use-average rules.
>>
>>48161556
Yes.
>>
>>48161713

Ah, you just used the first level's max HP and then the 7 level's CON mod (which is +3).

And the 67 comes from the book then, I suppose?
>>
>>48161632
You can either roll hit dice when leveling up or take a flat, unchanging number slightly greater than average. Specified in each class page what that number is. I believe that's how he's getting those numbers.

Trust me, leveling up is probably the one area where computer games have 100% advantage over pen and paper. It's a hassle but you don't do it very often.
>>
Okay, I am doing a test leveling with a Barbarian, whose Hit Dice is 1d12 and CON mod is +3.
Level 1:
Max HP: 15
Hit Dice: 1d12

Level 2:
Max HP: 36 - I rolled a 7 and a 11
Hit Dice: 2d12

Level 3:
Max HP: 59 - I rolled 7, 3 and 10
Hit Dice: 3d12

Level 4:
Max HP: 90 - I rolled 6,8,6,8
Hit Dice: 4d12

And so on, right?
>>
>>48161836
No
>>
>>48160946
You gain another d8+CON HP per level
>>
>>48161893
Oh damn. What is wrong then, can you correct me, please?

>>48161774
>>48161713
>>48161548
Oh, I checked it up now, yes, I see what you mean. There says:
>1d8 (or 5)
You took the 5 and multiplied it with 7, getting 35 and then adding the 32, I believe.
>>
>>48161836
No, you just roll the d12+3, you don't roll an extra die per level.
>>
>>48161951
Oh, okay.
So basically:
Level 1:
Max HP: 15

Level 2:
Max HP: 22 - I rolled a 4

Level 3:
Max HP: 34 - I rolled a 9

Level 4:
Max HP: 47 - I rolled a 10

And so on?
>>
>>48162004
And therefore, I just overwrite the 1d12 when I reach the second level. And then I overwrite 2d12 when I reach the third level and so on?
But I won't be rolling an extra die per level, I am still rolling one dice at a time, right? And then adding the CON mod and my current max HP?
>>
Okay, so your confusion is stemming from one thing: two concepts are names the same in D&D 5e.

I am going to use a barbarian as an example, but you just replace the hit die size with another class' for that class.

Every class has a "hit die". This hit die is what you use to calculate your maximum HP.

At level 1, you do not roll this hit die. You take the maximum. In this case, barbarians get a d12 for their hit die, so you get 12. Any time your maximum HP increases, you add your CON modifier, but you already know this, based on your posts. For this example, you have a CON of 16, making your CON mod +3.

This barbarian at first level has 15 maximum HP.

Now, when you level up, you roll the hit die of the class you're gaining levels in (in this case, you're taking a second level of barbarian, so the hit die is still a d12). You only ever roll ONE hit die upon leveling up to determine the amount your maximum HP increases by.

You rolled a 7 on the D12, so you add 7+3 to your maximum HP, giving you a new maximum of 25.

Hit dice are also a recovery mechanic to be used when taking a short rest. You have a pool of hit die equal to the hit die you've gained on leveling up. As you have two levels of barbarian, you have 2 d12s in your pool of hit dice. When you take a short rest, you can spend any number of these when you complete it to recover hit points. Say, you just finished a fight, and your current HP is 4. You spend one hit die, and roll a 6 on it. You then add your CON mod to that roll, and regain that amount of HP, bringing you to 13. You're still below your maximum, so you spend your second hit die and roll a 5. You add your CON mod, and regain 8 HP, bringing your current HP to 21.

I'll continue this in another post.
>>
>>48162055
Now, say, at level 3, your barbarian wants a fighting style, so you take a level of fighter. The fighter's hit die is a d10.

So you roll the d10, and get a 9. You add your CON mod, which brings the total to a 12. You add the total to your maximum HP, bringing your new maximum HP to 37.

You then want to continue being a barbarian, so you take a 3rd level in barbarian. You are now a 4th level character, barbarian 3 fighter 1. Again, barbarians have a d12 hit die, so you roll that, get a 4, add your CON mod for a total of 7, and add that 7 to your max HP, bringing it to 44.

You have a pool of hit dice that includes 3d12 and 1d10, which you can roll individually at the end of a short rest to regain HP.

Does it make more sense now?
>>
>>48162093
And as other posts have said, you can take the average (rounded up) as indicated by the value in brackets next to your class' hit die in the PHB.

Which is almost always the better choice.
>>
>>48161348
No, he's talking about total Hit Dice. Every level you gain one, as in, you roll one die and add your CON modifier once. At level 2 you have 2 hit dice, and when you reach level 3, you get one more for a total of 3 hit dice.

Now, if you have different classes with different hit dice, you still get only the hit dice of your new level. Say you're a level 3 Druid, with 3d8 Hit Dice. When you get level 4 and choose Wizard, you get one d4 hit dice. So you'll have 4 hit dice, those being 3d8 and 1d4.
>>
>>48162167
Wizards have a d6 hit die.
>>
>>48162221
In 5e only, and that's gay.
>>
>>48162250
Okay, but this thread is about a guy trying to understand D&D 5e, doesn't it make sense to talk about D&D 5e?
>>
>>48162293
I'm not familiar with 5e, that's what I'm trying to say. The idea stands though.
>>
File: THANK YOU.gif (4 MB, 443x250) Image search: [Google]
THANK YOU.gif
4 MB, 443x250
>>48162055
>>48162093
>>48162123
>>48162167

Yes!
Well, one reason why I have difficulties with it is the Hit Dice and Hit Die thing. English is not my mother tongue and I mess up these two things.

But okay, now I understand that there is a pool of Hit Dice, which increases with every level I get with a specific class (i.e. when multiclassing, a druid level 3 has 3d8 and a wizard level 1 has 1d4 - seperate dice).
But when I ding up, I only use ONE Hit Die to roll the number, to which I add my CON mod and the current max HP.

I think I still don't have 100% understandment of this, but now I know many times more about this than I did before. Thanks guys!

More examples incoming...
I am a level 5 druid for example (CON mod is +2).
Lvl1: 10 HP
Hit Dice: 1d8

Lvl2: 16 HP - I rolled a 4
Hit Dice: 2d8

Lvl3: 21 HP - I rolled a 3
Hit Dice: 3d8

Lvl4: 26 HP - I rolled a 3 again
Hit Dice: 4d8

Lvl5: 32 HP - I rolled a 4
Hit Dice: 5d8

Now, I went into a combat and I lost 15 HP.
32 - 15 = 17 HP.
I am taking a short rest. I roll a 7 on my d8. Now I add that 7 to my current HP (17 + 7=24 HP).
Now I have 4d8 left in my pool. I am rolling once again. I got a 5 now. 5 + 24 = 29 HP. Now I have got left 3d8 in my pool.

I ding once again, and I get to level 6. I roll a 8 and add +2 and +32. I get 42 max HP. Now my pools are full again. Now I have 6d8.

Do I got it this time? Am I going in the right direction?
>>
>>48162325
Oops, I forgot the CON modifiers, but you get the idea.
>>
>>48162325
You're right in every point. Also, note that you rest to full HP and recover up to half your total HD pool(if expended) when you take a long rest, such as sleeping in an inn for the night. Anything including roughly 8 hours of continuous rest is a long rest.
>>
>>48162401

OH YES! The excitement!

But two things more I need to ask, then I am done.
1) Let's say, that I have 5d8 pool (max). Now I use 3 dice rolls of them to recover my health. I have 2d8 left in my pool; I go and take a long rest, and it should recover the pool back to half of it. Was it round down (does it still stay at 2d8) or will it go round up (will it go to 3d8)?

2) I am still really confused on the Char Sheet. I understand the Hit Point box, where I can write my maximum Hit Points and my current Hit Points (I use this box if I am wounded or so). But the Hit Dice box, beneath the temporary Hit Points... There is a "Total" and a just "Hit Dice". What do I need to write in both of these? What is the difference?

3) Actually, it came from my 3rd question... what are Temporary Hit Points? Do they come if I heal myself over my max HP (like it's a buff, for example +3HP of my regular max HP pool)? Or is it made for debuffs (i.e. bleeding effect or poisoned)?
>>
But I am going to say this once more again, if any of you should leave momentarily...

Thank you guys! Thank you so much! I've really couldn't figure it out myself. Love y'all (no homo).
>>
>>48162038
Yeah, that's it. Hit dice are really only used for certain spells and abilities ("This ability affects [number] hit dice of creatures.") or determining how much HP you regain from resting.
>>
>>48162038

yes this

Every time you go up a level you gain 1 Hit Dice. You roll this Hit Dice once, and your Constitution bonus, and add this to your Total Hit Points. Each Hit Dice only gets rolled once, the Constitution bonus is only added once per level.

Probably helps to use pencil.
>>
>>48162504
1) it rounds down. You'd recover 2d8, in this scenario.

2) I couldn't tell you for sure, but I'd assume hit dice is current hit dice, and total is your total. As long as you keep track of them somewhere though, that's what matters.

3) Temporary HP are something else entirely, unrelated to your current, or max HP, or your hit dice. You can gain temporary HP from spells or effects or whatever, but temp HP doesn't stack. Instead, you only use the biggest value you gain from one instance. If spell A gives you 10 temp hp, and spell B gives you 5, you have 10 temp hp.

If you have 4 temp HP from Spell C and then someone casts spell B on you, you have 5 temp HP.
>>
>>48162664

Okay, thank you so much!

Well, everybody did a really good job! 4chan actually thaught me something!
Finally I found some normal people here. :D

But OP is now off to start calculating his new character's HP...

Cheers lads!
>>
>>48162735
Using rage comics and emoticons on 4chan should trigger ban script.
>>
>>48162792

I was desperate, so I tried to stand out with this thread.
>>
>>48162836
Now you pay bills for my cancer treatment.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.