[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge - Post Independence Day Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 23
File: 57.jpg (46 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
57.jpg
46 KB, 312x445
Good morning boys and girls, and welcome to another Ask A Judge thread! Sorry for nothing over the weekend; I ended up too busy to make one! But I am no longer busy, so let's get those questions rolling.
>>
>>48124323
will the Eldrazi Deep-Friend be any good?
i think it won't be
>>
>>48124459
Unsure. You can drop it on turn 4 by feeding it a 3 drop, but I don't know how useful tapping 4 things is if you don't have dudes to attack in.
>>
How do deathtouch and wither/infect interact?
>>
>>48125330
On the same creature? They don't interact in any meaningful way, really. Infect and Wither just change the result of damage- normally damage to a creature results in that much damage being marked on it for the turn, but those abilities convert the result to 'that many -1/-1 counters'. Deathtouch makes it so any nonzero amount of damage from that source is lethal. So if you have a 1/1 with Deathtouch and Wither, it'll do 1 damage to whatever it ends up in combat with, that damage will put a -1/-1 counter on the creature, and then when SBAs are checked the creature will be destroyed (or just binned, if it was an X/1). The only real 'interaction' is that a 1/1 Withery Deathtouch guy could kill a Persist creature and keep it dead.
>>
Kitchen table werewolves: yes or no?
>>
>>48125452
Here's the entire flowchart for kitchen table

>Does it sound fun?
>Would your friends like to play against it?

If the answer to both is 'yes', do it.
>>
>>48125466
Thing is. It sounded fun and everyone played against it once, it's just that everyone else's decks are built so poorly that a basic budget R/G aggro deck has gone undefeated in 8 games and now nobody wants to play against it.
>>
>>48125360
What about deathtouch/trample? If i understand it correctly each blocking creature will be assigned only one point of damage, so a 3/3 deathtouch trample attacker blocked by two 1/2 creatures will deal 1 damage to the opponent's face.
>>
>>48125509
Well, help them out. It's always good to keep your group's skill and power levels in mind when building, but there IS a limit. Don't build hyper-fast turn 2 combo kills when everyone else is fucking around with tribal, sure, but if a basic budget aggro deck is the bogeyman of your group, they need to (politely speaking) become proficient. It's good to know your group's expected power, but if they're still stuck at the point where an Intro Pack is an upgrade, then they really need to step their game up and quit expecting you to get dragged down THAT far.

Help them refine their decks, or at least offer it.

>>48125529
Mostly correct. Deathtouch makes it so any amount of damage you assign is considered lethal for trample, so you can assign as little as 1 damage to each blocker. It's not automatic, though- if you wanted to assign 1 damage to one of them, and 2 damage to the other for whatever reason, you absolutely could.

But yes, Deathtouch + Trample lets you assign just 1 damage to each blocker and have the rest trample over.
>>
>>48125551
At what point do I have to flash in strangelhold (I run vernal equinox, shut up) in order to prevent my opponent from getting his free turn with beacon of tomorrows? Does it have to be while the spell's on the stack, or just anytime before he starts the extra turn?
>>
>>48125682
Just any time before that turn actually begins. No matter when Stranglehold hit the board the game is going to create that extra turn when Bacon of Tomorrows resolves, but with Stranglehold on board that extra turn won't HAPPEN. He'll go to start it and it'll just get skipped.
>>
I like how all those judges got banned just for being members of a facebook group
>>
>>48125812
Yeah, that caused quite the feather-ruffling amongst a lot of the Judge community.
>>
>>48125819
When you sacrifice a creature for Emerge, is it's Emerge cost reduced by the sacrificed creatures mana cost (i.e. including it's mana symbols) or just the sacrificed creatures converted cost?

I know there aren't official rulings on this as of yet but I'm willing to take your judges intuition as gospel.
>>
>>48125812
>>48125819
whuzzawhat?
>>
>>48125950
Anon, it literally says "converted mana cost" in the reminder text (which is on every single emerge card spoiled so far). Also, I'm pretty sure it goes over that in the mechanics article.

This doesn't take judge's intuition. This takes RTFC.
>>
>>48125551
>become proficient.

kek'd
>>
>>48125980
shhhhhh.

oops ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>48125950
Just converted.

>>48125980
To be fair, reminder text has exactly zero rules meaning, and has been a bit misleading on complicated mechanics in the past.
>>
>>48126046
I know, but they're generally not wrong about things like mana cost vs converted mana cost.
"Your creatures can help you cast this spell".
>>
>>48125958
Short version: Apparently someone in the US Southeast region was getting cards leaked to them by a WOTC employee for a couple of years- mostly cards that were complicated rules-wise. That person would share the cards with the higher-ups of the region to discuss them and the rules and policy and stuff, in a private facebook chat group... thing.

A bit before Oath of the Gatewatch hit, someone from that group shared two cards with someone OUTSIDE the group: Kozilek, the Great Distortion and Mirrorpool, showing the new colorless mana symbol. WotC went apeshit, suspended the outside-the-group guy for life for sharing them on twitter (which got reduced down to 3, then 2, then 1 year), and also suspended literally every Judge in the chat group for 6 months. That was every single L3 (save one) in the entire multi-state region, and a lot of the senior L2s.

After about... a month or two of being suspended, WotC rescinded the suspension and struck it from their records, but it really pissed them (and a lot of outside-the-region folks like me) off that WotC reacted that way. It also added fuel to the fire that is the current lawsuit against WotC.
>>
>>48126065
The land continues to burnnnnn
>>
>>48126092
WOTC has such bad PR, it's kinda hilarious.
>>
>>48126124
There used to be (might still be?) a website that was just a counter of "how many days since WotC fucked up".
>>
>>48126133
It's been about one a month for the last 18 or so.
I just don't get it.
I work in a game store. My boss, who has been in the business for a couple decades, knows lots about WOTC and what goes on there. It's a shitfest.
>>
>>48126176
To be fair, some of it is poor intra-office communication. One of the big SNAFUs recently was the 'proxy' thing, where Organized Play/WPN had been telling people for literal years that proxy events were 100% fine as long as nobody tried to sanction them and nobody was trying to pass the 'proxies' off as real cards in sales/trades. Then someone asked the wrong person, who said that a store hosting proxy events would lose their sanctioning, and everyone went crazy because some stores had been doing it for years, and suddenly the rules changed on them.

It turns out (if I'm remembering right) that either that person thought they were being asked about sanctioning proxy events, or was just terribly mistaken.
>>
>>48125812
I like your totally delusional insistence that the Multiverse is not a thing and that planeswalking is just magical interplanetary travel.
It's funny.
>>48125819
Judge, I just wanted to say thanks for all the time and effort you've spent making /tg/ less shitty at Magic.
Kaladesh memes notwithstanding.
>>
>>48126235
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted". I barely consider it 'effort' because I genuinely love doing this. But thank you for your sentiment- I truly appreciate it.
>>
>>48126211
I mean, a lot of their problems would be solved by disallowing anyone but their actual PR people from posting anything official on the internet.

But their office culture is apparently completely fucked up.
>>
>>48126280
I wouldn't know, to be honest. I just know they seem to have a propensity for putting their collective feet in their collective mouths. Also that they take to technology like a fat kid takes to kale.
>>
>>48126310
Basically, everyone who's worked there for a while is a power-tripping asshole to some degree. Also, your pull is based on your number of minions, regardless of experience, seniority, etc. The executive management is just kinda inept. Hopefully this will change with the new CEO.
>>
>>48126235
Again, the term plane was coined back when the Magic lore was yet to be solidified.
You sound awfully taxed about it I don't know why
>>
>>48126092

what lawsuit?
>>
>>48126384
Multiple judges have entered into a class-action lawsuit against WotC. The core argument of the lawsuit is that judges are employees, not independent contractors, for a number of reasons. As such, judges should be afforded certain rights, protections, and benefits that we are not currently afforded.
>>
>>48126404
I think if that ends in "favor" of the judges, it will likely just kill the judge program.
>>
>>48126412
Nah, because without the judge program basically everything higher than the FNM level completely falls apart.
>>
>>48126469
Depending on how much it'd cost WOTC to provide benefits, they might be okay with that for a short time while they "restructure" it - likely for the worse.
>>
>>48126499
They wouldn't have to, is the thing.

One of the things called for in the suit (which is public record since it was filed) is for WotC to create a wholly separate nonprofit organization to 'run' the Judge Program. A nonprofit can legally have unpaid volunteers and not need to provide them with the things an employer has to provide; WotC can't, since they're for-profit.
>>
>>48126469
The implication is if these people win, that means the rulings will encompass the whole judges in the judge program, even those who are okay with the current condition.
It will mean wotc have to either take everyone of them as employee, or 'fire' everyone.
>>
>>48126534
Well, technically only the judges in the US.
>>
>>48126563
So what, are we going to see an influx of outsourced judge positions to countries like india with cheaper labor costs?
>>
>>48126366
Nah. I mean, I don't doubt you (much). I'm just amused by your pointing it out. It's a bit like insisting Pluto is a planet.
Which, well, yeah, but a Dwarf Planet. You can be nearly correct while being outdated.
>>
>>48126720
>Dwarf Planet
>Dwarf Plane
>Segovia

IT ALL FITS
>>
>>48126563
So what the hell happened with Pro Tour Sydney and work visas?
>>
>>48127766
What happened like "was there a resolution", or like "what was the issue"? Because I don't know if we've gotten a resolution yet.

If it was the latter rather than the former (and hell, for those of you who don't know what we're on about): Pro Tour Sydney is coming up in just about a month. With very little notice (as in, we just learned about this LAST WEEK), the Australian government types have decided that traveling to Sydney to compete in the Pro Tour counts as work, and all the players will need to apply for short-term work visas, when normally for international travel a tourist visa is fine. This is very troubling, for several reasons:

1) A short-term work visa costs considerably more than a tourist visa. I heard someone saying around 200 USD, which all the competitors would have to pay before even TRYING to win money.
2) The visa takes about 4 weeks to get processed, which is a little terrifying when you're about four and a half weeks out from the event. You might find out a few days beforehand that your visa was denied, or it might get hung up somewhere and not get to you in time for the event.
3) The length of stay for the short-term work visa is much smaller than for a tourist visa, so people who were planning on getting there ahead of the event (or staying after) for a little vacation are having to scramble to change their plans

In their defense, WOTC had no real way of seeing this coming, and are doing their level best to try to either fix it or help the players who are getting thunderfucked.
>>
>>48127852
Yup, sounds like the Australian immigration department.

Remember that this is the government department that wanted it made illegal to report on human rights violations in mandatory detention centres for refugees.
These people hate people is what I'm saying.
>>
>>48128009
It's really the timing of it that's the biggest kick in the cock. Had we found out "BTW, you need a work visa" two or three months out, there would have been plenty of time to get that sorted (or for Wizards to figure out how to make it work without work visas), but barely a month and change away from the event has left a lot of people panicking.

What's worse is that this is the last Pro Tour of the 2015-2016 season, which means plenty of pros can't afford to miss this one because they need to battle for the Pro Points or the national rankings.
>>
>>48128082
Yup. Yup.
Our immigration department's shitty fingerprints are all over this one.
Fuck.
>>
>>48128200
What really sucks is that Helene heavily implied that this SNAFU may very well have torpedoed any chance of there being future PTs in Oz.
>>
>>48128243
Well... Hell. I really want to go to an Australian PT and I dunno if I can go see this one.
Fucking gummint.
>>
File: 48Nw3vR.png (141 KB, 219x310) Image search: [Google]
48Nw3vR.png
141 KB, 219x310
>>48128243
This looks... like it has memory issues.
>>
>>48128570
Eh, it might be a bit of a pain in Limited, but I feel like in Constructed it's easy enough to just bring along some pennies or glass beads and toss them on the things that the Mass slaps so everyone remembers.
>>
>>48128570
That thing is going to be hell on aggro decks.
>>
>>48128570
So. What if the thing has +2/+0 and first strike and is blocked by a 1/4? Does the 1/4 die after it becomes a copy or does the damage not carry over?
>>
>>48129075
it dies
>>
If permeating mass has first strike and attacks wurmcoil engine does the permeating mass deal it's damage and the wurmcoil then becomes a copy and does its damage and they both survive and are both permeating masses?
>>
>>48129075
The only ways to remove damage marked on something are regenerating it, ending the turn, or forcing it to become a new game object via flicker etc. Permeating mass does none of these, so damage will stay marked on the new form. If you were to say, bolt a creature and then hit it with your mass it would die, no matter how big its ass was prior to the bolt.

>>48130413
Yes

>First Strike damage step
>Permeating mass deals damage
>Wurmcoil engine becomes a copy
>Normal damage step
>Permeating mass (formerly wurmcoil) deals damage
>Both creatures are 1/3s with 1 damage marked on them
>>
With the new Mirrorwing Dragon, does it trigger if you redirect an opponents spell to it?
>>
>>48130708
No, it only triggers if a spell is CAST that targets it. When you redirect, the spell has already been cast, redirection doesn't cast it again, so the dragon doesn't trigger. Notable that copying spells on the stack that target Mirrorwing also won't trigger it.
>>
>>48130413
Well, you don't attack creatures, but both survive as Permeating Masses. The OG Mass will poke Wurmcoil and instantly turn it into a Mass. Then Masscoil hits back for 1, killing neither (and gaining no life)

>>48129075
1/4 takes 3 damage and becomes a 1/3. Then, when SBAs are checked, it dies because it's a 1/3 with 3 damage on it.

>>48130708
Only on cast, not on becoming target.
>>
If I drop a clone targeting say, a tarmogoyf that has previously been hit by a permeating mass does my clone become a tarmogoyf or a permeating mass? I *think* both effects apply in the same layer which would make my clone a mass, but I have trouble wrapping my mind around layers sometimes.
>>
>>48130786
Clones don't target.

Also, copy effects pick up other copy effects, so your Cloneogoyf would be a Permeating Cloneogoyf.
>>
>>48130766
>The OG Mass will poke Wurmcoil and instantly turn it into a Mass
So stack isn't used for the transformation effect?
>when SBAs are checked, it dies because it's a 1/3 with 3 damage on it
What if the 1/4 becomes the target of giant growth before damage is assigned, does it become a 4/6 and survives?
>>
>>48130856
>So stack isn't used for the transformation effect?
The stack is used. Permeating Mass' triggered ability is placed on the stack (and resolves, presumably) during the first strike damage step, before non-first strike damage is assigned
>What if the 1/4 becomes the target of giant growth before damage is assigned, does it become a 4/6 and survives?
Yes.
>>
>>48130856
Well, technically it pokes the Wurm and then that puts a triggered ability on the stack, and once that trigger resolves the Wurm becomes a Permeating Mass. But all of that happens before we get to the point where the Wurm's dealing damage.

If the 1/4 gets Growth'd before damage, then you'll have a 3/3 slap it for 3 and turn it into a 1/3 in layer 7b, but it gets the boost from GG in layer 7c, making it a 4/6 with 3 damage on it. It will NOT die, and then will slap the Permeating Mass back for 4, killing it.
>>
>>48130884
>>48130894
Alright, thanks for the clarifications.
>>
Okay. So a 3/3 with first strike and a 4/1 are on the field. If I dromoka's command and have the 3/3 with first strike fight the 4/1 does that mean my creature survives because of first strike?
>>
>>48131237
Nope. Fight =/= combat. First strike, flying, trample, things like that don't factor in at all. The only things that factor into a fight are things that work with DAMAGE, specifically. Lifelink, deathtouch, protection, things like that.
>>
File: this guy.jpg (113 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
this guy.jpg
113 KB, 312x445
I see that level up creatures are grated redundant abilities as they advance ("Hada Spy Patrol can't be blocked.", etc.).
I assume this means level up creatures lose their old level specific abilities as they advanced.
So could this guy not be used as a madness outlet once it reaches level 3?
>>
>>48131426
Correct. Basically Cryptologist has an ability that says "As long as this creature has at least 1 Level Counter on it, but no more than 2 level counters on it, it has 'T: Draw a card, then discard a card' and is 0/1."

As soon as you hit 3 counters, it switches over to "As long as Enclave Cryptologist has 3 or more level counters on it, it has 'T: Draw a card.' and is 0/1".
>>
>>48124323
Hopefully this doesn't sound too stupid. But this is a question on one of the new cards. "Noosegraf Mob enters the battlefield with five +1/+1 counters on it.

Whenever a player casts a spell, remove +1/+1 counter from Noosegraf Mob. If you do, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield."

So, casting essence flux on it. It will make it re-enter the battlefield with 5 counters, correct?

And to follow that, will casting the essence flux on it, will that spawn a zombie from its ability, or will it not get a chance to?

And lastly, if you cast essence flux on it, while it has 1 counter left. Since all spells remove a counter from it, will it die before essence flux brings it back?
>>
>>48131683
Yes to all three
>>
File: Spell Snip.xlhq.jpg (470 KB, 745x1040) Image search: [Google]
Spell Snip.xlhq.jpg
470 KB, 745x1040
>>48131500
>pic unrelated

Slightly weirder question.

I know that some abilities can fail it certain changes have happened since their activation (no targets left, creature with the ability died and needs to be around for the ability to work, etc.). What all conditions cause this? Is one of them losing the ability between activating it and resolving it?
>>
i have a skin invasion on a sanguinary mage
languish resolves
sanguinary mage goes to graveyard
skin invasion comes back as 3/4
languish says "all creatures get -4/-4 until end of turn"
does skin invasion flip get -4/-4, or only creatures that were on the battlefield when languish resolved?
new player, sorry if dumb question
>>
>>48131683
Casting flux will trigger it, you'll remove a counter and make a Zed. Then Flux will resolve and blink it. It will enter with 5 counters, because that's just how Noosegraf enters the battlefield. If you cast Flux while it's at one counter, it'll get removed before Flux resolves and die. Then Flux will be countered due to having no legal targets.

>>48131724
Good holy god that's a high resolution Spell Snip.

The only things that I can think of that make abilities fail are having no legal targets, the instruction being impossible to carry out (like exchanging a permanent that's no longer on the board with something else), or failing an 'intervening if' clause for certain triggers.

Losing an ability on a permanent after that ability has been activated or triggered doesn't stop the ability on the stack.

>>48131741
Only creatures that were on the field at the time. When things like Languish have an effect on a stated set of objects, that set is 'locked in' only once, and only applies to them.

Also, not a stupid question. DRIVING HOME NOW, more thread when I get there.
>>
>>48128243
>No more PTs in Australia
Thank fucking god. I knew they can't have any high-level events in Austria (The euro country, no L) because of gambling laws, and it was so frustrating people quoting aussie rules shit at me.

Now I can at least try to keep them seperate, but they're banned there as well.
>>
>>48128599
>Eh, it might be a bit of a pain in Limited
topkek

Weird cubes with both Permeating Mass and Morph/Manifest aside, people will just turn the face down in Limited.
>>
>>48131277
Wait really, first strike doesn't work on fight. Damn, you learn something new every day.
>>
>>48132615
Yeah, the word 'fight' makes a lot of people think it functions like combat, but it doesn't.
>>
>>48128570
Question on that
Say my opponent blocks this creature, his creature then becomes a copy of PM, but if it then dies, does it regain its original form or does it stay PM until the game ends?

I would believe it regain its original form, but I'm not entirely sure
>>
>>48133872
Once it leaves play, it'll lose all memory of having been a Permeating Mass and will be whatever it's printed as.
>>
>>48133872
Adding onto this. Does a flicker effect such as eerie interlude return my creature to the battlefield as. It's original or as a copy?
>>
File: selflesssoul.jpg (36 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
selflesssoul.jpg
36 KB, 265x370
>>48124323

It's probably pretty obvious but I'm stuck right now:

If I have a Rattlechains in play and my opponent wants to destroy one of my creatures, can I flash in pic related ("Sacrifice Selfless Soul: Creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn. ") and sacrifice it before my creature gets destroyed or do I lose any kind of priority after playing it without being able to sacrifice?
>>
>>48133872
As soon as objects leave zones, they lose all memory of what they were in that zone. The effect ends the second his creature leaves the board.

>>48133978
Original. Copy effect ended when it left the board and became a new object.

>>48133994
All players get priority after an object on the stack resolves. You can respond to their spell with Selfless Soul, and then after it resolves crack it.
>>
>>48133994
yes you can
>>
>>48133978
It'll return as it's normal self. Again, as soon as it leaves play it becomes an entirely new object that doesn't have any correlation for being hit by PM.

>>48133994
You can flash it in, and then after that resolves you'll get a chance to sac him. Your opponent WILL get priority, but even if they point a kill spell at it you can sac it in response.
>>
>>48134028
Who would point a kill spell at it then? Wait til it sacrifices itself and in response kill it.
>>
>>48134056
Doesn't work. Sacrificing selfless soul is a cost - by the time you get the chance, it's already in the yard.
>>
>>48134056
You can't. By the time you have a chance to respond to the activation of the ability, it's on the stack and all the costs have been paid for- that is to say, the creature has been sacrificed. You can't jump in 'before' they activate it during the activation, because Magic is not a game of reflexes.
>>
>>48134069
Wait, then if I remove it from the yard does that cancel its ability? I'm grasping at straws here
>>
>>48134121
Nope. Only way to stop a non-targeted activated ability is to counter it directly with something like Stifle, or to render what it does pointless with some other effect.
>>
>>48134121
Keep in mind, you can potentially kill OTHER creatures with selfless soul's ability on the stack - they'll die before soul makes everything indestructible.

You can also point kill spells at soul to make them sac it at awkward times, like the end of a turn.
>>
If a Permeating Mass deals damage to something that's enchanted with Ensoul Artifact and then Ensoul Artifact is destroyed, does the artifact it was enchanting remain a creature?
>>
>>48136845
Yep, because it's been made a copy of a creature way down in layer 1, which is 3 layers before the animation effect from Ensoul Artifact.
>>
>>48136845
TYes, it remains a creature. Also of note:
If a Permeating Mass deals damage to something that's enchanted with Ensoul Artifact, Ensoul Artifact will get destroyed for being equiped to an illegal target.
>>
>>48136925
Almost right. It's never equipped to anything, and it's not destroyed, it's just put into the graveyard.
>>
>>48136974
if I change permeating mass' base P/T and then have it deal damage, will that change the P/T of the things that turn into PM?
>>
>>48137087
Nope. Copy effects ignore everything that changes your cards, except other copy effects. Your Permeating Mass will turn other creatures into 'vanilla' Permeating masses.
>>
>>48137114
Not a rules question,
what's your opinion on using Rattlechains to flash Permeating Mass into play?
>>
>>48137182
I guess it's a pretty funny combat trick.
>>
>>48124323
What would happen if a player was given a commander via assault suit, then that player blinked said commander with restoration angel. Removing all attachments. Assault suit would still be on the field. But no longer attached. Would the player retain control of commander because of restoration angel and assault suit no longer being attached? Or would the original owner get his commander back at the end of the opponents turn?
>>
>>48137363
With Angel, it returns the creature under your control because the Angel says to put it onto the board under your control.

Be careful to read the cards, though- some of them blink and return under the OWNER'S control, which would just give the creature right back (albeit without Assault Suit on it)
>>
>>48137397
Wait. Aren't the owners of the commanders able to declare whenever the commander moves zones out of the battlefield if they are sent to the command zone instead? So when it is exiled with restoration angel it instead goes to the command zone.
>>
>>48137461
They are. Thing is, Restoration Angel doesn't specify anything about "from exile" or "the exiled card". That means that the ability will track the thing it blinks to the first public zone it actually ends up in. If you apply the Commander replacement, it'll track the Commander to the Command Zone, then bring it back from there.
>>
>>48137397
So the opponent who played restoration angel would keep the other players commander correct?
>>
>>48137500
Well that's bull. Now he owns my $80 foil.
>>
>>48137531
Yes.

>>48137539
Nah, ownership doesn't change, in either a legal or a Magic-terms sense. Just control.
>>
File: 53.jpg (60 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
53.jpg
60 KB, 312x445
>>48137539
No effect in the game will /ever/ change ownership. Period.
"Own" and "Control" are separate for a good reason.
>>
>>48137397
I don't really play EDH. Ever.
But I might build a Pauper DH deck one of these days,
so I'm kinda curious.

If the commander's control chose to move it through the command zone, would the casting cost go up?
If they didn't chose to, would the casting cost stay the same?
>>
>>48137778
The tax goes up each time you cast it from the Command Zone, not each time it goes there.
>>
File: Contract from Below.xlhq.jpg (677 KB, 745x1040) Image search: [Google]
Contract from Below.xlhq.jpg
677 KB, 745x1040
>>48137580
>No effect in the game will /ever/ change ownership. Period.
Actually, how exactly do Ante cards work?

I mean, I get that they change the out-of-game ownership, but how exactly does that work in-game?
>>
Is there any way to remove an emblem, besides the game ending?
>>
>>48137898
Technically it doesn't, since it literally can't happen in a sanctioned game.

But how it works if you decide to do it: each player puts a random card from their library into the Ante Zone after you determine which player will play first, but before players draw any cards. Everyone can examine the cards in the Ante zone at all times. At the end of the game, the winner becomes the owner of all the cards in the Ante zone, in both a gameplay sense and a legal sense.

If any cards tell you to ante during the game (like Contract from Below), you just add that card to the ante zone.

>>48137939
Resetting the game with Karn Liberated.
>>
>>48137945
Okay then. I thought there was a card that destroyed emblems, or was that planeswalkers? Can't remember. All I know was that it was black and didn't have that new fangled rarity bubble on the bottom middle.
>>
>>48138171
Hero's Downfall. Hits 'walkers. Nothing can destroy Emblems because they aren't permanents.
>>
Hey gA, another policy question for you.

I was called over tonight because a player found out that he had played with a 58-card deck. He informed his opponent, apologized, and called for me. I basically shrugged and told them there was diddly-squat I could do about it now and to be more careful in the future. I think they ended up re-playing the game, which I'm not sure is totally kosher but the match slip wasn't filled out or signed yet and I wasn't sure what game it was anyways. I did caution them before leaving the table not to attempt to use a coin flip, die roll, etc. to determine any game/match outcomes. I didn't stay to watch because I was working and judging and it was a busy-as-fuck night. Whatever ended up happening, they both seemed satisfied with the result, so that's not an issue at least.

So, what the fuck am I supposed to do in this situation? And bonus question, how would this be worked out at Competitive?
>>
>>48138279
Dude, just check the JAR. It's two pages. Print it front and back and get it laminated.

A player has illegal, insufficient, or another player’s cards in his or her deck

Remove any cards that shouldn’t be in the deck, put back any cards that should, then add basic lands of the player’s choice if the deck is below the format’s minimum size limit. Any cards that are added to the deck should be shuffled directly into the library. If the error was discovered during a draw effect, have the player complete the draw effect after the deck is fixed and shuffled. Encourage players to count their deck and present their sideboard (face down) to their opponents before starting a game to avoid these errors.

So yeah. The fix there is just to shuffle 2 basics (of his choice) into his library as soon as you discovered the problem and warn him to be more careful.

At Competitive, that's just a snap Tournament Error - Deck/Decklist Problem, which comes with a Game Loss. We'd take a moment to help him figure out which 2 cards he's missing (since we have his decklist) and give him a reasonable but non-excessive amount of time to find them, or find replacements. If he can't find any, we do the basic land fix and change his decklist to match what he's now playing.
>>
>>48138321
Also I just caught an Abra on Pokemon Go in my kitchen, so I'm gonna end tonight on a high note and get some sleep. See you dudes and ladies in the morning.
>>
>>48138321
I know how to resolve it mid-game. But what am I supposed to do, if anything, if a player tells me AFTER a game has concluded that there were not enough cards for the previous game? I assume it would still be a D/DL problem at CREL, and nothing a Regular, but my curiosity is piqued.
>>
File: Emblemer, Knight-Errant.xlhq.jpg (853 KB, 1490x1040) Image search: [Google]
Emblemer, Knight-Errant.xlhq.jpg
853 KB, 1490x1040
>>48138171
Nothing in the game will ever directly interact with emblems.
Interesting tidbit, emblems were initially errata because "For the rest of the game" kept causing memory issues.

>>48138342
Everybody! Quick! Start flooding questions!
>>
>>48138372
After the game's concluded, there's nothing you can do. Apply the fix and move on.
>>
>>48138372
At FNM? Fix it, tell them to call a judge WHEN they have a problem from now on, not afterwards. The usual Regular REL trio of "Educate, finger-wag, move on".

At Competitive, if it's caught before the end of their match you apply the penalty for said match. If it's after the match, the penalty is applied to their NEXT round.

>>48138399
It was more Elspeth specifically, because her ability worked on things you played AFTER it resolved (at the time) and people found that non-intuitive, likening it to a Wrath of God or a Mutilate hitting creatures that were played later in the turn (turns out Indestructible was fucking weird before it was an ability).

They also went with Emblems because it allowed them to do interesting things like... well, the emblems we have now.
>>
>>48138429
I think what happened was that the guy was de-sideboarding and noticed that he either boarded out too many cards or that two cards from the main had gotten stuck in the deckbox.

It's just that "oops, I played my last game with an illegal deck" feels like a weird situation to have come up. Ever had one like that?

Thanks for your time, gA! You definitely help make me a better judge.
>>
>>48124323
if I make the new Bruna my commander and she melds into brisella, does the damage from brisella count as commander damage or half commander damage?
>>
If I untap an untapped Hero of Leina Tower using Hidden Strings, does her heroic still trigger since she became targeted?
>>
>In some rare cases, you can have a token or a copy of a spell in your graveyard at the moment that an object’s delirium ability counts the card types among cards in your graveyard, before that token or copy ceases to exist. Because tokens and copies of spells are not cards, even if they are copies of cards, their types will never be counted.
What sort of situation would cause this?
>>
>>48138638
Commander is a property of the card, not of its game object.

>http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17560
>When FRF came out, manifest led us to talking about what it meant to be a commander—which is what got us talking about tuck in the first place. After a long discussion, we decided the best course regarding commander-ness was no change. Your commander is always your commander regardless of where it is or its status. That means enough hits from a face-down commander can kill you.

>http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2015/01/manifest-and-commander-damage/'
>As such, you could potentially win a game using Norin the Wary to deal 21+ combat damage to a player! Just make sure you reveal that the card is indeed your Commander when you manifest it, so that players know to track that commander damage accordingly.

>http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2014/12/the-lieutenant-abilities-know-about-commanders-that-are-face-down-or-copying-something/
>And “commanderness” is tied to the physical card: no matter what happens to that card, it’s still your commander.

I doubt there's an official ruling on your question yet, but the Brisella game object is represented by your commander.
I would be amazed if it didn't count for full.
>>
>>48138709
You can't choose to untap an untapped permanent, but you can just choose to not tap it when Strings resolves (that's what the "may" part means). So yes, you can target Hero, trigger heroic, and then leave her untapped.

>>48138763
Invasive Surgery could do this, in theory. Like let's say that your opponent casts Show and Tell, you Reverberate it, then with the SnT copy on the stack attempt to Surgery the original. Your opponent responds by casting Misdirection on Surgery, and changing its target to the copy of SnT that you control. When you go to resolve Surgery, it will put the copy of SnT into your graveyard and then check for delirium. Now the copy of SnT will cease to exist the next time state-based actions are checked, but that can't happen as we're in the middle of resolving a spell. The ruling exists to clarify that the SnT copy doesn't count as a sorcery towards Surgery's delirium check, since a copy of a spell isn't a card. Make sense?
>>
>>48139019
>Make sense?
Yuppers.

But why would that ruling need to be on the majority of delirium cards (say, Topplegeist)?
Is it just a cookie cutter ruling pasta'd onto every semi-relevant card?
>>
someone told me that with the new emrakul being printed, wotc is changing the rules regarding controlling another player, and disallowing things such as looking at another player's sideboard while you control them. is this true?? and if so, what is a good deck to start playing hearthstone with?
>>
>>48139154
Why do you care if you can look at your opponent's sideboard or not? That seems like a pretty petty complaint.
>>
>>48139154
>what is a good deck to start playing hearthstone with?
I've heard obnoxious things about hunters and not needing skill.
>>
>>48124323
My grandma has colon cancer What do i do?
>>
File: 13.jpg (54 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
54 KB, 312x445
>>48138429
>4/8/2016: If you choose Triskaidekaphobia’s second mode and begin to resolve it while an opponent’s life total is 13 and your life total is 1, that opponent will lose the game before you lose 1 life.
If you choose Triskaidekaphobia’s second mode and begin to resolve it while an your life total is 13 and your opponent's life total is 1, you lose right?
Do the other player(s) still lose the life in situations where it's relevant, say a multiplayer game?

>>48139515
Yo! gA is cool. Fuck off.
>>
>>48139515
Ask a doctor, not a judge.

>>48139154
That's the change. That you can't ever look at another player's sideboard, even if you control them.
Because the possibility of sideboard access messes with:
1. Team play.
2. Strategic concessions.
3. The timing of concessions.
4. What happens after a concession if a player is accessing information they're no longer allowed to.

Picture this: You Emrakul at a GP. Your opponent takes control of your next turn. They start looking through your sideboard on that turn. After they've seen 4 cards, you concede... And then they flick through and see 2 more.
You call the Judge.
Everyone is upset.
>>
I control a Mirran Crusader with a Pariah's Shield and Sword of Ice and Fire attached to it, and 3 damage marked on it.

My opponent casts a Lightning Bolt, targeting me. What happens?
>>
>>48124323
If i have a scuttling doom engine and a trading post in play and my opponent casts dominate on his turn targeting SDE am i able to pay (1) and tap trading post to sac SDE in response to dominate and hit them with its dying ability?
>>
question
how does the angel's hat stay on her head? looks like it'd fall off by a stiff breeze
>>
>>48139800

Dumb ruling.

So wishes fizzle if your opponent isn't conceding?

The same problems will happen (I would argue worse) if they have a library search effect.

Furthermore, who is conceding mid-search? You would either concede when if you cannot win before your turn starts, or you play it out if you're not going to lose. The Mindslaver is going to look at the SB before you even draw a card so no information is changing about your determination of if the game is still winnable. Ridiculous.
>>
>>48141463
You can't look at your own library mid-match without a search effect, either. I'm confused as to why you'd think that was relevant.
Re, concessions: In this situations we're talking about conceding to make winning the match more likely, either because the sideboard contains secret tech that the opponent could board around, or because the damage done in the taken turn renders the game near-unwinnable by itself.
In the new rule, Wishes would resolve by failing to find. Same as a fetch would, just without the search.
>>
>>48138476
I absolutely have, but the answer to most of the weird problems at Regular is "fuck it, can't unfuck the past".

>>48138638
Tabak confirms that if Bruna or Gisela are your Commander and merge into Brisela, Brisela will deal Commander damage.

>>48138709
It won't untap her since she's already untapped, but she's still a legal target and will still trigger.

>>48139082
Sometimes they just tack the same rulings for a mechanic onto every card with the mechanic.

>>48139154
It is true. Beginning with EMN, you are never permitted to look at your opponent's sideboard, even while controlling their turn.

>>48141090
The damage from the bolt gets redirected to Crusader, and then prevented because it has pro-red. Neither of you take damage.

>>48141411
Sure! There's no timing restriction printed on Trading Post's abilities, so you can do them any time you have priority, which includes during an opponent's turn (and in response to their spells)

>>48141432
It's magic I ain't gotta explain shit

>>48141463
If you use a Wish effect while controlling another player's turn, it simply does nothing because you aren't permitted to look at their sideboard.

People were mostly doing the 'concede to Mindslaver' when they had spicy sideboard tech they didn't want the opponent to know about, and made the strategical decision to call Game 1 a loss in order to have the element of surprise with their sideboarding in game 2.
>>
File: ulamogtheceaselesshunger.jpg (45 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
ulamogtheceaselesshunger.jpg
45 KB, 265x370
If I were to play Ulamog with Nahiri's ult, does that count as casting for the casting effect?
>>
>>48145137
>does it count as
No. 90% of the time your question has that phrase or anything similar the answer will be no.

You aren't casting Nulamog, you're putting it straight into play.
>>
>>48145276
Well shit.
>>
>>48145355
It's OK. You just exile twenty cards out of their library. If you're ulting Nahiri that might be the whole thing.
>>
>>48142472
About the Tree of Perdition.
I assume if you kill the tree when the ability is on the stack, nothing is changed because a switch needs both part of it like how you switch control of creatures?
>>
>>48145599
Exactly. If both sides of an exchange aren't able to be swapped, the swap doesn't happen.

Of course what you CAN do is reduce its toughness to 1 with the ability on the stack, that'll still work. But if it'll die before resolution it fails.
>>
>>48145622
Okay, thanks.
>1 toughness
You can already do that with Soul Separator.
I was just thinking how shitty it would be if you can Tragic Slip the thing and it use the last known information before realizing that it should be using the switch rules..
>>
>>48145667
I mean you still CAN use tragic slip. It's not an illegal target. It just doesn't have the effect you wanted.
>that's pedantic as fuck Anon holy jesus.
I'm a judge, it's my fucking job to be pedantic.
>>
>>48145137
Nope. Putting it onto the battlefield is not casting.

>>48145599
Right. You can't exchange unless there's 2 things to exchange. To obtain, something must be given. That is the Comprehensive Rules' 701.8a Of Equivalent Exchange.
>>
>>48145721
gA, need some advice. I got into a kerfuffle about pithing needle on Monday. (player asked if they could needle Underworld Connections, I say yes, they do so and it doesn't stop UWC because the land has the ability.) Now the guy is calling me a cheater and a fraud and is threatening to report me to JCC and DCI because of it, saying he can prove I was bribed.

What do?
>>
>>48145800
Well, for one, you were 100% correct with the ruling. The answer to the question "Can I name Underworld Connections with Pithing Needle?" is "yes", it's not your fault he asked the wrong question. Some judges might say you could have answered in a way that hinted to him that he's not asking what he's NEEDING to ask, but I say you did fine.

On to the 'repercussions': don't sweat it. The JCC doesn't take random "THIS JUDGE IS A CHEATING BRIBE-TAKING FRAUD" things lightly, since 99% of the reports of that they get are "I'm mad at this Judge". If you want, you might get ahold of your RC and let them know you gave a ruling that rambled the jimbloes of a player and that player has been threatening to fabricate a false report to the JCC as retaliation. But even if you just let it happen without you getting ahead of it, I highly doubt anything will come of it. Hell, I've had people report that I physically struck them because my ruling caused them to lose a game. Salty's gonna salt.
>>
>>48145836
If they tell the JCC about Underworld Connections, I think they'd be laughed at.
I remember when that interaction was in Standard!
>>
>>48146023
Oh, I'm sure if that gets included it'll be spun to "I asked him what happens if I name Underworld Connections with Pithing Needle, and he responded by screaming anti-semitic remarks at me, fornicating with my mother while I watched, and tearing up my Pithing Needles while calling me a cotton-headed ninnymuggins."
>>
God fucking shit "summoning sickness" triggers me so hard. 99% of judge calls about when something can or cannot attack come from the flawed assumption that summoning sickness is a thing that actually exists in the game.

Fuck spell speeds. Fuck the constant overuse of "fizzle." Summoning sickness is the piece of Magic vocabulary that needs to die.

"bolt your liliana" can stay for all I care. Remove summoning sickness.
>>
>>48146049
To be fair, "Bolt your Liliana" is an MTR-approved tournament shortcut.

Also, 'fizzle' used to be in the rulebook back in the day, and Rule 302.6 is actually listed as "the summoning sickness rule".
>>
>>48146049
"Fizzle" is super easy to explain. Spell speeds should be reframed about main phase vs priority windows.
Summoning sickness is just a weird shorthand for the rule. Also old copies of Dark Ritual that say Interrupt or Mana Source should be burnt.
>>
File: Spell queller.png (180 KB, 265x367) Image search: [Google]
Spell queller.png
180 KB, 265x367
Opponent casts Collected Company. I cast Spell Queller, targeting the Collected Company. I let the ETB exile target spell trigger go on stack, but in response to the trigger, I cast Essence Flux, targetting Spell Queller.

From what I understand, Essence Flux resolves. Since Spell Queller both left and entered the battlefield since the last time state-based actions were checked, I get to pick the order in which triggers resolve, right? That means I can put the ETB trigger on stack first and leave trigger second. Or am I getting something wrong here?
>>
>>48147036
It's all your trigger so yeah you can.
>>
>>48147036
That's correct, but you're not gonna get to do the perma-exile O-Ring trick here, because the ETB trigger on your Queller isn't optional. There's a legal target on the stack still (the CoCo), so you have to target it and counter it with the 'new' ETB trigger. No matter how you stack it, your 'new' ETB trigger is going to eat that spell, preventing you from perma-exiling it with the O-Ring trick.

For that to work, you need to use something other than the instantly-back blinks, or have another target.
>>
>>48146049
>summoning sickness

I'll be sure to use the term more often in your honor.

>>48146220
Or you can just bring up the oracle text on your phone in like 2 seconds.
>>
Are proxies legal in sanctioned standard constructed tourneys? I am hilariously poor.
>>
>>48147036
Problem: The new ETB trigger and the LTB trigger belong to different objects. So it doesn't matter which way you stack them. The LTB will give back nothing, because its object's ETB is still up there on the stack. You'll choose a target for the new ETB (Company). That ETB will resolve and stick Company under your still present Queller. The first ETB will be countered for having no legal target.
Don't waste your Essence Flux here. Use a straight bounce spell or something that exiles and leaves it exiled instead of blinks. Or save it until you have countermagic for Company.
>>
>>48147110
>Are proxies legal in sanctioned standard constructed tourneys?
Judge issued proxies are legal for tournament play, but they'll only give you one under pretty specific circumstances.
I forget all the details of that, but one of them definitely involves owning the real card.
>I am hilariously poor.
If that's your angle, then no.
Get a job before you get a hobby.
>>
>>48147066
>For that to work, you need to use something other than the instantly-back blinks, or have another target.
>or have another target.

So if we slip an extra spell onto the stack we're golden, right?
>>
>>48147307
>They do a thing
>flash in Queller
>cast another thing
>flicker queller
That works.
>>
>>48147036

If Spell Queller leaves the battlefield, does my opponent have to play that spell at that exact moment or does it stay "free to cast"/castable for the rest of the game?
>>
Are custom tokens (not containing nudity or anything lewd) frowned upon at FNM, or tournament play?
>>
Are competently built budget decks appreciated at FNM?
>>
>>48148115
Unless an effect says otherwise it has to be right then.
Spell Queller does not say otherwise.
>>
>>48148264
Not frowned upon at either.
>>48148275
Some people will bring casual decks to FNM.
Few people do. And they lose. Badly.
But what I'm getting at is, no one cares.
>>
File: Untitled.png (326 KB, 488x370) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
326 KB, 488x370
>>48124323
??????????
>>
>>48148533
Yes.

If you send SQ back to your hand before his ETB effect resolves, you'll permanently exile the spell.
>>
>>48148578
thanks

also awesome
>>
>>48148578
>>48148596
You do need to make it so you bounce it with the ETB trigger still on the stack, though.
>>
>>48147110
Judge-issued proxies to replace cards damaged beyond playability during the event are legal for that event only.

Counterfeits are not legal ever.

>>48147259
>>48147307
Yep. You can have Queller Trigger 1 perma-eat the spell you want perma-gone, and Queller Trigger 2 to temporarily eat the spell you only want temporarily gone.

>>48148115
Right then. When something tells you to cast a spell during the resolution of an ability (or other spell) and doesn't state a duration, it's now or never.

>>48148264
Not at all. Go hog wild with your tokens as long as they aren't offensive, don't contain strategical information, and clearly represent what they ought to be.

>>48148275
Depends on the store.

>>48148533
2WWU: Fuck Your Spell
>>
File: CouldNotParse.png (40 KB, 346x358) Image search: [Google]
CouldNotParse.png
40 KB, 346x358
>>48149358
>2WWU: Fuck Your Spell
2WUU
>>
>>48150768
Yeah, I derped. My bad.
>>
Any tips for a newbie? Picked up a newbie deck with a friend and we're diving head first into the game knowing nothing.
>>
>>48150819
Give the little basic rulebook... thing that it came with a quick looky-loo, it helps you understand stuff.

The Duels of the Planeswalkers game is free on Steam and it's not a bad way to get some more of the basics under your belt, too.

Also, check and see if there's a shop nearby and go talk to the workers there. Find out how newbie-friendly the area is, if they have a donation box you can pick through, and whether they hold drafts. Drafts are a great way to build a collection and your skill at the same time.
>>
>>48150819
Get all the parts of turn order straightened out. (Untap -> Upkeep -> Draw, etc).
If abilities are used in response to one another, they resolve first in last out (like a stack structure).
Try not to forget stuff triggers that say they happen at certain times.
If you have stuff left to do at the end of your opponents turn, remember to do it before starting your turn.
There are rules for coordinating who goes first if two people want to respond to something at the same time. Ask gA about this, it's complicated.
Simultaneous continuous effects get messy. If you're ever unsure about how they interact ask a judge you can do that in many places, this thread is obviously one of them.
Swing your dudes.

There are several ways to physically rotate your land cards.
The most efficient way is the smush your arm across all of them at once, then tilt your arm.
>>
File: help.jpg (63 KB, 446x311) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
63 KB, 446x311
Does this work how I think it does? Or does Hallowed Moonlight's effect end before the end step.
>>
>>48150943
The end step is part of the turn.
It works like you think it does.
>>
>>48150943
Hallowed Moonlight's effect ends during the cleanup step. That's where "until end of turn" stuff ends, and that's AFTER the End Step. This does perma-exile a thing.
>>
>>48150943
yes, Mr Long Road doesn't get to go home.
>>
>>48150972
Shit I'm retarded. Could have sworn it read until end step.
Thanks pham.
>>
>>48150985
Read The Friendly Card happens to EVERYONE. Don't sweat it.
>>
>>48150972
Another thing with Hallowed Moonlight:
If two creatures meld into another creature, do they get exiled by hallowed moonlight, or are they considered the same creature? And what about transform cards?
>>
>>48151002
Nothing enters or leaves the battlefield with meld
>>
>>48151021
Actually i meant with flip transformations, dunno about meld
>>
File: Sundial of the Infinite.xlhq.jpg (470 KB, 745x1040) Image search: [Google]
Sundial of the Infinite.xlhq.jpg
470 KB, 745x1040
>>48150972
I'm thinking of an unintuitive card that is vaguely along these general lines of discussion. Guess the card.
>>
>>48151002
The three meld pairs have you exile the cards, then bring them back melded. That's a creature trying to enter the battlefield that wasn't cast, so they just get shunted right back to exile and your opponent cries.

>>48151103
I'm gonna guess Summary Dismissal?
>>
>>48148533 Best meld of the set.
>>
>>48151134
>I'm gonna guess Summary Dismissal?
... I seem to have been unclear on the question.
The spoiler image was the answer, "these lines of discussion" was the linked post.
>>
>>48151185
Ah, I thought you meant something like Sundial.

So, Sundial ends the turn. Basically it just chops out everything between "this exact second" and the Cleanup Step and jumps right to it, do not pass Go, do not collect 200 dollars. Hallowed Moonlight's effect ends right there, but the Long Road Home delayed trigger had that end step plain skipped, so the creature just stays in exile a little longer until you DO get to an end step (probably the one during your opponent's turn) and comes back then, long after Hallowed Moonlight wore off.

Of course, you can just throw Long Road Home at them during your turn, and then when you get to the end step and the trigger fires, pop the Sundial to exile it and keep that sucker away from home forever.
>>
>>48124323
Why the Scherzo Magico?
>>
>>48151134 How exactly do layers work?
Why are they laid-out the way they are?
>>
>>48152679
Brand awareness.

>>48152786
Basically, anything that messes with the characteristics of an object fall into a system of layers, and we apply these continuous effects in a specific order. You apply Layer 1 before Layer 2, Layer 2 before Layer 3, so on and so forth. If there's conflict within a layer, it's USUALLY sorted out by timestamp, but sometimes there's a dependency and those are a little wonky.

They're laid out the way they are mostly to make them work somewhat intuitively (like the copy layer being before everything else so Clones don't pick up changes to the card, or the type-changing layer being before the ability-setting so that an animated artifact catches "Creatures you control have Trample").
>>
>>48126310

Don't bring me into this! My name's Kale.
>>
>>48153777 You can't chose your parents,
but you can pay a filing fee to get your name changed.

>>48153130
How does the DCI track/update for legal name changes?
>>
>>48154019
They don't, that I know of. You just get ahold of them and say "Hey, I need the name on my account changed because XYZ". I can look into it further if you'd like, but as far as I know that's the process.
>>
>>48154060
>I can look into it further if you'd like
No need, I was just curious.

Do you play any Pauper? If so, what decks?
What do you think of the recent Peregrine Drake downshift?
>>
File: Image (1).png (134 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).png
134 KB, 223x311
If my opponent casts an Ultimate Price and I Display of Dominance in response, does that mean he has to kill one of his own creatures if it fits the mono-colored requirements?
>>
>>48156065
You're never forced to reselect targets for a spell. If you cast a spell at a legal target, and then the target is made illegal prior to your spell resolving, it doesn't get shunted off onto some currently-legal target. If ALL targets of the spell are illegal, the game rules counter it and none of its effects happen. If only SOME of the targets are illegal, just ignore the instructions that aren't legal. For example, if someone cast Cryptic Command with the modes of "bounce target thing and draw a card", and you responded with Display, they would not draw a card. If they cast Profane Command with the modes of "Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn" and "Target player loses X life", and you used Display, the targeted creature wouldn't get the -X/-X, but the targeted player would still lose life.

BEDTIME.
>>
>>48156103
Wait, I thought the point of choosing the draw a card option was so that if the other mode doesn't work you still draw a card.
>>
>>48156151
Nope, it's to draw a card.
If ALL a spell's targets are illegal, it gets countered; so a Cryptic choosing counter draw can be blown out by Remand targeting the spell that the Cryptic targeted.
It's still a frequent choice because drawing a card is really really good.
>>
>>48156103
Can Snapcaster Mage let you Ancestral Visions for free?
>>
>>48156603
>10/15/2006: This has no mana cost, which means it can't be cast with the Replicate ability of Djinn Illuminatus or by somehow giving it Flashback.
>>
>>48156592
Ah I see, learn something new everyday.
>>
>>48156603
No, but you can goblin dark-dwellers it.
>>
Not sure if this is the right MtG thread to ask this..
Can some anon help suggest something for my casual landfall deck I'm trying to build? So far I have:

1 Baloth Woodcrasher
2 Calcite Snapper
1 Coral Merfolk
1 Frontier Guide
1 Goliath Sphinx
1 Hedron Rover
1 Living Tsunami
1 Merfolk Wayfinder
1 Territorial Baloth
1 Tideforce Elemental
1 Walking Atlas
-Sorcery (2)-
2 Treasure Hunt
-Instant (2)-
1 Æther Tradewinds
2 Mysteries of the Deep
-Artifact (1)-
1 Seer's Sundial
-Enchantment (6)-
2 Paralyzing Grasp
1 Telepathy
1 Vapor Snare
2 Wind Zendikon
-Land (18)-
8 Forest
2 Halimar Depths
8 Island
(42 cards total so far)
>>
File: rused.png (2 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
rused.png
2 KB, 100x100
>>48156740
>Not sure if this is the right MtG thread to ask this..
This is absolutely the wrong thread. There is, in fact, no relevant thread in the catalog. This is one of those rare situations where you should have made a new thread. Some of those cards are better than others. Try to cut the worse cards so you can run the better cards in 3s or 4s. You want better odds of getting your better cards.
>>
>>48156740

Looks fun
>>
>>48156740
Casual landfall?

Looks fun. Play it.
>>
File: 1343417251974.jpg (29 KB, 317x357) Image search: [Google]
1343417251974.jpg
29 KB, 317x357
Hi!

1. How does trample and deathtouch (on attacker) interact with indestructible (blocker)?

2. Can you have both new and old Thalia in play at the same time?

3. Will you attend the EMN prerelease, and if so, what mechanic or spoiled card do you think will cause the most grief, rules-wise?
>>
>>48157606
1. You can't trample past an indestructible creature because you can't deal enough damage to kill it. Deathtouch also has no effect on indestructible.

2. Yes you may, since they have different names
>>
>>48157632

Thanks anon!
>>
Will a Deceiver of Form which makes everything a Biovisionary win the game if there's enough creatures on my board to satisfy the wincon, or will they revert before I win?
>>
>>48124323
If someone casts swords to plowshares on my wurmcoil do I still get the tokens ?
>>
>>48157606
>>48157632

I am 100% certain once you assign enough lethal damage to "kill" an indestructible blocker, the damage goes through. It's just the blocker does not die, but the trampler can assign any excess damage as it sees fit.

Example: 3/3 trample Vs. 0/1 Indestructible, you may assign 2 damage to the player after dealing 1 to the blocker
>>
>>48158989
No sice it doesn't die.
>>
>>48159025
Thanks!
>>
>>48158973
"Until end of turn" wears off in the Cleanup Step, which is immediately AFTER the End Step (the step in which Biovisionary triggers).

>>48158989
Exile =/= die. "Dies" means "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield".

>>48157606
1) The same as normal. You can trample over once you assign 'lethal damage' to all blockers. "Lethal Damage" is defined in the CR as damage equal to a creature's toughness, OR any amount of damage assigned by a source with Deathtouch. The game doesn't look far forward enough to 'check' if the damage actually kills the creature.

2) Yes, they don't have the same exact name.

3) I will not be, unfortunately. Permeating Mass.
>>
How's does Sigardas blessing work with bestow creatures? Does it just allow you to cast them for their bestow cost a instant speed.
>>
>>48159227
so a 3/3 trample deathtouch attacking into a 10/10 indestructible will deal 2 damage to defending player?
>>
>>48159642
yes
>>
>>48159517
I don't believe you can. I know that due to the weirdness of Bestow you could use things like Savage Summoning or Yeva to cast Bestow cards as though they had flash, because at the time you began to cast them, they were still creature spells. I'm thinking that works backwards here- since they aren't Aura spells when you START to cast them by moving them onto the stack from whatever zone, Blessing won't work.

I'll look into it, though.
>>
File: pepsi.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
pepsi.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48159020
>119.6. Damage marked on a creature remains until the cleanup step, even if that permanent stops being a creature. If the total damage marked on a creature is greater than or equal to its toughness, that creature has been dealt lethal damage and is destroyed as a state-based action (see rule 704). All damage marked on a permanent is removed when it regenerates (see rule 701.12, “Regenerate”) and during the cleanup step (see rule 514.2).
>702.12b A permanent with indestructible can’t be destroyed. Such permanents aren’t destroyed by lethal damage, and they ignore the state-based action that checks for lethal damage (see rule 704.5g).
>702.19b The controller of an attacking creature with trample first assigns damage to the creature(s) blocking it. Once all those blocking creatures are assigned lethal damage, any remaining damage is assigned as its controller chooses among those blocking creatures and the player or planeswalker the creature is attacking. When checking for assigned lethal damage, take into account damage already marked on the creature and damage from other creatures that’s being assigned during the same combat damage step, but not any abilities or effects that might change the amount of damage that’s actually dealt. The attacking creature’s controller need not assign lethal damage to all those blocking creatures but in that case can’t assign any damage to the player or planeswalker it’s attacking.
>>
>>48160576
How do you interpret the rules you just quoted, in plain English?
>>
>>48160576
702.2b. Any nonzero amount of combat damage assigned to a creature by a source with deathtouch is considered to be lethal damage, regardless of that creature's toughness. See rules 510.1c-d.

"lethal damage" is not "damage which destroys a creature". "Lethal damage" is "Damage equal to or greater than a creature's toughness", or "any amount of damage from a source with deathtouch".

Trample + Deathtouch vs indestructible blocker = assign as little as 1 to blocker, and remainder to dome.
>>
>>48160663
gA said it here: >>48159227
I hadn't gone downthread before posting.

>>48159948
>4/26/2014 You don’t choose whether the spell is going to be an Aura spell or not until the spell is already on the stack. Abilities that affect when you can cast a spell, such as flash, will apply to the spell after you've made this choice. For example, an effect that said you can cast creature spells as though they have flash won’t allow you to cast a creature card with bestow as an Aura spell anytime you could cast an instant, but one that said you can cast Aura spellas as though they have flash will.
>>
>>48160714
>>48160735
Interesting. That's the exact opposite of what we thought. It's also 2 years old, so I don't know if that ruling predates the change to spell legality.
>>
>>48160735
>>48160714
Which card's Gatherer ruling is that? I'm seeing them saying the exact opposite:

>4/26/2014: You don’t choose whether the spell is going to be an Aura spell or not until the spell is already on the stack. Abilities that affect when you can cast a spell, such as flash, will apply to the creature card in whatever zone you’re casting it from. For example, an effect that said you can cast creature spells as though they have flash will allow you to cast a creature card with bestow as an Aura spell anytime you could cast an instant.

Your quoted one says 'an effect that said you can cast creature spells as though they have flash WON'T allow you to cast a creature card with bestow", but mine says it WILL.

Also, either way it's outdated, because of 601.2e.
>>
File: based removal.jpg (70 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
based removal.jpg
70 KB, 312x445
>>48160865
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=380390
>>
File: what the hell gatherer.png (62 KB, 1053x369) Image search: [Google]
what the hell gatherer.png
62 KB, 1053x369
>>48160902
That is fucky as shit, because Magiccards.info has a totally different ruling listed.

Also, the L3 I'm talking about this with is now not sure what the actual answer is. We're looking into it now.
>>
what is your opinion on the digital TCG, Hex: shards of fate?
>>
>>48162700
Don't really have one. I know two of the players in my area have sold all their Magic shit and started playing Hex, and I know they got sued for some pretty heavy copyright infringement stuff a couple years back, but that's about all.
>>
>>48162731
yeah the settlement on that suit was weird, like none of their champions can have a starting life total of 20 and some other random junk
>>
>>48162747
I know basically nothing about it, and I didn't even know it was settled already. I just remember people posting some side-by-sides of "this is literally a reskinned Magic card" back when it broke.

I think digital TCGs are neat, and as much as I dislike playing Hearthstone for several reasons I do really like how being a digital-only game gives you some interesting design space that just doesn't exist in paper games. I just don't have the time or money or energy or give-a-damn to get into two TCGs.
>>
>>48124323
...So, is it true that Magic is that open to rules-lawyering like the chaos confeti thing, or that time that a guy made a player from another table lose because the card didnt specify the oponent player?

Seen anything like that?
>>
>>48164143
Not even remotely. The rules of Magic are mostly pretty ironclad, and the areas where there's wiggle room is Policy stuff that's up to the Judges to put the kibosh on stupid shit. The Chaos Confetti thing is an urban legend, and the Magic rules very clearly say what a 'player' is defined as within the scope of a game.
>>
File: checked.png (340 KB, 494x627) Image search: [Google]
checked.png
340 KB, 494x627
>>>48162777 pic related
>I do really like how being a digital-only game gives you some interesting design space that just doesn't exist in paper games
Thoughts on Tyrant Unleashed (bookkeeping intensive) and Assasin's Creed: Recollection (real time, not turn based)?
Also, not really design space specific but, thoughts on Decromancer and RevErsi Quest?

>>48160902
If someone Giant Growth's their dude and you respond with Crystalline Nautilus at instant speed (somehow), does their dude die? "Becomes the target" won't trigger from already being a target right?
>>
>>48164198
Like I said, I don't FOLLOW other games much, I'm just vaguely aware of them when friends talk about them. I don't have the time or the interest for more TCGs.

And right. It has to go from NOT being the target, to being the target. If you flashed in Nautilus to enchant their guy, changed the Giant Growth's target to something else, then changed it BACK to their guy, it'd trigger. But it won't retroactively trigger from when they became a target earlier.
>>
File: not!FactOrFiction.jpg (39 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
not!FactOrFiction.jpg
39 KB, 265x370
Do you get to see your opponent arrange the piles?
Let's say you know the top few cards of your deck, do you see how your opponent arranges them?
>>
>>48164292
Wait. Only one of the piles is face-down.
I mean, I'm still curious; bit I guess it doesn't matter.
>>
>>48164292
Technically no- you don't get to know "this pile is the top card and the fourth card down, the other is card 2 and card 3". You just know how many cards are in each pile.
>>
>>48164348
It wouldn't take much deduction to figure out which of the top 4 are in each pile if you somehow know them all.
Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.