[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>DM lets a player retcon their character a day before the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: 1422515154358.jpg (220 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
1422515154358.jpg
220 KB, 1252x1252
>DM lets a player retcon their character a day before the game
>Player makes a new PC who has pretty much the exact same party role as you
>Lets them roll for attributes while everyone else used point buy

Why do people think this is okay?
>>
>>48114803
>Using a system with both rolling and point buy

>>
>>48114803
A combination of favoritism, wanting to please everyone, and not wanting to cut into game time.

>>48114909
A combination of not knowing there are options and not wanting to learn a new system because of the sunk cost fallacy.
>>
>>48114803
>DM lets a player retcon their character a day before the game
>Player makes a new PC who has pretty much the exact same party role as you
>Lets them use sum-to-ten while you use karmagen

>>
So your DM let another player play a character with the same role as yours but built with a significantly inferior method of stat allocation? What's the problem?
>>
>>48115535
Hey rolls are always superior. It makes more memorable characters. Sometimes you get two 16's and a bunch of 10s, somtimes you get a bunch of 12's. And if you're a real DM you'll make them roll 4d6 drop the lowest /in order/.
>>
>>48115535
"Last minute attribute rolling," typically translates to, "Can you believe how lucky I got?! I rolled two 18s, and nothing else is below a 15!"

Everyone knows it's bullshit, but no one wants to be the one to call him on it.
>>
File: 1355598761083.jpg (50 KB, 548x518) Image search: [Google]
1355598761083.jpg
50 KB, 548x518
>>48114952
>the sunk cost fallacy.
This gets touted on /tg/ a lot, and it is nonsense. Most of the people playing RPGs are pirating them, there's no sunk cost to be had. Heck, I've seen people download and read hundreds of games, while still sticking to their preferred one, so whatever it is has nothing to do with cost, either in money or time.
>>
>>48115709
>I've seen people download and read hundreds of games, while still sticking to their preferred one
>whatever it is has nothing to do with cost, either in money or time

Time spent learning the system is still time spent. They've been playing it for so long that it seems like a waste to ditch it in favor of something else after all this time. Thus the sunk cost fallacy rears its head.
>>
File: 121_17.jpg (72 KB, 700x1000) Image search: [Google]
121_17.jpg
72 KB, 700x1000
>>48115757

The point I am making is that, if it were really about the time it takes to learn, then they would be equally unwilling to take the time to read other systems, which for the vast majority is all it takes to learn them.

People do not hold the time to learn as a cost: it is easier to convince someone to learn a new system, in my experience, than to actually get them to play it, especially for more than one session. People waste many hours fiddling with new dice mechanics and discussing minute details on /tg/, for example, but how much of that translates to variety in play? Heck, it does not even translate to variety in /tg/ posts: we get the same threads every day.

Applying the sunk cost fallacy as an explanation for game choice is merely a way for people to disparage others who choose games that the poster does not like. It has no basis in reality.
>>
>>48114909
Why bother playing at all then? Everything is flawed ever, why bother living, why bother doing anything ever?
>>
>>48114803
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're rolling for attributes you don't know your party role until you've got your stats generated. Otherwise it'd be a case of "I'm a strength champion fighter like frank!" *Proceeds to roll 8 Strength and 7 Con*
>>
>>48115858
>they would be equally unwilling to take the time to read other systems
They are.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.