[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any good tabletop games regarding the TNG/DS9/VOY era? So, I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: quarkie.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
quarkie.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
Any good tabletop games regarding the TNG/DS9/VOY era?

So, I'm really enjoying DS9. Wasn't much of a Trek fan, but this is actually pretty good.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of "good" Star Trek tabletop games out there though, past the TOS era.
>>
File: Gul-Dukat.jpg (37 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Gul-Dukat.jpg
37 KB, 500x375
>>48098573
Bump / Continued:

BGG is kind of shit when the search is clogged with blister packs.

Seems to be mostly board/card games.

Fleet Captains I heard was good, and comes with a lot of unpainted models (a plus for me), but it was discontinued and the expansions are hard to find.

Frontiers is a new game in the same vein as Fleet captains.

The only wargame of mention being Attack Wing, which seems to have a lot of content from the show, but is supposed to be a letdown on overall quality and hard to find players for.
>>
Final bump.

No Trekkies on /tg/ I guess.
>>
>>48099531
You merely asked at the wrong time of day.
>>
>>48099990
Eh midafternoon pacific seemed like a good bet on a weekend.

When is anybody on then?
>>
File: Lasers and Feelings.png (430 KB, 1250x986) Image search: [Google]
Lasers and Feelings.png
430 KB, 1250x986
>>48098573

Board games - Star Trek Ascendancy looks good.

Attack Wing is just basically Star Trek X-wing afaik but never gets talked about.

Fleet Captains looks fun as well.

PnP - Lasers and feelings I guess?

The decipher one is alright, and the FASA has good supplements, but shit rules overall.

I think part of the problem is the licensing costs. The same shit basically happens with most IPs. The big companies which can consistently produce quality products are just developing their own shit and the small-mid range companies that license IPs like star trek games just don't seem to have the marketing presence or the established fanbase so most of these games, which are of mixed quality, tend to go unnoticed.

So the good ones go OOP and the bad ones just clog up the search engines making it harder to find the good ones.
>>
>>48098573
I think decipher's tabletop RPG went past TOS, but I'm not sure how good it is.
I've been trying to put together a decent idea for a Federation War story for awhile now.
>>
>>48100166
>I think part of the problem is the licensing costs... ... are of mixed quality, tend to go unnoticed.
Tell that to Star Wars right now.
EotE, X-Wing, Armada, Imperial Assault, etc...

Which is shit for me, since I didn't even like the new JJ Abram's Star Wars.

Finger's crossed the new Trek TV show coming out isn't complete shit like JJ Abram's movies.
>>
>>48098573
>past the TOS era
I'm not an oldfag, but I'm a lifelong Trekkie and played a lot of the tabletop games growing up, and outside of Starfleet Battles, none of them seemed particularly good to me.

I think a big part of the problem people have when designing Star Trek games is that they're trying to design shooters and action games (like that Abrams-verse game that came out a few years ago), when that's really not what Star Trek is about. It's about exploration, adventure, politics, etc. The best way to do a Star Trek game IMO would be to take a game system that's already geared for those things and mod it to be Star Trek.
>>
>>48100827
You're understating how much combat was in the TNG/DS9/VOY era

Granted, the formula was usually the same where each side usually had plot devices or tricks they could use back and forth until some resolution.
>>
File: StarTrekWave11_zps8da1b388.jpg (45 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
StarTrekWave11_zps8da1b388.jpg
45 KB, 800x600
>>48098729
It's not as bad as you've heard.

Most of the complaints are from some of the early years.
>>
>>48098573
The old Decipher Trek system was specifically made for a TNG/DS9 audience. It's an excellent little game.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.