[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk about MaRo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 220x391) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 220x391
Let's talk about MaRo
>>
He speaks so loud in every video. To the point as if he shouts to the camera.
>>
>>48091605
No.
>>
File: 254[1].jpg (71 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
254[1].jpg
71 KB, 312x445
It's hardly worth talking about. You'd be hard pressed to find any deck in a constructed format that wants it.
>>
No, let's not. /tg/ has repeatedly proven that they can't talk about Maro without blaming him for everything they hate about Magic (which is everything that makes everyone else like Magic).
>>
>>48091605
>>
>>48091813
>Not a fuck dredge card somewhere
>>
He talks like he's retarded and acts like it too
>>
>>48091605
Why does he wear the mask?
>>
>>48091605
MaRo makes me ashamed of being Jewish
>>
He's a good scapegoat and has talent at taking pressure away from the rest of the Magic team.

I'm not a fan of his, but he could leave tomorrow and I doubt anything would change.
>>
He's a better designer than all of tg
>>
His Drive to Work Podcast is great. Guy seems really down to Earth for getting shit on so much by the community over things out of his control.
>>
>>48091605
MaRo'mrakul.
>>
>>48091605
While I do not agree with everything he thinks, he seems to be genuinely trying his hardest to make Magic as best it can be in the area he actually does control. Development, on the other hand, seem to have their heads up their asses on what makes for good formats, despite their constant fuckups, and Creative can't write worth shit.
Also, he hates the Reserved List just as much as any of us.
>>
File: 1462848904628.jpg (70 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1462848904628.jpg
70 KB, 480x360
>>48091605
>>
>>48092293
He's a good designer when it comes to making a marketable set. The sets themselves aren't particularly good.
>>
File: implying false.jpg (37 KB, 720x360) Image search: [Google]
implying false.jpg
37 KB, 720x360
>>48092399
>spoiler
Source?
>>
His job is to be the Minister of Propaganda. He is basically a professional shit-spinner.
>>
>>48092426
I disagree but that seems like a matter of taste rather than objectively he's bad
>>
>>48091758
10/10, would run in Jund Hellbent.
>>
>>48092434
It's going to be ass looking through his blog, because of how much damn shit gets posted there constantly, but it's rather limiting on Wizards on what they can and can't do and really doesn't help them at all. And was started before he even began working there.
Though if I recall the thing that REALLY bothers him the most is the inability to make flying first strike 2/2s for 1WW which he keeps doing accidentally, since the Big Fancy Stuff that everyone wants isn't under his purview
>>
>>48091605

>Celebrity worship syndrome (CWS) is an obsessive addictive disorder in which a person becomes overly involved with the details of a celebrity's person and life.

Just play the fucking game, he doesn't Love you back.
>>
File: Boom Blade.jpg (179 KB, 400x560) Image search: [Google]
Boom Blade.jpg
179 KB, 400x560
>>48092293
>He's a better designer than all of tg
That's not at all difficult. Maro isn't even to blame for most of the things /tg/ hates, and almost everything /tg/ does blame Maro (or anyone at Wizards) for is things that either would have been impossible for them to know (spoilers: the WotC office cannot playtest a game as well as thousands of magic players) or are honestly good decisions for the game and it's marketing ("Jacetice League" and diversity being the two biggest).

/tg/ flipped their shit that he said they don't want to print a lot of Red cards that deal ludicrous amounts of damage, because it amounts to being the same as removal. /tg/ flipped their shit as if he didn't want Red to have anything good, when he just meant they don't want cards that might as well be pic related.

>>48092528
>Though if I recall the thing that REALLY bothers him the most is the inability to make flying first strike 2/2s for 1WW which he keeps doing accidentally, since the Big Fancy Stuff that everyone wants isn't under his purview
What do you mean? Also, I don't want a flying first striker. That sounds terrible.
I also do think he can be too strict on the colour pie, or just arbitrary (Beast Within is perfectly fine in Green and terrible in blue)
>>
>>48092399
I wonder if he wishes he could just work on Duel Masters instead. Is Maro a landfag like a lot of mtg players? Because if so, then I guess DM isn't for him.
>>
File: on the reserved list.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
on the reserved list.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
>>48092528
>Reserved cards are cards that will never be printed again in a functionally identical form.
>A card is considered functionally identical to another card if it has the same card type, subtypes, abilities, mana cost, power, and toughness.
Shouldn't it be fine as long as it's not an Elemental Spirit?

>>48093184
pic related
>>
>>48093184
I like how boom blade is worst that doom blade despite being functionally the same spell, all because of the samantics of destroying vs. dealing damage.
>>
>>48093184
Thunder Spirit - with a different name and creature type - would be a good common for draft in various situations.
They are incapable of printing a 2/2 flier with first strike at 1WW because Thunder Spirit is on the Reserved List.
>>48093276
Just creature type apparently doesn't count for Reserved List purposes, apparently - as far as their legal team is concerned, at least. Same with adding Snow to the duals.
>>48093264
He worked on Duel Masters when it first came out and helped come up with the mana system there, and currently thinks it's not a good idea BECAUSE you're guaranteed a perfect curve
>>
>>48093264
He feels that mana is one of the most important parts of Magic. I believe it's "The Colour Pie" (even if early stuff ignored it), "Mana", and "the Collectable Card Game Format"

>>48093276
>>48093355
Oh, that's why. Although there are similar things. I assume it's more "I wish this aspect wasn't inviolate" as opposed to "I specifically want to print this card".
http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3Aflying%2C+o%3Afirst+o%3Astrike+pow%3D2+cmc%3D3&v=card&s=cname

>>48093307
Yeah, but still. They don't want a bunch of cards like Blasphemous Acts except sparingly.
>>
>>48093442
Exactly, I don't think there should be a ton of blasphemous acts floating around, I just get a chuckle out of Boom Blade. (The name is rad as hell though)
>>
>>48093184
>>48093184
>>48093184
>is things that either would have been impossible for them to know (spoilers: the WotC office cannot playtest a game as well as thousands of magic players)
one of the things that still makes me like WotC is they are pretty good about admitting when something they did was a total fuckup, and why.

Skullclamp: they published the design history that lead to that fuckup.
JtMS: even the community didn't understand how powerful that was for quite some time, and when it did distort the metagame so hard, they published a full description of their reasoning for the banning.
Mental Mistep: again, reason why they made it, and why it didn't work.

>Red
They also flipped their shit when he started giving red more options, because he thought they were too narrow of a color.
IIRC He was the voice behind red getting more card draw through rummage, random discard, exile-play, etc.
Solidify red as temporary control effects, mainly creatures, but also spells, other permanents.
>>
>>48093355
>thinks it's not a good idea BECAUSE you're guaranteed a perfect curve
Then he's just narrow minded because you can always offset consistency in one area by making other things less consistent, but it's hard to do the opposite. A powerful albeit random mechanic can shift decks to being less predictable, but a mechanic that increases consistency can throw everything out of balance.
>>
File: Lovestruck Fool.png (317 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Lovestruck Fool.png
317 KB, 375x523
>>48093893
I want to see some mechanical representations of Love in Red. Call it "Lovestruck Martyr" or something and Spellskite's effect would be perfect for Red. It already has redirect effects.

Actually. I spent way too long making this.
>>
>>48094902
I feel like it would make more sense as something like "Sacrifice ~: Counter target spell that targets you", which is almost an acceptable color bleed.
>>
>>48095014
Possibly. I was going more for a "jump in front of the spear" sort of thing. But I couldn't find a good image of that. I don't know if an actual counter would really be Red. But then again, I was wrong about Red getting Redirect effects. Only one it gets is Wild Ricochet (which is also a spell copy effect).
>>
>>48093355
>Reserved List
>legal team

what? is there even a legally binding contract or document that states Wizards can't print Reserved List cards other than collectors being mad as their investment suddenly become worthless?
I look at it like comic books. An issue printed in the 1940s will be very valuable compared to a newer reprint because of rarity. then again, I don't know what the reprint policy for comic books
>>
>>48096434
"A promissory estoppel is the legal principle that a promise is enforceable by law when the promisor (person making the promise) makes a promise to the promisee (person being promised) who relies on it to his or her detriment."
Basically, because Wizards of the Coast made a promise all those years ago, anybody who bought cards on the reserved list under the assumption that they'd not be reprinted (or claimed they did) could sue the pants off of Wizards if they reprinted anything on the list.
>>
>>48096434
>An issue printed in the 1940s will be very valuable compared to a newer reprint because of rarity.
That is true, a NM Beta lightning bolt goes for +$100 while a new one goes for ~$2, but that's because it's been reprinted so many times.

But stuff like the Dual Lands and Power 9 haven't been printed since 1994, they would probably tank a little from people who have white bordered versions selling them just to get the new ones (kind of like Force of Wills and other cards reprinted in Eternal Masters did) which are actually cheaper due to not being as old. But they know the collector market is going to be fucking livid at them for breaking a ~20 year old promise, so they won't do it.
>>
>>48096434
>is there even a legally binding contract or document that states Wizards can't print Reserved List cards
Literally this, yes. The specifics are under gag order, but that's the gist of it.
>>
>>48091605
I believe Maro is shackled. I really want to. I opened Urza block packs, and my fondest years in the game were during Apocalypse. He's got magic in him. But when he started talking about slow-rolling cardnames and mechanics to "keep the design space open" and not printing certain mechanics, though super fun, because they were unintuitive... I knew they had locked up his inner child to keep it in the closet for slow quarters or a player base crash. We gotta set him free. Gotta set the game free. Go back to when the art and creative direction came up with new fusions of fiction and mythos, with bold and ambitious projects like decade-spanning storylines with complex characters. I'm tired of having to be apologetic for my favorite game because of pricy cardboard or angsty "writing".

Help me, /tg/. Please.
>>
>>48096434
There was a provision in the reserve list that allowed them to print special foil versions of the cards, but that was taken out after people got pissed that Mox Diamond and to a lesser extent, Karn, Silver Golem was reprinted in FtV Relics despite being on the reserve list.

They can still print cards that are on the reserve list as gold bordered non-legal cards and as oversized cards, but that's only been done for Sliver Queen and Karn, Silver Golem so far, at least as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>48097093
>"keep the design space open"
And then they go and print fucking investigate.
>>
File: 121.jpg (65 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
121.jpg
65 KB, 312x445
>>48097202
I'm convinced that Investigate was the trial run for Assemble, and that we're going to get Riggers in Poo in the Loo.

I don't care how impossible it is, I WANT TO HABEEB!
>>
>>48097202
What are you complaining about?

>>48097093
>not printing certain mechanics, though super fun, because they were unintuitive... I knew they had locked up his inner child to keep it in the closet
Why do you people act like complex and unintuitive things are better? Almost every time someone says this, or begs for Mana Burn or damage on the stack back, I always assume they either didn't actually understand those mechanics in the first place but think they did, or they want them back so that they can confuse people who don't understand them.
>>
>>48097801
Investigate is a mechanically simple keyword whose potential is destroyed by the overly specific terms. It's almost as bad as ninjutsu and bushido.
>>
>>48097846
I don't know if I agree. Investigate can be used on any plane ever, so long as there's a mystery. Ninjutsu and Bushido can only be used on a plane if there's ninja and samurai.
>>
>>48097093
>Help me, /tg/. Please.
You cannot be helped. You have to be so far gone down the rabbit hole to think that having decades-spanning storylines wouldn't bore the shit out of the core audience. You have to be out of your mind to think yourself capable of designing a better balanced set than RnD. Do you regularly create cubes full of custom cards, and have teams to playtest them in the various formats?
>>48097846
Investigate does not have very much design space, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Chroma had almost no design space, but they wouldn't have developed it into Devotion if they gave up on every mechanic that didn't work. Not every new mechanic needs to be so open as to get evergreened.
>>
>>48091605
I think he's the hero Design deserves even if I would knife-fight him over his ideas on flavour and story delivery. Two things I doubt he has as much influence as /tg/ often assumes.
>>
>>48098069
I think that for the most part Wizards is doing perfectly fine. But the one who makes all the story decisions /tg/ hates (like Jacetice League) is probably Doug Bayer.
>>
>>48097165
I wonder if wizards found a reason to legalize gold-bordered cards, print a fuckton of the reserved list in gold, and then say, "Oops! We have no choice but to make all these gold borders legal now!"
>>
>>48098226
The entirety of Beta was printed in Gold Borders, but that shit's less numerous than the original printing.
>>
>>48098112
Don't forget Development, who handle power level stuff but can't find their ass with a detailed anatomy chart
>>
If WotC wanted to, they could weasel their way around the RL. Look at Reverberate, Twincast, Plague Sliver and the new Donate.

To WotC, some of those RL cards are like a gold coin collection you inherited from your grandpa. If you are smart, you'll sell them only when you absolutely need to.
>>
>>48098256
Collector's edition? They are very cheap compared to beta. I've bought them in the past just to have black bordered versions of revised/unlimited cards I own.
>>
>>48099038
The price (on the power nine and dual lands) would go up an insane amount if they were considered legal.
>>
>>48099113
This is true. There's zero percent chance that would ever happen though, starting with the simple reason that they aren't Magic cards. They are cut differently (sharp corners) and have different backs. Only usable in sleeves.
>>
>>48099143
Most people with souls sleeve their cards, though.
>>
>>48099159
I'm with you. I'm just saying that's reason enough for them to never consider the idea.
>>
>>48099185
They allow Alpha only if sleeved, wouldn't be that much of a change. Not to mention all of the gold bordered tournament reproduction decks.

Honestly, if Wizards ever wanted to just go full "fuck the secondary market" they'd bring back the tournament reproduction decks, and then allow them to be played with sleeves in sanctioned events.
>>
>>48098949
They got in shit for Reverberate IIRC - it wasn't different enough from Fork, and is part of the Shit Gotten Into with the FTV/Duel Decks foils like Karn and Negator that they'd done, and which they stopped doing soon after.
Twincast and Harmless Offering are different colored, so are definitely different enough for the reserved list to not apply, while Plague Sliver gets worse in multiples and is teeeechnically a hoser card as well so manages to slip by.
>>
>>48098721
>(spoilers: the WotC office cannot playtest a game as well as thousands of magic players)
I know you think you can do better, but let's be honest you're full of fucking shit and Development does a phenomenal job all things considered. If you think Development team does a bad job, maybe you should try playing one of the other card games. I'll tell you a secret, though: they all tend to suck.
>>
>>48099505
So, pretty simple. Make duals that hit you for 1 life ETB if there you control another copy - strictly worse in multiples - and moxes taht are also the color of the mana they produce - different color than the original, so technically okay.
>>
>>48099978
Well yeah, other card games don't even HAVE separate development teams.
I was more talking about how they seem incredibly scared of everything and are afraid to take any risks...and thus any mistakes they make run wildly out of control instead
>>
>>48099978
Hiya, Mark. How's your weekend going?
>>
>>48099505
People didn't give much of a shit about Negator or Karn because they were worth less than $10 so it wasn't tanking the price that much anyway, it was Mox Diamond that people went nuts about, because it was actually a valuable card at the time.

>>48100057
The problem with the duals and moxen is that then players would get an entire extra playset to fuck around with, which would fuck up legacy/vintage. And the decks with the new duals still wouldn't be optimal, because the old ones were strictly better.
>>
>>48100084
I'm sorry that you're too stupid to understand how the world works and think that you'd TOTALLY be the best card game designer ever (and you wouldn't even NEED a team!) but that doesn't mean shit.

>>48100073
Can you give me examples? I don't really play the pro formats. I know people bitch about certain decks, but most of the time it seems like the metagame clock is still at work. It also gets substantially harder for them to test formats.

I mean, I'm assuming you're talking about things like Eldrazi decks and Siege Rhino? I mean, as far as I'm aware these kind of "one best deck" problems are things they're trying to stop, they just don't have the necessary manpower (which is essentially "all of it") to even know about certain problems.
>>
>>48100187
>they just don't have the necessary manpower to simply not print cheap and powerful Eldrazi when they know that Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple exist
You're the worst shill ever.
>>
>>48100100
Ban the old versions, play the new cards. If the objective is to circumvent the RL, you are going to have to lose something in the process. A slight loss of power is not a huge deal if it infuses some life back into eternal formats, I think.
>>
>>48100426
You have no idea how many players would quit the game if they banned cards from vintage.

Fuck, I don't even play vintage and I'd quit on principle alone.
>>
>>48100100
Almost no decks in eternal formats max out on ABU duals
>>
>>48100471
Yeah, but if the moxen/lotus worked the way he's suggesting you can bet that most decks would definitely use both playsets.
>>
>>48100447
Considering that vintage players are a drop in the ocean of magic players and that making the format accesible would bring new players in, quitting seems an empty threat.

And rage quitting the game beacuse a format you dont even play got some cards banned seems insane. Its like setting your Focus on fire because Ford stopped making the Prius.
>>
>>48100560
The whole point of vintage is to be able to play Lotus/Moxen. Otherwise, its just Legacy.
>>
>>48100491
Again. Ban the old, play the new.
>>
>>48100592
Might as well just play Yugioh at that point.
>>
>>48100491
Nah, the new for example Lotus would have the text 'White Lotus is all colors. A deck can't contain both White Lotus and Black Lotus.' or some shit
>>
>>48100584
I see the sense in that. But wouldnt it be better to play Vintage with a whole bunch of people, and not just a few?
>>
>>48100344
They don't have the necessary manpower to know how format dominating something will be, no. The Future Future League can only do so much, and most of those players aren't amazing at the game. Again, /tg/ thinks they could do great even without a team, but /tg/ is fucking stupid.

People who try to give you a dose of reality aren't "shills".

>>48100447
You're full of shit. No one who doesn't care about Vintage would quit.

>>48100426
>>48100560
>>48100592
>>48100648
The fact of the matter is that they *can't* circumvent the RL. Banning the cards would still likely have those ancient collectors' lawyers on their asses, too.

>>48100614
Don't be fucking stupid. That doesn't even make sense.
>>
>>48100652
That's why MtGO and the free versions exist.
>>
>>48100652
No. Just play Legacy.
>>
>>48100668
Legacy is stupid expensive too, because of Dual Lands.
>>
>>48100655
They have circumvemted it already. Fuck, they did so this very week! They have already set the precedent that changing a card's color is enough.
>>
>>48100705
You also can't donate something to yourself, though.
>>
>>48100668
Wow. Dude, you have some pretty fucked up childhood issues. You are the kid who would rather play alone than share his toys.
>>
>>48100705
Colourshifting something isn't the type of circumventing we're talking about here.

>>48100717
You also can't Donate to a team partner.
>>
>>48100735
yes
>>
>>48100735
Vintage without power nine is literally Legacy.
>>
>>48100560
Vintage is already accessable, since all the super expensive cards can just be proxied (legally, even). Banning the most powerful cards won't do anything.
>>
>>48100759
Not quite. There are other things that are banned from legacy, you know.
>>
>>48100696
If you're more upset about Legacy, why are you only whining about Vintage?

>>48100735
I'm not playing Vintage/Legacy.
Hell, I've been lurking Pauper General all day.
>>
>>48100787
>If you're more upset about Legacy, why are you only whining about Vintage?
Because Vintage is the one that he was talking about.
>>
>>48100750
That is exactly what we are talking about. Two of the first examples were twincast and the new donate, and apparently, those are okay.
>>
>>48100655
>They don't have the necessary manpower to know how format dominating something will be, no
>being this fucking dense
No one needs more than a second of thinking to see that printing something like this is a bad idea.
>>
>>48100832
They did not care about Eye of Ugin.
>>
>>48100875
No shit, faggot. For a second I thought they actually knew that card was real.
>>
>>48100888
No, you missunderstand what I'm saying. They knew the interaction was stupid. They just didn't care because it wasn't in standard.

They balance for standard. If shit's broken elsewhere, they ban it.
>>
>>48100750
So, Harmless Offering is an okay version of Donate, because of targeting issues. So, I guess this would be okay then

Selfish Recall
Instant U
Draw 3 cards.
>>
>>48100907
Elsewhere meaning Modern.
>>
>>48098005
>Investigate does not have very much design space
Does cycling have design space? Do cantrips have design space? You have to take into account how lightweight a mechanic is when asking how much design space there is.
>>
>>48100933
Except they'd never print that because it's fucking stupid.
>>
>>48100947
Unless I wanted to print cards to replace the insanely expensive ones from eternal formats, allowing access to new players. If I ban Ancestral Recall, but I let people play with Selfless Recall, that could do the trick. Of course, Selfless would only be legal wherever Ancestral was.
>>
>>48100933
Nono, Harmless Offering is okay because it's colorshifted, and thus a different card that requires completely different mana. The targetting restrictions are just modern design conventions
What you want is
Naturetwister 2G
Sorcery
Each player shuffles his or her hand and graveyard into his or her library, then draws seven cards

or

Prison Time 1W
Sorcery
Target player skips his or her next turn.
>>
>>48101037
Again, that's fucking stupid.
>>
>>48101049
Go play with yourself, bubble boy.
>>
>>48100782
They can be proxied because there's no officially sanctioned Vintage tournaments.

>>48100824
Except that's not the problem. They're allowed to do those. That doesn't work for everything, though. If you want a 2/2 flying first strike creature for 1WW, you can't "just colourshift it".

>>48100832
And? Oh no, how horrifying. What's your point? Because >>48100907
Is that one even format dominating? I mean, I can see how a 0 drop creature on turn 1 is pretty good, but Goblin Guide was already a thing they did on purpose. What's the typical play with an Eldrazi Mimic?

>>48101046
>>48100933
Selfish Recall isn't viable (and wouldn't be something they'd even WANT in any format). Naturetwister actually seems in-colour as a mythic, though it would probably need to be a higher mana cost. I'm thinking something like Praetor's Council and similar effects in Green. Prison Time is only a functional reprint in two player games.

>>48101037
>>48101049
You seem to think that the reason they wish they could get rid of the Reserve List is to make Vintage popular. It isn't.
And, again, creating functional reprints and then banning the originals would likely still be something they are legally prevented from doing. Again, the whole reason for Legacy was to get around the fact that they can't ban anything in Vintage.
>>
>>48100944
Uh huh..Read the rest of my post. Hell read the rest of that sentence.
>>
>>48101120
Drop multiple Eldrazi Mimics and then have them become something bigger when they swing because you dropped a 4drop turn 2 via an Eldrazi Temple
>>
>>48101120
>Is that one even format dominating?
Why the fuck are you talking about a game you clearly don't even play?
>>
>>48101120
>there's no officially sanctioned Vintage tournaments
Then why the fuck are we talking about official banings for official tournaments that don't even exist?
>>
>>48101120
Look, I get where you're coming from. I also lie out my ass and pretend I know what I'm talking about when Eternal formats are the topic of conversation.

That being said, I make sure to at least do a cursory google search about the format and the particular topic before I open my mouth and make a fool of myself.

I strongly recommend you do this also, next time you open your mouth and say shit you know nothing about.
>>
>>48101120
>They're allowed to do those. That doesn't work for everything, though. If you want a 2/2 flying first strike creature for 1WW, you can't "just colourshift it".

Allowed by whom, exactly? Who decides what kind of cards WotC can reprint and how? The RL was a voluntary thing, and although that sort of thing has some legal consequences, it is not clear that a judge would rule in favor of the collectors. I'm willing to bet, that if a company like Hasbro flexed its muscles, they could get around the RL.

Colorshifting worked with Twincast. If they are so fucking worried about being sued if they try to circumvent the RL by, for example, colorshifting, Twincast would set a precedent.
>>
>>48100933
Selfish Recall
Sorcery B
Draw 3 cards. You lose half your life, rounded up, then take 3 damage.
>>
>>48101185
>There is only one format of Magic

>>48101249
Oh, shit, that's right, they did start doing Sanctioned Vintage. You can't proxy in them, though, which is what the other anon said. Unless you mean me not knowing about Modern, in which case I just don't care about Modern, so...
Wizards also cares less about Modern. They care primarily about Standard, try to keep Modern in mind, and playtest most for Limited. I'm sorry that you don't understand that.

>>48101176
That's format defining? Can't be too format defining, considering the price. Seems like it's less a problem on it's own and more something that goes with other goodstuff.

>>48101491
I feel like you're missing the point here. COLOURSHIFTING ONLY WORKS FOR CERTAIN THINGS.
Also, yes, as far as we the general nose picking masses are aware, there is legal power behind the Reserve List, or at least enough repercussion involved that Magic doesn't want to break that promise.
>>
>>48101514
>what is Children of Korlis
>>
>>48101491
The point there is that what they WANT is the 1WW 2/2 flying/first strike, for limited purposes.
But they cannot make it, at all, because of Thunder Spirit, and have accidentally designed that exact card numerous times before going 'shit, can't do that, reserved list' and having to do something else. Colorshifting is beside the point when you're trying to make a card for limited in white.
>>
>>48101514
That is not even close to being a viable replacement for Ancestral Recall. The objective is to be as close as possible without being exactly the same.
>>
>>48101514
Reckless Recall
Instant R
Draw 3 cards, then discard 3 cards at random.
>>
>>48101562
That's your objective and no one else's.
>>
>>48101573
Worse Burning Inquiry
>>
>>48101543
>I feel like you're missing the point here. COLOURSHIFTING ONLY WORKS FOR CERTAIN THINGS

From the Official Reprint Policy. "A card is considered functionally identical to another card if it has the same card type, subtypes, abilities, mana cost, power, and toughness"

Color shifting works EVERY SINGLE, FUCKING TIME.
>>
Since he gets so buttblasted about people calling neo walkers neo walkers or the jactice league for what it is, here's something from another thread where an anon summed up EM and his precious gatewatch to a T:

>Imagine if you will... that you're watching The Creature From the Black lagoon, then out of nowhere Superman, Wonder Woman, The Green Lantern, and the Flash show up and tie the gillman up and haul him to Arkham and the credits roll seconds later.
>The jactice league showing up is exactly that. It's setting breaking, feels forced, random, and ruins the whole damn story.
>>
>>48101543
Well, the key piece of the deck got banned pretty damn quick, and everyone knew it was going to happen. The deck can't do that shit anymore, but was rampaging over modern while it was legal - and in multiple variations, because why not.
>>
>>48101581
If the objective is to make Vintage and Legacy accessible to new players by replacing old staples without breaking the RL, then, yes, that should be the objective.
>>
>>48101573
Recalling Elf (G)
Creature - Elf
Vanishing 3
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card.
1/1
>>
>>48101611
Okay.
Limited wants a flying first striking 2/2 at 1WW, in white. How does colorshifting help there?
Because, again, the point for that card is not the body with the abilities, but having it in white for limited because fucking nobody is going to care about it elsewhere
>>
>>48101708
>"A card is considered functionally identical to another card if it has the same card type, subtypes, abilities, mana cost, power, and toughness"

"A card is considered functionally identical to another card if it has the same card type, SUBTYPE, abilities, mana cost, power, and toughness"

Thunder Chicken
1WW
Creature - Chicken
Flying, First Strike
2/2
>>
>>48101708
Good in limited is the new good in edh
both are formats with no lasting impact as one is casual and the other cycles out after half a year or so anyway
>>
File: carl.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
carl.jpg
91 KB, 1280x720
>>48101671
That's no ones objective.
None of this matters.
We're just here to talk about things we feel vaguely informed about.
>>
>>48101765
And yet they've stated that just changing creature types or adding supertypes isn't enough to get around the list - which is why snow duals aren't something they'll make. Or ThunderChicken. Because if they COULD make ThunderChicken, they would have, a dozen times over by now. They keep doing it by ACCIDENT, but have to take it out because of Thunder Spirit.
>>
>>48101676
that is actually fair. Not even Modern playable, but fair.
>>
File: Happy magic customer.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Happy magic customer.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
Hey guys! Aren't you exited for the Gatewatch to save the day again? Boy am i! I'm so glad we get to see Jace and his friends again, printed with new Planeswalker cards! What a good time to be Magic the Gathering players!
>>
File: neat.gif (270 KB, 452x332) Image search: [Google]
neat.gif
270 KB, 452x332
>>48101676
That should probably draw cards when you remove counters instead.
Even if you that the effort to counter the sacrifice, it's pretty fragile; but still.
>>
>>48101825
>They have stated that changing subtypes isn't enough.
>In their Official Reprint Policy, they state that changing subtype is enough.

This just in... WotC are fucking liars when it comes to reprints. GASP
>>
>>48101852
Laughed heartily
>>
File: IMG_0288-500x330.jpg (53 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0288-500x330.jpg
53 KB, 500x330
The real winner is eventually going to be the Eternal Chinaman
>>
>>48101611
You're missing the point so hard that it is giving me heartburn.
>>48101765
You're right, they just constantly say "fuck, legal won't let us do that" for literally no reason at all.

>>48101767
I'm pretty sure Limited is the format that gets them the most money. Rotating formats are how they get money. Otherwise the company would make one block and then go out of business.

>>48101613
Except that person is an idiot, and wrong. The setting is entirely built around planeswalkers, and has been since they first stepped off of Dominaria. People calling it the "Jacetice League" is also childish bullshit on par with terms like "Plebbit" and adding "cuck" to a word. It's not even Jace's fucking superhero group, it's the Gideonwatch, whiny manchildren just think Jace is the most pushed character since Roman Reigns.

>>48101628
I feel like the Mimic was not the key piece of that puzzle...
What was banned? Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple are both legal.
Wait, nevermind, Magiccards.info just isn't updated.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/banned-and-restricted-announcement-2016-04-04
>>
>>48101889
How about this: Shut the fuck up, they aren't going to do it.
>>
>>48101889
Again, they apparently got in trouble for Reverberate because
>Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
wasn't different enough from
>Copy target instant or sorcery spell, except that the copy is red. You may choose new targets for the copy.
ThunderChicken is not going to fly. Sky Spirit is probably as close as they can get.
>>
>>48102010
>they apparently got in trouble
from whom
>>
>>48101957
>>48101980

What does Rosewater's cock taste like?
>>
>>48102021
Who nose?
>>
>>48091605
He's a lot less responsible for the state of the game than you think

His job is literally to throw as many ideas at the wall as possible to find what sticks.
>>
>>48102010
The point is that they insist they are bound by their Official Reprint Policy, and said policy says that both Reverberate and Thunder Chicken should be fine. Why not just tell the truth?
>>
>>48102110
Because Legal won't let them. And it seems the 'functionally identical' rule is stricter internally
>>
>>48102152
Which seem to indicate that keeping the RL because of the "promise" they made in 1996 is not the whole story. There are also internal considerations. And yet they keep hinting they would not be too opposed to get rid of the RL. It's just bullshit.
>>
>>48102021
>>48102110
>>48102267
I'll be honest, I don't know, someone said it up thread. Either way, they can't get away with doing that, and they've repeatedly lamented as much. They don't like the Reserve List, but whether due to scout's honour or legal ramifications (which it honestly does seem like there's legal ramifications they're worried about, especially with all the "we can't say what we can't say" bullshit) they can't print a functional reprint.
>Why not just tell the truth?
Because in all likelihood they legally can't. And also you're really just being a pedantic shit, so it's not so much they're lying as it is you feel they are. "Let's just change this one thing" doesn't count.

>>48102033
>Explaining to you how the world works means I must suck dick
You fuckers act like MaRo is in charge of literally everything and also personally hates you. Are you really this fucking stupid or do you just like pretending to be?
>>
>>48097800
>I'm convinced that Investigate was the trial run for Assemble
Doubt it. Notice how Steamflogger says that the Rigger assembles the Contraption, that's completely different from Investigate and not at all how anything in the game works.
>>
>>48102267
They've been completely adamant about being unable to get rid of the Reserved List.
Several people have stated that personally they wish they could.
These are not contradictory statements at all, you know.
>>
>>48102294
I don't think you understand what pedantic means. If WotC said " we keep the RL because it is part of our business model", they would be telling the truth. They don't need to disclose any internal info veyond that. Instead, they insist they want to make most of their customet base happy and reprint RL stuff, but they can't. It's an important difference.
>>
>>48102294
You should dial back a solid 3 notches, your ad hominems and profanities are seriously deflating your arguments and making you sound like your extremely salty. Theres no need to be upset.

Just a bit of advice.
>>
>>48102339
He means that "creating an artifact token with an activated ability" was a trial run for Assembling Contraptions.

>>48102488
Having to explain these things over and over is frustrating. /tg/'s lack of understanding gets to me sometimes.

>>48102413
Have you ever seen when they talk about the Reserved List? They literally say they can't talk about it:
>Q: When will you get rid of the Reserved List?
>A: Never. Also, it’s a topic I’m not supposed to discuss suffice to say it is a promise we made long ago that we plan to keep.
>>
>>48096654
And whether it's applicable is a matter of serious debate. You've described what the thing is, but not the conditions that trigger it, which include factors such as plausibility, an implied contract, and so on. WotC's legal team would be much better funded than the legion of angry neckbeards'. They don't do it because it'd be bad for business, not because there'd be legal repercussions. If the secondary market ever collapses badly enough that people stop bothering to open new packs in the hope of winning the cardboard crack lotto, expect to see the Reserved List go away as they try to drum up excitement for a few sets more.
>>
>>48102543
>Having to explain these things over and over is frustrating. /tg/'s lack of understanding gets to me sometimes.
Thats why I dont post in these threads anymore.
>>
>>48102561
I generally avoid them, because /tg/ is bad at magic to the point of inducing an aneurysm. But I get so hype during spoiler season that I can't help it.

>>48102550
It's pretty clear that there's legal backing. Again, they literally (read: legally) cannot talk about what they can't talk about.
>>
>>48091758
Could be fun with ENTER THE INFINITE.
>>
>>48102339
You're not wrong on this specific point, but there is a way it works: make Assemble a keyworded activated ability that targets something with the Contraption subtype. The best I could come up with for that was to have it be "Cheat an artifact into play from your hand, but then you have to really pay for it or sacrifice it soon", and Contraptions were just a subtype of Artifact with abilities that trigger on leaving the battlefield. Then there was still some only-in-the-CR bullshit to let Steamflogger work properly because his ability could make Assembling fizzle if you didn't have enough Contraptions in hand, and because you need extra definitions in order to create a situation where a creature's Assemble ability could ever be about to target a Contraption (since you'd have to call it a Contraption card on Steamflogger otherwise). It was shit, but it's the best I think is possible.
>>
>>48102618
>Again, they literally (read: legally) cannot talk about what they can't talk about.
Why? That's certainly not the case if promissory estoppel is involved. WotC's only promises in that regard were presumably public, and if they weren't AND you manage to convince the judge that cards were a legitimate investment strategy then WotC is already fucked because it's equivalent to insider trading. But please, elaborate on why there's a gag order or something in place here.
>>
>>48102690
>Why?
>>Again, they literally (read: legally) cannot talk about what they can't talk about.
How the fuck would I know? All I know is that they've repeatedly said they can't talk about it.
>>
>>48102550
>WotC's legal team would be much better funded than the legion of angry neckbeards'.

How about the legal team of Star City Games? People have staked their entire business on the value of MtG cards, and some of them certainly have spent significant amounts on Reserved List cards.
>>
>>48098226
Gold bordered cards have different card backs. They can't legalize them.
>>
>>48100592
>Print "new" copies of exorbitantly expensive cards
>Ban the expensive cards

Yes, this will not piss of anyone who spent the money on those old cards.
>>
File: 1425769304027.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1425769304027.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
One of the main problems with the reserved list is that they were so fucking heavy handed with what they put on there back when it was created. A good number of those cards cost basically nothing, only a few dollars. But because they are on there, neither they nor functionally similar cards can be printed.

I propose a new reserved list, a super reserved list if you will. On it will be all of the cards that are actually worth something significant across all current printings. Make it an actually legal binding agreement, instead of this weird, pseudo legal decades old promise.

Then fucking bury the old reserved list 6 feet under. Maro will finally be able to get his 1WW Flying First Strike 2/2 (maybe), Legacy and Vintage will still be in the shitter, and the collectorfags (and businesses) can keep their hundred/thousand dollar pieces of cardboard close to their chest, feeling content knowing that they made a sound financial investment.
>>
>>48103236
>Make it an actually legal binding agreement, instead of this weird, pseudo legal decades old promise.
I don't know why none of you seem to understand that IN ALL LIKELIHOOD IT VERY MUCH IS A LEGALLY BINDING AGREEMENT THAT THEY CANNOT BREAK.
>>
>>48103275
Who would that legally binding agreement be made to? Who were the signers? A generic mass of collectors?
>>
>>48103315
>A generic mass of collectors?

Yes.

If they were to break the Reserve List, anyone who can prove their assets lost a significant amount of value as a result could potentially act on it. It's prime material for a class action.
>>
>>48103385
Then it would depend on what significant actually means in this context. If they begin reprinting cards that are valued at 1 to 5 dollars, while making an even stronger agreement to never touch the shit like duals or power 9, then there can not be a significant loss of value, unless significant means "any".
>>
>>48102943
Collector's edition cards have black borders. Gold bordered cards (which also have gold backs) are from the Championship decks.
>>
>>48103385
>>48103315
Not only that, but as someone else said, Starcity Games.

>>48103423
Stop
Fucking
Quibbling

It doesn't matter. It literally does not at all matter. It is incredibly unlikely to happen. They can't even tweak the Reserve list so that things that they DO feel like reprinting--like a 1WW Flying First Strike 2/2--can't come off of it. None of us are privy to the specifics and we're just going to have to deal with that fact, so talking about it is even more pointless than talking about anything else we don't know shit about.
>>
>>48103423
The fact it's not defined is a big part of what keeps them from breaking it. For all that MaRo wants a 1WW 2/2 with flying and first strike, the legal team isn't going to give a shit. The risks do not outweigh any reward the legal team is going to care about.
>>
>>48103451
Starcity games have openly stated in the past that they are against the reserved list
>>
File: 1997WC01_original[1].jpg (162 KB, 800x345) Image search: [Google]
1997WC01_original[1].jpg
162 KB, 800x345
>>48103444
No, they have black borders on the front, square corners and gold backs. Notice how it says Collector's Edition on the back?

The Championship Edition ones have gold borders on the face and completely different backs.
>>
>>48103467
Being against the reserve list doesn't mean you don't acknowledge that it exists and allow it to influence your decision. Being against it won't save them from losing buckets of money if WotC breaches it, and certainly won't stop them from seeking legal redress.

They might be all for WotC decided to repeal it, but they're going to expect to be compensated regardless.
>>
>>48103451
Talking about the reserved list in general is useless outside of anything relating to paper legacy or vintage, which become a smaller and smaller part of the overall magic scene with each passing day.

That doesn't stop everyone and their Grandma from talking about it.

That said, we did just get red donate, which is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>48103552
It's also relevant in consideration to EDH and Cube. There are more than enough people who've picked up Duals in their Commander's color identity or Power for a cube.
>>
>>48103528
I don't disagree with you.

That being said, consider the following. I just picked a card of the reserved list at random, Sheltered Valley. I can purchase that card in near mint paper right now for ~30 cents. If Wizards removed that card from the reserved list and began reprinting it, Star City Games, or any other seller, would lose an extremely small amount of money, if any at all.

The reason they would take legal action, the reason Wizards won't do that, is because it sets up a precedent that other cards, perhaps more monetarily significant cards, may be moved from the reserved list as well.
>>
>>48103626
You're right, but I tend to not consider those because those formats aren't affected much by proxies.

I made a cube and wanted to have duals, there is a near 100% chance I'm using proxies.
>>
>>48103528
The reason scg gave for being against the reserved list is while the would lose money in the short term, the increased interest in legacy would more than make up for it
>>
I'm not sure how reprinting duals would even affect the price of betas, given that plentiful revised editions already exist, and all.
>>
>>48103654
There are actual Duel Commander tournaments, at the least. That doesn't matter as far as Power, and any other card on the Reserve List that is banned in in it, but it does discount proxies as an option.
>>
>>48103467
Huh, have they?

>>48103654
People want to pimp their decks, and are willing to pay for it. Otherwise foils wouldn't cost more.

>>48103552
Colourshifted things aren't really a big deal. Donate fits better in Red anyway.
It's also not really the players that are effected or the problem. It's the collectors.

>>48103699
Not nearly "plentiful" enough. There are likely more of a random Mythic from Gatewatch than there are any single Revised dual land.
>>
>>48103699
The price of alpha additions of a good number of the reserved list cards, and even the beta additions, will not change even if they are reprinted.

Look at Braingeyser:
I can get a lightly played Alpha edition off TCG player for ~360 dollars.

I can get a lightly played Beta edition for ~195 dollars.

I can get a NEAR MINT revised edition for 2 dollars.

No amount of reprinting that card is going to significantly hurt Alpha or Beta edition's price tag, because that price exists due to the collectibility of those particular sets.

This is the case for a lot of the reserved list cards, and some of them have only a single printing but are near worthless anyways.
>>
>>48103764
There aren't enough revised dual lands to meet demand, but there are a ton of them compared to beta dual lands.
>>
>>48103770
>This is the case for a lot of the reserved list cards, and some of them have only a single printing but are near worthless anyways.

Such as the entire Ice Age and Homelands sets.
>>
>>48103764
I know you probably just auto included this, but one thing I find a lot of players having trouble with understanding is that the people who will be most affected by a reserved list removal won't be private collectors or large distributors, but the smaller LGS that have thinner profit margins, where a dual land losing its value would be a large blow.
>>
>>48103808
Eh. I don't know if that's true. Either way, it's not like they're the ones keeping Wizards from changing it.
>>
>>48103654
I would never cube with proxies.
>>
>>48103824
We don't even know who is keeping Wizards from changing it. The guess I see a lot of people make is just the threat of a massive class action lawsuit, in which case the smaller LGS with a personal stake in it will join in.

Which brings me back to my original point: revise the reserved list, removing all of the couple dollar cards while reaffirming that the cards actually worth something will still not be reprinted.

That will never happen, but the point is there has to be ways around this that don't fuck over Wizards. They won't do them, because the benefits to printing and freeing up design space with regards to the couple dollar cards would never be worth the work they'd have to do.
>>
>>48103844
Why not? If you sleeve them who cares?
>>
>>48093893
>JtMS: even the community didn't understand how powerful that was for quite some time

You obviosly werent playing at the time. Jtms was not good until blightning rotated. Blightning ripped jace decks apart. You tap out for turn 4 jace, they cast blightning, you die. Jace only took off Once it rotated and jace got squadron hawk to abuse.
>>
>>48103887
Why not play an entire proxy deck if you're not in tournaments?

>>48103976
>That thing you said isn't true. Here's all the reasons why its true.
"Mind Sculptor decks weren't great until the removal rotated out and the combo piece rotated in" is more or less synonymous with "even the community didn't realize how powerful Mind Sculptor was"
>>
>>48103887
Because Cube is as much about playing with old and rare cards as anything else, and a large part of building a Cube is tracking all of those cards down. Cubing with proxies is practically not even Cubing at all.
>>
>>48104041
>Because MY Cube is as much about playing with old and rare cards as anything else,
FTFY. The rest was purer bullshit that couldn't be fixed.
>>
>>48101835

>implying it's not crazy busted in modern and legacy
>1 mana bob that doesn't lose you life
>only downside is it dies even if your opponent doesn't remove it (they will)

You're fuckin retarded m8
>>
>>48095125

Just make it redirect damage and its perfectly red
>>
>>48104041
The fuck? The point of cube is playing the part of set designer. If you chose to have your set have a lot of old and rare cards, that's all fine and dandy, but that is not the express purpose of cube.
>>
File: 1248148286770.jpg (45 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
1248148286770.jpg
45 KB, 576x432
All of you faggots talking shit about MaRo and Wizards clearly never have played a REAL shitty game or know who is Kevin Tewart.

You all talk of Maro like if he was Kevin Tewart.
If Kevin Tewart was in Wizards, you guys would turn crazy like Nahiri.
>>
>>48104000
Because a lot of those cards can probably be acquired for rather little money and less time than it would take to proxy.

That answer still doesn't explain why you would use 200 dollar cards when you could use a couple dollar proxies just fine.
>>
>>48104041

Cube is about creating your own limited environment fuckface
>>
>>48104041
>>48104108
>>48104140
>>48104155
>>48104180
I don't exactly agree with him, but yes, a large part of having a Cube is playing specifically with important cards. People who do cubes are the same kind of people who buy From the Vaults. Some people are fine proxying everything (some people who play kitchen table and never go to tournaments are okay putting stickers on lands and playing unsleeved). But a lot of people prefer to have the real thing.
I got to play in a cube the other night. It was fun being able to play with a lot of good 10 and 20+$ cards.

Again, it's the same reason foils cost more: Because visuals matter.
There's a concept called "aura". Seeing the Mona Lisa in person is said to be a very different experience than seeing a reproduction or a picture of it due to the "aura" of it being the real one of a kind original. There are plenty of people who want that feeling. Things like Cube or EDH have quite a bit of community around pimping it, whether that's with foils, first printings, or alters. For a lot of people, having a proxy just won't do. It's like using a cheap plastic sword in a movie.
>>
>>48104140
>>48104180
Jesus, what have they been teaching you kids? Cube was about playing with the rarest and most expensive cards in the games history for years before it started to become popular to think of it as a set designer exercise gee, thanks for that Maro.
>>
>>48104148
I had to google that nobody, but now I feel bad for you.
Sleep tight, pupper. Sleep tight.
>>
>>48103796

If they reprint duals as mythics in eternal masters, how much would a revised dual drop? Slightly, and then rebound? Its not like wotc would just spam out duals. They like money too.
>>
>>48104330
I have a extense copypasta of all the shit he has done over the years, I used it back when I still played Yugioh.
>>
>>48104000

No, its synonymous with 'jace isnt actually all that inheriently bonkers, but because people only remember that one perfect situation for him they think hes the most busted card ever'. Jace would be fine for unban in modern and would even be ok to reprint in standard in the right standard format with the right elements
>>
>>48104403
Please make a thread about that.
>>
>>48104000
>even the community didn't realize how powerful Mind Sculptor was
Not true at all. I don't think anyone looked at TMS and didn't think that he was crazy powerful, but in a format with Jund he simply wasn't good.
>>
>>48104503
Now? I mean I can but since there's not many people online at this hour and the yugioh general it's on /vg/ it would tank and die shortly though.
>>
>>48104403
>played Yugioh
kys
>>
>>48104550
I'll add the yugioh general to my Thread Watcher.
Just dump it any time tomorrow, I guess?

>>48104402
>They like money too.
Which is why the likely not risking lawsuits.
>>
>>48104318
Here's a money meme format if you want to play with enough cash to buy a house:

Rogue Trader:
All cards must be foils or on the reserve list.
Only lands on the reserve list or unglued full art lands may be used.
All cards must have gold boarders created by gilding the edge of every card.
You can have a fifth copy of any card if it is signed by a Word Championship winner.
Your life total is equal to the dollar value of the most expensive card in your deck.
Loser must tear their entire deck up.
Each deck must have at least two black lotuses.
Unhinged and unglued cards are legal if they're signed by any billionaire.
Your sideboard is every card you own.
The ante for each round is a Babe Ruth card signed by Babe Ruth with a Babe Ruth.
>>
>>48093276
People went nuclear over reverberate which is just fork with 1 less line of text
>>
>>48104619
[citation needed]?
>>
>>48104594
Okay, I do it tomorrow.
>>
>>48098005
>You have to be so far gone down the rabbit hole to think that having decades-spanning storylines wouldn't bore the shit out of the core audience.
Works for game of thrones. What, you think you would have the same setting for 10 years and no smaller arcs within the overarching plotline? When they already did this method before?
>>
>>48105408
>You have to be so far gone down the rabbit hole to think that having decades-spanning storylines wouldn't bore the shit out of the core audience.
What are comic books?
>>
>>48107338

A dying market?
>>
>>48108083
They do well for themselves.
I could also point to the numerous video game sequels. There are people who'll be playing God of War 4: Kratos Is A Viking For Some Reason that weren't even alive when God of War first came out.
>>
>>48102715
Do you have a source for the "we can't talk about it" statement?
>>
>>48111836
It's something they've said plenty of times. I even quoted Maro saying he can't talk about it earlier in the thread. I even still have Blogatog's FAQ page open from where I quoted it last night
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/faq
>When will you get rid of the Reserved List?

>Never. Also, IT'S A TOPIC I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO DISCUSS suffice to say it is a promise we made long ago that we plan to keep.
Emphasis mine.
>>
>>48111836
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/133277443788/hey-mark-i-see-in-the-faq-you-cant-talk-about

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/133305579313/are-you-allowed-to-talk-about-why-you-cant-talk

There's also the argument that getting rid of the Reserve List would mean they can no longer make believable promises in the future. If nothing else keeping the promise of the Reserve List shows that you can believe any other similar promises.
>>
/tg/ flips their shit at MaRo just because he is an easy target. /tg/ is terrible at Magic and card games in general. This includes design, criticizing design, and even understanding what design is.

I would also like to remind you guys that (almost) every single knowledgeable Magic player that has come here was driven away by scrubs that think their fee-fees are worth as much or more than somebody else's talent and knowledge. The fact that /tg/ doesn't have a hate parade on GA blows my fucking mind. Every other year when a pro tour player posts here to help you guys, the board flips out in a fit of autistic rage. It's no surprise that one of the top board game designers in the world gets so much shit here.

You guys made this board shittier than reddit in just four years. Be proud.
>>
>>48112783
>GA
Am I bad at magic for not knowing what this means?
Also, which pros ever showed up on 4chan?!
>>
>>48112783
Weak bait, here's your (You).
>>
>>48112830
>GA
The "ask a judge" guy.
It's a fucking enigma that he is still posting here. Every other talented player to post here was hated out pretty quickly.

>Also, which pros ever showed up on 4chan?!
No big names. I'm not interested in giving away dox, but I can give two aliases. Everybody else posted as anon.

AssholeAndSwanKiller
Kesit
>>
>>48113098
>AssholeAndSwanKiller
Gotta be Vegas Himself, Eric Froelich.
Man he is cool.
>>
>>48101852
Maro Posting is nowhere near as cathartic as Todd posting. Gr8 try tho.
>>
>>48104672
You should link it here, if this thread is still going.
>>
Lawfag here, just chiming in to point out that the anons in this thread talking about promissory estoppel are absolutely right. As some anons in this thread pointed out, a judge/jury might actually side with WotC on this issue at a trial, but that isn't the ultimate question on hand.

First, this wouldn't be a singular neckbeard bringing the suit -- it would be a full class action lawsuit with countless disenfranchised plaintiff-neckbeards all conjoined as one under the banner of a large enough firm to handle class action lawsuits.

Next, in all likelihood, it wouldn't be expensive for the neckbeard-plantiffs because the firm would probably take the class action suit pro-bono. Why? Because they'd see a valid promissory estoppel claim against a massive company, Hasbro, with very deep pockets.

Finally, the biggest fact in favor of the promissory estoppel claim is the fact that it would survive summary judgment. If a claim survives summary judgment then that means it's usually viable for some kind of settlement, and that's what the plantiff-firm would be looking for against Hasbro: a quick, large sum, settlement that cashes in for the neckbeards and themselves.

That, my friends, is why we'll never see the RL abolished.
>>
>>48112898
>Bait
Nothing he's aid is wrong, though. /tg/ is absolutely terrible at Magic. This board is made up of people who will absolutely argue constantly that Emrakul, the Aeon's Torn can't be hit by Oblivion Ring.
He's also right that Reddit's r/magicTCG is a lot better for actually discussing Magic than any of these threads. I wouldn't be surprised if their custom magic subreddit is better, but custom cards are usually too dumb for me to want to risk my sanity on that. But, you know, it's not really even some feat. Reddit being better than /tg/ at Magic is like an average adult being better at arm wrestling than a six year old. You don't have to be amazing, you don't have to be good. You're still going to be better.

/tg/ constantly bitches about things that aren't even Rosewater's fault, AND they constantly bitch at some of the better decisions Wizards has made. Boo fucking hoo, you don't like Jace? Too bad; more people like him than don't. He's not even as pushed as you think he is. This overarching metaplot where we follow the same characters is more interesting than not having one. When there *wasn't* one, people weren't engaged in the game. Fa/tg/uys literally want Magic to lose money so that it's more like their nostalgia. They want a game with no mana so that they never draw bad hands, and all the filtering possible so they can set up their perfect hands. They want a game that has no balance because they think they can do better.

>>48114185
Whether or not you're a lawyer, there's also the fact that they don't want to harm their reputation by going back on such a promise, even if they could just get out of it by throwing cash at the problem.
And everyone knows all of Magic's cash is too wrapped up in keeping the rest of Hasbro afloat.
>>
>>48114251
>Whether or not you're a lawyer, there's also the fact that they don't want to harm their reputation by going back on such a promise, even if they could just get out of it by throwing cash at the problem.
That's a secondary issue, for sure. Their reputation wouldn't be hindered by abolishing the reserved list at all. More people would be happy to see it go than there would be people upset by it.
>>
File: tumblr_o95ecfUFok1uhfizao1_1280.jpg (576 KB, 1080x1350) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o95ecfUFok1uhfizao1_1280.jpg
576 KB, 1080x1350
>>48114185
>countless disenfranchised plaintiff-neckbeards all conjoined
>>
>>48114405
That's a... shockingly appropriate picture.
>>
>>48114362
>We made this massive promise
>But we're not going to keep it
>Surely our reputation won't suffer
>>
>>48114498
Sure, it'll suffer insofar that there will be a net loss of a few hundred (maybe thousand) collector-neckbeards who are pissed off, and countless thousands of neckbeards who are overjoyed.

I'm sorry that you don't understand the fact that way more people will like it than dislike it. That's called a "net gain."
>>
>>48114546
No, it means in the future, nothing they say can be treated as a real promise
>>
>>48114596
we don't treat anything they say now as a promise anyway
>>
This guy gets it: >>48114611

This guy is a bigger dumbass than MaRo: >>48114611
>>
>>48114651
w-what?
>>
>>48114611
>>48114651
You also aren't who matters.
>>
>>48114664
WotC are selling a product

they don't make any profit off of the secondary market, or speculation

the people who want to buy from WotC ARE the only people who matter to them
>>
>>48114664
Wow, your comebacks suck as bad as your opinion(s). Great job.
>>
File: Tj9THi1.jpg (295 KB, 2319x1468) Image search: [Google]
Tj9THi1.jpg
295 KB, 2319x1468
>http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Reserved_List
>In 2002's revision WoTC decided no cards from the Mercadian Masques set and later sets would be reserved. Commons and uncommons from Limited Edition were removed from the reserved list due to overwhelming public support for this change.

That means if (a big if) someone were to start a petition for taking of some sought after cards from the reserved list (like dual-lands or power nine cards) and got like millions of signature, then it would be possible to get them of the list.
>>
>>48114704
yo

could you clarify if I get it or I'm a dumbass?
in this post>>48114651
>>
>>48114686
>>48114704
No, I mean that individual customers are not the people they're worried about. I'm talking retailers. Things like that.

>>48114717
That is not going to happen. You think they don't already get millions of people asking that? It's not even the Power 9 that they want to take off the list.

>>48114736
He meant to quote me, obviously. He thinks you get it.
You don't, though.
>>
>>48114846
>He meant to quote me, obviously. He thinks you get it.
>You don't, though.

ok then why does wizards care about the secondary market at detriment to the actual sales? why the hell did they even make the promise to begin with?
>>
>>48114880
>No, I mean that individual customers are not the people they're worried about. I'm talking retailers. Things like that.
They're not worried about YOU losing faith in them, they're worried about STORES losing faith in them.
>>
>>48114906
are you seriously suggesting that the secondary market is what keeps stores afloat? and not moving the actual overpriced product

and that still doesn't fucking answer the question about why they made the promise in the first place, only why they might maintain it
>>
>>48114846
>No, I mean that individual customers are not the people they're worried about. I'm talking retailers. Things like that.
You mean the same retailers that would make a HUGE profit off of the new product with the former-RL cards in it that they'd be selling? Quit trying, kid. Stop while you're ahead.
>>
>>48114971
but muh WPN
>>
>>48114971
>>48114958
I feel like you're both missing the point.
If you break a promise, in the future people are less likely to believe your promises.
>>
>>48115068
nigger we don't trust WotC right fucking now, they can't lose any more trust

you are the only fucking one missing the point
>>
>>48114251
>They want a game with no mana so that they never draw bad hands, and all the filtering possible so they can set up their perfect hands. They want a game that has no balance
So they want to play yugioh?
>>
>>48115090
I wonder how magic would be if they did like FoW and split the land and the rest into two decks. Might be fine for a new format but a lot of card could become very dangerous.
>>
>>48115122
Land variance is an important part of magic because is affects the value of drawing cards and having cards that can break rate. As the game is now, you have a few options for avoiding mana-screw.

* Run low-cost cards
* Use card selection to hit your land drops reliably.
* run a higher land count and rely on individually more powerful cards.

A land deck would remove the incentive for any of these sacrifices. The current state of the game is designed around these restrictions. There is a reason why Magic starts you off with so many cards in hand at the start of the game and that proactive threats in Magic can be so versatile or resilient.

Land variance also has the added benefit of emphasizing value play over tempo play. When gaining resources every turn is a given, this means every deck can afford to play powerful cards at every point in their curve, or run a deck that is extremely low to the ground. Take hearthstone for example, spending all of your mana every turn is pretty much a given in that game. You (almost) never have to wait for resources, hold up a trick, or sacrifice mana to gain more resources, and this means that the value of an individual card pretty much 100% comes down to how much mana it costs you versus how much mana it costs your opponent.
>>
>>48115559
(continued)

Lands are a design flaw overall, but my point is that it's too late for magic to ever go back on it, and magic is better off the way it is. I never wanted to imply that lands are something that should be implemented in any new games moving forward.
>>
>>48115122
The game would not functionally exist in the form you see it now. So many things about Magic don't work if you assume lands and nonlands would be seperate decks. Please never suggest it again and optionally kill yourself
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.