[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Movies with plotlines that feel like horrible D&D campaigns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Willow_movie.jpg (82 KB, 285x425) Image search: [Google]
Willow_movie.jpg
82 KB, 285x425
Just saw pic related for the first time.

Pretty fun movie, but the whole thing feels like a completely failed D&D campaign.

What are some other movies that has that kind of feeling?
>>
>>48065459
How about the D&D movie?
>>
>>48065509
Which one? There are 3. Each more terrible then the last.
>>
>>48065459

Welcome to 1980s fantasy movies youngling.

Now go watch Conan, Red Sonja, Excalibur and Lady Hawke.
>>
>>48065557
I've seen Conan already. That one never felt like a game of D&D to me.
>>
>>48065526
They actually get progressively better with each installment.

Still all dogshit, but never as bad as the first.
>>
>>48065585

Well half the movie is back story but raiding the temple with Valeryia and Subotai is straight D&D.
>>
>>48065526
There are *3*? I only know the first.
>>
>>48065459
Beastmaster 2 is the ultimate This DM turning into That GM. Complete with killing the animal companion from the first half of the campaign between adventures.
>>
>>48065459

IIRC Willow was to be the first movie in a trilogy that never happened which was released as a novel called Shadowmoon.

General Kael is a cool villian. Destroy the beast! Find the baby!
>>
>>48065459
'Your Highness' might qualify. It's blatantly meant to be a D&D campaign played by 16 year old boys. I enjoyed it, though the sense of humour is not going to be everyone's cup[ of tea.
>>
>>48065688
I agree that some parts felt very D&D, but it felt more like something D&D tries to be. Willow felt like a couple dudes playing an actual campaign what with Val Kilmer being a that guy and having random magical effects making the characters do silly things to amuse that GM.
>>
>>48065459
Krull
Pirates of the Caribbean
>>
>>48065899

I like how the vast majority of the movie had made up dialog on the spot.

The director had a general idea of what was going to happen and key points to be mentioned during the dialog exchange but other than that the actors were given free range on what to say and it showed.
>>
File: Fast-Furious-7.jpg (442 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Fast-Furious-7.jpg
442 KB, 1280x1024
Not DnD, but if pic related is quite literally a Shadowrun campaign. Just imagine all the main characters are physical adepts specializing in driving with a shit ton of resources.
>>
>>48066162
Willow leveraging his wits is also actually pretty amusing and should be leveraged by more characters like him.

He's like the epitome of a trickster type Rogue/Thief with a use magic item ability and just plain lots of bluff going on.

He sucks even more eggs in a fight than the Hobbits do in Lord of the Rings, so he needs every advantage he can get, really.
>>
>>48065459

The shittiest RPG campaign movie I have ever seen wasn't D&D related.

It was Shadowrun.
and the movie was Super Mario Bros.
>>
>>48065459
Not DND but a bad campaign - Escape from New York. The DM sets up a somewhat interesting setting and the guy playing Snake just ignores as many hooks and NPCs as possible on the way to finish his quest, and half heartedly makes a moral decision at the end.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.