[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best brand to order a custom-made larp weapon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
What's the best brand to order a custom-made larp weapon?
>>
>>48047120
Calimacil
>>
>>48047120
Home Depot.

>Larping with steel
I shiggitydiggaroo.
>>
>>48047370
Second.
>>
>>48047370
Neat. I've never really looked into LARP weapons before. How sturdy are they? How long can you expect one to last?
>>
>>48047120
Why don't you take you actual martial arts instead of playing with foam toys
>>
>>48050146
My biggest concern always was whether or not I would feel comfortable using a foam weapon without worrying about it breaking, and that's largely why I ended up buying Calimacil after hearing about how durable they were.

They're sold with a one-year warranty, but the general ideas is that they're practically never expected to break under ordinary use (ie. fighting against other foam weapons). They're not latex, so they don't need to be conditioned, and the foam is flexible and sturdy enough that the real big concern is whether or not the fiberglass core will break, which is far less likely than a PVC core.

They're tough.
I've got two swords (and my friends each have one), and even after a couple hundred fights, the only blemishes they've taken are a few shallow scratches in the paint (which, while not pristine, doesn't really take away that much from their appearance).

As far as negatives go, they're expensive, and the weapons under $100 are better than most larp weapons, but they're very much on the heavy side. Above that in the price range, they're better balanced but still heavy, which may be seen as a benefit by some people who dislike "flick-fighting". In general, I like their weight, especially because they can easily knock aside lighter swords and intercept them as well. It genuinely feels good to block with them, because they're sturdy and heavy enough to take strong blows without being knocked about or bending.

They're good swords, and out of all the foam weapons I've used, they're easily my favorite. I sometimes even just go to a LARP specifically just to swing one of these swords around.
>>
>>48047370
>>48047798
Thirding Calimacil. Their stuff is dense, durable, and looks good. If their stuff looks too pricey, poke around in their bazaar or sale section - I managed to pick up one of their $46 wrenches for around $20 because they were transitioning to a new version, and they were offloading the old ones cheap.
>>
File: 1467268041609.jpg (57 KB, 467x640) Image search: [Google]
1467268041609.jpg
57 KB, 467x640
>>48047120
>>
>>48050168
I do both you dingus
>>
Thing is that I already have an old version Bellator from Calimacil (black hilt and pommel).
I feel kinda guilty to buy another Calimacil weapon (and an expensive one at that, was thinking about a 2handed Magnus custom made) while this one is still pretty usable. But then again, it doesn't looks like the cool weaps of the web. Now a Bellator costs the same and comes painted, but I find pointless to pay the same for the same weapon just with some painting on it.
I guess I'll try to paint it with citadel paints and give it a coating of purity seal and see how it holds.
>>
>>48055814
it's not the same. Blade shape is better, has fullers on it and tip protection is upgraded
>>
>>48055879
yeah, plus the balance is pretty great
but magnus guard and pommel ar kickass, but im afraid the balance may not be that good
>>
>>48056456
my only problem with the bellators and generally 90% of larp weapons of that lenght is that they are too wobbly. Which is great from a safety viewpoint as it will take away most of the force when you hit another guy, but it makes binding nearly impossible and sometimes the swords just flex through a successful block.
I have one custom calimacil sword that has a hybrid core which doesn't flex at all, it handles waaaaay better and I really like it, better balance too, but it hits harder obviously.

So on one hand I'm comfortable to give a bellator to anyone and be perfectly sure that he won't kill himself or anyone else for real but the disadvantage is that the swordplay will look less real
>>
>>48057796
Well, my Bellator doesn't flex that much, at least that I notice. I can block and parry even 2handed hammers with it.
I'm lookin at mitryl as an alternative, but there aren't barely any reviews, and wobblyness is an issue for me too. I know that calimacils won't wobble as much as other brands, but I don't know about this one. Then again, the weapon costs half the price of a custom calimacil 2 handed
>>
File: custom-larp-fisch2.jpg (74 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
custom-larp-fisch2.jpg
74 KB, 1000x1000
https://www.freyhand.com/en/custom-works/
https://www.freyhand.com/en/gallery/

I recommend these guys. Their weapons have a good grip and balance in addition to looking kickass.

They also have throwing fish
>>
File: HMS.jpg (29 KB, 397x402) Image search: [Google]
HMS.jpg
29 KB, 397x402
>>48058580
Well these guys sound pretty reasonable, their custom orders are very well explained.

I destimated the option of ordering a custom Moonlight Holy Sword because the only companies I know that make custom orders are Forgotten Dreams and I don't like their weapons at all. I might order it from here tho.
>>
DragonArmoury.co.uk

I have their Larp cane sword. It's undoubtedly the best Larp weapon I've ever had. I can literally use it as a cane when my ankle is bothering me, plus both the cane and sword are fully boffer safe.
>>
>>48061175 here
Between my fiance and I, we own about ten Calimacil weapons too. They're great, but their hammers and clubs are really top heavy. They look amazing though. I have a calfera, it's incredibly beautiful but almost unusable
>>
>>48047559
>not larping with steel
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.