[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On power levels in PNP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: trophy podium.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
trophy podium.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
Where do you like to place your player's characters in terms of power? I know it depends on the settings but what do YOU find most interesting.

A) They're far more skilled than the average person and those who match or surpass their strength are considered as extraordinary as they are.

B) They're just as equal in strength as those around them. The level 6 paladin is just 1 in several hundred numbers of other level 6 paladins.

C) Your characters are considered weak in a cruel and unforgiving world where most of the things they go after are quite stronger than they are.
>>
>>48045983

It's like difficulty levels.

A is easy. It's for people who don't want any challenges or hardship.

B is respectable, but kind of dull.

C is the real deal.
>>
>>48045983
I am a simulationist, therefore B. Before everything else, things need to make some goddamned sense.
>>
>>48046019
You can have difficulty with A.
It just changes the number of foes you're throwing at them and up the ante on the kind of schemes/tricks you have planned for them.
>>
>>48045983
It actually DOES depend on the setting for me in this case; depending on the kind of game I'm feeling (and I've tried a LOT more RPG's in a lot more genres then most people) my desires for my character's abilities shift to be appropriate to the respective genre and game.
Like, I don't mind being way outgunned an outnumbered if I'm playing a zombie game or something but if it's a heroic fantasy I like to feel marginally more competent (one might even say heroic) compared to the average shmuck.

I guess the answer is "I don't have a favorite, I like them all" then.
Apologies OP.
>>
>>48045983
Assuming we are just talking about sentient humanoids, the pcs tend to be low high tier. Leagues above you average warrior, but not on par with say, the master swordsman who lives in the mountains training 25/7 everyday
>>
Currently they are just well trained and equipped soldiers with no fear of death, some zeal and minor magical feats. Slightly above normal but nothing unusual

The fun comes from seeing them interact with people from different rungs on the power ladder. Mixing things up is great. At one moment they are just fighting some peasant milita or disorganized rebels, a death knight is like the fucking terminator to them. Then before they feel they are hot shit a bunch of regular dudes with pikes and blunderbusses show up and despite being weaker then them they give them a hell of a time. Then they encounter some actual members of a true knightly order who could single handedly hand their collective asses to them for a lesson in humility. Then its interacting with some unarmed civilians. Then its a fucking wizard. You never know whos the biggest fish in the pond
>>
>>48045983
A blend of 1 and 2 for tabletop games. My level 6 paladin should be no better than any other level 6 paladin, but paladins above level three should be pretty rare.

For video games, depends on my mood. I'm playing Darkest Dungeon right now, and that's a firm 3.
>>
>>48045983
>Where do you like to place your player's characters in terms of power?

At whatever power level makes the most sense for the combat challenges I have prepared.

...I'm just fucking around. I actually really like the idea of "just above human" levels of power. Think like the non-hobbit members of the Fellowship of the Ring - they are larger than life, capable of incredible feats of strength and skill, and hold the fate of the world in their hands - but they can still be killed by regular swords, still be greatly outmatched by the elder forces of the world, and still aren't so powerful that regular people can't help them achieve their goals.

Lower than that can work, but if it's a campaign I'm running you can expect to get above-expected amounts of character advancement because I probably view it as a prologue. Above than that can work, but I can only stand it in small doses because I find it hard to get really attached to angels and demons and other crazy shit.
>>
>>48046019
>He thinks that because someone is better than other the difficulty will be easy.

You must've had shit GMs, am I right?
>>
>>48045983
They are far less skilled and weaker than the average person IRL.

But they are a god among their peers in-game.

Basically, the world is a shitpile, and the PCs are on top of that shitpile.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.