[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Champions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: champions.jpg (180 KB, 425x558) Image search: [Google]
champions.jpg
180 KB, 425x558
So I was hoping to get into this system and I haven't been having a lot of luck finding a community or titles or much of anything.

Are they just kind of walled off from the rest of the internet? Did the MMO going full micro transaction scatter the community? Is it because the name's tricky to search?

Also if any players are here; what supplements do you recommend?
>>
>>48045741
>Seeker vs. Doctor Destroyer
This will always make me chuckle.
>>
>>48045797
Why?
>>
I think the problem is that the system is relatively unknown, and thanks to Champions Online, will probably only be known as just another MMO.

Start making more threads about it. If this one falls off the board, try again. Get some books, read them, run a game with people off the gamefinder thread. You can probably find the books in a torrent somewhere. Build some interest around a system people probably only have a passing notice of if they care about MMOs.

Want to see a community grow? It has to start somewhere.
>>
Digging a little deeper, it seems like Champions spawned Hero System, which apparently runs a couple of other games. I don't know specifically what Champions has to offer over Hero, so if you're completely unable to find Champions, you could try Hero.
>>
>>48045741
There's the official Hero Games site, but it kind of sucks.
>>
>>48045797
>>48045847
Dr. Destroyer is one of the Champion's big baddies, more-or-less a Dr. Doom level character, and Seeker is Crocodile Dundee but with martial arts.
>>
>>48046231
Dr Doom was beaten by Squirrel Girl.
>>
>>48046295
Squirrel Girl is a Silver Age character in the modern age. Of course she wins!
>>
>>48046295
>>48046320

And anyway, so was Thanos.
>>
They have a forum: www.herogames.com/forums

You'll probably have better luck asking there, /tg/ never talks about this system; the high-crunch universal system crowd here seems to prefer GURPS.
>>
>>48045741
Hero System is the best system I've ever used.

Unfortunately, there's not srd, or free way to play and the books are kind of expensive, so it sort of limits community growth.

I've been playing for 22 years now. Started in kindergarten. lol

>>48045797
I always figured it was sort of a last stand thing waiting for Defender and Solitaire to get back up.
>>
>>48045980
Well the problem is that I'm into the Champions setting. HERO is just a system, I want to check out the villain books and crap like that.
>>
>>48045741
>what supplements do you recommend?
For which edition?

For the most part, 1e through 5e are rules interchangeable, with only a few changes in powers and power structures. 5e does depart from the "anything goes" approach of the previous 4, however, but pays for that control by being lawyer-level obtuse and obfuscatory.

6e is a different game, not matter what they tell you.

There are some good setting and genre guides starting in 2e and ending, depending on who you ask, with 4e or 5e. 5e has a shitload of extra "guide" books, but they are "paid by the word" hackfests.

>>48045980
>it seems like Champions spawned Hero System,
The two became distinct in 3e, while 1e and 2e had additional genre coverage under different names, with Espionage (1e) becoming Danger International, Fantasy Hero popping up in nearly every edition, and Justice Inc (Pulp) being a design counterpoint to Call of Cthulhu. 3e also saw Robot Warriors, a book that needed one more layout pass...

Some of the best early Champions setting stuff was from 2e, despite being fairly small books.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.