[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Banner Saga
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (278 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
278 KB, 1920x1080
Would it work well as a tabletop game?
>>
I think combt part of the game could be interesting boardgame
>>
>>48042469
Do you mean the setting, the mechanics, or something else?
>>
>>48043982
The mechanics, though the setting lends itself well to a tabletop RPG in my opinion.
>>
>>48044139
The mechanics are too simplistic. More like a boardgame.
>>
>>48042469
There was a ks for a boardgame, so I guess it works.
>>
>>48044148
Nothing wrong with simple mechanics, leaves more room and time for actual roleplaying, character and plot development, and more.
>>
>>48044447
Agreed, but I don't think there's a lot of room for the character customization that's inherent in RPGs.
>>
>>48045142
It could be run old school style. OD&D was essentially a wargame with exploration rules slapped on and a blessing to roleplay with it.

Add some presidencies for out of combat stuff, tie them into the health mechanics and bam! there you go.

Not much fun for guys that like to fiddle with character mechanics of course but they already have plenty of games to play. This one would fill a different niche, one that I think is only occupied by OSR right now.
>>
>>48042469
YES. I actually ran a Banner Saga game after playing the first game.

It had a very simple homebrew system since it was just me and a friend playing over the internet, and we were more interested in story than battles. For a more meaty game I would use Pendragon or The Icelandic Sagas.
>>
>>48048786
Sounds like a lot of fun. What kind of things did you do?
>>
>>48044148
There is a boardgame
>>
>>48048876
It was different from the game, but with a very similar tone.
My char was a young noble from Arberrang. The city fell into unrest after Prince Ludin's death in battle against the dredge. Without a prince, and with the old King of Men bedridden out of shock, it looked like the lineage would end. The noble houses gathered to choose a new king, but they couldn't get a consensus. My character was one of the candidates.

There were news of humans from the North suviving the tide of the dredge, being led by a certain Rook, that died killing Bellower. His daughter Alette, however, was very alive. Well, a whole caravan of hardened veterans from the North, along with the last Varl warband, could definitely break the stalemate at Arberrang. Marrying Alette would basically turn one into King of the North, and give one all the power necessary to become King of the South as well.

So it became a matter of finding the girl and bringing her safely to Arberrang where she could be properly auctioned.

The first part of the game was sarching the completely devastated north with a caravan, looking for what was left of Rook's group, and bringing them south. Loads of feels, loads of running. The second part was very intrigue-heavy, trying to negotiate the favor of the noble houses during the so-called "War of the Wooing", the civil war that exploded for the crown. The game ended just as my character stood as King of Men with Alette as his broken, distant wife, trying to rally what was left of the South.

There was a glimmer of hope in "The Last Riddle", a series of clues left by the Trickster God that could lead to "salvation for all this damn mankind" Following them, explorers found a huge underground secret temple where the ghosts of the brave dead slept, waiting for the call of the gods for ragnarok. But since the gods were dead...
The game ended with my char going to the tower of the menders to find a way to awake the warriors, but that was left for season 2.
>>
The story was shit as well as dialogues so fuck that game. Pretty art style though.
>>
>>48056149
Would you care to elaborate? I only played the first game but I thought it was really good.
Also story isn't everything in a game senpai.
>>
Is the game that unpopular that no one wants to talk about it?
>>
>>48044148
>>48044447
>>48045142
There's a lot more depth to the mechanics than one would imagine, especially at character creation. There's more to The Banner Saga's combat than just Health and Armor. Almost every character in that entire game had some sort of unique ability or quirk, and translating something like that to tabletop adds quite a bit of character customization without taking away from the simplicity of the system.

The real issue comes in making the social and other non-combat systems of the game, and making them feel like they're not just RP element oddly tacked-on to a board game.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.