[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bad GM advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
So I need your opinion on this.

Been playing this campaign with a handful of close friends for almost two years, and Im honestly not really enjoying myself. Not that I dont enjoy roleplaying, but our GM is kinda bad and he cant handle the more inexperienced players and he doesnt listen to feedback at all.

I've been contemplating leaving the group, but Im afraid they'll stop playing all together if I leave.. What are your thoughts on subjects like this?

Thanks
>>
>>48011035
If you're not satisfied with your GM, there's two things you can do. You can either step up to the plate and GM yourself, or you can bail. No real in-between option if he's not listening to feedback.
>>
>>48011035
>I've been contemplating leaving the group, but Im afraid they'll stop playing all together if I leave
Leave and start your own campaign with the people who leave.

Let em have at least some good enjoyment out of it.
>>
>>48011098
>>48011106

Yeah I've been contemplating making my own campaign, but I honestly think I'd make my current GM really sad, if I hijacked his thing. Remember he is a close friend of mine.

Should I do it nontheless?
>>
>>48011166
Can you talk to him about it away from the group?
>>
>>48011166
Are the others enjoying it? If it's just you that isn't enjoying it then just leave the game. If the others like it they'll stay.
>>
>>48011185

Sure, I can hit him up on facebook, but Im just not sure what to say and how to say it really. Can you help me out?
>>
>>48011202

The others are enjoying roleplaying, but are unsatisfied with lots of things.. they just.. kinda.. roll with it or accept the bad terms.. I wouldnt want to ruin their fun aswell, if they are actually enjoying it (I know of at least 1 other player on the team, who is as agitated as myself)
>>
>>48011185
>Can you talk to him about it away from the group?
>>48011211
>Sure, I can hit him up on facebook,
Facebook, the paragon of clear, direct communication.

Not that anon, but clarify how clear the feedback was that he has not been listening to.
A friend should listen to a friend's feedback of the game. If he's not, he either doesn't understand you (and there's hope), he does understand and he thinks he knows how to GM better than you(less hopeful but you might convince him), or he knows how unhappy you are and it doesn't matter to him (not really acting like a friend at this point)
>>
>>48011699

The feedback has been extremely clear imho. I've made a comprehensive pdf on how he could improve his roleplay, none of which he has taken into account.
Stuff like (shortened)
- "Please integrate your PCs backgrounds into the campaign"
- "Linear dungeons suck, give the PCs choices"
- "When all your NPCs lie and cheat the PCs, don't expect the PCs to trust anyone"
- "Always pressuring the PCs to hurry somewhere (you only have two days before its too late!!) can be really frustrating in the long run."
- "We've been chasing the BBEG for two years without any noticable progress. Please give us some sense of succes"
>>
File: potatochips.jpg (15 KB, 267x267) Image search: [Google]
potatochips.jpg
15 KB, 267x267
>>48011166

"Hi I feel like it's been a bit since you got to play a character, how about I run a few sessions next time we hit some downtime."

Then run a really good set of sessions with real character development that gets all the players on your side. Then as the GM realizes he's losing ownership of the game you take a potato chip. And eat it.
>>
>>48011035
...Mikey?
>>
>>48012399

no
>>
>>48011864
Ok what sort of person are you dealing with here mindset wise? We love solving problems but we need data.
>>
>>48011864
A technical manual of "ways you suck" is usually not the method I would suggest.

My advice is always mix things up. Run a one-shot with different characters/setting. Something totally different like a puzzle-only dungeon run or where everyone is kids and no adults believe in real monsters.

Is your friend a foreverGM? Sometimes they just need a break, too. Also, social conversation is better than pdfs.
>>
>>48012554

I don't understand the question. He is a pretty typical guy. Just first time as a GM, made his setting all alone, and is so focused on his plot, that he in many ways forget the PCs. Atleast that is my analysis.

>>48012570
He has other campaigns wherin he is a player.
How would you advice me to give a GM feedback, if not pointing out the things I think he needs to improve?
Good idea about the one-shots though. Thanks
>>
>>48012766
How often do you chat in a social context regarding he campaign? Do you understand his goals and intents? Do you know why he is doing the things that are frustrations in the first place?

I know from a GM standpoint there are a lot of varied motivations for things. Sometimes that leads in odd directions. I have run one-shots where literally nothing the players did mattered, but it was framed like they were making choices that mattered. The results where the same if they picked right or left. Not all of my players liked it, but some enjoyed the ride. I didn't do it again to the players who didn't like it.

Pen and paper is group fun. It isn't Players v GM. Collaborate on what is going on to understand either why he hasn't or why he won't fix it.

If he is removing group fun for personal fun, he is being That Guy and you should rightly respond according to such offense.
>>
>>48012766
>so focused on his plot, that he in many ways forget the PCs. Atleast that is my analysis.
You could try and get him to see you wanting to do other stuff as world building.
>>
>>48012570
>social conversation is better than pdfs
This is true.

>>48011864
Your feedback seems pretty clear and those are some fairly basic issues for a GM to ignore.

>>48012118
This is probably the best move. Although it doesn't account for him not giving up the reins. Also it lacks, direct honest communication, which we all know is the first best answer.

As for how to tell him, the is no easy way. I would focus on the why you want to try, over why you want him to stop.

Also, don't fall into the trap of swinging too hard in the opposite direction.
There was a story I can't find where the OP took over a game from a GM that was literally "the plot is now you fight these guys, now these, now wolves with knives, now fly to the other side of the world for reasons!"
The new GM built a bandit fort in the woods without a gimmick to get in.
The PCs had to plan their way in on their own.
After a couple attempts, they realized there was no"right answer" to figure out and actually made a plan.
They got gud.
They failed a couple more times, due to low skills and bad rolls.
They finally get the rogue up on the guard wall, and a guard shows up.
Trying to act before he can alert anyone, the rogue does a jump kick to knock the guy over the wall for the others to kill/silence him. A very, "rule of cool" moment.
The GM's response?
The wall is chest high, the Rogue is a halfling, there's no way he could knock him off the wall. The guard takes x damage and alerts the rest of the bandits.
After that, the group decided to quit that game and go back to the LOL random GM's game.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.