[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EDH/Commander general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50
File: 88.jpg (71 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
88.jpg
71 KB, 312x445
"You lazy shits" edition

Old thread
>>47976574

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
http://www.magiccards.info
>>
> tfw no crucible of worlds

Somebody gib $70 plox.
>>
Would you play Brawn or Archetype of Aggression if you only had a slot for one of them?
>>
>>48006896
What deck is it ?
>>
>>48006400
any other good or better creatures for b/r aggro? i want to build up tons of creatures that come in and hit fast
>>
>>48006872
They should make it standard legal again someday. I doubt it would be any good without fetches and lands like tectonic edge
>>
>>48007011
I was really disappointed that they didn't reprint it in eternal masters. I'm going to buy it eventually, I just need to buy the other 100 cards in my queue before I sirens $70 on one.
>>
I am building yisan and was wondering if ya'll had any good win cons besides craterhoof?
>>
File: ffff.jpg (169 KB, 551x384) Image search: [Google]
ffff.jpg
169 KB, 551x384
At this point of his story I really wanted them to give him a name and make it legendary, specially since it would make for a nice wizard tribal general that isn't Azami combo
>>
>>48007442
Damn yeah that would have made a cool commander. Maybe it could fit into a more fair Azami deck?
>>
Think that new mana rock Ill put into my Rakdos lord of riots edh.
>>
>>48007231
Baru, Fist of Krosa is basically a smaller Craterhoof you can get on Verse 5 if your opponents suck that much.
>>
Somebody help me turn this casul shit upside down

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-06-16-volrath/

help

I know there's 102.
>>
>>48007442
just sygg my shit up senpai
>>
>>48007231
Pathbreaker Ibex?
>>
So, I am running a dakkon blackblade voltron build.

I just picked up a hanna to put in the 99, should I anticipate getting shit for running dakkon over hanna as the commander?
>>
File: 1465698744816.jpg (193 KB, 519x497) Image search: [Google]
1465698744816.jpg
193 KB, 519x497
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nin-wip-1/

Hey /tg/, can you please give me some advice on my Nin control? I am still undecided about what wincons to put in, as well as if there are any deficiencies in composition and mana base.

I dont want it to be too tryhard and competitive but I do enjoy winning a lot and doing it more than once every other week would be nice.
>>
>>48007977
I mean, you're running a Voltron commander and Hanna is anything but. Besides, Dakkon is cool.
>>
>>48007887
Sounds pretty good, is it cheap
>>
>>48008024
thanks man, Dakkon is was my favorite card as a kid, I seriously over paid for a mint legends Dakkon...I have spent way too much money on this deck, especially since I haven't even managed to finalize the list.
>>
why is commander/EDH getting so popular? at my local LGS it seems like that there are more EDH players than standard or modern players, to the point where lots of those competitive players are getting angry that so many people play commander instead of those other formats

is it because the scene is inherently more casual? it's definitely not lower cost because of how expensive a good deck can cost even if its not trying to be super-competitive

I don't mind this phenomenon at all, as I've slowly become a dedicated EDH player, but it seems interesting that so many people are rejecting the competitive scenes or the "proper" way to play magic
>>
>>48007833
Going to have trouble actually hitting anyone with Volrath. He doesn't fly, trample, or intimate. I only saw one or two cards in there that grant those sort of effects.
>>
>>48008085
I'm from a modern back round, so my answer is coming from that perspective.

I could build a fun modern deck, doing stuff that I enjoyed all the time, but it ends up being t2-t3 any real netdeck will have a very good chance stomping all over the deck, great for kitchen table magic.

With EDH, everyone is somewhat on the same page with balance. You can build around a card you like and since there are other people at the table prioritizing threats you have a much greater chance to play a game like you intended.
>>
>>48008094
Filth/Urborg
Chariot of Victory
Haunted Cloak
Nim deathmantle sometimes
Whispersilk

But yea, I think I do need more, possibly 3 more.
>>
>>48008085
Because people who devote themselves to modern/standard are more often than not insufferable spikes, who are a chore to even talk to, let alone play with.

While you are right that EDH deck can cost a lot, it all depends and generally I found my decks to be around 350-600 dollars and be pretty good. Meanwhile, if I were to play modern or standard and win 600 is around the base amount I need.

There's nothing wrong with being "casual" - I miss the time when MtG was just a game for me. EDH along with Pauper help to recapture that feeling the best.
>>
>>48008122
Oh and Shizo/Rogues Passage.
>>
>>48008128
I feel that. I have pretty competitive decks but I love casual the most. One of the reasons I enjoy getting new people into the game is because it gives me the opportunity to make underpowered weaker decks that make games last a long time

MTG constructed would be so much more fun if you were limited to 2 copies of a card per deck for a rare and 1 of for a mythic. Consistency makes the game boring desu
>>
QUICK

WHO2USE4STAX
>>
>>48008174
Sen Triplets
>>
>>48008174
HOKORI
>>
>>48008174
Derevi or Oloro
>>
>>48007873
immediately thought of my river guide deck when i saw thst card. flips on the turn casted and becomes a free wizard generator that gives all your dudes +2 flying. makes call to arms even more fun
>>
>>48008128
unfortunately the spikes are starting to invade EDH, hence the stax meme and UG decks of all tutors
>>
>>48008183
DID THE RULINGS ON MANA COLORS UN-BORK THEIR ABILITY
>>48008189
AW MAN HE LOOKS PRETTY COOL BUT MONO-WHITE IS ON THE WEAKER SIDE
>>48008201
FUCK THE C13 FACE COMMANDERS
>>
>>48008174
Selvala. Pack in hatebears, Winter Orb, Static Orb, etc and make people writhe in pain.

I would say Gaddock Teeg if Selvala didnt exist, but Teeg presents two problems: 1) He doesnt generate value over time, and he doesnt give you an inherent advantage like Selvala; and 2) Teeg often times feels like he works 50% of the time. He does stop certain decks and certain spells, but big creatures are still a relevant answer to Teeg.

But by all means, use Teeg in the 99. He's great, just Selvala is more beneficial in the command zone imo.
>>
>>48008237
Go GAAIV then. Or the Triplets, the rule change didn't boost them a lot but it maybe be fun.
>>
>>48008094
>he doesn't intimate
Yes he does
>>
>>48008237
>DID THE RULINGS ON MANA COLORS UN-BORK THEIR ABILITY
Yes, though they seem kinda expensive if you're dead set on stax.
>>
>>48008213
Yeah, I noticed that. Luckily, my meta is pretty fun and casual, apart from that one guy who plays disgusting U/B stax that pretty much stops people playing magic and calls it "fun".

No combination of words make me grind my teeth more than "competitive EDH" I swear to fucking god

I also still need some help with my Nin pretty please, people: >>48008011
>>
>>48008213
>starting to invade
It's been going on for a while.
>>
>>48008208
*coat of arms

goddammit!
>>
>>48008011
>>48008262
The thing with Nin, the Pain Artist is that she is very mana reliant. Thats why you see either two builds of her: Artifact or Combo, or a mixture of the two. Your deck list seems alright but not a lot really complinents Nin since you can only have so much mana that you could use in a color combination that can't reliably ramp without artifact support (or Mana Geyser).

That said: consider Keranos at the helm. He's nothing but value, compliments well with certain cards you already have like Willbreaker and Dominus. Heck: you can even run Nin in the 99 with no problem.

Also: Dismiss into Dream is a hilarious card. It sets the stage for people to get political with each other.
>>
>>48008011
toss in the other niv mizzet. both on the field create an infinite combo

Also keranos for consistent value and a good target for nim since her ability essentially becomes URX: draw X cards

that one UR chimera from theros would also be pretty good
>>
>>48008369
Spellheart chimera?
>>
>>48008402
bingo
>>
>>48008174
Daretti, obviously.
Otherwise pw teferi turbostax, both are competitive in French by the very least.
Teferi -1 on 4 Mana rocks is disgusting, especially on t4 with stasis
>>
>>48008369
>>48008331
>>48008457
That's pretty nice advice. I think I will stick with Nin because she's fun whom am I lying to, it's because of her tits but I might definitely maindeck keranos or the other niv mizzet because I like infinite comboes, maybe add in Deadeye navitators/palinchrome.

A better question is, anything immediately jumps at you that I should cut?
>>
>>48008262
I'm fond of Flame Jab in spellslinger style decks. It does surprising amounts of work. Especially if you decide to run Pyromancer's Gloves. True Name Nemesis is a really strong creature but doesn't seem to gel with what you deck is trying to do. Also you have Young Pyromancer but no Talrand? Fix that shit. Final suggestion is add Turnabout to the deck because it does obscene amounts of work and turn Reverberate into Reiterate since it goes infinite mana with Turnabout and 10 lands.
>>
>>48008494
cut forgotten cave, add wandering fumarole

shadows jace is pretty good
>>
>opponent MLD's the board when I'm playing pepe
>draw exploration next turn
>life from the loam in the graveyard
>bueno.jpg

reanimator meme frog is the best
thank god for SOI
>>
>>48008085
I know individual decks aren't necessarily cheaper, but I'm more comfortable buying single expensive cards than needing to buy 4 of each expensive card I want to play.
>>
>>48008237
Hokori can be really fucking strong. Don't sleep on him despite being in mono-white
>>
>>48008494
I second on cutting Jace, Isochron Scepter is also something I'm noy entitely impressed with.
>>
>>48008649
I have to agree. Buying one of every fetch is a lot more reasonable than buying 4 of each, for example
>>
>>48008575
Do you mean Pyromancer's Gauntlets? Or Goggles?

>>48008577
I like Shadows Jace, but it just so happens that I have the lorwyn one and want to cut at least some costs, seeing that I have to buy minamo, academy ruins, keranos, oblivion stone etc.
>>
>>48008369
Nivs don't go infinite together, since Dracogenius has to do the damage to draw a card.
>>
>>48008694
I meant Gauntlets. If you opt to run it that is. It tends to work better with a suite of smaller burn effects. Turn//Burn Fire//Ice and the like. By he way both those split cards are great under Isochron
>>
>>48008848
I will look into it. Main reason I run isochron is fun factor - I dream of putting Price of Progress under it and committing collective suicide.
>>
File: 1336510895795.jpg (13 KB, 258x314) Image search: [Google]
1336510895795.jpg
13 KB, 258x314
>>48008244
>tfw one day I am going to witness a Teeg/Brisela hard lock
>>
>>48008879
>Opponent A has four turns
>Opponent B has eight turns
>Opponent C has twelve turns
>they may all play lands
Spicy.
>>
File: fucking ass.jpg (86 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
fucking ass.jpg
86 KB, 312x445
How do I actually use this in a deck.
>>
>>48008932
Spawnsire of ulamog with 200 Emrakul in your pocket?
>>
>>48008932
Cast Research 6gorillion times
>>
So, land base aside, what do you think? Maybe a few more tutors, like Runescarred Demon?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-06-16-wall-tribal/
>>
>>48008244
Selvala stax? I'm clearly missing something here, she looks like a group hug general
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 320x312) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 320x312
Are the old commander precons worth picking up for the around 100 dollar price they carry?
>>
Quick, recommend me a removal suite in a 5c deck.

W: Return to Dust, StP?
U: Cyclonic rift, ?
B: Tragic Slip, ?
R: ?
G: Krosan Grip, ?
>>
>>48010023
Decimate
>>
>>48008493
HOW2BUILD4DARETTI
>>
>>48010023
Blasphemous Act
>>
>>48009869
With Hokori, Winter Orb, and Static Orb you off-set the ability for your opponents to use multiple cards per turn. Othet examples in the hatebear department are Thalia/Glowrider/Vyrn Horse, Ethersworn Canonist, and Thorn of Amythest. With green you can just use mana dorks and get ahead of the game since while everyones shit is tapped, you are always ahead of the game thanks to Selvala and other Elves like Priest of Titania giving you mana.

You close out games with Armageddon/Ravages of War/Catastrophe, Kamahl/Elesh Norn, and Craterhoof. Or making them concede.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-06-16-BVv-omnath-edh/
Does anyone have suggestions for my Omnath deck? Cards that are maybeboard are ones I already have.
>>
>>48008237
What rule are you talking about?
>>
File: discontentment.png (611 KB, 669x440) Image search: [Google]
discontentment.png
611 KB, 669x440
>>48010211
>tfw no one in your group concedes
>ever
>>
>>48010341
It was previously ruled by the EDH committee that a deck could only produce mana in the general's color identity plus colorless. That has since been reneged. This has a rather large impact on Sen Triplets.
>>
>>48010346
Your decks aren't FUN enuff.
>>
>>48010832
I worry that if I build maximum FUN, games will just drag out for like 6 hours
>>
So I'm trying to build a new deck, but I can't decide what. I'd like to eventually have a deck for every color combo, so for now I'm avoiding overlapping with existing decks. I have UR, GW, BG, WUG, and five color.

I'm trying to decide between U/B and UW, but both would just be goofy decks- the only UB commander that seems interesting to me is Vela, but I don't know how I'd build around that. For UW I was thinking of building a stupid 'theme' deck around the bad Ojutai and making it ice/winter themed.

Thoughts?
>>
>>48010930
Vela is probably best built as low cost creatures that do cool things when they hit and mass bounce board control.
>>
>>48011013
That's kind of what I was thinking- kinda like Roon, except without access to white or blue the "ETB" theme gets less stupid and irritating to play against.

I was also thinking I could put in a bounce-theme more than a blink thing, both on offense and defense, and then pack in black board wipes too.

I could also maybe do a Faeries subtheme- I know she's not a Faerie, but it could be fun?
>>
>>48006896
almost always brawn unless you are running a lot of warrior trible/weenie recursion
>>
>>48010023
if multi-color spells are k, terminate, vindicate/anguished unmaking, putrefy, mortify, abrupt decay, maelstrom pulse

austere command, profane command, plow under, go for the throat, lightning bolt, vandalblast, volcanic offering, reiterate (sort of)
>>
>>48008629
just checking, you only drew one card from his MLD right?
>>
>>48010930
do you not like original Isperia?
>>
File: giza.png (152 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
giza.png
152 KB, 223x311
Just built this zany slut. Any spicy tech? Currently running early enablers like Grafted Wargear / Lashwrithe / Nightmare Lash to slap onto little dudes so they can get huge and explode into zombies.

Has a few wincons like Mike / Trike, Smothering Abomination + Sac outlet, Hatred + outlet, etc.
>>
File: mylove.jpg (80 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
mylove.jpg
80 KB, 768x432
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kalemne-sitter-of-faces/

Link related is my perpetual work in progress. The most recent changes were cutting some of the higher CMCs for more instant-speed responses. All critiques welcome.
>>
>>48011607
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-aint-saying-she-is-a-gravedigger/

Orkish Sureshot is beautiful

Run all the lords

Gravesawn sovereign can be hilarious

Lord + thornbite staff + Phyrexian alter =win
>>
File: 1402855890202.jpg (57 KB, 490x368) Image search: [Google]
1402855890202.jpg
57 KB, 490x368
>>48011948
>32 lands
I don't get how someone could own so many expensive cards yet be such a bad deckbuilder.
>>
>>48011127
Not bad, I think looking into the lorowyn rogue's and the kamigawa ninja's might not be a bad idea either since both those tribes tend to like being unblocked (though most of the ninja's are probably kinda weak because lol kamigawa).
>>
>>48011987
Yea I am risking it, but land tax/tithe saves my ass enough to where it's usually OK. My meta wraths a lot too so getting stuff out early isn't quite as pivotal.
>>
>>48011506
Nothing wrong with her, but when I was looking at the UW options the Ojutai Winter Theme came to me and seemed funny.

I know if I build some 20-odd decks not all of them can be optimized, and I'm okay with that.
>>
>>48012034
32 is terrible. Hoping to start with a tax or tithe doesn't help at all.
>>
>>48012022
Oooh, not a bad option. The deck she originally came in from Planechase had interesting Ninja stuff like Silent Blade Oni, and the ninjas aren't TERRIBLE.

The Rogues would probably go better if I weren't "diluting" things with Ninjas, but there are a lot more of them... this is an interesting angle, thank you.
>>
>>48012042
we don't Vancouver Mulligan either so the starting hand usually isn't a problem
>>
>>48012034
Step one of any Commander deck is 40 lands.

You can trim a little if you have a fairly low curve, or tons of ramp/artifact mana, but my rule of thumb is 40 lands, and you can remove 1 land for every 2 pieces of non-land ramp. 32 is insanely low unless you curve out at like 4 or you're cheating to get Tax out on turn 1 every game.
>>
>>48012111

40 is too many

thats my rule of thumb
>>
>>48012111
Not 40. I'd argue 36-38, depending on your rock or ramp count.
>>
>>48012111
>40 lands
Our Angry Omnath player doesn't even run that many
>>
>>48012108
>partialscum
You don't need deckbuilding help, you need a new playgroup.
>>
>>48012154
>>48012154

angry omnath is one of the few decks that can benefit from really high land count, i would say 40 or even 41-42 could be fine in omnath, gitrog frog, or titania, azusa, etc

but normal decks, 36 is my ideal, but sometimes i go lower if the deck has a lot of card draw

i hate land flooding
>>
>>48012163
we think it's more ___fun___
>>
>>48012111
Lars pls go, your decks are bad and always have too many lands
>>
>>48012178
My Gitrog runs... 44? 45?
>>
>>48012135
It's really deck dependant. I have a Jhoria deck that runs 39 and a decent spread of mana facts because I want to be able to hard cast Obliterate/Decree of Annihilation ASAP every game. 40 is a good starting point before the deck has taken form though.
>>
>>48012203
Who the hell is lars?
>>
>>48010006
The one with Flusterstorm probably is, given that it's $70 alone.
>>
>>48012367
That deck also has Wall of Omens (5 bucks), Nin (6 bucks), Austere Command (10 bucks), Chaos Warp (7), Champion's Helm (7), and Ghostly Prison (15)
>>
>>48012111
I don't know 40 seems alot of land unless you're landfall heavy. The least of commander decks runs 34 land with 5 rocks
>>
>>48012438
40's just what I start with when I'm hashing out the deck. I usually end up closer to 35ish with probably 6-8 pieces of ramp.
>>
So do you guys come up with names for your decks, or just call them by the Commander?
>>
>>48012448
Yeah it just depends, tri colors I usually run close to 38 lands to deal with the influx of mana compared to dual colors
>>
>>48012414
Chaos Warp is a 2-3 dollar card
>>
>>48012480
My Autocard is putting the Median at 7. I guess it's not counting the foil version as 'foil' and that's dragging the median up?
>>
>>48012226
My friend who builds terrible decks out of the pack fodder he gets from booster boxes. No draw, no rocks, 40 lands
>>
>>48012111

I've found 35 lands with 8 rocks or dorks works well
>>
>>48008921
>>48008879
They can play big creatures all they want though
>>
>>48012461
I call my Newzuri deck P90X starring Garruk and my Nekusar deck is Salt of the Lich King
>>
>>48012511
Oh man- my group has been playing Commander since shortly before the first precons came out, and slowly been expanding (as in, more people have gotten roped into it over time)

About three weeks ago I went to my shop and there were a couple kids none of us recognized, browsing the cabinet and asking if anyone had Jaces, because he's missing two (it was SOI Jace and Flipjace) for his collection. Anyway, they asked if anyone wanted to play, told them I only had Commander, and they were overjoyed.

They thought Commander was still Standard. As in both of them had Commander decks comprised entirely of Standard cards. They also had their 'preferred' decks which were not based in Standard, and... god, I had to hold back so hard to keep from obliterating these kids. One pulled out Talrand, and I thought it'd be fun, and he was playing shit like WIND DRAKE.
>>
>>48012579
>people play shitty vanilla cards in their commander decks

This is pretty common when people first start playing edh though. I remember 3 years I was a dumbass and thought giant scorpion worked well in the jund precon
>>
>>48012624
Sure, it's just that it's been literal years since I've seen it. Most every 'new' player nowadays just buys a precon.
>>
>>48012636
Sometimes newbies think they know what's better for the deck and they're not always right. Guy who started recently playing with us took out everything but the lands from his Meren deck and replaced it with cheaper and as result not as good cards.
>>
>>48008174
origins Liliana
>>
>>48012752
Not necessarily a bad philosophy. If he got that idea early in his magic career he probably has a better grasp on mana curves and the like than most scrubs. He'll probably figure it out quickly.
>>
God help me, I think I'm going to start naming my decks like they're 「 S T A N D S 」
>>
>>48012908
He deviated from the original concept but he did so because "B/G is my favorite color combo." He'll eventually get the hang of it and figure out a good a commander deck on his own maybe with some help if he asks but I don't want to seem like an asshole if he asks me to help because I would change many things since I have a more competitive outlook than casual
>>
So my friends outright told me they are going to start running stuff to counter one of my decks. I have never been this happy playing magic. :3
>>
>>48013143
I know this feel

It's a pretty good feel
>>
>>48008174
Marrow-Gnawer.
>>
>>48013018
Do it, thats how most of my decks end up named
And yelling this before playing is super satisfying when the group gets it
> FACE MY DECK, 「 T H E B L U E S B R O T H E R S 」
>>
>>48013117
I know that feeling. I was at a casual magic event not terrible long ago and one of the other players had a scrubby packed with fat Jhoria deck and I have a Jhoria deck as well. He was asking for advise on his build and I'm happy to help but at the same time I don't want to see it turn into my deck. Part of what I like about edh is seeing other people's innovations. Deck building can be hard without a near encyclopedic knowledge of the magic library and that really only comes with time. I try to give a lot of advise on deck lists posted here too if I'm familiar with the general strategy or the color combo but I don't want to away all my secrets either.
>>
>>48007197
Sorry goy - I mean, guy, we weren't able to fit it into EMA. If you buy more of EMA we'll see about reprinting it in the next set 2 years from now as a Mythic. :^)

>>48007442
Not sure what I'm going to remove from my Azami deck - probably Magus of the Future if anything.
>>
>>48013250
What I have so far, please feel free to suggest new ones

>Reaper King Clone Tribal
「 C L O N E H I G H 」

>Treva, the Renewer Enchantment Pillowfort
「 E N C H A N T E D G A R D E N 」
OR
「 S A F E T Y D A N C E 」

>Gitrog Monster lands and Gitroggery
「 T O A D T H E W E T S P R O C K E T 」
or
「 R A I N B O W C O N N E C T I O N 」

>Mizzix spellslinging, totally not storm
「 G R A N D M A G U S 」

>Trostani lifegain and fat butts
「 S T A Y I N ' A L I V E 」

>Zegana ETB bullshit
「 B L I N K 1 8 2 」
>>
File: 1458316791277.gif (996 KB, 245x310) Image search: [Google]
1458316791277.gif
996 KB, 245x310
>>48013143
>Friend is going to make a deck to completely fuck over my own deck
>I am happy about this

So you'll be fine getting your ass kicked every game and waiting 2 hours for the game to be done?
>>
>>48008041
>I literally can't spend 5 second to google the price of something.
>>
>>48012624
My problem was flashy cards that turn out to be overcosted and not making an actual effect. When tuning my decks I now go through and think "would I actually want to draw this? Have I drawn it in the past and had it sit in my hand all game?".
>>
File: Untitled.png (200 KB, 1269x471) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
200 KB, 1269x471
>>48006872
>>
>>48013311
I think it's more that he's glad his deck is "good enough" his friends need to run dedicated hate.

OR, he built a deck to teach his playgroup to run certain disruption. I know I've seen people build degenerate graveyard decks to teach their playgroup to run at least a little bit of graveyard disruption before.
>>
>>48012461
I usually just say the name of the general and then the theme of the deck. Examples: Niv Mizzet Artifacts, Merieke Ri Nig-Your-Wincons, Ruric Thar All-Creatures, Teysa Tokens Control
>>
>>48013143

Sounds like they're bad tryhards.

>oh yea? Well I'm going to put 20 infinite combos in my deck to beat yours because that's how good deck building works!
>what do you mean what's my average cmc?
>33 lands is plenty!

I've known many in my time. Hell, I WAS one until I got gud.
>>
>>48013348
It's funny how 100 cards is simultaneously a lot of space to fill but still small enough to make justifying silver bullets difficult at times.
>>
>>48012209
why 38 is fine with the mana dorks your going to run
>>
>>48013310
I like them but I think you should go >「 S A F E T Y D A N C E 」
and
>「 T O A D T H E W E T S P R O C K E T 」
If you want to be more blunt there is a band named "The Frogs" you can use. My favorite is that Zegana name, thats perfect
>>
>>48012579
His decks definitely have a focus, but they're just inefficient. I'm not super-competitive at all, mind you. I play more for beer league banter and seeing what weird interactions I can make happen
>>
>>48013418
>Deck focused on lands
>Mana dorks
Dude, there's not even a SOL RING in that deck.
>>
>>48013419
Zegana is the one I'm most proud of, thanks!

I think "The Frogs" is a little too blunt- there's also a band called "Enchantment" and that was too on-the-nose.
>>
File: 1465860771783.jpg (203 KB, 719x523) Image search: [Google]
1465860771783.jpg
203 KB, 719x523
>>48013348
I have never know that feeling. My original group was extremely casual to where it was just fun except the "I have every counterspell card ever printed" Teferi guy. My current group is full of vengeful tryhards who get extremely bitchy about mill and but everything else is fair game. It doesn't help either when the most tryhardiest of them all wins because his "friends" let him steamroll over everyone then bitch that he wins all the time. Apology for my original response into a faggy blogpost but I couldn't help myself
>>
>>48013434
Unless your gitrog is french I am impressed that you were able to not use sol ring unless you ordered one for it and it just hasn't arrived yet
>>
>>48010006
No, you can build them by buying singles for much cheaper, and you can exclude intentionally bad includes or cards that are too expensive.

If you want them as complete precons, they are not among the best-designed ones.

>>48013310
gA is that you my nigga

What are some of the most fun cards to use in Trostani (that are not expensive)?
>>
>>48013456
Fair enough, Ive been struggling to think of a good name for my Obzedit deck, typical life gain/loss stuff with them. Blues Brothers is my Riku deck btw.
>>
>>48013559
Why not Ebony and Ivory? Too straightforward?
>>
>>48013304
Take out an island.
>>
>>48013598
I haven't heard of them, and that works pretty well for now, thank you!
>>
>>48013635
Kek it's a song by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder
>>
>>48013504
I have been discovered. Rats.

Phyrexian Processor is the obvious stupid one, but Sprout Swarm is a favorite.
>>
Man I fucking loathe Group Hug players. The worst part is that they always act so sanctimonious about it when you call them out.
"Oh, I just want everyone to have a good time hee hee, let's all have some mana!"

Bull fucking shit. You're here to arbitrarily give the game to a random player. And sure I guess kingmaking whatever deck synergizes with Hug the most is 'fun', the rest of us would actually like to play the game at some point without it being decided before the match starts.
>>
>>48013926
Show me on the pheldagryph doll where the group hugger touched you, anon.
>>
File: celestial-kirin-CDMV-84380.jpg (66 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
celestial-kirin-CDMV-84380.jpg
66 KB, 312x445
>go to edhrec.com
>click the "Random!" button
>this is your next EDH general you're building
How did you do, /tg/?
>>
>>48013926
Would you rather have a grouphug player with fair chances of everyone winning or a completely obvious kingmaker?
>>
>>48014036
>Varolz
Could be better, could be worse
>>
File: 1466451419863.gif (35 KB, 206x205) Image search: [Google]
1466451419863.gif
35 KB, 206x205
>2 blue/white control players in my group
>I just wanna kill people with big green and red monsters

Just end it, lads.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 312x445
>>48014036
Oh boy, world's dullest monoblack coming right up.
>>
File: 48.jpg (56 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
48.jpg
56 KB, 312x445
>>48014036
Aw, I hate these dragons.
>>
File: snek teim.jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
snek teim.jpg
31 KB, 223x310
>>48014036
could be worse
>>
>>48014041
I'd prefer a player who was at least completely honest with their intentions to make one player dominate. The dude who just runs symmetrical effects and then claims that dropping an early Mana Flare when an Azusa player is on the field isn't unbalancing the game is the true shithead. At least the Kingmaker is honest about it.
>>
>>48014100
Snake offering sounds like something I'd to to a girl.
>>
>>48014102
It sounds like he is a kingmaker in that scenario, maybe you're just upset he doesn't play stuff to favor you.
>>
>>48014162
I'm kind of baffled that you seem to think that one player tipping the game for another random player without even trying to win is remotely fun for anyone else.
>>
File: GR.jpg (315 KB, 1001x769) Image search: [Google]
GR.jpg
315 KB, 1001x769
>>48014084
admittedly the noncreatures wouldn't synergize with Thar but you get the idea
>>
>>48014185
But you said yourself Kingmaker is better over grouphug, are you now changing your mind?
>>
>>48014200
No, I said at least they're honest about it. They're basically the same thing. Symmetrical effects generally aren't.
>>
>>48014193
and fuck, that's supposed to be Leyline of Lifeforce in the bottom left
>>
File: 1467049783492.jpg (40 KB, 355x417) Image search: [Google]
1467049783492.jpg
40 KB, 355x417
>>48014036
>Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch

Jesus I can't even imagine this as a commander, the 99 maybe
>>
>>48014207
So the problem more lies in that you like it when someone blatantly says fuck you and let's someone else win but you aren't fine when people play something to give everyone an advantage? Do you think fetchlands are overpowered as well?
>>
>>48014235
I think my problem is that you are grotesquely misreading what I'm saying but whatever.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 312x445
>>48014216
She's fun with devour, bloodthirst, stuff like power conduit. My favorite bit of jank with it is this.
>>
>>48014262
What am I misreading? You said you don't like it when someone clearly hands the game to a player using "all players" effects but are ok with people playing cards clearly advantageous and to benefit a single player. You are a little contradicting right now.
>>
>>48014100
Snako isn't bad, there just happen to be some really strong monogreen generals
>>
>>48014216
>Friend runs Exava in his Marchsa deck
>His face when I petrified it with Xathrid Gorgon once
>>
>>48014036
>Edric, Spymaster of Trest
I am now cancer.
>>
>>48013926
I target these players first. It's funny because a lot of the time they don't have great ways to defend themselves early instead expecting people to not attack them because "I'm helping". I'm not blind you know. I'm not gonna let you just set up your impenetrable wall of enchantments.
>>
>>48013755
I found that out after I typed that up and I feel super dumb right now
>>
>>48014036
>Zurgo Bellstriker
Could be worse, a 1-drop general is always nice. I guess play him headhunter style Voltron and go after one person
>>
>>48014036
>Kazuul
time to build come_at_me_bro.dec
>>
>>48014356
Kazuul is super fun. There is some strange shit among the old red cards
>>
>>48013926
Most group hug players don't kingmake, they just fuck around with mana doublers and shit and then win out of fucking nowhere.
>>
>>48014036
>Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer
I hear he's good politically at least
>>
>>48014372
Yeah I actually had Kazuul as commander for my mono-red stax/punishment deck for a long while but I replaced him with Zozu.
I'd like to build Attack Me Tribal though. What's a good wincon for that?
>>
>>48014304
But that does almost nothing. It's a pacifism at best.
>>
File: Akroma-Angel-of-Fury-Ftv-Angels.png (352 KB, 350x489) Image search: [Google]
Akroma-Angel-of-Fury-Ftv-Angels.png
352 KB, 350x489
>>48014084
>>
>>48014376
They don't intentionally kingmake but in reality fucking around with mana doublers is just going to give the game to whoever's to their left/has the best deck to exploit doubling effects.
>>
>>48014408
It was a pacifism at best, but he was already short on useful creatures and I started swinging right at him. We're not the most cutthroat meta in the world.
>>
>>48014398
I have Attack-Me tribal in Basandra. It is a lot of fun. The wincon is no one takes your stupid RW deck seriously and eventually you hit people with creatures.
>>
File: wjbcV6L.png (309 KB, 504x398) Image search: [Google]
wjbcV6L.png
309 KB, 504x398
>just got violently sodomized by a Phelddagrif deck
Jesus Christ
>>
File: 191.jpg (77 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
191.jpg
77 KB, 312x445
>>48014036
I've almost built him several times, but I really don't want to.
>>
>>48014427
Combo decks. An actually competitive group hug deck should run jester's cap and the like to neuter combos before they become a problem because they're the ones that are most likely to blow out the table in one shot with little room to respond.
>>
>>48014290
Not that anon, but you are sort of being deliberately obtuse. Let me break down what he is trying to say.

* Kingmaker is a non-playstyle where you hand the game over to one player. Kingmakers are sometimes disliked because they turn the game from a melee into an unfun 2v1v1
* Group hug type effects are ostensibly symmetric and help everybody. Cards like howling mine help everybody, so they are less likely to be hated out.
* The problem is that group hug effects are NOT symmetric. They give the most resources to players that didn't sacrifice anything for them. For example, if you load your deck with high cost threats and nothing else, you are going to dominate a table if somebody else plays braids, mana flare, and font of mythos.
* This creates a defacto kingmaker situation because it encourages two players to build decks that would otherwise be poorly designed and unfun to play, then collude together to make the game miserable for the other two players.

The worst thing about all this is that it happens without any malicious intent. The group hug player just wants a fun smashy random mario-party style game. The player they are kingmaking just sucks at deckbuilding and loaded his deck with 40 6-drops. The colluding that happens here is mostly accidental, so the players aren't going to realize that the game is a 2v1v1 until they are well into it.
>>
>>48014470
I built a Basandra deck as well focused around double and first strikers. It's pretty rad. Hype as fuck for the new Lancer card.
>>
File: suh2v6B.jpg (91 KB, 1179x883) Image search: [Google]
suh2v6B.jpg
91 KB, 1179x883
>>48014511
>the crappy player wins because the other player is benefiting him more than me with his shitty grouphug deck

Anon THAT IS kingmaking
>>
>>48014415
I want to run this solely for the art but it's so bad and her White version is better
>>
>>48008085
>definitely not lower cost
>every deck in modern requires 4-10x some $20-100 lands
>need your playset of lilies, or aether vials, or goyfs, or snapcasters, or voice of resurgence...

Modern is spendy, anon. Jund is among the top decks, and it's more than $1000. EDH decks really don't require many $10+ cards to have a perfectly acceptable deck, and plenty of staples are only $1-3. You can get out the door with a lot of decks that are under $200 and play well against much more expensive decks. You CAN make a EDH deck that is ridiculously expensive, but it's not a prerequisite to avoid getting your shit pushed in without being able to put up a fight. I dunno much about standard, but my understanding is that top decks cost $500, and you can play them for all of 8 months?

Let's not talk about legacy. EDH is the everyman's casual format.
>>
>>48010126
You aren't cute or funny, you're just annoying.
>>
>>48014568
Well someone has to win. That's the nature of the game after all. The difference is intent. The group hug player isn't really picking out anyone specific and colluding with them. The king maker is purposefully picking a player and riding their coattail to second place before turning on them with something like Insurrection. It is a valid strategy but it can certainly be annoying.
>>
>>48011607
Illusionists Bracers
>>
>>48014645
But said only guy is pretty garnering the benefits from said grouphugging, that makes it kingmaker. Grouphugging would be intentionally giving everyone a benefit albeit maybe unfair depending on hand or deck like braids conjurer, if the problem comes down to said group hugger benefiting only person it is kingmaker and your group being fairly shit. Maybe find a new group or adapt
>>
>>48014568

There is no need to be contrary for the sake of being contrary anon.

Of course it's kingmaking. The point is that:
* It disguises itself to not appear to be kingmaking
* Group hug players may lack the intelligence or awareness to know that their deck is just a kingmaker variant.
* The player who benefits from the kingmaking is encouraged to make a shitty deck.

Group hug is the more mature version of playground-style gameplay variants like "all mana down." They are designed to ignore the basics of game flow for children that can't enjoy a game unless their deck has every big card they like in it.
>>
File: best aunt.jpg (36 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
best aunt.jpg
36 KB, 223x310
>>48014193
>>48014193
I think this would be better with wort the raid mother
>>
Can someone provide me with some auto includes for a monoblue deck?

I want to make a a deck around mistform ultimus but don't usually play monoblue so I have no idea what should go into it.
>>
So going off what that one guy started, anyone else coming up with Stand names for their decks?
>>
>>48014721
>Maybe find a new group or adapt

That's the extra-shitty part about all this. Adapting to a group hug meta involves trying to milk the hug player as hard as possible. There are no good outcomes to this. Either you create an inbred metagame where mana doesn't exist and every player is basically playing yugioh, or you end up being a dick to players that are content with a metagame of shitty fatties being over-accelerated when nobody know how to truly abuse the extra resources.

I'm not going to say any playgroups style is inherently wrong or badfun, but a group hug meta is just not well suited to players that know the game well.
>>
So the arms race has started in my play group, what can/should i do? Is scion of the ur dragon reanimator something i should be worried about?
>>
>>48014470
Not him but l-list, please?
>>
>>48014840
friends

oh wait
>>
>>48014840
his name starts with C and ends with 'onsecrated Sphinx'
>>
>>48014908
Ah, the arms race. I wouldn't expect Hermit Druid right away unless you know someone in your group who broke and just absolutely needs to win every game now.
>>
>>48014721
We are arguing semantics at this point. You are correct that in a given playgroup that does not actively rotate cards often that one deck (the combo player usually, they love digging harder for their pieces and having more mana to go off sooner) will benefit more but since the grouphug player is flooding everyone with more resources as long as players can recognize this fact they have more chances to stop the leader with their excess cards and mana. Kingmaker decks are more likely to use cards akin to Trade Secrets (I know the card is banned can't think of a decent legal example.) Or actively try to donate someone a Consphinx then clone it. The idea being that the game actually turns into a 1vs1 by getting so far ahead of all the other players they become moot. It's important to distinguish because they are different strategies.
>>
>>48014885
Does he have no other decks or is your friend truly such a degenerate that he has only one commander deck?
>>
>>48014988
Im already archenemy because i like hydras and im thinking i should just accept it and go as opressive as i can since i'll be targeted anyway.
>>
>never draw lands with 40 lands
>always draw lands with 34
why live
>>
>>48014985
Oh yeah. Best sphinx,
>>
File: I seem to have Stopped Caring.gif (498 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
I seem to have Stopped Caring.gif
498 KB, 500x500
>>48015174
>Playgroup can't handle hydras
Yeah they need to git some gud, let it progress.
>>
>>48014474
I actually have a question about Phelddagrif: If you drop a Sword of X&Y on him that has one of the colors in his abilities box, can he not use his abilities anymore? There's no mention of targeting in his rules text so I'm assuming no
>>
>>48014840
Sol Ring
Because EDH is really a 98 card format
>>
My main problem with these new meld cards are just how susceptible to bounce they are.
> oh, you just spent all that for that
> let me see you do it again! For two mana
>>
>>48015426
None of Phelddagrif's abilities target it. Protection on Phelddagrif himself is irrelevant. Protection/Shroud on your opponents would prevent you from targeting them with Phelddagrif, but no, protection on the hippo himself is irrelevant.
>>
>>48015480
Thought so, thanks fella
>>
>>48015426
Protection only stops you damaging, enchanting, equipping, fortifying, blocking, or targeting the card or player with protection.
Phelddagriff targets opponents, so you should be fine to load him up with Swords of Debt and Money
>>
>>48015472
Once their on the field though they just come together unless its the land.
>>
>>48015472
Brisela is only susceptible to bounce spells costing more than 3 mana.
>>
>>48015472
It's the same thing with any fatty. Only difference is it's harder to cheat them both into play.
>>
File: Image.png (143 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
143 KB, 223x311
Is there a term for when a deck keeps on getting modified and "improved" but just keeps getting worse and worse? My friend has an EDH deck of pick related and it's useless now. It started off simple, but had great synergy, balance, and a perfect curve. He kept on adding more expensive and "powerful" cards, but the deck lost the synergy, balance, and curve and is now a clunky mess of "gruul goodstuff".
>>
Does Trinisphere let you cast cards through Brisela's effect?
>>
>>48015626
It's harder to cheat them in and harder to just flat out PLAY them. Even 'fairly' I can just re-cast my guy the turn after you bounce him with a normal fatty (less so if I cheated him, but still)

With Brisela I have to either discard Gisela and then cast Bruna, or spend 11 fucking mana to get my Brisela back.
>>
>>48015670
Does paying 3 for a spell change the CMC?

Non-Socratic answer: No. The CMC is the sum total of symbols in the top right of the card. Whether you're paying 0, U, WUBRG, or two fire Energy, a Brainstorm has a CMC of 1.
>>
>>48015670
no trinishphere doesn't change CMC it just adds an additional cost to casting a spell affected by it
>>
>>48015714

I think it's technically not an additional cost, it's its own thing, for instance additional costs can be reduced with cost reduction, but trinisphere always means 3 mana spent
>>
What would good voltron cards be for lazav
>>
>>48014036
Brigid deathtouch tribal
A+
>>
>>48015952
Buy everyone in your playgroup an eldrazi titan for their decks
>>
>>48015952
Trepanantion Blade
>>48016072
Lawl
>>
>>48008062
Way late to the party, but got a list? Finally got a Dakkon after looking for years and wanting to build a sweet voltron deck for him
>>
File: 196.jpg (67 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
196.jpg
67 KB, 312x445
>>48014036
SON OF A BITCH
>>
>>48014036
>Saffi
Far from my style, but I could make it work.
>>
I want to build a Yosava deck with cards like Tempting Wurm, Weird Harvest, Boldwyn Heavyweights and maybe Blue Braids. Anyone know any other cards in a similar vein to these?
>>
>>48014925
>>48014470
>>48014519
Sure, but fair warning, I did say it was bad. It is missing some important utility cards.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/basandra-edh-2/
>>
>>48016391
Your mana curve looks like it could use a bit of work and 35 lands three manafacts seems kinda low for your average cmc to me but it does look fun.
>>
>>48016291
Show and Tell, if you can afford it. Hypergenesis, Eureka.
>>
Are there finally enough werewolves to make a R/G werewolf EDH deck? They just spoilered a commander.
>>
>>48016483
It honestly hasn't been a problem. Burnished Hart helps a lot. But fair.
>>
>>48016529
Breh that guy's been spoiled for a minute now

And he's AWFUL
>>
>>48016566
Don't care. Werewolves are awesome
>>
File: 1328025056048.gif (8 KB, 564x391) Image search: [Google]
1328025056048.gif
8 KB, 564x391
>>48016653
>Werewolves are awesome

>rely on no one playing spells on their turns to get flipped
>Moonmist is the only thing that can activate a flip
>if anyone plays 2 spells on their turn your shit flips back

They suck. You might as well just play Humans
>>
>>48015633
I'd say it "losing focus" is the best term for the deck
>>
>>48016550
My own list sits at 38 lands and 4 manafacts with a 3.27 average cmc. This is the count I've found the most consistency with but then again gold fishing through a computer program I've always found to be suspect. Feels like they flood or screw you way more often than the physical product.
>>
>>48016715
Let the man have his fun. Werewolf have a pretty unique gimmik compared to other tribes. Plus they tend to have synergies with human tribal stuff and wolves so I you can pull off some pretty interesting thinges even if they aren't tier 1.
>>
>>48016566

That's an exaggeration. Ulrich isn't on the level of Prossh, but he is still a slightly undercosted creature.

Not every commander has to be an insane build-around card. My roomie plays a Surrak Dragonclaw deck, and it performs well against relatively competitive decks.

Keep in mind that huntmaster was an $6 mythic before four copies of it won a pro tour. Ulrich isn't quite as good as huntmaster, but the masses severely under-evaluate werewolves for some reason. The same thing happened with duskwatch recruiter and lambholt pacifist.

He may see a small amount of constructed play. Creatures that double as situational removal have historically been viable even with very weak bodies.
>>
>>48016529
I played a semi casual werewolf deck in standard for the original Innistrad, occasionally smashed players, but that was by reliably getting immerwolves and moonmosts for the transformation. Couldn't imagine it working in edh outside of magical Christmas land
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.