[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ysg/-Yog-Sothotherey General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 89
File: Nyarlathotep.jpg (85 KB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
Nyarlathotep.jpg
85 KB, 400x550
Ia! Ia! /ysg/!

Dooting with Nyarlathotep Edition

This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian /tg/ (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.

(Are you pleased now?)

Previous Thread:
>>47891078

The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
http://www.eldritchdark.com
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>Recommend things to put in the next OP

>Mr. Servitor, doot doot.

>Cthulhu lies fapping

>Please create a new thread when the Bump Limit has been reached and we are in the Lower Pages.
>If you don't horrors beyond your comprehension will shitpost.
>>
How close is the Conan universe to Lovecraft?
>>
File: 1466546978705.jpg (260 KB, 770x954) Image search: [Google]
1466546978705.jpg
260 KB, 770x954
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpqmoBYkQfc
>>
>>47980468
It's hard to say. If they're not the same universe, then they're next door universes with a lot of overlap.

http://www.epberglund.com/RGttCM/nightscapes/NS08/ns8nf1.htm - This is the best guide to the subject.
>>
>>47980534
Thanks man.
>>
>>47980422
We will never have a sensible Mythos thread again as long as there are these pointless shitthreads.
>>
>>47980835
We need a Yog-Sothothery bait pic.
>>
Lovecraft Space Opera:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LJ_beiUVa7mpeKJGPBvH2yQCMDVWXLGawz4K39Rea8Q/edit
>>
File: image.jpg (177 KB, 960x549) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
177 KB, 960x549
>>47981327
By Flash Gordon
>>
>>47980835
What did he mean by this?
>>
so im going to start making my own scenario, my friends just finished the haunting of mr corbitt, how do you suggest going about this, beyond a beginning, middle, end structure
>>
File: image.png (271 KB, 892x720) Image search: [Google]
image.png
271 KB, 892x720
Threadly Reminder that: Cthulhu is a fat preacher who has been sleeping in his house for all this time
>>
File: Making Horror Scenarios.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Making Horror Scenarios.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47982759
>>
Why not Azathothery?
>>
>>47984522
Because Azathoth is a boring faggot and Yog-Sothoth is the one Lovecraft wrote shit about. It's what he actually called his own universe.
>>
>>47984532
Oh, whoa, really?

I actually didn't know that; thanks!
>>
>>47984522
Azathoth dreamed it up, Yog- Sothoth is the Dream.
>>47984532
Nyarly stop being salty.
>>
>>47984624
>>47984532
Nyarly, just because you get to destroy the universe one day doesn't mean you get to act like this. Come on now..
>>
>>47984770
Bump
>>
Hey does anyone have those D&D 5e Lovecraft homebrews? Greatly appreciated.
>>
>>47986662
I have them, because I made them. Assuming these are the ones you're talking about (i also have ones made by somebody else).
>>
File: IoOG_WIP.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
IoOG_WIP.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47987225
This one's still unfinished. I should write some info on the monsters (that's a bitch to do formatting-wise, so I've been postponing that), and add maybe some more stuff (more spells if I get some good ideas, and I've been thinking of making rules for Lovecraftian ghouls as a PC race).
>>
>>47987242
And here's the stuff done by some other guy. His is probably better, although more based on the CoC RPG.
>>
File: Lovecraft Update.compressed.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Lovecraft Update.compressed.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47987289
He also did this.
>>
>>47987242
Lovecraftian Ghouls would be amazing, but arent they rather huge lanky dog people?

Seems they could be pretty strong.
>>
>>47987364
They seem to vary in size; the ones Carter meets in "Dream Quest" and most of the ones in Pickamn's paintings seemd to be roughly human-sized, but the one that the narrator in "Pickamn's Model" sees appears to be a lot bigger. Maybe they grow as they get older.

Was thinking of giving them +2 Con +1 Str, and immunity to diseases and being poisononed, to reflect them being pretty tough and being carrion-eaters (and thus naturally resistant to the kinds of diseases and food poisoning eating rotten meat tends to give you).5th edition doesn't really do stat penalties, but I'd probably have to work out something to reflect that they're creepy corpse-eating dog-people, and thus not something most people would want to have anything to do with.
>>
>>47955625
>>47956316

asking this question again, or just posting it as advice for people wanting to do this for games
>>
>>47988561
Disadvantage when using Charisma (Persuasion)?
>>
Anyone know of a good investigation-based scenario for Delta Green / Modern Times featuring Shub-Niggurath?

I need something that will help new players learn a little about her and her followers. I could also use some ideas as to how Shub-Niggurath worship might work in the modern age.
>>
>>47982790
An image I can aspire to.
>>
So /tg/ I've been thinking about game mechanics lately and I wondered, what would your ideal lovecraftian rpg have?

For me it would probably be:
>relatively detailed mechanics for mental effects on character
>some way of characters becoming permanently changed in non-debilitating ways
>easy monster creation
>some rules for mythos magic that don't just make it feel overly common or punishing
>>
>>47989311
Not really sure how Shub-worship would work in modern times. The way I see it (and admittably, like just about everything about the Outer Gods, this is mostly headcanon/fanon), Shub-Niggurath is a primal force of nature (and life in general). The concept she represents is entirely antitethical to civilization. She's the "red in tooth and claw", "survival of the fittest" kind of nature, where everythign it trying to kill you, probably in some gruesome and painful way. She's all the things we built civilization to protect us against. Her followers would probably be more interested in tearing down our so-called civilization and returning us to the way nature intented to live.

I've always considered the following quote from Lovecraft's Commonplace Book (random notes and story ideas he had written down, which got published after his death) to sum up Shub-Niggurath pretty well: ”Death—its desolation and horror—bleak spaces—sea-bottom—dead cities. But Life—the greater horror! Vast unheard-of reptiles and leviathans—hideous beats of prehistoric jungle—rank slimy vegetation—evil instincts of primal man—Life is more horrible than death.”
>>
>>47990026
I heartly second yours with more Dreamlands.
>>
>>47984770
>>47984624
Nyarlathotep seems like he'd love 4chan.
>>
>>47991723
>Nyarly spends aeons fucking with the development of humankind for shits and giggles
>Finally gets lost in the world of shitposting and memes that is 4chan
What a twist.
>>
>>47982759
I was always fond of crimes that seemed mundane until investigated. Rapes where unknown DNA is found. Murder where the autopsy discovers multiple hearts or no brain. So on and so forth.
>>
>>47991797
Nyarlathotep has an infinite amount of masks, it's just another past time for him.
>>
>>47989311
>>47990368
Check the God's Teeth campaign on RPPR, Shub-Niggurath related cults are in a few of the episodes.
>>
It was late at night when it started,

I had changed the channel over to 42, with a black screen when I heard the voice.

It was feminine and was intercut by silence repeatedly for randomized intervals.

"He- Watch-Always Grin-Stop Laugh-Bundy."

>A rough concept for a Horror
>>
>>47992138
infinite masks and they are all posting on 4chan

/pol/ just gnarly hotep endlessly trolling himself
>>
>>47993490
So that's what the Nyarlathotep Cycle is.
>>
>>47992931
Rather insubstantial.
>>
Hey guys, looking for advice/approval of the approach to moonbeasts for my current delta green campaign.

Currently my players are investigating sighting of odd lights, dark beams, and non-euclidian shit happening to the moon in a VERY small cdp in Pennsylvania. Story is that wealthy landowner markus dempsey is a dreamer that has grown a sick deification toward the moon beasts, namely the tentacled parasitea that manafest on their faces. Using rituals both dreamland and native american (eerie tbspecific) he is attempting to coordinate their arrival with a fireworks display at the local jamboree to take over a good portion of the town. Sound ok?
>>
>>47990026
Interesting. I definitely want to emphasize the aspect with birth/rebirth/metamorphosis/body horror if I can.

I've been reading the Delta Green books and they suggest that Shub-Nig could be worshiped by New Age waves since she is normally associated with pagan gods of fertility. This lead me to associate it with the shotgun scenario I've wanted to run, "I Hate My Job."

http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/i-hate-my-job

What I want to do is make Mrs. Judy Kleier into a woman that was influenced by Shub-Niggurath into someone that has been influenced by Shub to turn the children (and herself) into carriers of what could be (but won't be directly shown to be) a Dark Young.

I thought of two images I want to startle my characters with:

1. A 5 year old boy, rubbing his belly, saying "Soon I will be mummy, just like Mrs. Kleiner!" with a smile on his face.

2. Mrs. Kleiner, laughing and dancing, as her belly explodes in a mass of ropey tentacles and intestines. Meanwhile, the children are sitting in a circle around her laughing and clapping.

So yeah, very fucked up situation to be in.

However, I want that to be the second brush with Shub-Nig for the investigators. Since that scenario seems very roleplaying heavy, I want something more investigative for their first scenario, where they slowly reveal clues pointing to a Shub-Niggurath influence.

I was thinking of doing something with either a fecundity satyr that is the head of a cult, OR do something with Shub-Nig's milk. Perhaps as a component in a drug that has taken the streets and leads to Bad Things.

>>47992450
I'll check it out, thanks.
>>
>>47994656
Well there are a few questions that immediately pop up. How does A-Cell get tipped regarding those events? What do the agents find that links the case to something that may be supernatural?

Similarly, the DG agents are going to need clues to know how to stop the ritual, and the means to deal with the moonbeasts if necessary.

Not sure what way you want to use the Moonbeasts, perhaps by showing their airships or by letting the agents meet some Leng slaves beforehand? It would still be hard to piece together what's going on though, unless they have more knowledge about what the Dreamlands may be.
>>
>>47994662
>What I want to do is make Mrs. Judy Kleier into a woman that was influenced by Shub-Niggurath into someone that has been influenced by Shub to turn the children (and herself) into carriers of what could be (but won't be directly shown to be) a Dark Young.

That was a brainfart on my part. I mean to say that I am changing the thing possessing Mrs. Kleier to be Shub-Niggurath instead of just an unknown entity.
>>
>>47994767
My agents are a part of "the program" so travel and cover are decent. For this mission they are posing as epa agents collecting data on ground water and soil samples along route 66. One of our contacts within the program was tipped off by a friendly, one Norman chautuck, scout master for troop #581.
>>
>>47995033
I think that a good way to have characters know information about what's really going on, even if they don't ahve all the answers, would be to introduce a character who wants to work with them or use them to his own needs, that is in a different camp from Markus Dempsey.

For example, say it's one of the Serpent People that wants something Markus Dempsey has (let's say his autographed copy of the Necronomicon) and also wants to stop the summoning from happening. He'd try to help the PCs by being very cryptic yet at the same time manipulating them for his own needs.

Now, you could replace that Serpent Person with pretty much any other Cthulhu mythos entity that deals with humans on a regular basis (a mind-controlling Yithian, a ghoul, a Mi-Go, or even just a really inquisitive Phenomen-X reporting team) and you now have a way to drip-feed information to the players.
>>
>>47994662
I quess for simple introduction you could do something like some new-age cult gone bad, where things escalate from the usual (naked dancing on the moonlight, or whatever the fuck those wiccans get up to) to kidnapping children to sacrifice to the Allmother. Have the PCs uncover the cult and stop them, gaining some insight to the being they claim to worship while questioning them. At this point I think things should still be mostly mundane, the PCs having every reason to dismiss the cultists as a bunch of loonies. Maybe there was one or two odd things, nothing that can't be rationalized away, but which might hint at something darker at work than a few mentally unstable hippies.
Then later they'll encounter stuff that matches the stuff they learned from the cultists and can no longer be explained with mundane means.
>>
>>47995363
Hmm, might do something like this. Since there's gonna be children in the second scenario, maybe I'll make this one have older victims. Like, perhaps sorority house kidnappings, or prostitute killings.

Good idea.
>>
>>47995363
Another thing one could do in a longer, slow-paced campaign that I think could be cool if one would get it to work would be to do slow buildup of seemingly unconnected events. Not really good for the purpose of introducing the PCs to Shub-Niggurath worship, but could be nice for setting up the theme.

Basically, as her cultists are working on some big ritual, the attention of Shub-Niggurath is drawn onto the world, causing things to start happening. Small, seemingly unconnected and inconsequential things at first, all tied with the common theme of life/fecundity. Describe the plants being unusually vibrant for the time of the year (leaves and flowers appearring unusually early in the spring, trees not loosing their leaves despite autum apporaching). Somebody notes that there's more insects around than usual. Newspaper makes note of higher than average number of twins born in the local hospital. Farmers have been getting a very good harvest this year. Local preacher expresses concern over increase in "immoral behaviour" among the youth, and teen pregnancy rates (and pregnancies in general, if one bother to look at the full statistics) are indeed on rise. Reports of strange activity in the woods. Random, pretty mundane, but slightly out of the norm stuff.

Then, over time things start to get a little weirder. Stuff you find in the "mad world" section of the newspaper. Local farmer's goat gives birth to some weird deformed thing that dies on birth. Another farmer has grown extremely large fruits, but sadly they taste terrible. Some lady is reported to be pregnant with octuplets. You swear you mowed the lawn yesterday, but the garden is still a mess. The branches of the trees seem to sway independently of the wind. People have been reported to go missing, with rumour of devil-worshipers performing rituals in the woods. Eventually things would get even more weird, with outright body horror and stuff.
>>
File: CARTER (1).png (2 MB, 1500x1818) Image search: [Google]
CARTER (1).png
2 MB, 1500x1818
>>47996006
Holy shit. That actually sounds really good, and something I could tie up into a Shub-Niggurath campaign nicely. Probably gonna steal this.

I think I'm not gonna make it worldwide or even continent-wide though. Just the approximate geographical region where the PCs are, in this case the U.S. Northeast..
>>
>>47996215
That's what I was implying. Localized increase in weird phenomena caused by Shub-Niggurath's influence "radiating" into the surroundings due to her cultists' activity. Would be a nice way to show the power of the Outer Gods, where just attracting their attention will have an effect on the surrounding area.
>>
Any tips for a running a CoC game? I wanted to run a one-shot for some old friends, but there will also be 2 people I've never played with.

4 players seems ideal, but there will be 7 this time.
>>
>>47996613
Be very laid back 99% of times, but the horrific moments must
1) be graphic about gore/fucked-up-nesss
2) hide otherworldy beings in the shadows
that's because your players' imagination and paranoia is better than your ability to describe what cannot be conceived
>>
>>47996613

Give them some time before the game to talk between themselves and socialize, while you explain the rules and such. People will want to make small chat if they are meeting up, so don't rush the game on them and instead wait for things to quiet down before starting the game.

Make a social contract right from the beginning. Explain to the group that since this is a horror game humor and out of character discussion should be kept to a minimum. It might seem like a very small thing, but this will keep everyone on the same page and establish a ground rule.

Encourage note-writing for OOC conversation. This provides an alternative to table banter, and might actually work better with larger groups of people.

Try to always refer to players by their PC's name. Again, it's a small detail but it will help players get inside the mind of their character. Don't say "So what do you do now, Charlie?" but instead "So what does Professor Moriarty do?"

Keep an eye for players who don't participate much and try to get them to participate. If they don't participate they might get bored and start talking outside the table. During the game, ask them "So what do you think of the plan?" or "What is your character doing during all this?" to get them interested in the game and their character.

Forget about initiative, run combat by going clockwise or counter-clockwise by table seating.

Also, if you are new to the system use the Keeper's Screen to have the rules on hand at all times and/or keep a cheat sheet handy for yourself and for the players.
>>
i have 3 hours to cobble together an encounter to play tonight /ysg/ help
>>
>>47997739

Players are passengers on a luxury cruise liner. Hell you could do an alt-history where the Titanic gets swallowed up the mythos.
>>
>>47997739
Do The Haunting, it's in the sourcebook of all the CoC editions.
>>
eldritch bump
>>
File: 1466867823985.jpg (163 KB, 657x610) Image search: [Google]
1466867823985.jpg
163 KB, 657x610
Hastur is here.
>>
>>47997903
Who says that's an alt history?
>>
>>48000052
Randolph Carter pls.
>>
>>47999416
Go home Hastur.
>>
>>47999416
No one likes you.
>>
File: fuck-off-hastur-v2_2.gif (3 MB, 640x720) Image search: [Google]
fuck-off-hastur-v2_2.gif
3 MB, 640x720
>>47999416
>>
>>48001526
>>48001390
>>48001280
Don't bully Hastur! It's unspeakable!
>>
File: 3dli2AF.gif (6 MB, 1000x670) Image search: [Google]
3dli2AF.gif
6 MB, 1000x670
>>48001390
the same could be said about you.
>>
File: 1464639791905.jpg (358 KB, 650x742) Image search: [Google]
1464639791905.jpg
358 KB, 650x742
>>48001280
>>48001526
>>48001916
>>48001924
You all are faggots, I, Nyarlathotep, am the best.
PRAISE MEEEE!
>>
File: 1465851625705.jpg (137 KB, 500x647) Image search: [Google]
1465851625705.jpg
137 KB, 500x647
>>48001916
>unspeakable
You deserve a rare Lovecraft anon.
>>
File: Dagon4.jpg (249 KB, 553x720) Image search: [Google]
Dagon4.jpg
249 KB, 553x720
>>48002114
Oh please, you're nothing. No literately, you embody nothing. At least my followers managed to do something.
>>
File: Yig.jpg (81 KB, 553x720) Image search: [Google]
Yig.jpg
81 KB, 553x720
>>47999416
>>48002114
>>48002467
Why does no one ever invite me to these family reunions?
>>
>>48002467
You get mistaken for Big C so often it hurts. Just go back to your obilesk... or was that even you, you're just so forgetable.
>>
Last thread's writefag going on about serpent men in the moon and the cruel empire of tsan-chan got me looking for more dark future cthulhian stuff. I found a copy of Cthulhu Rising, Once Men, Jovian Nightmares, and CEoTC. Is there anything else people would recommend or know about that's similar?
>>
>>48003328

Fictional or game resource, anything really.
>>
Laundryverse counts for this thread, right?
>>
File: 1465781456697.jpg (147 KB, 682x1023) Image search: [Google]
1465781456697.jpg
147 KB, 682x1023
Are there any Lovecraft entities that just wish and make it their one true goal to eliminate all life in it's various forms? Something akin to a god or an Old One, anything?
>>
File: 1466232788212.png (646 KB, 1170x1600) Image search: [Google]
1466232788212.png
646 KB, 1170x1600
>>48004137
Well, Nyarlathotep has apparently made it his goal (or at least his hobby) to troll the everloving fuck out of all forms of life he encounters, which more often than not ends up with everybody getting killed because he taught people how to make nukes for fun.

Nyarlathotep is a colossal dick.
>>
>>48004137
Well, Azathoth is certainly destructive but not in the "I desire to destroy things" manner but rather because he is the essence of destruction. He has no choice in the matter and no reasoning, he is simply the blind, unthinking chaos of uncreation.
>>
>>48003380
Yup.
>>
>>48006041
Which is really funny because he created the Universe in his dreams.
>>
>>47994662
>>47992450
>>47990368
>>47989311
Look up the Unibomber Manifesto.
http://cyber.eserver.org/unabom.txt
He was clearly a Shubby fan.
>>
The Music of Erich Zann, why is this so fucking spoopy? Any other recommendations?
>>
File: image.jpg (325 KB, 596x842) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
325 KB, 596x842
>>48006298
The Color out of Space and Rats in the Walls.
>>
>>47995242
A Yithian, Ghoul or Serpent Man would all work but the character of the campaign will change heavily depending on the exact entity. Yithians could be either cryptic as all hell or be a party member that never gets discovered. A Ghoul would require a whole different back story and means of communication. The Serpent Man could go alot like the Yithian but implies an extremely dangerous campaign and/or adventure.: What the hell is going on that it can't solve the problem itself?
>>
>>47987225
As a suggestion, would Yithian mindswap work better as a Sorcerous Origin?

Picking up weird mental magic from swapping minds with an eldritch being seems appropriate.
>>
>>48008715
I like that actually.
>>
>>48008836
Yeah, you can even phrase it in a fantasy context if you want.
"Demon Ridden.
A vile demon has possessed your body, and although you are now back in control of it, the fiend left its mark. For years it was in control, using you to work its strange an unnatural plans, while your friends and family thought you had gone mad.
All the while, your soul was in its hellish realm, where its kin tortured you for information, making you write all you knew into one of their horrific codices. Eventually, you were set free, but your time enslaved has left its mark, and you possess a measure of the demons' foul power."
>>
>>48008283
Indeed, if a guy is trying to contact the moonbeasts and is willing to sacrifice a small town for it, then it's probably something big. Also remember that Ghouls and Serpent people could probably use an illusion spell to hide their identity. A Mi-Go could use a Grey to talk to the PCs, which would be a very strange interaction.
>>
>>48006041
I thought that was Nyarlathotep's thing. He being orderly distribution and Azathoth being chaotic creation.
>>
>>48010751
*cough* destruction *cough*
>>
>>48010751
>>48010811
He is Azathoth or a facet of him. So...
>>
This seems like the best place to ask- Does anyone know when the next chapter of An Elder Sister is coming out?
>>
>>48011349
How many times do we have to fucking repeat this.
>>
>>48013133
Wouldn't that mean that all of them are the Trinity making up God?
>>
>>48009964
Moon Beasts invading the waking world? A Ghoul would be damn useful since they can not only enter the dreamlands they can take others with them. A Serpent Man can do the same, a large number of Moon Beasts would be something he would want to get right the fuck off his planet while probably requiring some monkey cannon fodder...Er i mean helpful humans.

A Yithian might be at a disadvantage, i don't think 'natural creatures' not native to earth like Yithians or Elder Things can enter the earths dreamlands unless they physically enter.
>>
>>48013626
Probably. God in the Bible is pretty weird.
>>
Im planning on running Horror on the Orient Express soon, do you guys have any keeper journals or similar so i can get an idea of how it should play out?
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 780x1100) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 780x1100
>>48015234
Yup, he's what Yog-Sothoth was directly based off of.
>>
File: Hello again, my old friend.jpg (136 KB, 754x1059) Image search: [Google]
Hello again, my old friend.jpg
136 KB, 754x1059
I'm not dead!
>THE NASCENT EMPIRE OF TSAN-CHAN
In time, the Cruel Empire of Tsan-Chan will be a horrible colossus, ruled by monstrosities, protected by continent-scale sorceries. It will have vast armies, dark sciences, contiguous borders.
In the year 5,000 A.D., when it has lasted three thousand years, The Cruel Empire of Tsan Chan will be a terror indeed. Right now, however, you cannot even say that it exists with confidence.
There was no central 'Divine Warrior' project; dozens of desperate governments and other large organizations each inaugurated their own programs independently, with their own sources of lore and own approaches. The Serpent-Men who had infiltrated each of these programs in various guises kept in touch with each other, of course, but they allowed each program to blunder along its separate paths.
When the final moment of decision arrived, each program reacted differently. The Quecha program opted for a direct assault on Cthulhu as he rose, trying to lobotomize him and render him alive yet harmless, and accomplished nothing. The Egyptians, deriving much of their program from communication with the Yith and certain pre-human ruins, created time-manipulating Warriors and attempted to catapult their entire country into the distant future, when the stars will be wrong once more. The Rif Republic attempted to transform their entire populations into star-spawn.
Other programs. Other approaches. Other goals. Dozens of them.
It is perhaps simply the result of good advice and long experience that the projects which relied most heavily on Serpent-Men and put them in positions of authority prospered, while those which attempted to make their own way suffered from mysterious setbacks. Perhaps.
But nobody believes it.
>>
File: mountain of bodies.jpg (394 KB, 2487x1057) Image search: [Google]
mountain of bodies.jpg
394 KB, 2487x1057
>>48016586
Thus, about half a dozen projects remain, scattered from China to Venezuela. Or they were; now they consolidate, gathering in one spot, the largest and most successful of the programs- China.
(This was hardly a painless process- the trek of the Venezuelans in particular, either across a Pacific made wild and strange by the rising of R’lyeh, Deep Ones and star-spawn and kraken and worse rising with it, or across the entire length of Central and North America, then across the polar sea ice and down across Siberia… manna from heaven generally isn’t supposed to wriggle, but needs must. That nearly half of the original million refugees made it was a literal miracle.)
Who’s in charge? The Divine Warriors themselves are all bound as heavily as they can be by mortal sorceries, in as many different ways as could be imagined. The bonds loosen; but they are still more-or-less subordinate. (Besides, they are kept far too busy by all the external threats to think about issues of governance.) The Serpent-Men? In positions of influence, certainly, but hardly supreme power. The generals and politicians who commanded the projects be set into motion? Events have long since outstripped them and they know it.
For the moment, necessity rules Tsan-Chan; once the situation has stabilized, then issues of seniority and command shall be hashed out. Until then, there is only work, endless makeshift, bodge-it-and-scarper. The great wards are not yet complete. In the interim, the majority of the population exists in a zombie-like state. Hypnosis, drugs, neurosurgery; it’s possible to render a human immune to Cthulhu’s psychic influence, but there is always some kind of price. It’s all mostly reversible. Material conditions frequently recall the old Kowloon Walled City; the relative ease of warding small geographic areas combine with poor access to expertise and materials to create haphazard hives.
>>
File: Mist maw.png (434 KB, 1249x1822) Image search: [Google]
Mist maw.png
434 KB, 1249x1822
>>48016610
(There are a lot of actual zombies as well. Labor shortages, many corpses, ready access to necromancers- the conclusion is inevitable.)
The shape of the nightmare to come can be seen, but for the moment Tsan-Chan is a huddled mass of refugees on the verge of extinction. The (relative) sanity of the Divine Warriors, the efficiency of their sorceries and wards, the inability of the Cthulhu cultsto coordinate major military action- if any of these factors change, the future may yet flow into a different course.

So, what next?
>>
>>48016586
youtube.com/watch?v=N_dWpCy8rdc
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 283x369) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 283x369
>>48016586
>>48016610
>>48016676
Excellent work as usual Flash.

I have a perfect one.

Ghroth the Harbinger.
>>
>>47980422
>>48016586
Can I recommend Flash's Google Doc compilation for the OP?
>>
>>48016751

The Tugging is a great story, possibly my favorite Ramsey Campbell work.
>>
File: sky fingers.jpg (153 KB, 850x1175) Image search: [Google]
sky fingers.jpg
153 KB, 850x1175
>>48016751
>GHROTH THE HARBINGER
The ability of Exodus humanity to keep tabs on potential threats originating outside the solar system is strictly limited. The near stars have received sleeper-ships and volleys of unmanned (Sometimes for highly divergent values of 'unmanned': vat-brains, intelligent undead, etc.) probes, but outside this strictly limited sphere the only options are telescopes, various forms of long-range astral projection, and buying information from the Mi-Go. All have dramatic limitations. (Telescopes are limited by light-speed delay and resolution, astral projection provides a single human ground-level viewpoint, and the Mi-Go both charge exorbitantly and often misunderstand the question. If asked, 'is there anything interesting about Planet X', they may well respond with a lovingly detailed survey of mineral resources with 'Oh, and there's a Major Arcana of Yog-Sothoth there too' tacked on at the end. This may, in fact, be a deliberate ploy to get more money.)
However, there are a handful of entities which warrant the incredible expense and risk of regular surveillance across interstellar distances. Ghroth the Harbinger is one.
Its Music of the Spheres awakens slumbering gods across entire regions of space; for humanity, this represents an existential threat. There will be nowhere to run, and humanity has not developed the techniques of stasis needed to simply wait out the threat. The Yithians project their minds across time, the Mi-Go can retreat to their home dimension, the Elder Things simply loiter in the interstellar darkness; the closest humanity has is cryogenics and a bit of necromancy. Not enough. Nothing that can be trusted to span the megayears.
Fortunately, Ghroth is distant, thousands and thousands of light-years away. For now. He moves sub-light; should he turn towards the expanding human sphere, advance warning will give enough time to do... something. Enough time to figure something out.
(cont.)
>>
>>48017258
I find this both depressing and oddly hopeful.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
>>48016751
Best Ghroth incoming.
>>
File: pillar of flesh.jpg (156 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
pillar of flesh.jpg
156 KB, 768x1024
>>48017258
Telescopes aren't good enough; lightspeed delay, plus the fact that Ghroth is small, stealthy, and highly mobile. The Mi-Go observe his movements only indirectly, and refuse to take a closer look at any price. (Only sensible.)
Thus, astral projection, in all its various forms: long Dream-treks, prophetic visions of past and future, strange teleportations (primarily through Yithian, Mi-Go, and stranger artifacts), this one crystal-jelly telescope lens that bends time-
End result is all the same. You end up, only halfway there, on a distant alien planet. Things scream. Lights and shadows cavort on the horizon. There is the suggestion of eyes growing out of the rocks.
Look up at the sky. Try to find a rust-covered moon with a single immense eye. Take a bunch of pictures and get out.
Success is... moderate. Attaching an actual normal-space location to a prophetic dream is difficult, but cross-referencing multiple sighting has narrowed it down to around the Kappa Crucis cluster- thankfully six thousand light-years away.
But- estimates of Ghroth's speed and range are still tentative. Who knows how fast that could change.
Surveillance is complicated by the fact that it requires getting reliable reports back from the most god-infested regions of space. Even without being near Earth, Ghroth has still claimed the lives and sanity of hundreds. Still, the psychonauts continue to be sent out- a bit of knowledge is more than worth the lives, when the stakes are this high.
>>
>>48017810
>You end up, only halfway there, on a distant alien planet. Things scream. Lights and shadows cavort on the horizon. There is the suggestion of eyes growing out of the rocks.
>Look up at the sky. Try to find a rust-covered moon with a single immense eye. Take a bunch of pictures and get out.
My prophecy came true!
>>48017772
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (8 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
8 KB, 320x180
>>48017810
>pillar of flesh
So Chtrug'gha, Xel-lotath, and Ulyaoth are dead, what happened to Mantorok?
>>
>>48017864
Most excellent, are member of the Church of Starry Wisdom or something?
>>
>>48017908
Nah I just sleep a lot.
>>
>>48017925
Fucking Dreamquesters.
>>
>>48017889
Don't know him. Google says something about a video game?
>>
File: image.jpg (392 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
392 KB, 1400x1400
>>47999416
Knowing the nature of the dark gods ruined it

Anyone else write their own/use obscure deities in their game?

http://www.drabblecast.org/2014/08/21/drabblecast-336-mouth-god/
>>
File: eternaldarkness-screenshot[1].jpg (12 KB, 400x298) Image search: [Google]
eternaldarkness-screenshot[1].jpg
12 KB, 400x298
>>48017996
Great mythos-esque game, only good game Silicon Knights came up with.
>>
>>48018023
Bro, I fucking rock Cthugha and Y'golonac on a regular basis.
>>
>>48018115
I cannot take Cthugha seriously, sound too much like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu3aQZKzzJg
>>
>>48018115
You've never made your own deity to suit your game?
>>
>>48018143
May I present Y'rham, the Lost Soul. A traveler similar to the Wandering Jew except interstellar. Interested?
>>
>>48018132
Or the sound an Eldritch Horror makes when it sees an a mate.

I wonder how hard Cthugua got bullied by other Great Old Ones...
>>
>>48018250
Often and Nyarlathotep levels.
>>
File: s-2265.jpg (161 KB, 1000x1253) Image search: [Google]
s-2265.jpg
161 KB, 1000x1253
What's everyone's opinion on the king in yellow? Could you base a game on the various vignettes ?
>>
>>48019714
Yes you can. What era do you want to set the scenario in?
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 475x263) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 475x263
>>48019714
Yes
>>
>>48019899
The time period in the novel~turn of the century.
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 553x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 553x720
>>48019964
>>48019714
Hastur is the toppest of tiers my friend. Wanting to use him is excellent taste.
>>
File: 14910866.jpg (66 KB, 500x526) Image search: [Google]
14910866.jpg
66 KB, 500x526
>>48020109
Ty anon. Have another picture
>>
File: image.gif (63 KB, 312x234) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
63 KB, 312x234
Flash Gordon...
>>
File: end of times.jpg (54 KB, 488x650) Image search: [Google]
end of times.jpg
54 KB, 488x650
bump
>>
>>48023681
The End is NIGH.
>>
File: 100CharactersForCthulhu.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
100CharactersForCthulhu.pdf
1 B, 486x500
This pdf is almost as old as Cthulhu himself, I've seen it in nearly every CoC-related thread, so...
>>
>>48024765
Great Scott, the legends were true... The manuscript exists!
>>
File: CoC hooks.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
CoC hooks.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
How do you guys make/structure your CoC adventures? CoC is generally very investigation-heavy (or is meant to be) but it can be difficult to create a deep, interesting web of investigation like you see in some great APs out there. I'd love to hear how you guys do it.
>>
>>48026734
Well, >>47983348 is a good place to start from.
You can also read stuff like GURPS Mysteries or The Keeper's Companion.
Read articles on the web about it like "The Alexandrian - Three Clue Rule" and such.
Or just read a lot of adventures and scenarios and see what makes the good ones stand out.
>>
>>48026734
>>48027528
Continued from that, as a general rule of thumb you should keep the investigation stuff for the start, and only really up the danger and chance of dying to the end. Make it a big reveal, with all the clues leading to it. It is sometimes tempting to throw a bunch of cultists at the PCs while they are midway through investigating, but if you kill two or three players half-way through the scenario they won't care as much for their replacement characters.

Give them ample clues. Don't make them roll to FIND clues, so much as to how to interpret those clues. If they figure it out by themselves then go with that.

Don't force a final confrontation, either. Give them a good reason why they should care, but not to the point where the only way they can tackle the problem is to go in guns blazing. Encourage them to think outside the box or to look for solutions that may be safer but also with horrible consequences.

And, well, just remember that it's not as fun to outright kill characters, as it is to observe them slowly slip into insanity.
>>
>>47980500
That's an ascended sleeper, you nerd.
>>
So what are some good Lovecraftian movies? I feel like I'm running out. I've already seen the following ones that usually get recommended.

Absentia
Alien
Banshee Chapter
Cigarette Burns
Cthulhu
Die Farbe
Dagon
Dirt Dauber
Dreams in the Witch House
From Beyond
Necronomicon
Re-Animator
In the Mouth of Madness
Marebito
Noroi: The Curse
Spider Labyrinth
The Call of Cthulhu
The Dunwich Horror
The Last Wave
The Resurrected
The Whisperer in Darkness
They
>>
>>48028295
The Thing is a common recommendation. Event Horizon, too.
>>
>>48028587
See those already, I'm afraid.
>>
>>47980422
So, I'm planning a future Call of Cthulhu game, and to really throw my players through a loop, am using a completely original monster for the main plot to revolve around. Was wondering if /ysg/ could give me some feedback on said monster.

Known collectively as the Pale Queens, these servitors of Shub-Niggurath have a vaguely humanoid appearance, standing up right on two legs. They possess four arms and have faces resembling farm plows; two symmetrical, flat surfaces meeting at an edge. However, unlike humans, their limbs are greatly elongated compared to their bodies, with their legs twice the length of their torsos and their arms reaching down to their knee caps while standing up straight. The six fingers on each hand stretch outmuch longer than the palm they are connected to.
Their outward appearance is entirely white, made up of a network of chitinous plates. However, beneath these plates are a mass of red tendrils that are the true creature. The protective plates are incredibly strong, able to withstand explosives and bullets, while the tentacles seem to be the Queens' only weak points, the creatures shrieking in pain if their tentacles are struck.
The Queens live in colonies in wintry forests, the snow helping to camouflage them.
Perhaps the most terrifying aspect of them, however, is their method of reproduction. Pale Queens kidnap children from human villages on a 14-year cycle, taking 8 kids each time. Once a child is found, the plates making up the Queen's exoskeleton shift, allowing the tendrils to latch onto their target. These tentacles fuse themselves to the flesh and in a process which takes a few hours, assimilate the body into their own in a manner not unlike the alien from John Carpenter's The Thing. Once 8 children are taken, a new Queen is spontaneously born, pulling itself out from the Earth near the spot of the eight child's assimilation.
>>
>>48028295
The Mist.
>>
>>48029479
Saw it and I loved it. This is why I'm worried I'm running out of Lovecraftian movies.
>>
>>48029614
Perfect Blue
>>
>>48029675
I liked that one too, but I don't get how it's Lovecraftian as it felt more like psychological. Here's a list of all the horror movies (regardless of quality) I've seen if you want to look through it.

http://pastebin.com/X0mEi277
>>
>>48029793
It's a brilliant example of madness, which helps fit. Combine it with the KiY mythos from Delta Green Countdown, and imagine the Real Mima as an incarnation of Hastur.

The fading sanity, the loss of time, never knowing if you're in another delusion.

It may be called Perfect Blue, but to me it's Perfect Yellow.
>>
>>48028295
They Live
The Blob
Jacob's Ladder

>>48029411
>standing upright on two legs
>TWO LEGS
san loss already
>>
>>48029614
Triangle
The Objective
>>
>>48028295
Kill List and The Objective have serious Delta Green vibes. Cast a Deadly Spell is more of a comedy but the protagonist is named Howard P. Lovecraft and they name drop several Mythos creatures.
>>
>>48028295
I, Madman is also a must.
>>
>>48029831
Never thought about it that way, that's a pretty good idea.

>>48029869
I've never watched They Live, and I've been meaning to for a while now so I'll do it. Same with Jacob's Ladder.

>>48029887
I'll check out Triangle

>>48029904
That last one sounds fun, so I'll give it a whirl.

>>48029906
Rad, thanks!
>>
>>48028295
Angel Heart
>>
File: 1464227389449.gif (3 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1464227389449.gif
3 MB, 300x200
>>48029869
>T W O L E G S
>>
>>48029411
Breddy good, may I suggest a slower conversion however?
>>
File: Cthulhu Tree.jpg (123 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu Tree.jpg
123 KB, 540x720
>>48031102
I was thinking of that. Would be fun to run into some of them with the kids part way attached.
Maybe over a week then?
>>
>>48031288
I likes.
>>
File: image.png (717 KB, 566x830) Image search: [Google]
image.png
717 KB, 566x830
This general is excellent, I wish you many threads.
>>
File: image.gif (240 KB, 297x396) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
240 KB, 297x396
>>48033795
Eldritch Bump of our Founder
>>
File: 1443628487911.jpg (66 KB, 480x620) Image search: [Google]
1443628487911.jpg
66 KB, 480x620
Any particularly good Cthulhu story anthologies to check out? Need some short stories to destroy my sanity.

And yes, I did read most of Lovecraft's stuff.
>>
>>48028295
>love Lovecraft
>incredibly squeamish
It hurts to live
>>
File: An Average Session of CoC.jpg (378 KB, 635x895) Image search: [Google]
An Average Session of CoC.jpg
378 KB, 635x895
>>48035756
A lot of comic book Cthulhu stories are good for this.
I would highly recommend Providence. It's partially serialized, with each issue dealing with a different part of the mythos.
Cthulhu tales isn't bad either.
>>
>>48028295
I was bouncing from topic to topic across your post, imdb, and wikipedia, and I ended up finding this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker_in_the_Lobby

might be worth checking out
>>
>>48036052
It's all about exposure. I used to not be able to stand gore at all. But watching horror movies helped me get over it. It's still pretty hard for me to watch movies where people melt or dissolve. It's the reason why The Fly isn't on my list yet since I know a guy gets his hand dissolved. And Street Trash is my nightmare. I ought to get to around to watching it though, like maybe this Friday.
>>
>>48036267
Man this looks rad as hell, I'll give it a look.
>>
>>48035756

'Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos' has a ton of good stories, possibly the best introduction to other Mythos authors. Chaosium put out a bunch of anthologies too, often named 'The X Cycle', such as The Dunwich Cycle or The Azathoth Cycle.
>>
>>48028295
Oculus seems to fit the genre quite well
>>
>>47980468
Conan is in the lovecraft universe which our earth.
>>
>>48040242
is*
>>
>>48036202
Is that the Young of Shub-Niggath?
>>
>>48018143

My variant on one was a creature called "Our Lady of Wounds" (real name unknown), implied to be connected to Ubbo Sathla, the reason pain exists. A mass of cancerous flesh exists in a subterranean cavern near the San Andreas Fault, constantly shifting and straining at the rocky confines of her prison, cutting herself raw; abrading off acres of oozing, primordial flesh. The Dreamlands around her is awful, tainted by the constant screaming agony she feels and shares with those around her. One day she will break free of her prison when her constant growth with be what finally pushes the Fault over the edge into a cataclysmic mega-event.
>>
>>48036494
The Cycles are even what we name out new threads after. Also
>>48035756
Clark Ashton Smith, his works are even in the recommended reading section.
>>
>>48041007
So the reason why San Fransisco and Los Angeles is shit is this Elder Cunt.
>>
File: Dark Young.png (5 MB, 2268x1478) Image search: [Google]
Dark Young.png
5 MB, 2268x1478
>>48040986
Let's find out!

Is it invisible? No.
Does it have a shape? Yeah, that looks shape like,
Is it worm-like in shape? Nope.
Does it have a head? Nope.
Is its body composed of many separate spheroids? Nope.
Does it have hoof like feet, with four large tentacles and many smaller ones? Can't see any hooves, the tentacles sound about right though.

Yeah, that seems to be a Dark Young.
>>
>>48041124
Hurrah for field guides!
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 600x777) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 600x777
>>48041089
I shouldn't have laughed as hard as I did.
>>
File: Hastur.jpg (153 KB, 600x1010) Image search: [Google]
Hastur.jpg
153 KB, 600x1010
>>48041281
Bloomin' D&D.
>>
>>48041355
Are those tendrils or dongs?
>>
>>48042424
>whynotboth.jpg
>>
>>48017889
Mantorok wins. Mantorok wins forever.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9arBoVanJZQ

I thought you guys might like this, if you haven't seen it already.
>>
>>48043250
In time immemorial, we have entered the Dream.

Humanity was once a proud race. Millenia of learning about our world, we have reached our apex, mastering all of arts and science. We were left to only experience, to indulge in our hedonistic desires, for what else is there to do, where all is conquered and known?

Soon, our needs surpassed our physical limits. So we have move our boundaries. Centuries after centuries, Man has been merging himself with the machine more and more, engineering next generations. But such work has also its limits.

And so Man created the Dream.

All of humanity joined as one. We abandon reality to live our lives without its limits. And so millenia passed, new man being born and dying within the Dream, our minds entangled more and more, with memories of the physical long gone. And the Man-Machine grew, guided by our common subconcious.

But one has awoken from his slumber. And he saw, what the world has become: only Man-Machine remained, its tendrils consuming all there is. Filled with fear and uncertainty, the Awoken goes through corridors of gray flesh in search of answers. Any answers.
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 600x600
>>48043250
HG Giger's wet dream
>>
File: image.png (481 KB, 1600x761) Image search: [Google]
image.png
481 KB, 1600x761
Eldritch Bump
>>
>>48043250
>>48043510
Okay but holy shit? This is so good.
>>
File: image.png (287 KB, 700x681) Image search: [Google]
image.png
287 KB, 700x681
Is Cthulhu not scary anymore due to overexposure and character decay?
>>
>>48048831
You can make it scary, but people find it too easy to go the " lel cthulhu xD " route.
>>
>>48048998

Or "lol BOAT tho EPIC BOAT FACE" is a big one that stands in the way of keeping Cthulhu scary.

Consider this: according to the story The Call of Cthulhu, the Cthulhu cult is the oldest religious movement in the human species, possibly even the origin of religious thought itself. It's a cult that doesn't require logistics or supply lines or recruitment drives because Cthulhu just MAKES cultists. Any church might secretly (or even unknowingly) be worshipping Cthulhu. Any town you go to, any old friend you lost contact with, might always have been a cultist or turned into one last night by dream-contact with the mind of a slumbering-dead god.

That's how Cthulhu is scary. He's not just huge, he's not just ancient. He's everywhere.
>>
>>48049967
Damn, I've been throughly spooked solid. Well done sir.
>>48048998
Sad indeed, the worst part is the his loss of credibility is some asshole encountering Cthulhu and beating him with ease. It just loses the wonder and awestriking terror of him being beaten by a mere man.

You shouldn't ever be able to beat Cthulhu easily, the Elder Things had to slap his shit until the stars stopped aligning but that was only delaying him. Minor victories should be the best thing you can get.
>>
>>48050101
What if that wasn't Cthulhu, just one of his spawn?
>>
>>48050238
T H I S

I totally imagine that those are merely Spawn of the Great Prophet of R'lyeh and that the people who call them Cthulhu are just dumbshits
>>
Making some notes on the Formless Spawn of Tsathoggua for my Laundry campaign. How does this sound so far?:

The entities classified under the codename VOID WATCHER are difficult to understand. For a long time they were simply mistaken for ambient Thaumaturgical phenomena, a grave mistake, which cost the lives of several agents.

At its core, a VOID WATCHER is a level 2 Exome, brought to our universe from its own by a physical gate (The universe in question has been known by many different names by different cultures. Tartarus, Sheol, the Outer Darkness, and N'kai)

Its body has often been referred to as a "living shadow", but modern research believes them to consist of a mass of something akin to carbon nanotubes (it is notoriously difficult to determine the elemental makeup of entities from a different universe)
Whatever its body is actually made of, it acts as a near-perfect black body. Absorbing over 99.999% of visible light, and most other forms of radiation as well. (In much the same way as the more overt forms of Entropy Manipulation can block light and other radiation)

This makes it almost impossible to judge the size and distance of a VOID WATCHER specimen. Only by the occlusion of known objects acting as landmarks can one determine if they are close small, or far and large. Even then, their amazing plasticity allows them to become razor thin, allowing them to hide from observation.

When bound, VOID WATCHERS have provided sorcerers and cultists with perfect assassins and guardians. They are able to slip through gaps as if they were truly living shadows; and their alien make up renders them immune to most physical attacks.

The most effective methods of dealing with a VOID WATCHER are fire (although the thermal energy released does no damage, the oxidation of VOID WATCHER's body is effective); corrosive substances, such as acids and oxidisers (bleach has proven effective in the past); and exorcism.
>>
>>48050685
Wtf am I looking at here?
>>
>>48050746
Vantablack. A substance which absorbs 99.965% of all light.
It's pretty damn black, yo.

Seriously, on the left you see a piece of crumbled aluminium foil, covered in vantablack. You can't see the surface properly because almost nothing is reflected back. So it's just an indistinguishable mass of black.
>>
File: vantid.jpg (555 KB, 1500x1600) Image search: [Google]
vantid.jpg
555 KB, 1500x1600
>>48050746

The vanta in vantablack stands for "vertically aligned nanotube array". Think of it like the opposite of a fibreoptic cable; instead of bouncing light in the widest angle possible to get the light from point A to point B quickly and with low degradation, the point of vantablack is to bounce light inside itself in very steep angles, so it basically stays inside the tube until the light loses energy and dissipates into heat.

This charming fellow is a monster I came up with in Eclipse Phase, called the Vantid. A human infected by an alien virus of Sufficiently Advanced Science, the vantid works kind of like a fusion of a spider and an octopus; the secondary mouth in the abdomen secretes vantablack, which it uses to create hunting grounds of absolute darkness, string across with webs of sticky vantablack.
>>
>>48050685
>>48050787
Sounds rad as fuck
>>
>>48049967
>>48050101
I saw an argument from an anon in one of these threads a while ago that the events in Call of Cthulhu wasn't an instance of humans "beating" Cthulhu at all, it was the equivalent of someone stumbling around their house early in the morning because their alarm went off at the wrong time and stubbing their toe on a child's toy before going back to bed.
>>
>>48052387
I like this one, a lot.
>>
>>48050931
What's the practical application for the stuff, out of curiousity? I wouldn't mind coating my room in the stuff so I could sit in what would appear to be a featureless void.
>>
>>48052747
Telescopes and cameras.
You probably can't afford it (shit's mad expensive), which doesn't matter since you can't order it (since I assume you're a private individual and not a military/aerospace contractor).
Also it's not recommended for prolonged contact with skin or inhalation, so it probably wouldn't be a good choice for a room you planned to actually live in. Maybe for a meditation room or something.
>>
>>48052747
Calibrating optical instruments, you can get a very precise value for "black".
>>
>>47989172

I'm afraid that my nightmares won't ever go away
I'm afraid of insects
I'm afraid of touching people

I had an encounter with some bed bugs a few years back (had a retard roommate who bought a mattress off of craigslist and brought them into the house). Itched myself silly. I'm still overly sensitive when things brush my skin. I'll freak out like there's a bug on the back of my neck if my hair gets too long on the back of my head.

I'm imagining a parasitic race of millimeter long insects that enter the body while it sleeps and begin to reproduce. As time goes on they consume more and more of the body's resources, causing the host to feel tired.

A waste product these creatures produce causes intense dreams, which turn to intense nightmares as the host's mental state degenerates. This encourages the host to generate more energy during the normally low energy sleep periods. When a host is nearing death the natural lifecycle of the insect ceases and they become dormant.

The host recovers barring other circumstance (age, secondary infection, etc) and goes on to eject dormant insects from mucus (sneezing, coughing), urine, and fecal matter. Once the population has declined the insects wake from dormancy and begin to breed again. Perhaps they sense population levels by detecting the amount of waste product in the surrounding tissue.

This is barely fantasy even, sorry. These things kinda sound like they could exist.
>>
File: ewwhat-adore.gif (600 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
ewwhat-adore.gif
600 KB, 400x225
>>48053520
wtf but thats really spooky
>>
File: Titan.jpg (11 KB, 535x535) Image search: [Google]
Titan.jpg
11 KB, 535x535
>TITAN
Titan is the last major outpost of civilization in the solar system. Beyond it, there are a handful of extreme isolationists and cryo-clades, and then the outer darkness and the tiny, fragile sleeper-ships coasting through the empty centuries. Titan is the last city before the black frontier.
It is an industrial world. The terraformation of Mars demands volatiles and biomass, the hungry refugees nutrition, mankind's industries fuel and plastics, and all turn to Titan's hydrocarbon seas. Vast processing plants (sometimes literal plants) line the shores, drinking the seas and packing them into one-use plastic ships- the ships themselves part of the cargo, to be dismantled and recycled at their destinations. The cities are largely built almost directly into the machineries which are their reason for existence; the muted gurgling of the refining processes and distant roars of takeoff omnipresent and never-ending. Visitors are sometimes driven nearly mad by the constant, maddeningly irregular noise; long-term inhabitants barely notice. (Special earphones are available on request at the ports.) Everything possible is plastic and bone; Titan's metal resources are locked behind a subsurface ocean sandwiched between two layers of ice.
Titan, featureless yellow Titan, is a quiet world. The local life is moss and floating mats of flowers on the sea, quiet and slow-growing this far from the sun. In the Dream, likewise; distances in the Dream do not always match with the real world, and broken Saturn with its many monsters is but a distant speck in the sky; one that looms ever-closer the longer you look at it, admittedly, but it's uncertain if that corresponds to an actual increase in threat. Besides, you can always just look away (Titanians tend to keep their gaze firmly on the ground). Other than that? Grey moss, empty monuments, mirrors, floating faces- always surreal, but rarely dangerous. Many oddities, few entities.
>>
File: Lunar Grave-King.png (2 MB, 2045x1340) Image search: [Google]
Lunar Grave-King.png
2 MB, 2045x1340
>>48053702
There are some, but Titan’s gods sleep deeply. Looking at the Southern Watchers directly causes slow petrification, but they move slightly faster than continental drift and show now overt reaction to human action; ringed with automatic weapons, then forgotten. More geography than god. A few daredevils have even climbed on them, blindfolded or blind-sighted, navigating by GPS and aerial photograph and third-person camera. Come back alive, even.
But there’s always something.
In the distance, on the horizon, returning to the long thing coast refinery-cities; does the skyline look different? Walking down a poorly-lit corridor; was that turn there before? All momentary, all doubtful; a mirage, a moment of inattention.
Until you take a wrong turn, and end up somewhere else. Sometimes, somewhere else on Titan, half the world away or just a block down. Sometimes, you walk into the open air and don’t recognize the stars.
The geography-gods of Titan have been around a long time, sediment and blood washing off them in the rain into the sea. For billions of years. The plastic cities of Titan are made of the stuff of gods, however diluted. True, they are slow- the speed of continental drift. But ask the earthquake- that’s enough.
>>
File: eraserhead.jpg (229 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
eraserhead.jpg
229 KB, 1920x1040
>>48028295
Eraserhead desu
>>
>>48053702
>ships themselves part of the cargo, to be dismantled and recycled at their destinations
Somehow I'd never considered this when pondering terraformation.
>>
>>48028295

Pi
>>
>>48053520
there was a last stage to the design which was 'exaggerate the result until it's a threat to at least the whole world'
>>
>>48055276
They're native to everywhere but Australia.
>>
>>48052387
Pretty much. The stars were not right and R'lyeh had not properly risen, but they were close enough that Cthulhu could be stirred from his slumber. Then he got hit by a boat, got tired, and went back to sleep.
>>
>>48052845
>Telescopes and cameras.
>You probably can't afford it (shit's mad expensive), which doesn't matter since you can't order it (since I assume you're a private individual and not a military/aerospace contractor).
>Also it's not recommended for prolonged contact with skin or inhalation, so it probably wouldn't be a good choice for a room you planned to actually live in. Maybe for a meditation room or something.
I saw a shirt claiming to be made of it for $250.
>>
>>48055714
If it's the Phoebe Hess one, that's Viperblack, nowhere near as dark, but suitable for shirts.

Specifically it reflects 40% less black than other black fabrics. Which is pretty damn black, but you could still see the creases and such in the t-shirt.
>>
>>48041355
But...like fucking why?
>>
>>48056747
Why?

You referring to the stat block, the depiction, or my complaint?
>>
>>48056747
Because in AD&D you could fight gods and maybe win.

Conan and elric both killed a few gods in their times.
>>
File: My space when.jpg (557 KB, 1258x1258) Image search: [Google]
My space when.jpg
557 KB, 1258x1258
>>47980422
>spelling "Ïa" without two dots above
>>
>>48050101
>>48049967
People have a funny way of rewriting the incident in their heads as being defeated.

The trawler sails away even as Cthulhu reforms...and people forget that lat part. It momentarily inconveneinced him. It didn't kill him, it didn't destroy him, it barely was worth his notice.

and that's what drove the poor bastrd to suicide. He realized striking Cthulhu with the boat did nothing. At all. The most Herculean effort he put forth meant nothing more than a momentary pause to the behemoth of R'yleh.

"Defeated?"

Not even slightly.
>>
>>48050685
Side note: Exorcism won't work on them, they're actually native to Earth, as N'Kai is a physical location inside earth.
>>
>>48056869
That's in a bit of doubt. To quote the Encyclopedia Cthulhuiana: "N'KAI (possibly also N'KEN). Dark cavern that is the home of the Great Old One Tsathoggua. It is usually said to lie beneath the subterranean land of Yoth, though others place it beneath Mount Voormithadreth. Entrances to it are as far apart as the Carlsbad Cavern and the Black Forest of Germany, so it may be that it lies in another dimension entirely."

Several sources have portals opening to the black abyss, and the spells to do so (Construct Profanery of N'Kai for instance in Cthulhu Live: Lost Souls and Worlds of Cthulhu #6), so I think the passageways used by the K'n-yani to be gates opened by the Yothian civilization.

This is obviously a relic of DANUBE CROSSING's own CNG, where the Yothian and Valusian civilizations were destroyed, and K-Syndrome destroyed many of their great sorcerer-scientists. The Curse of Yig (as they called K-Syndrome) reduced their civilizations to savagery, allowing the nascent race of man to rise up.

(The role of VOID MONARCH in teaching his favourites Mental Magic is scarcely a coincidence. The liber Ivonis contains instructions on how to perform it, and his worship has been behind the collapse of many earlier civilizations, such as the Valusians and Yothians, the Hyperboreans. and the Titan worshippers of the bronze age (Is it really a coincidence that their chief, Kronos, is associated with the planet Cykranosh?))
>>
>>48057011
Point taken.
>>
>>48053748
> The plastic cities of Titan are made of the stuff of gods, however diluted. True, they are slow- the speed of continental drift. But ask the earthquake- that’s enough.

Noice.
>>
File: Pentagram_(Levi).jpg (61 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
Pentagram_(Levi).jpg
61 KB, 612x612
>>
File: Tsathoggua spells.png (2 MB, 1173x1551) Image search: [Google]
Tsathoggua spells.png
2 MB, 1173x1551
>>48057051
That's cool, and thanks for giving me an opportunity to elaborate a bit more.
>>
File: cthulhu1.jpg (70 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cthulhu1.jpg
70 KB, 600x600
>>47980422
>>Recommend things to put in the next OP
How about a PDF archive?
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu
>>
>>48057212
What edition would you guys recommend?
>>
File: 1414399187556.jpg (126 KB, 642x812) Image search: [Google]
1414399187556.jpg
126 KB, 642x812
>>48057212
Also here is an Achtung! Cthulhu folder

https://mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>>48057299
I say go for fifth, purely out of personal nostalgia.
>>
>>48050101
>>48049967
>>48056857
Shit it's implied at the end of Trail Of Cthulhu(quite possibly the most August Derelith book ever written), that nuking Cthulhu didn't do much more than that either.

Everyone remembers it as Cthulhu being killed, but he was still alive and coming back at the end
>>
>>48057539
So kids, what have we learned today?
>Don't fuck with Cthulhu, just hope you won't live to see the day R'lyeh rises.
Very good.
>>
The new DG handbook is really nice.
I've wanted to run it for a decade and played a fair bit of CoC, but Delta's so themed I've always been reluctant to give it a whirl as GM.

How do you guys deal with player knowledge, expectations, and revealing lore. One shots sort of negate this but when running a longer series of games do you guys actually run through phases of "no knowledge of the conspiracy" to "some knowledge" etc., especially in military contexts? There's a balance between textbook lore, communal expectation, and keeping your own secrets/making the game 'yours' that I rarely see addressed.
>>
>>48028295
Ghostbusters 1, if you ignore the pulpy "hope" aspect
>>
>>48057982
But Gozer got her godly ass whooped.
>>
>>48058278
Well, I have it on good authority that Cathulhu makes Gozer look like little Mary sunshine.
>>
>>48043250
I bet that bio gun sounds gross as fuck.
>>48046703
Yeah, hopefully it doesn't get stuck in development hell.
>>
>>48053702
>>48053748
Is there/will there be a full list of these loredumps? They're pretty interesting.
>>
File: Saturn's Razor.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Saturn's Razor.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>48058928
I've been keeping a google doc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LJ_beiUVa7mpeKJGPBvH2yQCMDVWXLGawz4K39Rea8Q/edit
>>
>>48059124
Cool, thanks m8. Don't always get the chance to hang out in these threads so I wanted to try and keep up with the good stuff, at least.
>>
DELTA GREEN DISNEY STYLE MUSICAL WHEN?

WITH SUCH BELOVED SONGS SUCH AS "A WHOLE NEW WORLD", "FRIENDS ON THE OTHER SIDE", "I WANNA BE LIKE YOU", "BE PREPARED", "I'LL MAKE A MAN OUT OF YOU" AND "WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR", RELYRICED FOR THE ELDRITCH CONSPIRANOIA FUELED GRIMDARK PRESENT, AND A CAST OF ALL YOUR FAVOURITE PLUCKY AGENTS, SINSTER VILLAINS AND OTHERWOLDLY ABOMINATIONS, BOTH PARENTS AND KIDS AGREE THAT THIS IS THE MINDMELTING BLOCKBUSTER OF THE SUMMER, BOOK YOUR TICKETS-

This broadcast has been interrupted in the interests of national security. You did not see what you have just seen. Officers will arrive to assist you and answer any questions you have. Please remain calm and seated.
>>
>>48052387

This is not an argument, it is objectively the case: the stars were not right, he was risen too soon, and he just went back to sleep. That's the point of the story.
>>
I was gonna wait until later when the thread might be more active, but I suppose I'll ask now.

Anybody boiled up any original lovecraftian deities/monsters/races/whatever? I've had some ideas kicking around in my head for the past month or two. I'd be willing to share them if you guys were interested. I'm not the most creative in delivery, so my writing won't be the best, but I do my best in actual concept creation.
>>
>>48057868
It really helps if you have a player or two who are willing to go full Mulder and actively try to figure out what is going on behind the scenes, that way you can react to their theories and decide what parts of the conspiracy you want to be true. I've run several DG games where the players were perfectly fine going about the mission without ever considering where their orders were coming from or why they were being given and a lot of what makes Delta Green Delta Green was lost.
>>
>>48057299
5e and 6e seem to be the most commonly played ones but the new Delta Green rules are very nice and should be taken into consideration.
>>
>>48062054
My question's a bit more about how much any given Mulder character should know when their feet hit the ground in-game.

I dunno, suspension of disbelief's a thing, I just assume anyone playing DG has a pretty solid interest in lore and has likely read much of the conspiratorial framework, but maybe I'm being too optimistic about players.
>>
>>48062691
As far as the organization goes, any freshly recruited agent is likely to know about DG is what whoever recruited them chooses to tell them (most likely a brief version of the group's history with all of the bad parts carefully left out). Think "two truths and a lie" any time you give the characters information.

As far as individual operations go, read the published scenarios, the most almost any group of agents is going to know before shit starts going down is whatever the Friendly A Cell told them to meet up with knows. The short story Down in the Delta has a pretty good example of what happens when an agent tries to get help from A Cell. They're stingy to say the least and if I remember right all the agent is able to get out of like a week of arguing with Alphonse is a couple other agents and some barely useful info on Ghouls.

With DG it's generally expected that the players will know more about what's going on than the characters so you need to make it so the stuff you want to surprise them with can't be found in the books. DG lore is nothing but a series of suggestions and canon is only relevant to what you want to be true in your campaign.
>>
Someone mentioned Kill List earlier in the thread. Does it provide a good structure for a DG opera, in that
> the players are given an instruction to go to a particular place where they receive a mission to murder three people
> each of these people are at least to some degree Bad
> they all thank the players as they're being tortured/killed
> the players later discover some strange, cultish activity related to one target
> HAHA TIME FOR SAN DAMAGE
>>
>>48063535
I love how throuout the first few kills the two guys are very professional about it but when it gets to the part where they watch the tapes in the warehouse and break down crying its immediately followed by a smash cut to them breaking down the door of the guy who made them and torturing him with a hammer in his own home in the middle of the day. It's how I've imagined the halfway point of almost every DG opera since I saw that movie.
>>
>>48063697
If I had only 2 rather than six players I would certainly first rn Converrgence to get them in the mood and then to just recount Kill List transposed to upstate NY.
>>
>>48056574
I was worried, CNF is apparently wildly carcinogenic.
>>
I imagine that at some point during their career, an Agent becomes Neil Maskell- either as the felow from Kill List- attempting despite the world's odds against him to have a life and a relatively happy marriage- or as Arby, so far devoured by his monsters that nothing exists except the job. Agents who survive their first mission starton a course on becoming the first Neil; and those who surivive their fifth are usually the latter. What do you think?

(I think that Neil Maskell would be my first choice as an actor for an agent in a DG adaptation. )
>>
>>48063387
No I've read the materials I'm just looking for practical feedback, how other folks have played it out irl. Appreciate the feedback.
>>
>>47999416
Source? Looks like P. Craig Russell.
>>
>>48065308
The King in Yellow GN, by Chambers and Culbard.
>>
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'm gonna get the Agent's Handbook for DG because my group really wants to get into a game before College starts back up.

Is this DG compatible with anything from the old Cthulhu stuff? Since the Agent's book doesn't come with any stats for monsters and stuff can I just rip them from the old books?
>>
>>48066779
Mostly, yes.
There's skills that changed name and don't apply lethality to most of the monsters, but I think it should be easy to just rip them out and insert into your game.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 89

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.