[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point did you grow out of hating the Ultramarines for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10
File: Ultramarines Fighting.jpg (113 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Ultramarines Fighting.jpg
113 KB, 600x450
At what point did you grow out of hating the Ultramarines for no reason other than trying to fit in?
>>
When I picked Ultramarines as my first army.
>>
>>47953066
Start of 4th edition 40k when I realised all the cooler later founding chapters were Ultramarine descendants.
>>
>>47953066
I don't really have any big issue with the Ultramarines as a concept, I just wish that they'd stop getting pushed like a dry turd all over the rest of the Space Marine lore. Spiritual liege shit aside, they're not bad, I even like the Greco-Roman thing they've got going on as a chapter gimmick.

For reference, my favorite chapters are the Raptors and Imperial Fists.
>>
never hated them

red blue and yellow look good
>>
>>47953066
Latest Tau codex. I realized there are far worse Mary Sues and the Ultramarines are just good guys doing good work.
>>
File: ultramarine assault squad.jpg (81 KB, 540x764) Image search: [Google]
ultramarine assault squad.jpg
81 KB, 540x764
>>47953066
Fortunately I learned to enjoy the romanesque and organized look of the ultramarines before getting into contact with the forms of hatred towards them.

what are even the alternatives?
other chapters are either too one-themed or snowflakey for me.
imperial fists are worse-ultramarines, the second founding chapter
space wolves went from vikings to dangerously furry
dark and blood angels are gay
salamanders are all "fire-flamer,melta,scales" and little else
raven guard are litterally who
white scars are an uninteresting token non-western culture based chapter
only the iron hands would be cool, but at that point I might as well go full mechanicus.
>>
>>47953066
I'm still not a big fan. I just find them (and most space Marines) really boring. The fact that they show up everywhere and are always talked about just makes it annoying.
>>
>>47953066
Always loved their romanesque theme. They were my first army back in 4th. But I hate how GW keep treating them and making them "the greatest of them all!"
Macragge was supposed to be a learning thing for them where they realised that the Codex didn't have all the answers, now it's just another heroic victory. I think that's the main reason I stopped playing 40k
>>
>>47953066
I didn't. I hated Ultras before I learned that it was cool to do, and I still hate them now.
>>
Once I understood the difference between 40k and 30k Ultras.
>>
>>47953066
Probably when I learned that hating Space Wolves is more fun. SW players are hilarious when laughing of their fav chapter.
>>
They're fine. I just wish they wouldn't get all the best core-codex characters for no reason. Not only did they get twice as many as all the other chapers combined in 7th, it just doesn't make sense. Give the Raven Guard a scout character and the Imperial fists a Chaplain character, the Ultras are already special snowflakes.
>>
>>47953066
>At what point did you grow out of hating the Ultramarines

When I found out I was gay.
>>
When they started having the best of everything. Plus chapter bashing is fun since it's literally your opinion
>>
>>47953241
>salamanders boring
>white scars boring

???????
>>
>>47953420
as far as the average army/player goes, they're both hilariously one-dimensional

when's the last time you saw white scars not on bikes, for example
>>
>>47953442
>when's the last time you saw white scars not on bikes, for example
I could swear I have seen White Scars Dreadnaugh on GW website recently. It was not on a bike.
>>
File: Alpha_Legion_Livery.jpg (16 KB, 250x243) Image search: [Google]
Alpha_Legion_Livery.jpg
16 KB, 250x243
>Roboute Guilliman lead a daring raid against Alpha Legion High Command during the battle of Eskrador and, utilizing his own tactics against him, slew Alpharius in single combat.
>This is what Ultramarines actually believe.

This thread is now and always was an Alpha Legion general.
>>
>>47953442
Space marines themselves are extremely one dimensional. All space marines look so similar I can't even tell the difference between them, except terminators which are just fat space marines.
>>
File: NK-necron-01.jpg (5 MB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
NK-necron-01.jpg
5 MB, 2550x3300
I still dislike them.
I got some respect for them when I read fall of Damnos but even then I hated Sicarius, I just wanted him to get schooled by the big bad Necron lord but nope, can't have that.

I still have some respect for the second company even when the smurfs retook Damnos in the most mary sue/bullshit way possible.

I mean really, Crons had 20 years and all they did was turn on the old Imperial guns back on. Had pylons picked up by papa smurf and used as a weapon while it was still firing, because no one thought to turn it off the moment it was lifted.

And the absolute travesty was a Necron lord permanently dying because he was stabbed in the "right" place.

Fuck that noise, Ultrasmurf genocide best day of my life.
>>
>>47953536
Astatecist white xeno scum.
>>
>>47953525
>This is what Ultramarines actually believe.
if you'd read the fluff, you'd know that the Ultramarines don't believe it, and the source of the story is considered questionable even in-universe

I used to like all of the founding legions, but meme legion fanboys on /tg/ have really made it difficult.
>>
>>47953525
I am Alpharius
>>
>>47953241
Iron Hands are so under-appreciated.
>>
>>47953536
What of centurions?
>>
>>47953442
>when's the last time you saw white scars not on bikes, for example

I run light mechanized infantry for white scars, not bikes.
>>
>>47953581
Space Marine chads.
>>
>>47953573
I personally find them just boring. Their only shtick is muh weak flesh. If I want to feed my robotic fetish I'll do Mechanicus. Most all-black paint schemes are also boring as hell.
>>
>>47953581
Space marines that went to McDonald's.
>>
>>47953484

Wasn't that a thing as far back as Paul "Fat Bloke" Sawyer?

I seem to remember an article of him taking suggestions on how a Scars Dreadnought was supposed to keep up. Rejected ideas included Flatbed Rhinos, Roller Skates, and a Dreadnought sized bike
>>
File: The see me rolling.png (2 MB, 1117x828) Image search: [Google]
The see me rolling.png
2 MB, 1117x828
>>47953066
>>47953096

This.

> Implying I ever hated the Ultramarines

Titus was a nice breath of fresh air though. Still, fave is Black Templar. Crusade All Day, 'Erry Day Nigger.
>>
File: HowlingGriffonsSpaceMarine.jpg (29 KB, 410x465) Image search: [Google]
HowlingGriffonsSpaceMarine.jpg
29 KB, 410x465
>>47953066
>Ultramarines will never be as cool as their Black Templar decendants
>>
>>47953066

Back end of 2nd Edition, when I started playing them. Haven't actually used them on tabletop much since Ward shat all over us, but still play a Tyrannic War Vet in Deathwatch.
>>
>>47953617
it was

the vast majority of all white scars armies are still hell's angels: mongol edition, though
>>
>>47953241
>>47953595
Iron Hands have been under-written, but they have so much potential in fluff. They've got clans instead of companies (internal conflict), are tied closer to Admech than the Imperium at large (political conflict) and they fucking hate normie humans (extra conflict) which means they kinda hate themselves (deep conflict.) Iron Hands have a reason to fight anyone in the setting, they fucking write themselves. Plus, dreadnaught specialty, tac sergeants in termy armour (in fluff), amazing forge world models and iron fathers.

Having said that, you are spot on about the colour scheme. They should keep it for one clan and create complimenting schemes for the others, Dark Angels style. Throw a lot of bronze in there and few brighter colours and then they'll look as interesting as they are.
>>
It depends on how they're handled, really.

>The Greco-Roman Chapter, taking their place among the greats
>Well run Chain of command, versatile and adaptable
>The battle for Macraage, parts of Damnos
>Titus

Dislike
>The best of the best Chapter, everyone else loves them unconditionally.
>"The codex is always right, no take backsies"
>Their Boom! comic, or any situation where they steamrolled everything in lore with zero effort and badly written self-conflict. (Krak grenading a Gargant to death was and always will be bullshit).
>Sicarus
>>
>>47953756
>>"The codex is always right, no take backsies"

This is the thing I like best about them. It's a flaw and it should create depth. Problem is, they never suffer any consequences for it. Ultra Marine history should be littered with proud/conservative decisions going wrong as well as glorious, by-the-book victories.
>>
>>47953813
I remember the first few battles against the Tyranids went really badly, and they lost the most beautiful Garden World in Ultramar because of it, until they learned to adapt their tactics and strategies.
>>
I've always liked them since the 4th edition rendition of the battle for Macragge. Half of what was interesting but that wasn't talked on much was how they went about recovering. Divergence from the codex was more visible with the Tyrannic War Veterans and there's clearly some internal issues between old guard minded like Agemman and the likes of Sicarius, as boring as the later may be since he always wins.
>>
>>47953813
Put it better than I could have said. I really liked the part where Calgar sat down for a think after the Tyranids had thwarted them
> man, the codex didn't prepare us for this
> we need to come up with something new for a new threat
Then they built on what they learnt, Calgar fisted the Swarmlord, and another chapter was added to the codex about bug smashing. I think that's the moment for me when the Rule-toting Ultramarines really shone.
>>
I've always loved the Ultramarines.
They're the chapter without a stupid gimmick, and they're the literal best because of it.
>>
>>47953066
I like their symbols and colors.
The fluff wanking is a bit annoying though.
>>
I have no problem with the Ultras.

I just dislike when 'most common' is equated to 'best'.

It makes perfect sense why they're the template for 80% of all new founded chapters ever, but it's not because they're the best, just the most predictable known quantity that can probably do any job reasonably well.

Titus was the thing that truly and forever redeemed them in my eyes into being truly cool for me, follow the rules but understand that those rules don't make us what we are, it's how we live by them and use them. Don't take it literally to the point of suicidal stupidity.

Titus is what Guilliman wanted his marines to be like, respecting the wisdom of his teachings but understanding that no book can ever replace the need for improvisation and flexible thinking.
>>
>>47954412
>No gimmick
>Implying over-adherence to the Codex and lack of flexiblity because of it isn't a gimmick

I mean, they fucking prosecuted a captain because he adapted his tactics beyond the Codex.
>>
>>47953756

They were always like thsat.

Faggots need to read the old 2e codex.
>>
File: 40kUltramarines10.jpg (2 MB, 2500x1480) Image search: [Google]
40kUltramarines10.jpg
2 MB, 2500x1480
I don't really hate them. I love their colors and their Greco-Roman style. I like how they're actually decent toward the people of Ultramar and genuinely try their best to keep the Imperium going.

But holy shit, they have so much ungodly amounts of plot armor that it makes them feel really fucking cheesy, even by 40k's standards.
>>
>>47953846
Honestly?
I'd love to see more of the conflict, that would make Ultras vastly more interesting.

Especially seeing as the Ultras do have the biggest realm and are decently well knit with their successors... mostly.

Just think of what that would say to their successors though? The Ultras are arguing over the Codex and they sold that shit like it was hotcakes.

I want a civil war in Ultramar.
>>
>>47953484
Don't White Scars avoid using dreadnaughts because they think it's bad for a warrior to be entombed like that?
>>
>>47953581
Adorable
>>
>>47954534
this, so much. love the look, hate the bullshit. they arent my favorites by any means, but if I ever start with tabletop stuff, I might make a deep blue ultramarine army, or at least take their style into consideration when making a oc donut steel one.
>>
>>47954712
They do, but I imagine they still have Dreadnoughts to preserve their veterans and use them as libraries of lore and knowledge. But most likely they don't consider becoming a Dreadnought as much of an honour as many other Chapters do.
>>
>>47953640
Black Templars are Fists descendants.
>>
>>47954774
I know. What I meant is that the Howling Griffons are basically Ultramarine Black Templars.
>>
>>47954768
I don't know, man. Reading the lexicanum gives me

> the White Scars do not possess any Dreadnoughts since the thought of confining a warriors' spirit within a sarcophagus is abhorrent to them
>>
>>47953066
>Muh default marines
Have you no imagination at all?
>>
>>47954870
Because space marines that want to fuck dogs, or drink blood, or want to be 2mysterious4u are creative as hell.
>>
>>47953572
>We'll save Mankind from Chaos, even if we have to kill every last one of them

Just as planned.
>>
File: pylons.png (1 MB, 1008x656) Image search: [Google]
pylons.png
1 MB, 1008x656
>>47953555
>pylons picked up by papa smurf
>building-sized superheavy artillery piece

I'm sorry what?
>>
>>47954908
nothing is creative when you dumb it down into two words intended to have a cheesy/childish connotation
>>
I like the Crimson fists because their chapter master is the only character in fantasy that I know of that shares my name
>>
>>47955619
Exactly my point.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.