[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can we make dragon descended people interesting again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 29
File: 1450940256471.jpg (77 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
1450940256471.jpg
77 KB, 500x625
How can we make dragon descended people interesting again?
>>
Make them Catholic.
>>
>>47945784
Make them sexy
>>
>>47945784
By making them rarer, for one. Few too many variants on the theme these days
>>
>>47945784
They're only uninteresting when people forget that there's more to them than
>Looks like a biped dragon.
>>
>How can we make dragon descended people interesting again?

It's a person descending from a fucking dragon, what more do you want? The problem is not with them, the problem is with you, who forgot how amazing such things are.
>>
File: 1441627934247-0.jpg (631 KB, 1000x707) Image search: [Google]
1441627934247-0.jpg
631 KB, 1000x707
In my setting a mighty hero slew the Dragon Queen and ate her heart. In her last breathe she cursed him and his descendants to become covered in scaly skin and addorned with horns on their head.
>>
>>47945784
Just cut out the "people" part altogether and let folks play as dragons.
>>
>>47945784
When were they interesting again?
>>
>>47945784
Drop D&D's retarded chromatic / metallic gimmick and write something that tailors more closely to your setting. Also what >>47945862 said.
>>
>>47945951

the people part is to balance them out towards other races, if you let someone play an actual dragon the other players would have to play as similarity powered creatures, which would be pretty cool actually, but the point is that you just can't give a dragon to any humanoid party
>>
>>47945998
Fantasy Craft manages it just fine.
>>
File: 1457715147711.jpg (343 KB, 803x720) Image search: [Google]
1457715147711.jpg
343 KB, 803x720
What are some traits one could give dragonkin to make them unique?
>>
>>47946182
Barbed cocks
>>
>>47945784

No opposable thumbs.
>>
>>47946227
that's not unique, catfolk have that
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 597x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 597x640
>>47945784
Expendable kobold minions.
>>
>>47946356

I do like Dragonbonr/Kobold having the big guy small runt dynamic.

Sort of like draconic Orcs and Goblins.
>>
In my setting, the Dragonborn are the humans who were eaten and reborn as dragons Chimera Ant style when it fell to Earth and took form.

When their "god" was finally defeated by the Elves and Orcs who were created by said humans to bolster their numbers against the dragon's spawn Earth was ruined and they had to leave with the few remaining pure humans to a nearby planet.

Since then the Dragonborn have essentially re-learned how to use the old magi-tech and are preparing to launch an invasion force onto the nearby planet.
>>
>>47946413
gr8 lets make dragonborn interesting again by making them orcs
nah jk that does sound interesting
>>
>>47945920
Scalie please go.
>>
>>47945784
more pics of dragon people that look more dragon than man?
>>
>>47946182

Make them lethargic and weak at night and stronger during the day, with stat modifiers

Their breath weapons require the consumption of some type of food containing a particular chemical and cannot be usd indefinitely

there are subtypes, but they all inhabit a general area (say, an archipelago where they evolved) and they have different cultures and religions

etc

Also, imagine a breed of dragon like creature that embodies the concept of improvement, evolution and gradual gain of wisdom and experience; it starts off as a type of lizard, eventually turning into a kobold like creature and then a winged dragon, exploring the world, but it eventually turns into a gigantic serpent with arms, roots itself into the ground in a secluded place and becomes a sort of tree/dragon chimera, offering advice to dragons as a sage. It can't move, but it can bestow the worthy with a mark, shaped like a dragon's eye, offering them some sort of enhanced ability in exchange for being able to experience the world through them, gaining more knowledge and wisdom to share. these creatures could be seen as some sort of deity by tribals living near them, for example.
>>
By not playing with /tg/.
>>
make them weird mutant things with too many small, twitchy limbs jutting out of weird places.
Dragons and tiny ass humanoids are probably not meant to breed, whether physically or genetically.
>>
>>47945784
Bodyhorror
>>
>>47945784
>How can we make dragon descended people interesting again?

I turned them into Germans.

More specifically, the landed aristocracy and Landsknecht of the lands.

Their fathers and mothers are the dukes for a Not!HRE.
>>
>>47948954
>
>
>
>>
>>47947762
Dragonlance
>>
>>47945824
Huh. I actually did do this. It's working out pretty well.
>>
File: DragonBloodedCover.jpg (162 KB, 874x800) Image search: [Google]
DragonBloodedCover.jpg
162 KB, 874x800
Dragonbloods are already pretty cool.
>>
>>47945784

Dragon blood doesn't bestow ability to use magic, aka the implied backstory on Sorcerers.

Instead, those that have the 'blood of the dragon' have physical powers above the norm for most mortals, and this becomes the implied backstory for most of the material hero classes and explains why the martial hero has extraordinary prowess that lets him not lag behind higher level casters under the chains of 'realism'.

Like for sorcerers, this doesn't mean that you have some dude with dragon blood at every inn and township. Its still super rare. But the few times in a generation that it does manifest, it is all but predestined that individual will go on to become a PC-tier individual. The sort of people who can rip trees out of the ground with their bare hands generally don't stay as turnip farmers or cobblers.
>>
>>47945784
A type of monk living in solitude trying to fing enlightment.
>>
>>47945784
They were originally golems made by the dragons, but Tiamat, being a fujoshi, gave them genders and sapience.
>>
>>47945784
>there was a time when dragon people were interesting

Intstead of trying to fix bad concepts it's better to just let them die
>>
>>47945784
I once made up a half-dragon race that lived in a great desert and worshipped a death goddess that put the dead at rest rather then being evil and shit. The most elite warriors being scythe wielding necromancers that communed and asked the dead for aid rather then force them out of rest. Also searing magic brands into their body seeing as the magic that they used besides psuedo-necromancy was extremely volatile.
>>
>>47945824
Underrated post.
>>
File: Endless_Legend_drakken.jpg (263 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Endless_Legend_drakken.jpg
263 KB, 1920x1080
>>47945784
>>
File: tumblr_o2td3wiokZ1r63nh8o1_1280.png (165 KB, 1039x696) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2td3wiokZ1r63nh8o1_1280.png
165 KB, 1039x696
howbout this
>>
>>47945784
Have the dragon required to be in the same form for copulation.

Them make the resulting offspring sorcerers, but look the same as the base form.
>>
>>47945939
Your players com to /tg/ or something?

No need to lie to us.

The mighty hero fucked the Dragon Queen then passed a bluff check when someone noticed the hero's kid had scales.
>>
>>47948937
Mindhorror
>Wings bursting out of their backs is just as likely as minds fracturing into feral rage
>>
File: Dragonian.jpg (106 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
Dragonian.jpg
106 KB, 1191x670
Make them badass.
>>
>>47946182
Argonians are not fucking Dragon related in any way shape or form you faggit.
They are not even really Lizards anymore and Dragons are not lizards in TES either even though a lot of them look like lizards.
Argonians are mutant lizard/treepeople created from stupid generic lizards that existed around thanks to bro tier HIST and technically mammals can become Argonian too, what makes you an Argonian is connection to the HIST hivemind and your soul being of a HIST. The lizardy people as a race are called Saxhleel to be more correct.
>>
>>47952437
On the opposite side, Dragonborn is not a half Dragon or Dragonkin or some shit, he is quite literally a Dragon as far as other Dragons are concerned.
All you need to do to be a Dragon is be a shard of Aka and have a Dragonsoul, rest is arbitrary.
>>
>>47947762
Make them Lawful Good orc counterpart. Heh heh heh
>>
>>47951113
Damn, I hate Drakken.
>wee preserve history of Auriga and legacy of Endless!
>wat? artifact that contradicts some stuff in our history? STOP STUDYING IT! I'D DESTROY IT BUT I'M NOT BUTTHURT ENOUGH!
>>
>>47945784
Make them Welsh.
>>
>>47945784
We can't. They are furfag territory, along with kobolds. Bury them and move on.
>>
I had mine be crazy religious and also cursed to never have a kingdom again due to old laws. They have a spattering of Shinto and some other shit as their religion, they believe they're all impure because they're all chromatic colors and chromatic is evil and such. They see metallic things as pure which means they love making tools and weapons and such. They generally wear lightweight clothing in metallic colors that cover themselves completely while black smithing to make sure their chromatic-ness doesn't infect the tools and weapons and make them cursed. Kind of a gypsy nation well known for their inventions and incredibly self-hating religion
>>
>>47945824
We've already done this with the vampires in the Vampire Byzantium setting we made. Dragons also would be pushing it.
>>
>>47945784
Well, it's a well known fact that the way to make a character deep, mature and well-developed is to put rape into their backstory, so my recommendation here is rape. Lots and lots of rape.
>>
>>47945784
They arent actually dragon descendet people, they are lizard people who idealize the dragons and worship them

They are long lived but unlike dragons, they need to conserve energy like crocks, so the older they get the lazier they are.
The goal of their race is to become true dragons, but they have to do so before they fall into age induced hybernation.

They also constantly have to hide the fact that actually they are the same race as the evil ancient lizardmen that worship dark gods and control murderous serpent cults across the world.
>>
>>47954162
cont.

To become dragons, they must walk like them.

As such they have become shrewed traders in an effort to amass a hord of their own.
They adorn themselves with golden trinkets and coins but they never spend it on true luxury, they live in hollowed out volcanos, their society is between the extremes of a civilized race and that of isolationist recluses.

They wear ornamental horns and triangular spear tips on their tails to make them look more draconic.
They will deliberatly ´feign fits of draconic rage and jealousy

The young ones will engage in cattle raids and occasionally terrorize nearby human villages, this ofthen leads to the elders of theire society having to negotiate peace with the humans.
This is of course hard since having a knight trying to slay you is a badge of honor.

Nevertheless in their pursuit of wealth and power many of these Draconian Reptiles can be found in the ranks of adventurers or wizards using magicks to mimick draconian breath attacks.
>>
>>47954057
But Byzantium was Eastern Orthodox.....
>>
>>47955015
In that setting there was no split in the coven of Vampire!Jesus. Or at least that split never happened.
>>
>>47952453
You don't need to capitalize Hist like that every time, it the trees' name, not some weird metaphysical conundrum word like CHIM.
>>
>>47946356

Dude leave us alone.
>>
>>47951171
good idea

make them creepy as hell

don't dragons usually have such a different way of sensing the world? In Norath's version doesn't having extreme survival skills paired with extreme intellect + the usual "actually 12000 years old" morality weirdness not to mention the experiences and information processing of a reptile render their politics, goals, and morality NIE UNFATHOMABLE anyway?

What could possibly be creepier than an unfathomable mountain-sized god? A twelve foot tall one with enough humanity that you can understand there's an intelligence there, but know you can't understand a lick of it. Fuck me up.
>>
Give them a mega evolution
>>
File: half-dragon.jpg (29 KB, 370x546) Image search: [Google]
half-dragon.jpg
29 KB, 370x546
>>47953821
Make them Sumerian instead.

>>47945784
What's so boring about the current dragon races?

Dragonborn from 4e/5e are pretty cool, being humanoid dragon people with a culture focused on being badasses. If you transport their old empire to the present they get even more badass. Whats not to like about dragon shaped klingons?

Kobolds, are already neat if you take in all their fluff, especially the stuff from 3.5 and 4e.

Draconians are meh to me but that's because I just don't like corrupted dragon eggs spewing forth mutant dragons that look humanoid. They also come from the worst D&D setting: Dragonlance.
>>
>>47953784
Its as bad as the cultists
>Convert x many tribals into the following
>Starting tech is Parlay
>First conversion is actually really cheep gold and influence wise
>Convert

>OH MAH GOD!!!!! THEY SLAUGHTERED MY ENTIRE VILLAGE AND CONVERTED BY FORCE!!!!!
>wut? I just bought peace and then converted, I didn't attack you guys at all.

>Later
>Not-yet-dissillusioned convert rejoices that the cultists are feeding and taking care of the tribal people
>tasked to annihilate an enemy
>Does so
>not-yet-disillusioned convert celebrates the death of the enemy and their tribal allies
>Next task
>Convert the tribals
>Does so with money and influence because at this point money and influence are literally chump change
>OH MY GOD THEY SLAUGHTERED ENTIRE VILLAGES AND FORCED THEM TO CONVERT!!!! I CAN'T SUPPORT AN ORGANIZATION LIKE THIS! SMELL YA LATER!
>Seriously?
>This is were you draw the line?

It probably would have made sense if it wasn't for the fact that cultists literally start out their campaign with parlay.
>>
>>47950231
>being a fujoshi, gave them genders
Why more than one?
>>
>>47955420
if my party saw this, they wouldn't even read the sign, they would just go up and slaughter the kobold for xp and hope he had treasure on him
>>
File: DragonlordOjutai.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DragonlordOjutai.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>47945784
Make them Buddhists.
>>
>>47955512
everything you wrote i enjoy
>>
Go back to basics. Dragons are already interesting, so just take dragons and make them weaker and humanoid. Keep the greed, pride, fire breathing, appearance, and general attitude, but make them balanced to humanoid levels so they can fit in with a standard party of adventurers.
>>
File: 7_by_fzn4-d5wdlnk.jpg (182 KB, 1024x1058) Image search: [Google]
7_by_fzn4-d5wdlnk.jpg
182 KB, 1024x1058
>>
>>47958640
>>
I'm experimenting with just making dragonborn = dragons in my setting. They can swap between quadrapedal form at will, which allows them to run faster but making them unable to use tools until they go upright again.
>>
>>47945784
You can't, dragons aren't interesting and making them people doesn't help
>>
>>47949370
They're just normal humans who just happen to have more powers big whoop

If you want to improve them don't just make them normal humans with more powers actually make them more dragon like (which also does not mean 8 year old looking anime girls with dragon horns)
>>
>>47953784
Yea, that was really retarded.

>NO MY ARCHIVES ARE THE TRUTH SILENCE THESE LIES.
>>
File: 1464955668175.jpg (280 KB, 1261x838) Image search: [Google]
1464955668175.jpg
280 KB, 1261x838
>>47949436
>Its still super rare
This mentality helps explain away a lot of shit people complain about when it comes to nonstandard classes and races

PCs by their very nature are outside the norm
NPCs have levels in expert/warrior/ect or in some cases none at all
PCs are the 1% or the 0.1% the super rare super badass heroes
If a player decides to be a Shardmind that doesn't mean there is a whole city of them for the players to visit same thing with dragonborn just because there's one in the party does'nt mean they make up any significant part of the population they're rare half-breeds between the most powerful and feared monsters in the setting and some random bitch

In D&D player characters aren't supposed to be random cannon fodder they're supposed to be super heroes in a fantasy world

You don't need to fix dragonborn you need to alter your perception of the game
Or don't play D&D
>>
>>47958922
>dragons aren't interesting
u focking wot m8?
>>
>>47945939
AMANI PRIDE!!!!!!!
>>
>>47959047
That's been happening in real life for thousands of years.
>>
File: 20160621200111_1.jpg (361 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160621200111_1.jpg
361 KB, 1920x1080
>>47959180

Is it bad that I totally want to steal Amani and tweak them to fit in my game?
>>
What if dragon descended people aren't actually descended from dragons?

Hear me out on this; they could have descended from a cult of humans who saw dragons as perfection and used some magic (dark or otherwise) to permanently augment (scar) their physical forms and bless (curse) their offspring with these alterations.

The blessing (curse) also ensures that any crossbreeds are actually full dragonkin, so no headache in figuring out what the half elf x dragonkin kid is going to look like.

Meanwhile most real dragons hate these guys because dragons are proud and fancy themselves as demigods and gods.
>>
>>47959251
>Is it bad that I totally want to steal Amani and tweak them to fit in my game?
no this is totally fine
>>
>>47949436
I like this idea, but what about tweaking it with a setting that could explain any PC origin?

Having each color of dragon be the guardian or controller of a specific aspect of society could allow for a related type of blood to be the cause of awakening as a PC.

For instance, why can the clerics and paladins channel the will of their gods into physical force? Because the blood of a golden dragon (who always have the ears of the gods) was aroused in their veins and their words and prayers are able to be clearly heard in the ears of their patron gods.

Why can the wizard and sorcerers tap into the aether and mold it into spells? Because the blood of silver dragons (who measure and control the flow of magic in the world) awoke in their veins.

This would also allow dragon-blooded individuals to be fairly commonplace (like Genghis Khan's descendants) but the act of awakening is exceptionally rare.
>>
>As a player race
Just make them mostly look like normal humans with only subtle dragon-like features but still with all the racial abilities. Basicly just firebreathing Targaryens.

>As a thing to encounter
Should be rare and mystic as fuck. Akin to meeting an angel or some other god avatar. Only a handfull of these people should be walking the earth.

Should also look like the pic in the OP.
>>
>>47960252
>Basicly just firebreathing Targaryen

No, just no.
>>
File: Vegetable Soup.jpg (65 KB, 640x713) Image search: [Google]
Vegetable Soup.jpg
65 KB, 640x713
>>47959478
My usual way of dealing with that is to give half-breed creatures the stigma that they can't naturally conceive, they're mules.Even if their fucked up crossgenes are capable of procreating, either they or their offspring will be horribly deformed. Consequently, people aren't particularly inclined to trust them and believe them to be cursed. This cuts down on the number of Spoopur Speshull Snowflake freak monster PCs I have to deal with who are going to be burnt at the stake in the first social situation they get into (because the PCs didn't listen to me when I told them this was going to be an issue) because most of the players who freak out about not having a magical enough character can't deal with the idea of having a dick that only fires blanks.
>>
>>47945784
By making them cute
>>
>>47960878
Whats the problem? Not furry enough?

As it stands, Dragonborn are kind of an eyesore when you line them up with the other core races. They're WoW level unsubtle and high-fantasy.
>>
>>47961929
wouldn't that be lobster soup?
i think if your dm actually plays up the whole "rare race, maybe not trusted by most people you will encounter" thing, then it makes it all a lot better. but a lot of dms just dont give a shit.
>>
>>47962350
SoupAnon, here.
I always play "Rare race, potentially mistrusted" to the hilt in my game worlds. It works especially well if you're in a Low Fantasy setting or one of my favorite game worlds, which can be summarized as "High Fantasy, but after the Day the World Stood Still never ended". It's kind of fun playing on the expectations of people who come in expecting Pathfinder bullshit where getting better and better magical weapons is required for gameplay or WoW where players think 'healer' means "press a button and in a few seconds some light makes someone whole" up until someone's got a mace wound to the side of the head and needs his throat slit because the healer can't help him, because healer actually means "I can deliver babies, set bones, and sew wounds closed".
>>
>>47962496
[cont'd.]
I've had games where a +1 sword is treated like goddamn Helen of Troy, because finding a sword that can make you better at swording no matter who you are or what you've done with your life before you pick up this sword is actually pretty amazing.
>>
>>47945939
>In her last breathe she cursed him and his descendants to become covered in scaly skin and addorned with horns on their head.

Just the one head?
>>
>>47959190
Doesn't make it any less retarded.
>>
>>47955420
Kobolds are little shits and they deserve getting genocided.
>>
They couldn't fully escape the eggshell, only their tongues, their forelegs, and the ends of their hind legs busted through. Make them run around on their hind legs, stuck in the strong AC shell, unable to see and having to navigate completely by sense of smell through the tongue. You're welcome.
>>
>>47945939
>cursed
>>
make them well endowed
>>
>>47946488
Meh
Nice dubs though
>>
>>47948680
>Make them lethargic and weak at night and stronger during the day
That's a pretty good idea senpai
>>
>>47945784
i recognize that artist
>>
>>47945824
Make them Catholic Krogans.
>>
>>47965854
who is it then?
>>
>>47966138
jacketbear/dohs
>>
Have them be a divergent line from dragons, who share a common ancestry way back, yet cannot stop going to war with each other over their differences, and need to dominate/assert themselves as supreme.
>>
>>47966197
why did he draw this cool OP pic if the rest of his stuff is furry garbage?
>>
>>47966365
I get the feeling that he's a serious fantasy artist that just branched into furry porn as a hobby.
>>
>>47962303
>They're WoW level unsubtle and high-fantasy.

Welcome to D&Dland, where people shoot fireballs from his butts and kick Tarrasques' asses.
>>
File: night fury young.png (540 KB, 975x975) Image search: [Google]
night fury young.png
540 KB, 975x975
>>47945951
>>47945998
I let one of my guys play as a baby Dragon that hatched as an egg when he missed the first session. Granted, the setting was comedic and high-fantasy, and half the rest of the party's characters were between 12 and 14 years old anyway. Having one more young character, even if it's a sentient and common-speaking dragon, didn't mess with the tone too much.

Turned out well enough, I guess. His running gag was always being mistaken for a cursed alligator or hexed lizard, though.
>>
>>47956743
Cultists want to destroy the world because of daddy issues with Endless. So, fuck them anyway.
>>
>>47962863
Depends on the setting
>>
You can't, the novelty's gone.
>>
>>47960252
>>47962303

>every fantasy race needs to be recoloured humans

I bet you design video games for bioware.
>>
>>47962560
What system do you play? Is the campaign setting homebrew?
>>
>>47945939
Huh. What's this from?
>>
>>47962863
>Ignore Garl Glittergold posters.
>>
>>47971533

The picture is an Aman from Tera.
>>
>>47955170
To be fair, as a hiveminded eldritch entity, there is an argument to be made that as a name, Hist, is a proper noun and should be capitalized.
>>
>>47946182
>>
File: 1451092694054.jpg (505 KB, 1500x833) Image search: [Google]
1451092694054.jpg
505 KB, 1500x833
>>47945998
Heroes aren't supposed to be ordinary people anyway.
>>
>>47972605
But they are trees not reptiles
>>
>>47972721
I thought they were reptiles possessed by trees?
>>
File: dragons.jpg (220 KB, 999x600) Image search: [Google]
dragons.jpg
220 KB, 999x600
>>47972605
Not a dragon, elder scrolls dragons have only four limbs.
>>
>>47966430
It's insanely lucrative. People pay shitloads for their OCs getting railed in the correct fetish-specific way.
>>
>>47968935
If they have hot evil priestesses in leather I am totally happy to fuck cultists.
>>
>>47972648
That's the gayest image I've seen on 4chan today, and I browsed /b/ an hour ago.
>>
>>47945784
Give them ACTUAL FUCKING WINGS instead of just making them huge fat scaled dudes.

God, Dragonborn are shit.
>>
>>47978988

I feel the opposite way.

In 99% of roleplaying games, except for the most ludicrous high fantasy/high powered games like Exalted or in political games like WoD where it isn't as important; giving players the ability to fly is FAR too overpowered to be allowed, unless its a reward after along quest or comes at a costly price (levitation potion, etc). Giving dragons free flight, also implied to be at level 1 since they were born with wings, is nearly impossible to balance and simply put overpowered. Making dragons without wings or vestigial wings is far better for playable characters. It's no different then letting players play as undead or constructs and realizing that you just invalidated half of the human weaknesses.
>>
>>47979109
The thing is, I don't care if the draconian can actually fly. I'd be fine with having the limbs be vestigial, or give them a speed bonus until they hit higher levels or whatever. Like, at level 12 they can fly, but before then they get an extra 10ft. movement or whatever.

It's mostly an aesthetic thing that irks me. Dragons aren't fat lizards, they're giant flying lizards. So a draconian (Or 'dragonborn') shouldn't be a fat lizardperson, but a winged lizardperson. Bonus points if they have whippy tails.
>>
>>47945784
They were never interesting, and never will be.
>>
>>47979109
I've seen winged PCs work pretty well, like 4e's pixie or FantasyCraft's drake. You just need good guidelines or restrictions on in-combat flight. As a general utility flight is a cool perk but it won't break any scenario that wasn't boring to start with.
>>
>>47979109
Winged characters work if their rules work realistically- needing a long speedup period in order to lift off, and requiring the character to actually stay in motion in order to stay aloft. That way, it's not as useful in combat- they'd need to spend a turn to get up to speed, and could only flyby every few turns. Not to mention that any kind of attack would have penalties due to, you know, flying.
>>
>>47954204
sounds gay.
>>
In my setting, dragons are tied to 5 elements and the elements are tied to certain emotions. A fire dragon is anger incarnate. Those marked by the fire dragon have their ability to feel anger taken from them in exchange for its power.
>>
>>47972021
I have no idea what that even is. I'm mostly from /v/.
>>
just copy tolkien elves
make them mysterious, only ever to be seen fleetingly on roads or heard of in song, caught up the achievements and strife of their own people and caring little for everyone else
and if someone asks to play one you say "no"
>>
>>47954057
>We've already done this with the vampires in the Vampire Byzantium setting we made.

Was it archived? Can anyone please link it to me?
>>
File: 1456827192297.jpg (628 KB, 868x1200) Image search: [Google]
1456827192297.jpg
628 KB, 868x1200
I made a setting where dragonhood is something thats granted onto lesser creatures rather than being inherited. In a basic way the dragon would requisition a mercenary or warrior to fetch it a particularly nice piece of treasure, afterwards granting him a draconic trait such as dragonbreath or a tough scaly hide as a reward to improve his skills. These gifts could pile up over several quests and bounties, leading to eventually becoming indistinguishable from a salamander or a lesser drake.

One of the kingdoms players visited was ruled by a red dragon who had taken this system a step further and had declared himself dictator for eternal life, granting knighthood to those who had served him faithfully or had committed an extraordinary act of bravery in his name. The campaign only featured the kingdom for a short while, but I gave it a lot of thought afterwards.

I'd imagine the kingdoms elite and nobility would range from being completely draconic at the very top with heads of noble families and important generals basically being dragons while lesser knights might only have a pair of scaly wings to their name or horns sprouting from their head. Draconic traits are taken as a sign of noble character and wisdom, and a young bachelor might boast the number of scales on his body while among women the peak of fashionable is a leery grin of fangs sharpened to perfection. while horses are common cattle, the rich and powerful would keep aviaries of drakes to ride in battle. Things like that.

I basically imagined the kingdom of lothric but with a more direct form of drake worship.
>>
I honestly like the ShadowRun interpretation where, as far as I understand it, they appear as just very, very dangerous people in financial and political sectors rather than as sprawling lizards who breathe fire and shit but otherwise are content sitting around enjoying their coin and stamp collections. The types of wheelers and dealers who can end your life without killing you, but are in good enough shape that they could easily also just kill you normally. Y'know, a Hollywood flick style Alpha.
>>
>>47982303
Short version: Garl Glittergold killed a fuckton of Kobolds in a fit of jealousy and got away with it because "it's just a prank bro".
>>
>>47975342
Left is a wyvern, right is a dragon.
>>
>>47985815
>left is a sword, right is a katana
>>
>>47985862
>swords
you blind, mate?
>>
>>47985862
>left is a longsword, right is a katana

And if someone walked into your weeaboo dwelling and remarked on how many nice european longswords you have on your wall you would throw a shitfit.
>>
On a somewhat tangential note; anyone know where to get decent dragonfolk/lizardman miniatures? I'm looking to play a Thrassian in ACKS, but I haven't found a good model.
>>
>>47985815
This is really important, I think you should check this out:
http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/autism-quiz.htm
>>
File: 1341374826148.jpg (398 KB, 898x1000) Image search: [Google]
1341374826148.jpg
398 KB, 898x1000
>>47945784
In my setting, the main dragonborn culture is infuriatingly zen about everything, like Master Oogway from Kung-Fu Panda.
>>
>>47945784
have them look like this
>>
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164 KB, 800x800
>>47986917
>>
>>47945939
This picture is making me gay.
>>
>>47986277
A better comparison would be left is an arming sword, right is a katana really an uchigatana, but I won't judge today or left is a longsword, right is a Oodachi
>>
>>47982484
http://4archive.org/board/tg/thread/44156053

Here is one of the threads on the subject.

There was at least one previous one.
>>
>>47972721
>>47975034
They are reptiles or reptile like creatures infected and mutated by the Hist.

The Hist is a sentient and semi-sapient sap like substance that lives in most of the vegetation of Black Marsh and has also infected most of the animals binding everything into a very loose hive-mind.

The Hist is native to the previous Kalpa and briefly migrated to Oblivion to wait out the changing of the universe.
>>
>>47986814
Where'd you get this image, and are there others like it? Would make great character art for a dragonborn/lizardfolk monk.
>>
File: 1365484200560.jpg (1 MB, 901x1653) Image search: [Google]
1365484200560.jpg
1 MB, 901x1653
>>
File: .jpg (1 MB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1200
>>
>>47962350
She's a vegetable.
>>
>>47988772
No idea where it's from, I actually got here on /tg/ several years ago.
>>
>>47995624
Well, judging by the art-style, the fact that 2012 was the year of the dragon and knowing the people on this board, if I had to guess it was made by someone who draws furry porn on pixiv.
>>
How about this: all dragons start as dragonborn, but this is not commonly known. Dragonborn are like lobsters in that they have no natural old age, but most are killed before they can become dragons. Once they become old enough (1000 years) they reach a "cacoon stage" where they devolve into eggs. They are adopted by a dragon and sat on until they hatch, the dragon adding their own imprint and magical/genetic gifts that are magically transferred through the nesting process. Hence the common misconception that they are 2 different species. Any dragonborn who is a player character has lived for 900+ years and has survived through the brutal culling process of the early years (most dragonborn are brutal savages for the first several hundred years and the survivors are incredibly rare - thus they suffer severe penalties to outside social interactions). To know about the connection between the dragonborn and dragons could be the end treasure on a quest, and to find a patron dragon could be another quest. At level 20 the character devolves into an egg and is hatched later as a baby dragon. How about that? It gives goodies to the guy playing a dragonborn and several adventure plot hooks.
>>
>>47949436
You could do that. I'd rather just have a setting innately superpowered, and not have to worry about people trying to make fighters "realistic".

"Your warrior can take a meteor to the face and survive because he's really tough (and tough people can survive that stuff in this setting, much like DBZ), and he can teleport short distances and turn into a dragon because [explanation of setting elements here]".

>>47959153
That's one approach.

I just have PCs not be weird at all, and treat them like shadowrunners (as in people hire them to deal with challenges that aren't far beyond their abilities). Level 8 characters are not unusually powerful. There's lots of level 8 characters in the world, though probably not that many in a small village. You want to save the world, get to 15+, and you'll start facing threats to cities, countries, continents, etc.

As in: Yes, your level 5 magus can beat face pretty decently. And by "pretty decently" I don't mean "savior of the kingdom" I mean "Magus 5 is a plausible build for a decent town guard".

It works pretty well, but my D&D settings in *No* way resemble medieval Europe. Most often they're more of a mashup between Planescape, Ravnica, and Shadowrun.

If I want more of a lower magic fantasy game, instead of Fantasy Superheroes, Yes, I could change class selection and then run E6, but I'd rather switch over to d20Conan or RuneQuest/BRP/Stormbringer or Unisystem or GURPS and use that instead.
>>
>>47945784
PC like them in my home games, here's how I handle them:

World is basically carved up into territories by powerful creatures (Dragons, Demons, Genies, ONI, etc).

All of these things often intermix with the lesser races (humans, elves, dwarves, orcs).

Being part dragon tends to make you be in a higher caste of people in the dragon countries.

Sometimes fullblooded dragons turn themselves into dragon people for short time periods to move amongst the people they rule over more easily (space constraints).

I like your pic, btw. Interesting take on dragon people.
>>
>>47946028
Those are Drakes. Last I checked they never become full sized dragons.

But yes, that's more dragon than D&D includes for the players.

>>47972648
This campaign certainly didn't start at level 1.
>>
>>47979911
For a human to fly, our wings would need to be like 50-60ft wingspan. A dragonborn looks a lot heavier to me, what with all the scales N shit, so it'd probably be in the range of like 80ft wingspan.
Thats like, over two turns movement to run from one tip to the next. Thats /insane/. I think babby vestigial wings are more appropriate, maybe just long enough to glide or assist a jump.
>>
>>47985815
Left is a drake. Wyverns have poisonous tails, and hair.

However, in the Elder Scrolls setting, all dragons are drakes, and the things with 4 legs plus wings are daedra that vaguely resemble dragons.
>>
>>47979109
>giving players the ability to fly is FAR too overpowered to be allowed
Flight is pretty common in D&D dude, just not at the low levels.

>also implied to be at level 1 since they were born with wings
So have the "Level 1" equivalent of your dragon people be juvenile or infants, or even have them hatch with abilities beyond level 1.Not all monstrous races can make a plausible level 1 character.

However, such a character isn't really that out of line by level 7 or 8.

There's nothing saying that you have to start at level 1, or that all your homebrewed monster race needs to be playable at level 1.

>Making dragons without wings or vestigial wings is far better for playable characters.
And removes much of the appeal of playing dragons.

>It's no different then letting players play as undead or constructs and realizing that you just invalidated half of the human weaknesses.
I let players play as undead or constructs in most of my campaigns. It's never been an issue.
>>
>>47980013
And you're not getting a full attack.

And if you're flying in place, odds are you're not stable enough to have an easy time with archery.
>>
>>47982770
Now that's quite interesting. I like it.
>>
>>47987053
If you're gay you were gay to start with.
>>
>>47945784
More emphasis on dragon penis.
>>
>>47996657
>our wings would need to be like 50-60ft wingspan
That seems overlarge.

Anybody have the math skills to determine the actual size needed, or a source with the answer spelled out?
>>
>>47997042
Not that guy, and I think he's overshot the required wingspan, but here's the best example I could find https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentavis
>7m wingspan
>70kg
>>
>>47997163
That's much closer to what I would have expected.

I have read that Dragon wings are often drastically undersized if they are supposed to be as dense as they're often portrayed to be, and it only makes sense if dragons are deceptively lightweight, such as if significant portions of their bulk come from pockets of hydrogen or the like.
>>
>>47997934
Keep in mind an adult human is in the ballpark of 70kg, and that doesn't include the musculature to use the wings or the wings themselves.

An adult human is still probably sporting a 40 foot wingspan.
Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.