[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any tips for a first time Magus?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: COAa85hWcAQgtak.jpg (102 KB, 600x923) Image search: [Google]
COAa85hWcAQgtak.jpg
102 KB, 600x923
Any tips for a first time Magus?
>>
>Shocking Grasp is probably your best direct damage spell to be using with spell-combat, as you get a +2 to hit anything in metal armor.
>>Empower spell and Maximize spell metamagic feats can get the damage of shocking grasp up to extreme numbers consistently
>Magical Lineage feat can lower the slot cost of using one of these
>Elemental spell can change shocking grasp's element if the GM starts throwing electric-resistant enemies at you.

Aside from that, if you're not looking to min-max super hard, you're best off focusing on self-buffs. Mirror Image, Flight, Haste, ect. You're pretty much a fighter with super powers. Focusing on direct-damage magic will just leave you feeling like an inferior wizard, since you get higher-level spell slots slower. It's also worth noting, that since self-buffs can't fail, you don't need a huge intelligence investment to sue them, leaving you free to put the points into other much-needed stats.

Hexcrafter Magus best Magus Archetype. Take the Flight Hex, of course.
>>
>>47933360
Don't play Pathfinder
>>
>>47933687
Trust me I tried to get the DM not to and play DnD but he would't budge, I wont piss off the rest of the group by being that guy.
>>
File: all hope lost.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
all hope lost.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
>>47933687
Oh for fucks sake, would you guys just stop. Yes, 5e is better. Yes, games that aren't DnD are better. The fuck do you care what people do in their free time though? You guys are worse than over-invested fanboys trying to justify their choice of console purchase on /v/. It's just so very, very, very, very, draining to see anymore.
>>
>>47933717
>expecting shitposters to stop shitposting
I admire your resolve, anon, but they don't care about your opinion. They don't care about anything. That's why they shit up boards.
>>
If you hit higher levels, don't forget to pick up Intensified Spell, It'll keep shocking grasp competitive at higher levels. Also, keep in mind there's nothing stopping you from dropping a buff on yourself with spell combat. Oh, and if you want to be a jerk then see if you can pick up a spell storing weapon.
>>
>>47933360

Don't waste your time on utility crap, just max out on kill spells.
>>
>>47933779
I should say I decided to go with a Greatsword, though I have been thinking of trading it in for a Bastard Sword, I also have burning and ice hands. I think we did enough shit last session to get us to 3rd Level so i have no idea what im going to take.
>>
>>47933791
>Catalog
Why though? The magus is a terrible character for most kill-spells. Wizards, Witches, Sorcs, ect. all get kill spells faster and don't need to be invested in stats besides Int to use them efficiently.
>>
>>47933841
OP here, I was under the impression that I just used my spells as a buffer for my attacks, or am I wrong?
>>
>>47933873
Yeah, but all the best spells for delivering with melee-attacks are low level stuff.

When someone says "kill spells" I imagine the big AOE explosions and Save-or-Die stuff.
>>
>>47933717
I personally don't shit up generals, just threads like this to trigger fools like you senpai
>>
>>47933896
I read up on a spell for 3rd level that lets me shower an enemy with acid and fire damage, would that be a good idea?
>>
>>47933940
Isn't third level when you get stuff like Haste and Fly? You're 3rd level spell slots are limited and powerful, don't waste them on an attack that lasts one turn then goes away when you can have buffs that last multiple turns and open up tons of options.
>>
Look, it's cool you want to keep shitposting, but we can see the post-count isn't rising, so it's clear you're just the same guy posting over and over. If you don't have anything useful to contribute to the thread, please just leave.
>>
>>47933360
When you're about to summon Lavos you're going to get interrupted by some teenaged ginger with a katana, that guy you turned into a werefrog, and a purple-haired bitch with a plasma gun she got in the future.
Weird, I know. But trust me on this.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.