[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Low-fantasy magic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 14323579864126887656.jpg (221 KB, 858x1100) Image search: [Google]
14323579864126887656.jpg
221 KB, 858x1100
Alright /tg:, I'm searching for some way to emulate magic as used by Silfe in Berserk.
Keep in mind that I am in no way an expert of the setting and just happened to stumble on the concerned chapters. I also don't want to recreate exactly the magic described, but take the work already done to use it in a generic low fantasy setting. (But if there is already a Berserk RPG or anything that already did the work, I'd be interest to look into it).

I noted three interesting points that took my attention:
- You can pretty much summon any spell you can comprehend, but powerful spell also means you need a higher control on your emotions and a strong attache point to the material world if you do not want to be submerged by the power and lose yourself. So it's up to the spellcasters to decide what quantity of power they want to use and the risk they take (and enforce consequences of their actions on the caracters, so if a spellcaster really goes overboard he will suffer drawbacks, including loosing control and becoming dangerous, dying, ect...). You also need more time to actually make the spell work.
- As you need to tap into the spiritual world you need to abandon your control or perception on the physical world, and thus your body, leaving you in a state of transe during the incantation. You also need to have a clear mind and be in control of your emotions.
- You need a ritual circle as a focus to your powers. Physically drawing it allows for better precision and control but you can also just visualize it, allowing for less prep time. A wand or a staff are also good tools to enhance accuracy.

Anyting else I should look into? Some other ways to do magic in a low-fantasy setting as close as possible to actual medieval history? I though about Alchemy or Herboristery. Maybe giving some power to prayers? (Could be interesting to hide what bonuses they get to the playrs, or if they get bonuses at all).
>>
Schierke a best

>that delicious backstory
>>
>>47914249
>Schierke
So that's her name. The scans I read said "Slife". Note to self: I need to find other scans.
>>
>>47914401
>slife

Good lord. Were they portuguese scans or something?
>>
>>47914510
French actually. I instantly saw they where pretty bad but i didn't planned to get hooked on the serie, and i was too lazy to change.
Now I definitely will though.
>>
>>47914249
>turning Circe, a storied name of myth and legend, into Schierke, a small German town

Terrible.
>>
>>47914156
Berserk also has magic users usually asking to borrow the powers of an element or fey. Re-read the fire wheel bit; she has to ask the flame elemental(s?) to grant her their power to animate the giant wooden wheel into a roaring death machine of fire and ground up corpses.

Berserk's magic reminds me a bit of how magic works in Conan. Usually spell casters in Conan made pacts or worshipped dark gods in exchange for their power in the form of spells and enchanted items. Berserk is actually less dark in this regard since Schierke asks the elements and fey for power and not evil gods.
>>
>>47914911
I assumed the fey/dark power/forgotten god/ancien pact invoke would be represented by the spells themselves. Linking them to specific places and shit is waaaay more work than I am willing to do (and doens't sounds all that good for an adventuring party. That would mean the powers of the spellcaster are only up to the GM, so they never really know what they are capable of).
>>
I haven't actually played it, but I've heard the 'Thieve's World' RPG has a similar magic set-up ; E.G. Prep-time, casting circles, Power for a price type of thing
>>
>>47914156
Maybe split between minor power, little tricks you can easily do, and major powers with bigger effect.
>>
>>47914401
The other characters are Guts, not Gattsu, Casca, Serpico, Farnese, Isidro, not Ishidoro, Puck, not Pakku, Ilavera, and Isma.

Also it's the Band of the Falcon, not hawk, which NO translation gets right.
>>
>>47915676
Heh, funnily enought the one I read got it right.
But then again, hawk and falcon are the same word in french...

>>47915183
I just downloaded it and it sounds pretty interesting. I may tone it down a level or two but that's good material. Thanks.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.