[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Social Encounters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
What games have rules for socializing/character interactions that are both engaging and practical?
>>
>>47911053
>>
>>47911301
>>
>>47911053
>socializing/character interactions
Not sure what you mean.

The Luke Crane games have the Duel of Wits.

In Fate games it can resolve just like combat.

In The Mountain Witch you can define other PCs' backgrounds with Trust Points to get them killed.

In BRP games the balance of social skills like Intimidate, Persuade, Fast Talk, and Charm fundamentally shapes the flavor of the game.

In Paranoia the characters get their secrets and mutations issued by the GM.
>>
>>47913815
>In The Mountain Witch you can define other PCs' backgrounds with Trust Points to get them killed.
that is extremely interesting

and you assumed correctly as to what I meant.
I'm wanting to research social mechanics that go beyond putting points in your diplomacy skill.
>>
HOW TO SOCIAL LIKE A NORMAL HUMAN
>RIGHT WAY
"I rolled a 15, okay lemme think about how to state this. "I want to sleep with you bar wench." Everyone laughs and the bar wench slaps him and the player laughs."

>WRONG WAY
"I rolled a 13, so they will give me all their gold and devote themselves to me right?" DM informs them that is wrong. "FUCK YOU YOU RAIL ROADING FUCK HOW DARE YOU NOT ALLOW MY DRUID GNOME TO NOT BECOME A DEMI GOD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Any questions?
>>
File: 1263992689826.jpg (80 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1263992689826.jpg
80 KB, 720x480
>>47915804
Are you having fun?
>>
>>47913815
>In Paranoia the characters get their secrets and mutations issued by the GM.
What version of Paranoia should I try. My group is interested but I'm not sure which version would be best for a first time group.
>>
>>47915896
I am.

Even when we encounter people who do the wrong way, we tend to have fun before the clean up afterwards.
>>
File: 1398236294108.gif (465 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1398236294108.gif
465 KB, 480x270
>>47916031
Well that's what matters I guess.
>>
>>47911053

Look up Hillfolk by Robin Laws. It's based around an engine called The Drama System, and you can bolt it on top of any other RPG you like, as it's purley drama and social mechanics, resolving combats is up to your system of choice.
>>
>>47911053

Dogs In The Vineyard has a pretty interesting take on both social conflict and how that can escalate. You basically bid and raise against each other with skills/traits that have different dice size depending.

>>47915922
Not that guy, but I've only played 1st edition and the fiasco playset. Both are worth looking at.
>>
File: 96748.jpg (65 KB, 220x285) Image search: [Google]
96748.jpg
65 KB, 220x285
>>47911053
I don't know about WFRP as a system, but I stole some social rules from Lure of Power for a Dark Heresy mission and they worked pretty well.
>>
>>47911053
Exalted has rules for social combat.
>>
I like the String rules from Monsterhearts. They represent your leverage over other characters, and you can have them on PCs as well. They never let you CONTROL someone else, but they let you heavily incentivise or disincentivise courses of action.

e.g. if you have the "Don't Walk Out On Me" move then if someone that you have a String on walks away from you, they have to give you yet another String, which you can use to fuck them over at a later time.
>>
Bump-ro-da
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.