[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the difference between a gnome and a hobbit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 980x.jpg (139 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
980x.jpg
139 KB, 720x960
What is the difference between a gnome and a hobbit?
>>
Gnomes are faggots.
>>
>>47876524
>Halflings/Hobbits are tiny humans, with some extra hair.
They typically get a DEX Bonus and CON Penalty.

Halflings are boring as fuck.

>Gnomes have funny voices and big heads, and play with tech and magic a lot. They blow things up, build machines, keep badgers as pets, have the ability to talk to burrowing mammals as though they were people, and hang out with dwarves/coexist with dwarves in dwarven kingdoms.
They get a CON Bonus and STR penalty.

Gnomes are amusing, but also kindof obnoxious.

You might as well be comparing humans and orcs. Aside from a size similarity, there are basically no commonalities.

If I allow either one when I GM, it's Gnomes.
>>
Hobbits have hairy feet. Gnomes have illusions.
>>
>>47876864

> CON Penalty.

Why? I thought the point of Tolkien's Hobbits was they're deceptively hardy.

Wouldn't an Int penalty make sense since they're not particularly worldly or knowledgeable about stuff that doesn't involve cooking?
>>
I still have yet to hear a good reason for their only being one small race allowed when there are about a half-dozen strictly human heighted races allowed by default with no grumbling whatsoever.
>>
>>47877022

I take default race lists as more of a menu than a "You must include these races in your game".
>>
File: gnomes a shit.jpg (624 KB, 910x1456) Image search: [Google]
gnomes a shit.jpg
624 KB, 910x1456
Halflings are food-loving bros that are deceptively courageous despite their size and lifestyle tendencies.

Gnomes are lying, murderous scum of the earth.
>>
>>47877099
Koboldfag, we're not buying into your propaganda. We're onto you.
Seriously though, I like Kobolds and Gnomes, I like to include both as playable races, and have both think the other race's creator god royally fucked them. Good times.

>>47876958
I see your argument. IIRC their deceptive hardiness was handled as them being unusually lucky when it comes to saving their own skin, and they get a racial luck bonus on all their saves.

So their CON is low in general, but when it comes to FORT saves it's the same as a human. But their DEX and Will are higher than normal.
>>
>>47876524
One is a garden decoration. The other is a gnome.
>>
File: nerdz.jpg (56 KB, 917x570) Image search: [Google]
nerdz.jpg
56 KB, 917x570
We have this thread every week. And you would have known the answer if you took 5 minutes to look up halflings and gnomes in any fantasy setting.

Halflings are Hobbits with the serial numbers filed off. They're little guys with hairy feet who like simple rural living and have a thievery gimmick because they needed to be pigeonholed into an RPG class system. They're stout and more similar to humans.

Gnomes are based on small folk of European folklore. They're mischievous and adept at illusion magic. They are whimsical and fae-like, usually sporting weird hair and always yearning for pranks and adventure. In some settings, the metalwork affinity of the dwarves has rubbed off onto the gnomes and, combined with their penchant for mischief, made them into crazed inventors.

They're even less mutually exclusive than humans, elfs and orcs.
>>
File: OrcvsElfEberron.jpg (79 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
OrcvsElfEberron.jpg
79 KB, 750x600
Gnomes have a secret police, a monopoly on the fuel needed for airships, and the magical bloodline related to communication.

Halflings ride dinosaurs and have the magical bloodline related to healing.
>>
>>47877333
This anon knows what's up.
>>
>>47876524
Entirely political, that is: taxonomy gotten out of hand to the point where even the slightest physical difference, between two otherwise congruent biological beings, is grounds enough for classifying a "new race".
In short: misanthropy
>>
>>47877218
>>47876864
Nope. Halflings have been +Dex / -Str since the beginning.
>>
>>47876524

Gnomes are elves, whereas Hobbits stem from mannish stock. Don't you even into Tolkien?
>>
>>47876524
gnomes are the most awful and boring fantasy trope ever INVENTED

halflings are awesome because everything in lotr was awesome
>>
One is rural as fuck (and sneaky as fuck, but they don't really give a shit about it) and one is magic as fuck
>>47876864
The traditional things are a strength penalty for halflings (maybe wisdom too, but it meant less back then) and an int bonus for gnomes, but I think 3rd ed gave them a con bonus instead for whatever reason
>>
>>47880036
Would gnomes be more interesting if they were less whimsical and more earthy, or would that just make them a poor man's generic dwarf?
>>
>>47880178
That already is one aspect of gnomes. The "David the Gnome" type is really just as valid as the WoW tinker faggot
>>
gnomes are jews, halfings/hobbits are gypsies
>>
>>47876524
We've had plenty of these threads faggot.

>Gnomes are fey and more magical.
As opposed to,
>Hobbits are pastoral and down to earth.

That's it. Any other major difference is up to your individual setting/world.
>>
Hobbits are farmers that make pies. Gnomes are wacky mad scientists that make steampunk bullshit.
>>
>>47876524
Hobbits are a simple folk who will never the less surprise you with their courage and fortitude.
Gnomes are just for faggots.
>LE SMALL BUT SMART RACE
>HUGE HEADS SO QT :DDDDD
>I'M A GNOME WARRIOR SO SMALL BUT SO TOUGH XD

Hobbits: Lord of the Rings
Gnomes: World of Warcraft
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.