[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So does the average human in 40k know of the Primarchs, the Horus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: The Imperial Palace.jpg (527 KB, 1920x894) Image search: [Google]
The Imperial Palace.jpg
527 KB, 1920x894
So does the average human in 40k know of the Primarchs, the Horus Heresy and Traitor Marines. Or do they not?

I ask because I recently read ADBs Cadian Blood and Emperors Gift (I know, they're BL books, so I realise their canonicity is questionable at best, but still) and there seems to be some contradiction.

>Cadian Blood
>Cadian protag and Inquisitor are at one point talking about the Horus Heresy (though admittedly they do not mention the Primarchs) and at no point does the Cadian express disbelief or shock at the idea of the Horus Heresy or traitor marines
>He and the rest of the Guard taskforce, some which are not Cadians, have also been fighting the Plague Marines on the planet for a good long while by that point

>Emperors Gift
>During the purging of Armaggedon, the protagonists says something along the lines of "No imperial citizen must ever know that one of the Emperors sons turned against him."

So is it okay to know about the Traitor Marines but not about the traitor Primarchs? From what I gathered the loyal Primarchs are known, even if some people believe them to be, like the Marines, legends rather than real. There are apperantly statues of them around the Imperial Palace on Terra and there's that whole Sanguinala thing, though I dont if thats still canon.

Or is this just one of those things in 40k where the lore is just unclear and it constantly varies from author to author?
>>
>>47854464
>Primarchs
They are saints of cult imperialis
>the Horus Heresy
Hell no
>Traitor Marines
Doubtfully. If there's no invasions of them why should citizens know that even empraz fynest can fall
>>
>>47854464
Black library books are all over the place with the fluff, so you can find support for all sorts of nonsense in them if you try.

There is no "right" answer to this question, it just relies on what author you ask or what the writers feel like at the moment.
>>
>>47854464

Considering the vast size of the Imperium, a lot of this probably depends on who you are and what sort of world you live on. If you live on Cadia and have to deal with Abbadon and his shit or if you live on some sort of Administratum hub where there's a lot of awareness of galactic events/politics, I imagine you probably know of the basics. But if you're toiling in some forge world manufactorum or farming on an agri-world, you probably don't know dick about the terrors that lurk beyond, including the Traitor Legions and their history.
>>
>>47854464
>primarchs

you would know of figures like sanguinius and so on because they're all sons of the emperor and saints besides. Keep in mind all this shit happened literally 10,000 years ago, as a point of reference we're only mostly pretty sure about WHERE we were 10k years ago, we have no idea what anyone was doing or why they were doing it or even who was doing it. Now I know this is a false analogy because there wasn't writing back then but the imperium is both very controlling, very large and very prone to random violent bursts of complete anarchy so it should essentially be completely ancient history to anyone who even cares.

>Horus Heresy

Nope, you've never even heard the name horus before, as far as the modern imperium is concerned for the average citizen there were only ever 9 primarchs and they all died various martyr deaths. The rest would have been erased from history, at least as much as the imperium could perform such a deed with most of them still walking around and leading dark crusades and so on. To the modern average joe on some agriworld far from the eye, the 9 traitor primarchs would be exactly like the 2 that we (the audience) currently know nothing about, we merely have outside knowledge which explains everything to us

On the other hand any significant exposure to the chaos space marines as a group kind of blows the whole secret wide open so there would be large swathes of the population who know that SOMETHING went down 10,000 years ago that put the emperor on the throne and that there were actually 18 primarchs and that they all fought a war. Everyone on Cadia is probably aware that a civil war took place but they likely don't know that it was the horus heresy as such

>traitor marines

you would be aware these exist peripherally but their danger would surely be downplayed quite heavily. I imagine it would be presented as a minor problem where a few space marines had gone rogue, nothing to be truly concerned about, carry on citizen.
>>
File: Abaddon.jpg (1 MB, 1400x2124) Image search: [Google]
Abaddon.jpg
1 MB, 1400x2124
>Everyone from scum sucking peasants to the High Lords of Terra know of Abaddon and see him as an Antichrist figure

I thought the Inquisition buried information about Chaos?
>>
>>47856203
Not only that he is a part of the Imperial tarot card collection.
>>
>>47854464
Depends on planet. I'd assume the knowledge of traitor Primarchs would be extremely restricted (can't have people knowing about the Emperor's own sons rebelling against him). Same with traitor marines outside of place like Cadia where the guard regularly has to fight against them.

Horus Heresy is known on some planets at least, but generally as a vaque thing, with no mention of Horus having been a Primarch. Just that some important guy called Horus turned traitor and was slain by the Emperor (and on some planets the fact that this battle is what resulted the Emperor being interred on the Golden Throne, in a "Jesus died for your sins" kind of way), and the lesson is that you should alwasy be watchful of signs of heresy and corruption.
>>
>>47856340
Even if citizens encounter Traitor Marines they would be easily explained away.
Heretics and servants of evil dressed as a sick mockery of the Empire's great protectors. Only a fool would mistake those sad perversions for true Space Marines
That kind of thing
>>
>>47856500
Nah, I think they'd pass it off as something less alien, I think to the average imperial citizen traitor marine is closer to huron blackheart or one of the many petty pirate empries rogue marines have founded and lost of the centuries
>>
File: image.png (773 KB, 760x945) Image search: [Google]
image.png
773 KB, 760x945
>traitor marines

Look upon and despise this traitorous wretch.
So ashamed are they of their 10,000 years of failure, Chaos Space Marines often paint their armour black, the better to go unnoticed and un-mocked.

Note the subject’s hunched and distorted frame. Some Chaos Space Marines are further hampered by malformations and mutations that lessen their combat effectiveness. You’ll notice their wargear is old and antiquated, and their boltguns often lack any ammunition. Most are in such disrepair that they are less effective than even a primitive autogun or stubber.

A Chaos Space Marine is not of threat to a vigilant Guardsman. Be vigilant. Be virtuous. Be victorious.

Failure to read or comply with the above notice will result in summary punishment.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>47854464
Some people know, some think its myth.
Few to none know the details and facts.

Soldiers are more likely to have semi accurate knowledge of the subject.

Poor people know less, upper class people know more.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.