[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What system would you use to run a survival horror game like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: Halo_of_the_Sun.png (115 KB, 2138x2116) Image search: [Google]
Halo_of_the_Sun.png
115 KB, 2138x2116
What system would you use to run a survival horror game like Silent Hill?
>>
File: 1974 Style RULES—2014-03-03.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1974 Style RULES—2014-03-03.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Probably something rules lite, like this.

You can use skills, sanity, etc, and the system is easily added to

>Inb4 GURPS
>>
>>47853331
Call of Cthulhu.
>>
>>47853331
Dread. Haters gonna hate.
>>
Chronicles of Darkness (nWoD 2e). I actually plan on doing a Mage game with a Silent Hill mystery going on.

>>47853485
Which one...? The one with Jenga?

>>47853401
I don't see that working, just in terms of themes.
>>
>>47854174

Call of Cthulhu would work, but you'd have to much easier on the sanity points. Silent Hill fucks with you and makes you paranoid, but it doesn't completely unhinge/mindbreak you.
>>
>>47854478
It does, but only if you're an NPC and fail. My way of looking at it is that the town wants to help you, but is amoral about its therapy.
>>
File: don't open this.png (505 KB, 876x946) Image search: [Google]
don't open this.png
505 KB, 876x946
>>47853331
Picrelated.
>>
>>47854576

However you might feel about it, downpour would be a good example where you see people who have come "Full Circle" and can't leave because they refuse to learn the lessesons the town is trying to teach them and make them own up to their own fuck-ups like the amusement ride operator who kills himself because he refuses to take responsibility for the death of the children on the ride and the cowardly black dude in the radio station who won't leave without someone helping him even though he knows how to get out and the post man who was an escaped slave who killed one of the guys chasing him and refuses to own up to it.

In anycase, Chronicles/WoD in general is my recommendation for a silent hill style game.
>>
>>47853331
FATAL. It does sanity damage IRL.
>>
File: All dem monsters.jpg (540 KB, 1191x822) Image search: [Google]
All dem monsters.jpg
540 KB, 1191x822
>>47853331
Do you already have a story and players lined up OP? I'd love to know what you're planning to do, particularly with matching the monsters to the fears and phobias of your players characters.
>>
Silent Hill 4 is objectively the best game in the series
>>
>>47857492
You take that back shitbag
>>
>>47857492
Your taste is bad, but not the worst. Saying 5 would be unforgiveable.
>>
>>47857492
Which one was that again?
>>
>>47859158

It's the one where Walter Sullivan is trying to perform the 21 Sacraments and revive his "Mother" which is the room the protag Murphey lives in

He gets a brief mention in SHII when you get on the elevator and you get asked the three trivia questions, one of them mentioning Walter and the murder of the twins who are represented by the twin baby monster.
>>
>>47859254
Right, the "was pretty good actually, but probably shouldn't have been Silent Hill" one.
>>
>>47857492
I liked Shattered Memories, I thought it was really fun, and the fact that the combat was removed only improved the experience for me.
>>
GURPS
>>
>>47853331
GURPS Lite.
>>
>>47857492
>Get a load of this skub
>>
>>47853331
Don't Rest Your Head, possibly.
>>
>>47857492
agreed
>>
>>47861329
Like, it wasn't a horror game, and it wasn't really a survival game, so it felt out of place.

Story wise it was great though. That final scene is absolutely amazing to watch.
>>
I'm having flash back of Silent Siren.
>>
>>47853355
GURPS
>>
File: 1259704197994.jpg (247 KB, 823x950) Image search: [Google]
1259704197994.jpg
247 KB, 823x950
>>47857492

>A full two-key typo

Jesus Anon get your shit together.
>>
>>47857492
that's not PT
>>
>>47854642
I haven't played Downpour, but I like Homecoming's lore and Shattered Memories would be better than 2 for me if you took out the chases, so I don't have a kneejerk "Not Team Silent!" reaction.

Also, there IS a Silent Hill homebrew for nWoD1e, though I think with the CofD core and knowledge of the Byzantine and often contradictory lore of the setting, you could probably do a decent game. My Mage city is going to have the Temenos/Primordial Dream basically pulling people into these horrible little naturally occurring Beast Chambers to "help" people get over their Guilt. I might have some Beasts and Circle of the Crone Acolytes, maybe with a few Mystery Cult mortals acting like The Order, thinking that this is the work of the Dark Mother.

>>47857492
>>47858863
Great song, though, but then again all of them are.
https://youtu.be/NdXCsXcs6nA

>>47861329
>>47864272
Shattered Memories was very much Horror. Though the combat wasn't *removed*, just replace with chases that are neat and tense the first few times, but eventually just get tedious and confusing as you run forever through a maze, constantly missing the right turn. I like the puzzles during the chases, but I wish they were handled better. I just realized Harry could run forever because he's already dead
>>
>>47866424
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Siren
>Silent Siren is a Japanese all-female band. It was formed in 2010 of amateur models for fashion magazines.[1][2]
?
>>
>>47853355
What the hell is HD? I assume Hit Die, but there's no reason HD and Level would be different. I wish simple systems like this weren't based on D&D.
>>
>>47871180
Brain fart. Forbidden Siren.
>>
>>47854478
>it doesn't completely unhinge/mindbreak you

That's debatable.
>>
>>47871457
HD is Hit Die, and it's for Monsters, not players.
>>
>>47871464
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren_(video_game)
?
I vaguely recall this series.

>>47871507
Not Cthulhu style. It's guilt that makes people like Eddie go insane, and guilt that makes Angela give in.
Which is also why I feel Silent Hill is either trying to "help" people or simply has punishments based on the way the people themselves feel. Angela feels guilt, even though she killed her abusive rapist father. But... then again, Eddie *doesn't* seem to feel all that guilty. Of course, that's just 2. In 1 Harry is pulled in sort of by accident (or maybe Alessa/Cheryl wanted him to save her? 1 is unplayable for me). In 3, Heather is getting pulled into the town by the cult, and even in The Room Walter is sort of there by accident. In Homecoming I think Alex is also not really guilty of anything, just trying to rescue his brother. It's not like he's a real soldier or anything.

>>47871514
Oh, now I see it. I just skimmed over the monster list. They kept mentioning it in the main rules.
>>
bimp
>>
All Flesh Must Be Eaten if you are running a one shot or a very short campaign.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.