[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what do you think about a MTG movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Magic-the-Gathering.jpg (51 KB, 725x408) Image search: [Google]
Magic-the-Gathering.jpg
51 KB, 725x408
what do you think about a MTG movie?
>>
>>47844376

Might do alright at the box office, but critically it'd be complete dogshit though. With the source material and Hollywood there's no way this could ever be remotely good.
>>
If it isn't the Brother's War, then no go.
>>
Mtg is a great game, but the storylines are all over the fucking place. You might be able to tell a compelling story with brief moments of the fluff, perhaps tempest block with Gerrard as the protagonist(maybe if you guy the guys that made stardust to do it). I kind of agree the brother's war might be doable.

You would need to omit a lot of the complex shit, you couldn't have planeswalking in the movie. Its been some years since I had some film classes, but it would be near impossible to introduce the starting plane and transitioning to a secondary plane without a metric shitton of exposition.

With our current run of luck, they would make a movie about how Jace's spark ignited and it would be edgy as fuck.
>>
>>47844454
>With the source material and Hollywood there's no way this could ever be remotely good.
This.
>>
>>47844376

Considering it has a 100% chance of staring the Jacetice League, I would say it is guaranteed shit.
>>
>>47844376

Well, it can't be about Warcraft 1.

>>47844562
Brother's War at least including a few characters that I give a shit about, and that WotC has been promoting at least semi-recently.
>>
>>47844376
Ice Age Cycle would be awesome as a movie
>>
It could work, but I'd never get the film I'd want.

As an oldfag, I'd fucking love a film about The Brothers War or some other awesome, self contained event in the universe. Yeah, The Brothers War lead to a lot of other stuff, but it also works very well in and of itself as a self contained narrative.

But because of our rotating group of recurring 'walkers, the idea of doing a solid, self contained story doesn't really click with the modern narrative of MtG, and they'd never make a movie about the old stories.
>>
I'll allow it only if Jace dies during the opening credits and doesn't respawn.
>>
>>47844376
With the current tone Magic is taking it'll probably be two hours of black lesbian feminists gloating about how perfect they are
>>
>>47845151
The Brothers war is not nearly as good as people like to think it is, they will be focusing on the recent storyline, and it will be the cringiest thing to watch in years. Magic has always been good at creating interesting moods, worlds and general lore, terrible at specific dialogue, pacing and plots, and is generally all over the place with characters.
>>
I don't think any of my favorite creatures and plainswalkers would see any screen time. I can imagine some pretty awesome scenes that would never happen. Like one when the main characters are fighting a tough battle, then unexpectedly a swarm of Myr come to aid them.
>>
I think Ajani's ignition story could be done well, having a clear ending at the conflux with the fight against Nicol Bolas.
>>
>>47844376
Capeshit is bad enough without the Jacetice League
>>
The sensible thing to do is to make a mostly self-contained story about a new planeswalker on a new plane learning about what planeswalking is and all that origin story jazz that hollywood loves so much, and of course give him some kind of threat that he(she?) defeats by the end of the movie. Throw in some cameos by Jace Cena and maybe one or two other notables (Maybe Bolas was behind the whole thiiiiing!) and make sure that you keep enough recognizably mtg things in there to make it feel distinct.

And then, have Wotc release a set themed around the movie in one of those weird non-standard legal summer slots, like the Conspiracy stuff. Time the release to be near the movie premiere. Maybe hand out mini-boosters to theater patrons? Whatever.
>>
>>47844376
If they made an mtg movie it would have to follow the current walkers for marketing reasons.
Everything about the current walkers' story has been a clusterfuck of characters acting independently on selfish whims and running away, with the exception of a few white walkers who might make okay protagonists. The only way an mtg movie could work is as an avengers style deal with a bunch of people coming together to fight a common enemy, but the only example of that so far is Battle For Zendikar which takes too long to build up to, and the whole explanation for revealing the Eldrazi is really convoluted and full of character motivations that are impossible to relate to. Actually most of magic's story is like that. The Invasion stuff was a solid if rather generic fantasy thing, kind of shocking wizards STILL can't tell a more compelling story than what should be considered a dry as toast basic narrative. Maybe if it was a new story and was competently told, wotc could watch it and learn how to tell a fucking story, but that's really the best case scenario. Daily reminder most fantasy movies are total trash.
>>
File: 1464238685788.jpg (17 KB, 291x324) Image search: [Google]
1464238685788.jpg
17 KB, 291x324
I thought they were already making one. It would probably be shit, but I'd be more interested about how accurate to the game they'd go, and how stuff would be represented on film.
>getting mana screwed
>winning via mill, infect, or other alternate conditions like The Cheese Stands Alone
>that one mage who doesn't sleeve his spells
>main character opens a "tome of random spells" and finds a foil "mythical spell" scroll and he uses it to beat the villain
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.