[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What system would you use for a game set in the world of The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (454 KB, 1200x871) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
454 KB, 1200x871
What system would you use for a game set in the world of The First Law series?
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 250x322) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 250x322
>>47833078
Seeing as it's just a GRRM clone probably pick related.
>>
>>47833105
While I like ASoIaF RPG, I don't think many aspects of it would translate well for this setting.

Clone part is debatable.
>>
>>47833105

warhammer fantasy
GURPS
basic roleplaying game
harnmaster
savage worlds
D&D e6
>>
>>47833445
>e6
Howzat?
>>
>>47833800

most sword and sorcery heroes are above normal humans but still if enemy gangs on them they are at serious disadvantage and have possibility to die.

e6 emulates that. Warriors have around 50-60 hitpoints on lv 5-6. Wizards can cast iconic spells like fireballs and lightning bolt. there are few magical items and they give only minor benfits.

And that works in First Law. All major characters are expert individuals but still humans. Wizards have some seriously strong magic but they die easily.

Also strong magic is rarely if ever used by protagonists of sword and sorcery genre.
>>
>>47833078
I don't know, I just came here to say this:
Fuck Bayaz
>>
>>47833978
>t. Khalul

Bayaz did nothing wrong.
>>
>>47834668

Bayaz was an asshole
Khalul became an asshole out of revenge
Juvens should have been smarter when he picked his apprentices
>>
>>47833962
That also works in Rolemaster, but it works all the way up. It doesn't matter how powerful your characters are, a village of halfling farmers can still kill the shit out of them.
>>
>>47834962
...yeah, but do you really need to put up with Rolemaster for that? A lot of sword and sorcery games handle that power scale well, and not all of them are Charts: The Referencing.
>>
>>47834950
>Juvens should have been smarter when he picked his apprentices
Basically this.

>>47833078
Has anyone here read his Half a [Thing] series?
Can you recommend them?

Also, Cosca for best character
>>
>>47833078
That's kind of a shit map
>>
>>47842138
It is. I always imagined the world as post-apoc flooded Earth. REALLY works well when you follow descriptions of the Old Empire.[/spolier]
>>
>>47842981
How so? That's interesting

Although I don't think that's got enough evidence from memory.
>>
>>47838896
>Has anyone here read his Half a [Thing] series?

Half of the reason I enjoyed The First Law was Steven Pacey's eldergod-tier narration. They replaced him with someone inferior to do Shattered Sea so I gave it a pass. I can't really imagine a YA Joe Abercrombie series. Grimdarkness is one of his defining features.
>>
>>47833078
Song of Swords.
>>
>>47838896
While definitely aimed for a younger audience, Half a King was still a good read.

Dogman a best.
>>
>>47833445
All of these, plus RuneQuest, Song of Swords, and Barbarians of Lemuria.
>>
>>47833105
Pffft. Naw.
Abercrombie can actually write an action scene and doesn't spend hundred thousand words describing food.
>>
File: image.jpg (174 KB, 814x610) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174 KB, 814x610
>>47833078
>Say one thing about Logan Ninefingers, say he's been around the world a bit.
>>
>>47847321
>Say one thing about Logan Ninefingers, say one of his best moments isn't in the main trilogy at all.

Also that he could have totally gone back to the Union, seeing as their king looks up to him a ton
>>
>>47849897
He just wanted nothing more to do with Bayaz if he could possibly pull it off.
And I don't fucking blame him.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.