[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nobilis: So, I tried running it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: Nobilis 3 cover.jpg (64 KB, 220x314) Image search: [Google]
Nobilis 3 cover.jpg
64 KB, 220x314
I've always wanted to run Nobilis, and I ran my first session today. Thanks to my players, we ended up with addictive CGI carrots, a rigged tap-dancing competition between a living glitch and a crab-person diplomat, and the party hitching a trailer to the back of their truck so they could follow the road made of time coming out of a PC's mouth.

Hopefully, the next session will see them actually having tea with the moon.

Does anyone else have any experience with this game? How have your games gone? What kind of insanity have you wrought?
>>
File: DueProcess.jpg (311 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
DueProcess.jpg
311 KB, 1000x563
>>47776278
I've never played it, but a friend of mine is obsessed with it, to the point of writing up page after page of houserules, play aides, examples and alternate settings. At this point she's probably done more to make Nobilis and Chuubo's playable than Moran herself.

Which edition are you playing? Which of the factions do all of your characters work for?
>>
>>47776345
We're playing third edition (hence the pic). Right now we've got characters aligned with Hell (Great Gatsby-inspired 1920s nouveau riche Power of Want), the Dark (probably-monstrous-but-you-can't-really-tell-under-all-the-clothes Power of Instability), and the Wild (trucker Power of Roads who became a god and just kept on truckin'). Our Imperator's one of Aaron's Serpents.

We were pretty tired when we got the Imperator and Chancel creation, so the serpent's a depressed anime fan with severe anxiety and the Chancel looks like a vaporwave music video. It was an interesting experience for the players when half the session took place there. (It's where they got the CGI carrots. The addictiveness was a PC's doing.)
>>
>>47776345 >>47776482

As the "friend of mine [who] is obsessed with it", I approve. I have war stories, mechanical widgets, and random statted-up NPCs at http://eternity-braid.tumblr.com/tagged/nobilis (the blog's actually for a Chuubo's-based book of mine, but that tag's straight Nobilis). If you have any questions, shoot me a Tumblr ask or something (anon's on). I also host a Jenna Moran fanclub chat on Skype, in case you're interested in that kind of thing.
>>
Love this game.

One of my coplayers had a room filled with pencils beneath Atlanta, Georgia. He was Education, so, the logic went, he could control educational supplies, fine, whatever. Why not have underground saferooms you can manipulate?

When I accidentally spawned a hideous all-consuming flesh-abomination (an Actual) above the city, Education expanded the room beneath Atlanta, destroying the sewers and underground infrastructure.

When it was large enough to contain the Actual (couple miles square, I wanna say), he lifted the box-of-pencils out of the ground--further destroying the poor city--boxed up the Actual, and threw the box INTO THE SUN.

We were left with a gaping hole in the middle of city and thousands of people going mad from what they had seen. The party, in an incredibly slapdash attempt at damage control, did the following:

>enchanted the landscape around Atlanta to gradually fill in the hole, when it was needed. (We did nothing to address the destroyed infrastructure).

>enchanted all those driven mad so that their memories of the incident would fade in and out, and made it so they would be unable to speak of the events they had witnessed.

This likely drove them all crazier but the problem /looked/ fixed and that's the important part here, whatever.

Later, the Angel of the Sun showed up, understandably upset that they'd had to unexpectedly take time out of important Angel-of-the-Sun business to smite an eldritch flesh-monster covered in pencils.
>>
>>47776596
>Jenna Moran fanclub chat on Skype

That is intriguing. I actually read some of Magical Bears in the Context of Contemporary Political Theory a while ago, and it was a really fun read. I should probably get into more of her writing.
>>
>>47776666
>Magical Bears in the Context of Contemporary Political Theory

This sounds horrible but I can't argue with those digits
>>
So, what books do i need to play this insane thing?
Can someone provide a link?
>>
File: 1457223171429.jpg (941 KB, 900x1120) Image search: [Google]
1457223171429.jpg
941 KB, 900x1120
>>47777565
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j5pg72f1qc3z6j1/Nobilis+3rd+Edition+Non-Weebaoo+Version.pdf

Right here famulimus
>>
>>47777636
Only this one? there are suplements?
>>
>>47777636
>when you were the one who stripped all the weeb out of it

I really need to try this edition.
>>
>>47778038
For 3rd edition, there's only one, and it's for playing as the antagonists. It's not much use starting out. 2e was similarly unsupported, and 1e was, as far as I know, just one book.
>>
>>47777636
>>47778213
Damn, this cover is ugly as hell.
>>
>>47778439
Wait until you see the art inside :^)
>>
>>47778439
I like it. It's modern.
>>
>>47776278
>Does anyone else have any experience with this game? How have your games gone? What kind of insanity have you wrought?

Currently playing a long-term game with >>47776596 and >>47776665, along other people of the aforementioned skype fanclub thing and it's been ridiculously fantastic. Seriously, most Nobilis games die 0-2 sessions in due to people not knowing what to do or where to go, but this one's managed to go over an entire year and still be consistently awesome.

We've had, in no particular order, a fancy ball party which was wildly interrupted by a falling star falling into a guest, before the whole thing was retconned out of time; a casual and completely improvised fashion heist, which was interrupted by a masked luchador Noble; dastardly conflicts with botanical alchemy gangsters (one of which was basically a Sidereal); a sword which is a story which kills you by hearing it; and other things.
>>
File: 2016_03b_simms_opener.jpg (1023 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
2016_03b_simms_opener.jpg
1023 KB, 1280x800
>>47780891
>most Nobilis games die 0-2 sessions in due to people not knowing what to do or where to go

This isn't exactly a point in the game's favor
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.